Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2010, 17:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

How about tire pattern? Would a unidirectional tire tramline more? The S.Drives I run have a line in the middle which, I felt, is why my car tramlines (Edges of this line aligning with whatever there is on the road). Damn thing also aquaplanes like crazy...
Old 30th May 2010, 16:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

I think the two factors that influence it is if you upsize to a much larger tyre, it somehow plays a significant part even if the size is not low-profile. For eg. my old VTEC used to tramline on 195/60 PP1's but didn't on any of the 185-profiles that I ever tried on it. Secondly, aggressive or sports tyres do have a tendency to tramline more, partly due to their stiffer sidewall.

Also, in some cars I think the wheel width in relation to the tyre width also does play a part but then that's just a hunch I have.
Old 13th September 2010, 12:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
How about tire pattern? Would a unidirectional tire tramline more? The S.Drives I run have a line in the middle which, I felt, is why my car tramlines (Edges of this line aligning with whatever there is on the road). Damn thing also aquaplanes like crazy...
I am sure not many know that S.drives are not exactly known for their wet grip. You should try C.Drives instead. See http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2022454

Last edited by Buffetfan : 13th September 2010 at 12:04.
Old 4th October 2010, 15:37   #19
gou
BHPian

I came across this nice small write up on tramlining - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robert....tramlining.pdf.

According to this 4 factors that affect the tramlining are:
1. suspension geometry
2. free play in the steering
3. tyre wall rigidity
4. height of the sidewall (the tyre profile)

The tyres with stiffer side wall or less height of sidewall will tramline more. Reason being that they will be transfer the force to the rims more.

Last edited by gou : 4th October 2010 at 15:39.
Old 4th October 2010, 18:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

I though it is obvious from the fact that trams, which has zero profile wheels (no rubber) stay on-course due to the wheels griping the road/rails better. So naturally the more rubber you have between wheels and road the less it will stick on to the road, eh?
Old 15th November 2021, 13:24   #21
BHPian

Re: Why do cars with low profile tyres tramline more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It just be just me. I noticed this immediately after getting the 16 inch wheels on my Vtec, last night in an RS and earlier in a Swift. The tramlining on each of these cars was experienced on Marine Drive...a road I use daily and thus know very well.

Thus, the question : Why do cars with low profile tyres tramline more? And sometimes, annoyingly so?
Tramlining is not limited to low profiles alone. It happens in every car. Probably, it is due to the way how the suspension and steering system is designed to have that flexibility.

It's just that the effect is more felt with low profile tyres and marginally felt in high ones.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 15th November 2021 at 13:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks