Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2010, 11:32   #1
BHPian

Esteem - Tyres touching after upgrade

Hi Guys,

I won Esteem VXI 2007 model, recently I have upgraded from stock tyres 175 , 70, R13 to MICHELIN Energy XM1+ one upsize 185, 70, R13. the tyre dealer assured me that he had fitted these tyres previously to esteem so there is no touching of these tires to the body any any circumstances, on that bases i fitted.

Whenever I take a U turn on full lock I use to get this rubbing sound from the front wheels so I took it to mechanic and asked him to check, he opened and then i realized that the tyre was rubbing to the body when i m taking u turn. the tires fitted on stock drums.

Guys this is a serious problem as i have already spent more than 15+ K on these tyres and in no mood to change the tyres again. pls. help me solve this issue.

what is the best solution?

I heard that if one change from stcok drums to mag wheels this may solve the issue, if so then what kind of alloys or mag wheels i should go for?

thanks in advance.
Old 29th March 2010, 12:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack View Post
Hi Guys,

I won Esteem VXI 2007 model, recently I have upgraded from stock tyres 175 , 70, R13 to MICHELIN Energy XM1+ one upsize 185, 70, R13. the tyre dealer assured me that he had fitted these tyres previously to esteem so there is no touching of these tires to the body any any circumstances, on that bases i fitted.

Whenever I take a U turn on full lock I use to get this rubbing sound from the front wheels so I took it to mechanic and asked him to check, he opened and then i realized that the tyre was rubbing to the body when i m taking u turn. the tires fitted on stock drums.

Guys this is a serious problem as i have already spent more than 15+ K on these tyres and in no mood to change the tyres again. pls. help me solve this issue.

what is the best solution?

I heard that if one change from stcok drums to mag wheels this may solve the issue, if so then what kind of alloys or mag wheels i should go for?

thanks in advance.
Hi,

I suspect your tire size. As your stock size is 175/70/R13 and you have fitted 185/70/R13 which means you have increased the width by 10mm and kept everything else the same which has resulted in the tires touching on full lock. The tire dealer has obviously got the size wrong. Changing to alloy wheels will not solve the problem. Your problem will be solved if you change your tires to the correct size i.e. 185/65/R13.
Old 29th March 2010, 12:42   #3
BHPian

I think if you can change to the alloys with some offset like 6.5, 7 etc may solve ur prob. Let our auto gurus to confirm it before making a final call.

Cheers!
Old 29th March 2010, 13:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey Joe, I agree with Epic. You have increased the width of the rubber and I suspect the outer walls (Could be along with the inner ones) are scrapping the chassis everytime you make a complete turn.

I am not an expert but I have following suggestions:

As posted by Epic U can decrease the profile on the rubber which might fix the issue.
OR
Install a "Spacer" which you should get from any Alloy wheel dealer. Not sure if you can fit one to Esteem with stock rims, but if you can my bet is this would fix it!!
Old 29th March 2010, 15:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
As your stock size is 175/70/R13 and you have fitted 185/70/R13 which means you have increased the width by 10mm and kept everything else the same
Not just the width, the side wall height has also increased. As you know the second number (185/70/R13) is the ratio of height of the sidewall to the width of the tire expressed as a percentage. In your case, the tire width has increased by 10mm and the tire diameter by (10*.7*2) = 14mm. So you now have a broader tire which is also bigger.
Old 29th March 2010, 18:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Change Your Tires ASAP!!!

Hi Joe,

I second the post by Bull.

Since you have already invested 15k + on your tires, I suggest you return those tires ASAP and buy the new and correct size i.e. 185/65/R13 I am sure that dealer will be more than willing to buy them back at a good price and give you a good deal on the new tires. But you can also take a second opinion elsewhere and compare costs - both for the buy back and for the new tires.

Do not waste any more time as the more you use your current tires the lesser the resale value!!
Old 29th March 2010, 18:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

The correct upsize for the Esteem on 13" rims is 175/70 R13. Obviously your tyre dealer has given you the wrong upsize. The best thing for you to do is to change your tyres to 175/70 R13.
Old 29th March 2010, 18:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

185/70/R13 is about 0.6" taller than the stock in diameter. Ideally speaking this should not be a problem. Do all the four tires foul, or is it just one or two? And where to they foul - on the wheel arch or suspension or elsewhere? And what is the width of the stock rims?

185/65/R13 is a better match, but if the fouling is not because of the wheel dia and because of something else (eg. stock rims being too narrow for 185 profile), then you would still have the problem.
Old 29th March 2010, 19:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

I have the same problem on my Corsa. I didn a wrong tyre upgrade. You should definitely follow the chart which is available in the forum.
Since you have already done the upgrade there are 2 things you can do . You can get the tyre exchange immediately as they are new. Try to exchange them at the same place where you bought them from. Also didnt the tyrestore warn you of the wrong upgrade ? You should maybe ask him as to why you weren't informed ?
The second thing you can do is to cut away a little of the wheel arch.They dont look odd as I have seen an Esteem with the cut wheel arches.
You could maybe contact Nitrous(T-bhp handle) , he has the Esteem with the cut arches. He can probably help you out.
Old 29th March 2010, 19:28   #10
BHPian

baleno tyres on esteem

First these are baleno tyres on the esteem, I ran those tyres with suspension spacers on my esteem.

Sell the tyres immediately - you would get back atleast 75% of the money

Install suspension spacers - I would not advise if you do more of highway driving, but for city it is ok. Be prepared for harsher ride and early failure of suspension components.

team-bhpian turbo_c had the similar profile on this tires, but he took the plastic mudflaps off..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...tml#post236480
Old 29th March 2010, 19:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Your speedometer and odometer will also be under reading...though your ride quality may be slightly better .
Old 30th March 2010, 12:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

If you don't want to exchange your tyres, options are as mentioned below
1. Install Spacers - Increases the height of the car, but will effect your cars handling to some extent
2. Bend / cut some portion of wheel archs.
Old 30th March 2010, 13:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you take it back to that dealer and tell him the problem. Since, he recommended that you go in for it, ask him to exchange it for you. (This is provided you did not in any way suggest it from the very beginning).

The safest here would be to change all the four tires again, and probably sell those tires and try to recover something or exchange it
Old 30th March 2010, 18:57   #14
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for your response, as advised i took my tires back to the dealer and asked him to fit 175/70/r13, the guy was very cooperative, he initially suggested that we can do little bit of hammering on the internal section of the body where the tyre is rubbing that will solve the issue, but i was slightly worried about this kind of solution, hence i insisted on fitting the company recommended size.

Now the tyre looks little leaner as compare to my previous fit of 185, but i am now feeling safe with 175 and no jugaad technique of hammering.

I had to pay an extra 1000/- for the new tyres, but i m ok with that.

He also told me that if you put alloys with little offset with 175 size tyre it will look broader as the rim width of the alloys are pretty wider than the stock drums..... is it true? Pls. enlighten me.

So the moral of the story is... do research before buying anything or atleast ask Team-BHP gurus before going in for it.

Thank you guys once again for your valuable response.
Old 30th March 2010, 19:52   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack View Post
Hi Guys,

So the moral of the story is... do research before buying anything or atleast ask Team-BHP gurus before going in for it.
I would expect the dealer to know the correct upsize & he should not have charged that extra 1k.

As automobile enthusiast we can get expert opinions here & be safe than sorry, but what about a huge percentage of people who are not?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks