Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2010, 13:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Urgent need help, alloys painted now tubeless tyres wont fit

I recently brought used 15" alloys from a fellow member, one of the alloys came with a 205 50 R 15 tyre, since i was low on budget i only brought 3 tryes, now what i did was i painted the alloy, to do that i asked my painter to remove that one trye and paint it uniformly, now the problem is none of the tyres are going back on the alloy, i tried 3 different shops but no go. all the alloys are damaged(read paint damage) and no one is able to fit it. now i have 4 tyres and a set of alloy lying completely useless. i have tried to give it a last try, i have given it to the place i painted it so that they can take it to the same guy who removed them. Now my question is, is it a common problem that the side walls hraden and the tyres cannot go back? what do fellow members do in such a situation?

Need urgent suggestions.

Pramod
Old 4th June 2010, 15:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
now the problem is none of the tyres are going back on the alloy, i tried 3 different shops but no go. all the alloys are damaged(read paint damage) and no one is able to fit it.
Tires not going back on the alloy ??? What exactly is the problem ? More details pls
Old 4th June 2010, 15:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Tires not going back on the alloy ??? What exactly is the problem ? More details pls

I took it to 3 different guys for fitting, the sidewall is not expanding its like putting a 13" Tyre on a 14" alloy wheel, we even tried hammering it down but no go. I spent good money on the 3 tyres now cant use. Its seriously frustrating .

Pramod
Old 4th June 2010, 16:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Unlikely pramod and that a painted alloy can't cause such a problem unless they have used too much of putty on it. Say atleast by 1/2 an inch or so which wouldnt be the case.

Also what tools are the tire shop guys using for putting back the tires on the alloys ? Are they using the hydraulic machine ?

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 4th June 2010 at 16:06.
Old 4th June 2010, 16:03   #5
BHPian

please post pictures of both the tyres as well as alloys so that we can understand better.
Old 4th June 2010, 16:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Pramod which all tyre shops did you visit? Can you post a photo of tyre and the wheel?
There is no way they alloys are gonna grow up in size if its a simple paint job!
Why don't you try Rohini, they once helped me out with a hard to seat Pirelli tyre seated to perfection.
Old 4th June 2010, 16:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Unlikely pramod and that a painted alloy can't cause such a problem unless they have used too much of putty on it. Say atleast by 1/2 an inch or so which wouldnt be the case.

Also what tools are the tire shop guys using for putting back the tires on the alloys ? Are they using the hydraulic machine ?
There is very little putty, mostly on the edges and spokes, I first took it to a guy who has a hydraulic machine, he said he needs two people to do this and there was only one so he asked me to come today, because of the sidewalls of the tyre the alloy paint got chipped, and he said he cannot do it, i took it to another guy who had a lot of people to work and same issue there, now i took it to a guy who hammers the tired down and he tried it on one of the damaged alloys and again No go. The first guy said 50 profile is the real culprit, but isint the 15" tyre supposed to fit on a 15" alloy, regardless of the profile? The second guy said since one of the tire is old so it causing problem as the sidewalls are stiff due to age, but he could not even fit a new tyre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjNik View Post
please post pictures of both the tyres as well as alloys so that we can understand better.
I have given it back to the painter, i will go there tomorrow and take pics. But i dont know what could be understood by pics. Since the dimentions of the alloy and tyre will look same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Pramod which all tyre shops did you visit? Can you post a photo of tyre and the wheel?
There is no way they alloys are gonna grow up in size if its a simple paint job!
Why don't you try Rohini, they once helped me out with a hard to seat Pirelli tyre seated to perfection.
Shankar, i went to new india tyres, Global tyres(not sure of the name but close to darya resturant kzktm) and a road side guy all three failed. I will let my painter try it one last time else i will take it to Rohini tyres.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 4th June 2010 at 16:21.
Old 4th June 2010, 16:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

You also got the tyre edges painted somehow and hence they got hard sidewalls?
Old 4th June 2010, 20:02   #9
BHPian

Just a suggestion. Ask the painter to completely scrape one alloy, all edges which are in contact with the tyre. Now take the tyre to the shop who has the hydraulic machine and give it a try, if it fits without a fuss you know what the problem actually is. It is highly unlikely that a tyre wont fit because of age,( i doubt the tyres you have are more than 20K kms/ 3yrs old) coz i have seen places like CST road fit old tyres (read at least a year in storage) fit easily so i suspect the alloys to be the culprit here. I know it may sound stupid to have an alloy scrapped and repainted but atleast you'll diagnose the problem that way. Good LucK!
Old 4th June 2010, 20:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is very little putty, mostly on the edges and spokes, I first took it to a guy who has a hydraulic machine, he said he needs two people to do this and there was only one so he asked me to come today,
Pramod
Surprising that in-spite of using the Hydraulic tire changer the tire dint fit. From what I have seen it generates quite a lot of power good enuf to twist the sidewall if needed while fitting it on an alloy.
I have had 1st hand experience of this with the S-drives. Bent an alloy once and it was nearly impossible to get the tire off the alloy to plonk in a tube. Apparently the tire changer machine with some help from me and the guy at the machine , it did the trick.
Old 4th June 2010, 20:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The first guy said 50 profile is the real culprit, but isint the 15" tyre supposed to fit on a 15" alloy, regardless of the profile? The second guy said since one of the tire is old so it causing problem as the sidewalls are stiff due to age, but he could not even fit a new tyre.
Profile is not the culprit, just the guy may not be experienced enough.

Old tyre can cause problem with a stiff side wall. This was the problem with the Pirelli Speed Demon which i mentioned earlier, the edges wouldn't seat properly. But the issue should be non-existant with new tyres.

Quote:
Shankar, i went to new india tyres, Global tyres(not sure of the name but close to darya resturant kzktm) and a road side guy all three failed. I will let my painter try it one last time else i will take it to Rohini tyres.

Pramod
Roadside guys without hydraulic equipment is not the right place. Anyways try Rohini tyres, they may be able to help.
Old 5th June 2010, 02:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

This problem bamboozles me!
What is the rim width?
Can you post pictures?
Old 5th June 2010, 11:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

My painter just called, he took it to two places and it still wont fit. He measured the diameter and its 16" , When i got them it already had a 15" tyre, now i am confused. Any ways i will get them back.

Pramod
Old 5th June 2010, 11:50   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Dude, you cant just measure the front face of the rim and say it is 15" or 16". :

The rim size is measured at the centre. Called drop dead centre. Not at the front which faces outside.

In any case, I think it's a combination of fresh paint + low profile + stiff sidewall + wrong equipment being used + not proper tyre mounting paste.
Old 5th June 2010, 18:46   #15
vdi
BHPian

Oh, God. This is scary. I was actually planning to paint my alloys and after reading this I have different ideas on it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks