Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2010, 12:18   #1

ISI Mark on tyres - A requirement from 17th May 2010 onwards?

I was told that I will not get tyres for my car any more.Do you guys have any info on this? I want 255/35/18.
Old 13th May 2010, 04:22   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrspower View Post
I was told that I will not get tyres for my car any more.Do you guys have any info on this? I want 255/35/18.
Sir,

I am sorry but I did'nt understand the relation between the title and the question you asked.

Can you please elaborate.

Regards,

Vikram
Old 13th May 2010, 07:08   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrspower View Post
according to new regulations, all tyres to be sold in India from May 1st onwards, has to carry the ISI mark.But this is not applicable to tyres manufactured before May 1st. It is quite possbile that the tyres you need are not manufactured in India owing to their relatively small market.Hence there would be a delay since the manufacturer has to incorporate the necessary changes. But it still would be possible to get the tyres.
Old 13th May 2010, 08:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
according to new regulations, all tyres to be sold in India from May 1st onwards, has to carry the ISI mark.But this is not applicable to tyres manufactured before May 1st. It is quite possbile that the tyres you need are not manufactured in India owing to their relatively small market.Hence there would be a delay since the manufacturer has to incorporate the necessary changes. But it still would be possible to get the tyres.
Is this true for imports too?
Old 13th May 2010, 12:17   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

This whole ISI mark thing is yet another harebrained scheme from the geniuses running hte country.

More ways to line their filthy pockets with money.
Old 13th May 2010, 12:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
This whole ISI mark thing is yet another harebrained scheme from the geniuses running hte country.

More ways to line their filthy pockets with money.
I think the new rule is designed to curb imports... and safegaurd local tyre production..
Old 13th May 2010, 13:13   #7
BHPian

this makes a lot of sense about the acute shortage of tyres in the market. i'm pulling my hair out trying to source tyres from about a week!

any idea if stocks would be released anytime soon?
Old 13th May 2010, 17:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

First the Anti-Dumping duty and now this. I think the Michelin XM1+ on my uncle's Xing are ISI mark already. Anyhow I suppose the standards of Yokos, Michelins and other leading brands to be above the ISI standards.
Old 13th May 2010, 18:58   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok. Here is the full story. And yes, I have very strong opinions.

Every tyre SOLD in India, irrespective of WHERE it is manufactured MUST have an ISI mark from May 17th(not 1st).

As usual, all the tyre companies have filed a case in court(dont know if it is SC or something lower). They want the date to be postponed.

Now, BIS (bureau of Indian standards) gets a small amount for EVERY tyre that has the ISI mark. So, this is huge income for the govt which they can then spend on their own security and useless monuments and memorials.

Also, the BIS officials have to be taken on a tour of the factory where the tyre is going to be made. Then on inspecting the factory, they will approve that factory and allow them to use the ISI stamp to emboss on the tyres manufactured in THAT factory alone!

So, for example, Michelin will have to take these babus to China, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines and the US. It's an all expenses paid trip for these people who think of such ridiculous schemes.

Michelin has decided they will not take them to the US plant. So, obviously Michelin will not be able to import tyres made in the US into India. And the tyres that are made in US are BFG SUV tyres and the LTX tyres for SUVs. They want to shift the production of these tyres to Thailand or China. So, dont expect Michelin LTX in 235/70 R16 for at least 3 more months.

And let's be honest. We all know that the tyre companies are going to pay huge bribes to these corrupt officials so that they can the approval and start manufacturing tyres with the ISI mark.

As of now, there are a few sizes in Michelin which already have the ISI mark. 145/80 R12 is an example.

Now, Yokohama, Continental, etc... will also have to do something similar and that is why Continental's shipments are massively delayed. They are holding off importing tyres because even if the courts rule that May 17th is too early and postpone it, tyre companies will eventually HAVE to manufacture tyres with the ISI mark. So, they are holding off imports and have started the process to manufacture tyres with the ISI mark.

Yokohama on the other hand are continuing to import their tyres by the container. Their strategy is different. They are betting heavily on the fact that the May 17th deadlin WILL be postponed. So, they have enough supplies to last them for another 3-4 months. By that time, the BIS officials would have been taken on a full tour and paid off properly and they would have started manufacturing ISI branded tyres. \

If however, the May 17th deadline is upheld, then they lose terribly.

Now, coming to the companies that manufacture in India. Many of them are still making tyres without the ISI mark. They are all betting on the deadline being postponed.

This whole ISI mark thing is completely pointless in my opinion.

BIS is supposed to ensure the quality of a product being sold in India. the ISI mark on a product implies that it has been tested by the BIS and is of a certain quality.

When it comes to tyres made by these companies, there is no doubt. The factories that manufacture tyres coming into India also make tyres headed to europe, singapore, Japan, Australia, US, etc.... This whole ISI fiasco is simply disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ
I think the new rule is designed to curb imports... and safegaurd local tyre production..
Not true. This ISI rule has to be followed even by local manufacturers.

Also, this will not stop illegal, grey market tyres. There are millions of people who dont care about the ISI marking and will continue to buy grey market imports of Chinese tyres simply because they are cheap.

The ISI marking will not stop the Ling Longs and Ding Dongs from entering the market.

This is the reason I'm completely opposed to this ruling.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2010, 19:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

This way we are going to lose out on getting high performance tires! I guess 5% of the market values tires like s drive, AD07 etc. Till now we could have had them as imports, but now, the companies won't manufacture them in India due to low market share and we won't be able to import them either - GREAT!!!
Old 13th May 2010, 19:16   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
This way we are going to lose out on getting high performance tires! I guess 5% of the market values tires like s drive, AD07 etc. Till now we could have had them as imports, but now, the companies won't manufacture them in India due to low market share and we won't be able to import them either - GREAT!!!
Thankfully, this isnt the case.

The factory in Japan that makes Advan Neovas (now, the AD08s) will also get ISI approved. It will make tyres WITH the ISI mark for India. And yes, these tyres include the AD08s.

The AD08s were supposed to be in India by May-June, but due to this fiasco, it will be coming in only by the end of the year.

I think Michelin would also be doing something like this. I hope they do. If they dont, they will lose a HUGE chunk of the performance market.
Old 13th May 2010, 19:55   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

So - do we expect another round of unncessary price increases ?
Old 13th May 2010, 20:04   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I doubt it. They have increased prices by 15% in the past 6 months.
Old 14th May 2010, 15:25   #14
BHPian

I hate this!! i'm virtually dying trying to source tyres for my ride and no luck from Pune, Mumbai & as far as Hyderabad!... don't know where to look next! :(
Old 17th May 2010, 00:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When it comes to tyres made by these companies, there is no doubt. The factories that manufacture tyres coming into India also make tyres headed to europe, singapore, Japan, Australia, US, etc.... This whole ISI fiasco is simply disgusting.
Welcome to the nexus of Indian politicians and industrialists Nikhil, this is the real world. And I'm sure you already know, the real reason for this is not the passenger car market but the truck/bus/uv market which was being effected by the cheaper Chinese imports.

Quote:
Not true. This ISI rule has to be followed even by local manufacturers.
Yes, I've already seen the ISI marking on a JK Tornado fitted on to a brand new Swift.

Quote:
Also, this will not stop illegal, grey market tyres. There are millions of people who dont care about the ISI marking and will continue to buy grey market imports of Chinese tyres simply because they are cheap.

The ISI marking will not stop the Ling Longs and Ding Dongs from entering the market.

This is the reason I'm completely opposed to this ruling.
I would disagree slightly here Nikhil. As far as my understanding of the system goes, the Customs department would not be able to pass any shipment containing tyres from 17th May onwards unless the tyres have the mandatory ISI clearance. And I really doubt the grey marketeers would be able to bring in the non-ISI stuff via the smuggling circle in such a short matter of time especially when the heat is on them right now.

Sure, they might bring them in (or in some cases they might get the necessary ISI certifications based on my conversations with some of the tyre industry insiders) but as of now expect a tight supply-and-demand situation in the industry for the next few months and also expect to see some really arbitrary pricing increases. A friend in one of the leading companies specifically warned me to buy any tyres me or my friends wanted now because even they don't know what the exact future is going to be like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
So - do we expect another round of unncessary price increases ?
Be ready. Your guess is as good as anyone else's right now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks