Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 14:19   #1
BHPian

195/60/14 - Not many choices?

Hiya Ya'll

It's time to replace the shoes for the city. Currently running on PP1's at 195/60/14.

Went to inquire about the various options that were available in the market and was shown the following:

Bridgestone

195/60/14 ER 60 @ 4050
195/60/14 G III @ 4150

Yokohama

195/60/14 Adrive @ 3650
195/60/14 ES 100 @ 3750

Of the above, i'm inclined towards GIII. However, the comparasion would be against the PP1's and with the GIII's old fashioned and built with old tech, not sure if they would live upto the expectations.
Yokohama did not impress me in particular as the es100 being directional tyre's are not in sync with my preferences while the grip of a drive's looked similar to gps2, which, needless to say is a useless piece of rubber.

So, what are the alternatives? XM1+ ???. 15" is not an option at the moment and PP1's are not available.

Requirements
1. Good grip like PP1's, better braking distances
2. Mileage. Should be able to achieve at least 40K
3. Comfort on low speeds

Appreciate your opinion people.

Cheers!
m2s
Old 18th March 2010, 14:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

The PP2s were discontinued just a couple months back.
They've been replaced by Michelin Pilot Sports 3. But, sizes like 185/60/R14 and 195/60/R14 have not been replaced. :(

You could check out the extreme performance tyre from Yokohama - Advan Neova.

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed
the grip of a drive's looked similar to gps2, which, needless to say is a useless piece of rubber
Old 18th March 2010, 14:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

I'm having BS Turanza ER60 195 60 R14 running on my Verna. I would say its a great all round performer.
Old 18th March 2010, 17:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of the above, i'm inclined towards GIII. However, the comparasion would be against the PP1's and with the GIII's old fashioned and built with old tech, not sure if they would live upto the expectations.
Dont buy the G3s. You dont get the Japanese made tyres anymore and the quality of the Indian version is a let down. I had bought my set of Japanese G3s for Rs. 3,500 each, so Rs. 4,150 for the Indian version is expensive.

You can try Apollo Acceleres also, have heard good reviews about it.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 18th March 2010 at 17:13.
Old 18th March 2010, 17:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have a 195/60 r14 profile running on my corsa. I have good year eagle f1 gsd 3. They are okay on grip levels but road noise seems to be a lot.
Old 19th March 2010, 00:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
The PP2s were discontinued just a couple months back.
They've been replaced by Michelin Pilot Sports 3. But, sizes like 185/60/R14 and 195/60/R14 have not been replaced. :(

You could check out the extreme performance tyre from Yokohama - Advan Neova.
Thanks Nitrous. Yeah, it seems like all the tyre companies and alloy manufactures are in cahoots and are conspiring against us enthusiasts.Imagine nothing half decent is available in 14" even if it's for a 77bhp struggling honda city.

I did check out Yok's too. However, it seems that Advan is not available in this size and start from 15"onwards. However, I would love to be corrected on this if someone could point me towards a shop who has advan's in stock in Delhi. This is one tyre which looked "neat"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
I'm having BS Turanza ER60 195 60 R14 running on my Verna. I would say its a great all round performer.
Hi Mate. How would you compare the ER60 with the Michelin's or any other tyre? more positives or negatives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Dont buy the G3s. You dont get the Japanese made tyres anymore and the quality of the Indian version is a let down. I had bought my set of Japanese G3s for Rs. 3,500 each, so Rs. 4,150 for the Indian version is expensive.

You can try Apollo Acceleres also, have heard good reviews about it.

Shan2nu
Thanks Shan but someohow it seems that the medium rubber compound and the grove design offered by GIII is the only one which appears OK amongst all the others. The XM1+ although has a good grip, the rubber was too soft for my liking, suggesting that it would be a ideal candidate for cuts and @ 4600 a piece and the michelin poll going on, it sounds like a risky proposition.

Where did you buy your GIII's from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
I have a 195/60 r14 profile running on my corsa. I have good year eagle f1 gsd 3. They are okay on grip levels but road noise seems to be a lot.
Noise aside buddy, how do they appear on the mileage. I read that on GTO's Benz they wore out pretty fast. How much have they clocked on them. Any pics you could put up?

Guys, How about Kumho @ 3300 a piece of BF GoodRich G sport @ 3800?
Old 19th March 2010, 01:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

M2S, check with BK Tyres in Lajpat Nagar, New Delhi for the tyres.

And check if Yokohama A539 is available in this size, great tyre with amazing grip. A bit noisy, but better than GIII.

Last edited by tsk13 : 19th March 2010 at 01:36.
Old 19th March 2010, 02:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

m2s if you think the GIII's don't fit the bill for you, go the Apollo Accelere way. They aint that bad when it comes to handling and road noise.
The sidewalls are pretty sturdy and doesn't give the feel of a hard ride. Also am sure they will easily last you 40k clicks under sedate driving conditions.
Old 19th March 2010, 02:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Shan but someohow it seems that the medium rubber compound and the grove design offered by GIII is the only one which appears OK amongst all the others. The XM1+ although has a good grip, the rubber was too soft for my liking, suggesting that it would be a ideal candidate for cuts and @ 4600 a piece and the michelin poll going on, it sounds like a risky proposition.

Where did you buy your GIII's from?
Well, my experience with the Jap G3s has been fantastic so far. Braking and cornering, even in the wet is impressive.

But im not sure how the Indian made ones are. I saw one recently on a friends swift and the treads didn't seem well cut, the shoulder buttons were almost touching each other (unless they have changed the design).

I bought my G3 in Hubli itself.

Heres my review : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...mpression.html

Shan2nu
Old 19th March 2010, 02:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
M2S, check with BK Tyres in Lajpat Nagar, New Delhi for the tyres.

And check if Yokohama A539 is available in this size, great tyre with amazing grip. A bit noisy, but better than GIII.
Thanks for the info Tanveer. Will check it out in a couple of hours after this post . How's the while elephant treating you these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
m2s if you think the GIII's don't fit the bill for you, go the Apollo Accelere way. They aint that bad when it comes to handling and road noise.
The sidewalls are pretty sturdy and doesn't give the feel of a hard ride. Also am sure they will easily last you 40k clicks under sedate driving conditions.
I saw the AA's. However, have not heard much about them so if someone is using AA's, a review now would be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Well, my experience with the Jap G3s has been fantastic so far. Braking and cornering, even in the wet is impressive.

But im not sure how the Indian made ones are. I saw one recently on a friends swift and the treads didn't seem well cut, the shoulder buttons were almost touching each other (unless they have changed the design).

I bought my G3 in Hubli itself.

Heres my review : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...mpression.html

Shan2nu
Neat review Shan - The design pattern of the Indian GIII's looked exactly the same as what you posted in the pic. I wonder what the difference could be for?

Still waiting for an opinion from the rest of ya a'll. BF GoodRich, Gsport? Any feedback?
Old 19th March 2010, 09:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

The Goodyear eagle F1 gsd 3 in the ford fusion was completely bald at 20K. I've heard a lot of good about the Michelin XM1+.
Old 19th March 2010, 09:23   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Advan Neovas are available in 195/60 R14. I'm using them on the NHC Vtec.

You could look at the Conti CPC. It's waaay better to any of the other tyres available in that price range. It will cost a bit cheaper than the GIII.
Old 19th March 2010, 10:03   #13
BHPian

Another option would be BFGoodrich 195/60 14". Paid around 4k in Bangalore

I had them on my Palio and are really hot.
Have run around 20k on these tyres and they still look as good as new.
Old 19th March 2010, 16:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
Thanks for the info Tanveer. Will check it out in a couple of hours after this post . How's the while elephant treating you these days?
You're Welcome. By the way Elephant, what's that? Decipher please.
Old 19th March 2010, 17:36   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Advan Neovas are available in 195/60 R14. I'm using them on the NHC Vtec.

You could look at the Conti CPC. It's waaay better to any of the other tyres available in that price range. It will cost a bit cheaper than the GIII.
Yeah. I did look at the Advan Neovas today. However, the dealer did not recommend these due to low mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumars View Post
Another option would be BFGoodrich 195/60 14". Paid around 4k in Bangalore

I had them on my Palio and are really hot.
Have run around 20k on these tyres and they still look as good as new.
I was inclined towards these and almost picked them up too before I was shown the CPC. Picked up the CPC today @ 3700 a piece including the valves. Haven't been able to put them on yet as the vehicle needs some work before the wheels can go on.

My reason for not picking up the Goodrich's were firm ride on low speeds

Apprecaite everyone's input. A detailed review on the PP1's and an initial review on the CPC will be put up shorty

Cheers!

Most Viewed