Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2010, 08:55   #1
BHPian

Tyre upgrade 2010 WagonR VXi

Folks,

I just picked up the 2010 WagonR VXi yesterday. I find the tyres puny for the car and am considering replacing them. The VXi comes with the below standard configuration.

Wheel: 14x4.5J
Tyre: 155x65R14

I'd like to upgrade the tyres but keep the stock steel wheels. Considering that the wheels are 4.5J I believe I can use upto 165 width tyres in the car. 165/60R14 would have been the ideal size to keep the circumference as close to stock, but I noticed that none of the manufacturers sell 165/60 tyres in India.

What are my options ?
Old 25th August 2010, 22:37   #2

AutoEnthusiast

Did you do any upgradation of the tyres? If so, how is ride in ur Wagon R?

Sigamani
Old 27th August 2010, 22:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
Folks,

I just picked up the 2010 WagonR VXi yesterday. I find the tyres puny for the car and am considering replacing them. The VXi comes with the below standard configuration.

Wheel: 14x4.5J
Tyre: 155x65R14

I'd like to upgrade the tyres but keep the stock steel wheels. Considering that the wheels are 4.5J I believe I can use upto 165 width tyres in the car. 165/60R14 would have been the ideal size to keep the circumference as close to stock, but I noticed that none of the manufacturers sell 165/60 tyres in India.

What are my options ?
Afraid you're stuck with not too many options. Yours is an extremely odd size, and your only probable option is 165/65 R14. But that will slightly increase your overall circumference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigamani View Post
AutoEnthusiast

Did you do any upgradation of the tyres? If so, how is ride in ur Wagon R?

Sigamani
Nope, his is the stock size on the new Wagon R.
Old 28th August 2010, 22:50   #4
BHPian

Hi Folks, Nope didn't upgrade the tyres, none of the dealers were willing to give me an exchange offer on my 155x65R14 stock tyres cos of the odd size. I felt it was not worth throwing them away or giving them off free, so decided to use them for around 20K and then upgrade. Eitherways this car is used only for city use, so won't make much of a difference. For long distance driving, we use the Ford.
Old 30th August 2010, 07:52   #6
BHPian

Thanks jkdas, but these are for the old WR, the new 2010 WR VXi model comes with 14 inch wheels and not 13 inch like the earlier models. The LXi comes with the standard 13 inch wheels.
Old 30th August 2010, 08:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

@AutoEnthu, I couldn't find similar threads, but here're some tools to help you.
Tire Size Calculator
Tire size calculator - You need Java to be enabled
TRC Calculator
Old 20th September 2013, 19:54   #8

Upsize for Wagon R 2010 Vxi Model

Mod team note: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks.

I have a piquant situation. I own a Wagon R 2010 Vxi Model. The OE tyres are on their last journey. The tyre specs are 155/65R14. I am a die hard Wagon R fan and so my previous car (2005 LxI model) was also a Wagon R. Before I sold the car, following advise from Team BHPians, I had changed the tyres and upsized them to a Michelin variant. Incidentally, my previous car had an R13 rim as opposed to a R14 rim for my present car.

Given my very pleasant experience with the upsized Michelin tyres, I was quite keen on replacing my R14 rim tyres with a Michelin. Unfortunately, (unless I am mistaken), there is no suitable Michelin variant for the R14 Wagon R rim. Do you believe I have options in Michelin or do I need to look at other brands? I would be more than glad if anyone can suggest a upsize or an alternate in Michelin. If I have to decide on other brands, can you recommend a brand and upsize.

I have looked through various posts for information, but most of them relate to advise on moving to a Michelin variant for the R13 rim, which does not help me. Some BHPians have been kind enough to forward to me some posts that speak of Continental tyres, but I am not sure if they are good. They don't deal with upsize either. I would really appreciate your assistance on this. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th September 2013 at 21:30.
Old 23rd September 2013, 15:48   #9

Re: Tyre upgrade 2010 WagonR VXi

I visited a tyre showroom and a salesman suggested a bridgestone variant with 175/65 R14. I am skeptical of changing to a 175 width. I am guessing it may not work for the Wagon R. I seemed to have read some posts that it tends to brush against the interior walls and is not a right size for a Wagon R. From a bit of research, it appears Bridgestone has a 165/65 R14 79T variant for the Wagon R Vxi. How good is this? Would this do for an upsize? Most of my driving is on the city roads (approximately averaging 50 kms everyday) with weekend holiday destinations once every six months.
Sojourner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 12:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I visited a tyre showroom and a salesman suggested a bridgestone variant with 175/65 R14. I am skeptical of changing to a 175 width. I am guessing it may not work for the Wagon R. I seemed to have read some posts that it tends to brush against the interior walls and is not a right size for a Wagon R. From a bit of research, it appears Bridgestone has a 165/65 R14 79T variant for the Wagon R Vxi. How good is this? Would this do for an upsize? Most of my driving is on the city roads (approximately averaging 50 kms everyday) with weekend holiday destinations once every six months.
Any updates or feedback on this query. I also have the same query.
Old 16th December 2013, 14:10   #11

After my research, I had settled for an upsize of 165/65 R14. Given my previous experience, I would have preferred a Michelin, but as they did not have the variant, the other option was Bridgestone. I was not comfortable with the tyre after I read some experiences of users. I finally settled for Goodyear. I have been using the tyre in the last couple of months, but find no exceptional performance. The sound has reduced (compared to the previous JK stock tyres), but it comes no where close to the Michelin experience.
Old 20th November 2014, 14:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
After my research, I had settled for an upsize of 165/65 R14. Given my previous experience, I would have preferred a Michelin, but as they did not have the variant, the other option was Bridgestone. I was not comfortable with the tyre after I read some experiences of users. I finally settled for Goodyear. I have been using the tyre in the last couple of months, but find no exceptional performance. The sound has reduced (compared to the previous JK stock tyres), but it comes no where close to the Michelin experience.
For a 155/65/R14 the right upsize would be 175/60/R14. This will reduce the speedometer/odometer errors.
With 165/65/R14 ,the speedometer error is 2.3% ,whereas with 175/60/R14 its 1.5%.You didn't change it to 175, as the sidewall may touch the wheel well?
How is the handling of your car with the current setup ?
Old 20th December 2014, 23:23   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
For a 155/65/R14 the right upsize would be 175/60/R14........... sidewall may touch the wheel well?
Thanks, that's a good info. Well, seems like I am slightly confused here. I drive a 2011 Wagon R Vxi. I had replaced my stock set once when the vehicle had clocked 12000 km due to some wobbling effect observed. I had then upgraded to GoodYear Duraplus 165/65 R14, which had lasted till date. Currently, the vehicle had clocked appx 49K kms on the odo and its time for replacement again. Though the tyres had worn out evenly(served for 37K kms), can feel the wobbling effect once again when the vehicle is loaded with weight. All possible wheel balancing alignment and rotation done timely basis.

Now, I'm confused after reading your post, whether to go with same 165/65 R14 or to upgrade to 175/60/R14. Heard that some adjustment can be made if upgrading to 175 sections by adding some spacers etc. but not sure of what the process would be and how it would affect the handling of car which already suffers poorly in the handling dept.? Can you enlighten a little more on this size please?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks