Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2010, 22:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bit disappointed.. just bought Yoko ES100 from Cal dealer

my michelin Pilot Precedas R14 185/60 on my fiesta (bought a Sept 08 car in Dec 09) needed a change and i was looking for a more durable tyre.

was pretty much set on the michelin XM1+ (after considering the apollo acelre sportz)
but the owner of indo radial club, calcutta recommended yokos very strongly..
he mentioned team-bhpians buy from him and seemed pretty knowledgeable
he then mentioned that apollo have stopped making the sportz due to its noise etc issues.
so i agreed to the Yokos

but i came back and going through threads on team-bhp and was a bit shocked to read that the ES100 are also performance tyres (like the PP2)
i had clearly mentioned i wanted a tyre thats a bit more long lasting (current set was only 27k kms old and the insides were worn out due to lack of balancing and non alignment by prev owner)

i know they'r good tires, they felt lighter on lower speeds and were less noisy.
but still the disappointment as they were not exactly what i was looking for.

which brings me to the question..
what is the difference between a 'normal' and a performance tyre?
the dealer said these would last about 40k kms much like normal tires
Old 1st August 2010, 23:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
...what is the difference between a 'normal' and a performance tyre?..
- Compound (most important) : Softer on a performance tire for more grip - conversely, probably wont last as long as a harder compound.

- Tread pattern : More towards water dissipation and max contact patch - less concern about noise. I'm not sure how much of a factor rolling resistance is?

- Sidewall stiffness

- Weight of tire : Once again, not sure how much the entry level "performance" tyres optimize this.

Does a thread or discussion on this exist somewhere? I can't remember seeing one recently but i'm sure it must -- anyone?

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st August 2010 at 23:09.
Old 2nd August 2010, 02:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Are these made in Japan or elsewhere? Maybe you could still go back to the dealer and get the XM1+
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the info rehaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Are these made in Japan or elsewhere? Maybe you could still go back to the dealer and get the XM1+
They'r made in Japan.
have been thinkijng about exactly that.. whether to see the dealer n change to the XM1+, i like the way they handle though

have to admit, like most men got suckered into Yoko looks!
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would advise you to stick with them. I have observed that across brands tires manufactured in Japan are usually better than those made elsewhere, even if they are claimed to be better.
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:06   #6
BHPian

The ES100's are excellent tyres. Have them on my lancer and am pretty happy wth these. These tyres are known to last a min of 30k kms as told by my tyre guy. So enjoy the ride.
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
my michelin Pilot Precedas R14 185/60 on my fiesta (bought a Sept 08 car in Dec 09) needed a change and i was looking for a more durable tyre.

was pretty much set on the michelin XM1+ (after considering the apollo acelre sportz)
but the owner of indo radial club, calcutta recommended yokos very strongly..
he mentioned team-bhpians buy from him and seemed pretty knowledgeable
he then mentioned that apollo have stopped making the sportz due to its noise etc issues.
so i agreed to the Yokos

but i came back and going through threads on team-bhp and was a bit shocked to read that the ES100 are also performance tyres (like the PP2)
i had clearly mentioned i wanted a tyre thats a bit more long lasting (current set was only 27k kms old and the insides were worn out due to lack of balancing and non alignment by prev owner)

i know they'r good tires, they felt lighter on lower speeds and were less noisy.
but still the disappointment as they were not exactly what i was looking for.

which brings me to the question..
what is the difference between a 'normal' and a performance tyre?
the dealer said these would last about 40k kms much like normal tires

My father also uses AVS ES 100 from the same dealer. Thing is, if you want durable tyres these are not for you. You should have either gone for XM1+ or yoko C-drive/ A drive. ES 100 will not survive more than 25000 km. My father's car has 10000 km on these tyres and both of us can already feel the grip going slightly. Also these tyres have stiffer side wall thus it will make the ride a little harsh. I suggest you go back and tell them that this is not what you wanted and that they should change immediately!

Edit: on reading my post it might seem that we are unsatisfied with the tyres, but that isn't the case. We were in the markte for performance tyres and are extremely happy with the tyres. But I suggest for your use, you should definitely settle for any of the tyres that I have mentioned!

Last edited by scuderiamania : 2nd August 2010 at 18:28.
Old 3rd August 2010, 11:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Went to the dealers last evening, what he mentioned was that this one is not a true performance tyre, for they are priced at around 5k upwards (the Michelin PP2 does price around that). He said the S drive were the true performance tires and that are much more expensive. Bought the ES100 for 3.8k each

Also, my old PP2 set lasted only 27k kms due to poor balancing & alignment, if maintained properly they would have gone on till around 37k kms, which i'm fine with.

So i think i'l keep them ..thanks for the info guys

Last edited by Hatari : 3rd August 2010 at 11:58.
Old 3rd August 2010, 14:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Went to the dealers last evening, what he mentioned was that this one is not a true performance tyre, for they are priced at around 5k upwards (the Michelin PP2 does price around that). He said the S drive were the true performance tires and that are much more expensive. Bought the ES100 for 3.8k each

Also, my old PP2 set lasted only 27k kms due to poor balancing & alignment, if maintained properly they would have gone on till around 37k kms, which i'm fine with.

So i think i'l keep them ..thanks for the info guys
@Hatari,

any tyre set needs to be rotated as per the owner's manual of the car. It leads to longer tyre life and maintains tread wear and grip across all of them.

Also, you've got the nick of one of my fav restuarants.

Last edited by NOS Power : 3rd August 2010 at 14:22.
Old 3rd August 2010, 16:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

NOS...
i hadnt covered 5k kms to warrant a tyre rotation (bought the car at 22k kms old)
Otherwise it is normal practice for me

I gather you refer to the one on rashbehari, havent been there yet actually
My nick is from an old Red Indian name!
Old 3rd August 2010, 20:20   #11
BHPian

I had bridgestone B250s on my Verna, & then I upgraded to ES 100. Definitely the braking & the handling gets marginally better, however at the cost of the ride & comfort. I love the looks
Old 4th August 2010, 11:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yeah avigster.. They look awesome on the fiesta!
Men have been suckers for looks

though they are more comfortable than the PP2
Old 5th August 2010, 10:43   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Expect a life of about 30,000 kms on the Fiesta, albeit deteriorating grip after 25K (my experience). I used the ES100's on the Vtec and was, overall, very happy with them.

P.S. : Remember to research on Team-BHP before you buy
Old 5th August 2010, 15:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

P.S. : Remember to research on Team-BHP before you buy
I did actually.. and put it between Acelere sportz & XM1+
But the Yoko design just took my breath away and out went the research/logic!

Guess it returned only once i was home and away from their 'enigma'!
Old 1st October 2012, 15:36   #15
BHPian

Re: Bit disappointed.. just bought Yoko ES100 from Cal dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Expect a life of about 30,000 kms on the Fiesta, albeit deteriorating grip after 25K (my experience). I used the ES100's on the Vtec and was, overall, very happy with them.
What did you use on your VTEC after the ES100s?

I have 195/60 R14 Yokos on my 2005 iDSi Honda City - being the miser I've used 'em for 40,000 km. I do admit the last 10000 of these they've given sub-par grip. Overall very happy with them, and agree with most of the feedback here - terrific looks and grip (both wet and dry), extremely thick sidewall (meaning you can pretty much "run-flat" for a while without losing balance or damaging the tyre) high road noise and the tread/rubber attracts stones. Only point I can add is... they do last 40,000 km when stretched :-)

However, I am now looking to replace them - The City badly lacks grip on the stock 185/65 goodyears etc. so I am still looking for a ES100ish tyre, but if possible something with lower noise... Also the ES100's are quoting at a very high Rs 5k+ on changemytyre... which sounds insane to me for such an old model. Alternatives, anyone?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks