Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2010, 16:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

I would rather sacrifice some grip and a cushy ride to have tires that I am not worried about driving anywhere. Give me my MRFs anytime! They do make some noise (even the ones on my Splendor) but I like to listen to them!

Even when I upgrade to tubeless tires, they will still be MRF / Apollo. Well, may be Bridgestones if they are equally tough.
Old 26th July 2010, 02:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

Looks like I should have added "touch-wood", or should have literally done that before I talk about my tires - here is what I noticed on my S.Drives:

Yoko S-Drives - delicate but good performer-25072010022.jpg

The threads are good for another 10k (or 5k atleast) - the car is clocking 23,000 with this set of tires. Was surprise to see this on the back tire, more so because this happened in the past week or two (since I last checked the tires when I wash the car myself) and I didn't hit a pot hole or go off-roading in the mean time! I was planning to downsize back to 14" with the next tire change, but looks like this accelerates things a bit

Last edited by ph03n!x : 26th July 2010 at 03:01.
Old 26th July 2010, 06:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ditions-2.html
something that i faced sometime back.
Old 26th July 2010, 08:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

I was in an impression of Yoko S are the best Tyre.But on seeing the crack here I should change my mind and go for the Michelin for the next change.
Old 26th July 2010, 13:59   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I was planning to downsize back to 14" with the next tire change, but looks like this accelerates things a bit
I have already purchased four 14" steel rims .
Planning to get 185/65-14 tyres after some time. Even i recommend you to do so. So how is the ride quality now?
My maxxis 15" ride quality is acceptable when tyre pressure is 34.

By looking at your tyre, i think you need to change it immediately. Do not drive fast. Tyre may burst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
I was in an impression of Yoko S are the best Tyre.But on seeing the crack here I should change my mind and go for the Michelin for the next change.
There is nothing like best tyre in the world. It depends on your requirement & driving style. If you are looking for pure performance (road grip, handling) then go for michelins. But michelin wont guarantee that there wont be a crack/cut on the tyre. It can happen on any brand including MRF.
If you want tough tyres then go for MRF.

Yoko's are good but significantly cheaper than michelins.

Last edited by djay99 : 26th July 2010 at 14:01.
Old 26th July 2010, 14:15   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like I should have added "touch-wood", or should have literally done that before I talk about my tires - here is what I noticed on my S.Drives:
pho3n!x, are such damanges covered under warranty. When I got the A-Drive, I was given warranty for 3 years. But what I wanted to know is, what are the circumstances under which the tyres are replaced for free under warranty?
Old 26th July 2010, 17:03   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ditions-2.html
something that i faced sometime back.
Quote:
I am not saying Yokos are bad tires - such stuff can happen to any brand! These tires lasted me through thick and thin - 190+ KMPH blasts, crazy cornerings, life-saving brakings, et all. And, @navan49, we have a similar thread for Michelins too. I guess its just your luck - the same tires that lasts when you go over a hut pit of pot hole may give way when you go over a small stone or something.

(No, I don't think I went over a stone or anything, just a figure of speech )
Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
I have already purchased four 14" steel rims .
Planning to get 185/65-14 tyres after some time. Even i recommend you to do so. So how is the ride quality now?
My maxxis 15" ride quality is acceptable when tyre pressure is 34.

By looking at your tyre, i think you need to change it immediately. Do not drive fast. Tyre may burst.
I am also thinking of getting steel rims, and going for 14" alloys later on. Btw, the stock is 175/65 R14 - so the right upsize is 185/60 R14, no?

The ride on the yoko's are pretty hard. I can feel every contour of the road's surface inside the car! But on smooth tarmac, these tires are godly! I treid 32 PSI once - and the ride got worse, so came back down to 30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
pho3n!x, are such damanges covered under warranty. When I got the A-Drive, I was given warranty for 3 years. But what I wanted to know is, what are the circumstances under which the tyres are replaced for free under warranty?
Tire warranty, more or less, is a joke! There are a few threads here, and car bible has a section on tire warranties too
Old 26th July 2010, 18:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The threads are good for another 10k (or 5k atleast) - the car is clocking 23,000 with this set of tires. Was surprise to see this on the back tire, more so because this happened in the past week or two (since I last checked the tires when I wash the car myself) and I didn't hit a pot hole or go off-roading in the mean time! I was planning to downsize back to 14" with the next tire change, but looks like this accelerates things a bit
It clearly shows that there are quality constraints somewhere in the tyres.. These tyres if I remember right are graded for more weight than whats of my Cedia or of your car (whats car is urs..lancer??). Also, the tyres are rated to handle speeds of up to 270 (for most cars its electronically limited to 250). As far as a cedia is concerned, It doesnt go anything over 207-208, if I consider the techo readings (actual is somewhere around 190+).

I too remember having cleaned my car's alloys about 20-25 days back and there was was bulge in the tyre. It came within the time span.

Quote:
As someone else stated, theres no best or worse tyre, but I certainly had a impression that Yoko S were good tyres. But if I know that my car's tyre will bulge or get a cut on the side, both of which may lead to tyre blowing off, I wouldnt have enough confidence to push the ride hard.

My cousin has Kumhos on his lancer, and what not those tyres have seen, good roads, wrecked roads, hills, twists, steeps, jaisalmer highway (tough about 185 +), hard cornering and what not. But there has never been any problem with the tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Yoko's are good but significantly cheaper than michelins.
The difference between one s-drive and pps2 was Rs. 600 (yokos 4800, michelin - 5400). Cant say about Michelins or any other set of tyres I would get for my car but its certainly, Good Bye Yokohama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
the warranty is only for name sake.

Quote:
These tires lasted me through thick and thin - 190+ KMPH blasts, crazy cornerings, life-saving brakings, et all.

I have done it on cars including 800 (MRF 145s), Alto (Apollos 145s) Swift (Michelins 185s), Swift Vdi (MRF 165s), Lancer (Kumho 195s), Cousins Cedia (Good years 205s), My Cedia (earlier on Bridgestone 195s and now on Yokohama 205s) and Civic (Good Year 195s).

However, none of the tyres on these cars ever had a tyre problem.. may be because none of them had Yokohamas or may be becuase its my bad luck .

In between, get your tyre changed, it can be dangerous to drive on the same.

(No, I don't think I went over a stone or anything, just a figure of speech)

Dont know if people will take it or not but I do!

I am also thinking of getting steel rims, and going for 14" alloys later on. Btw, the stock is 175/65 R14 - so the right upsize is 185/60 R14, no?

if its lancer, even 195s should be good.

Well, my tyre size is 195/60/R15, 205/55/R15 is what I upgraded to.

The ride on the yoko's are pretty hard. I can feel every contour of the road's surface inside the car! But on smooth tarmac, these tires are godly! I treid 32 PSI once - and the ride got worse, so came back down to 30.

ya. the ride is hard, when I got the tyres, the tyre guy left the pressure to 34+ and I has a very bumpy ride, ofcourse, the first thing I did was to get the tyre pressure back to 32. My daily ride till last month was a mix of city roads (very clean) and expressway so I used to have pressure of 32. I am back to 30 now.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 26th July 2010 at 18:58.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2010, 23:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

@gaurav, my ride is a even lighter Getz CRDi - just a bit above the ton mark in unladen weight. I guess I will stick with 185's in 14", toning down on the handling part and getting more of the comfort.
Old 27th July 2010, 09:07   #40
Senior - BHPian

The performance tyres are turning into a joke these days, my MRF lasted 130k, yes you read it right, during my last change i got 2 michlins XMF Sports, from a guy who imports these performance tyres, well i paid 4k each and i wish they lasted atleast 4k kms, one of my tyre blasted and other one shapped out, yes the place i drive my car has a lot of potholes(thanks to kerala roads) but 4k kms per tyre is definitely a joke, i got 2 kumho performance tyres and things are fine since last 1k kms(touchwood). Its time that yokos and Michelin learn more about the Indian customer and the Indian road conditions and give us something which can last atleast 30k kms.

Pramod
Old 27th July 2010, 09:15   #41
BHPian

This is really scary pramod. It is good that we discuss engines, dynamics, brakes etc.,! but if the very rubber we ride on doesnt last long or is faulty! we are putting eveything at risk. Immagine having a tyre blast/rupture/tear at 100+ kmph!
Old 27th July 2010, 10:04   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
The performance tyres are turning into a joke these days, my MRF lasted 130k, yes you read it right,
Wow! That's an amazing number. How many years did you do the 130Kms in?
Old 27th July 2010, 10:21   #43
Senior - BHPian

This is making me nervous guys!
I have Yoko ES100s - what about them? any not so good reports?
I look after my tires and alloys a lot and try to avoid potholes (even by losing right of way) or drive through them at <10kmph. Anything extra I need to do?
It would be real sad to give up my ES100s in future as they provide great road grip and handling.
Old 27th July 2010, 11:04   #44
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper English in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 28th July 2010 at 14:17.
Butters is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th July 2010, 12:14   #45
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 393800

hey hey, to be very frank, that looks like you have hit a bump or pothole very hard, thus resulting in what u call a 'pinching' effect on the side wall. look, i am a Michelin guy, and do not have any bias or am not trying to advocate the quality levels of Yokohama

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks