Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Maximum Balance Weights for Alloy Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidousha View Post
Alloy wheels are die cast while the steel rims are rolled and pressed.
Regardless of any amount of precision in the manufacturing process, a circular rim would always end up with some unbalance. However with modern manufacturing process, the unbalance is reduced to the minimum.
Now added to this is the tire and its manufacturing process and the resultant unbalance.
With the tire and the rim (alloy/steel), the whole wheel including the tube, mouth etc., will constitute the overall unbalance for each wheel.
Any unbalance in the wheels will be significant during high speed (excess of 60 kmph or more towards 90 to 100 kmph).
If you have seen any new vehicles in the show room without balance weights, it does not mean that the wheel is perfectly balanced.
Usually the dealers try to avoid this work as it involves labor and material and consequently cost.
Only when a knowledgeable customer points out this, they reluctantly do this and that too only for the front 2 wheels.
If you have read enough articles from T-BHP, then you will be a smart customer and will not only look for the unbalance wheel but go through every small item listed in the PDI.
Hope you will do this while buying the ANHC
Thanks for taking time out to respond. Much appreciated. My fears are now put to rest. I shall make my father read this post as well. I'll ensure that I go through the PDI checklist in details before taking delivery of my ANHC. Thanks again.
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:55   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Why is it that one does not see the yellow mark then on brand new tyres?
I notice it quite frequently.

Perhaps the manufacturer of the tyres hasn't marked them for some reason (lack of equipment / easy way out)?

Perhaps the yellow dot is on the other sidewall, not the one facing the outside? (I'm not sure if the dot is placed on both sidewalls or just one)?

cya
R
Old 29th August 2011, 20:01   #18
Team-BHP Support

FYI : Here's another really interesting post regarding run-out stripes:

New Tyres and their Markings.... - Wheels-InMotion

cya
R
Old 22nd May 2013, 07:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

I didn't know about the coloured circle on the tyre at all.

Just checked the new Acelere that I got on the A-star yesterday. The red dot is diametrically opposite the valve stem on each wheel. So, I guess the shop did take note of this while mounting the tyres. More marks for DBS (Cochin).
Old 2nd October 2013, 22:56   #20
BHPian

I visited Ooty last weekend and drove through some terrible roads in TN. My steering felt weird by the time I reached Bangalore. Took it to a tyre shop and they fixed 120gms and 80gms weight on the tyres. I have completed 35k on the terrible JK Vectra, would need your opinion if I should change the tyres now? One of the tyre had also lost shape so changed it with the spare.
Old 3rd October 2013, 00:18   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basoli View Post
One of the tyre had also lost shape so changed it with the spare.
Lost shape, how? Is the sidewall bulging, is it no longer circular, or has it worn unevenly?

Also, is it just the tire, or also the wheel? Is it a steel rim or alloy?
Old 3rd October 2013, 11:22   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Lost shape, how? Is the sidewall bulging, is it no longer circular, or has it worn unevenly?

Also, is it just the tire, or also the wheel? Is it a steel rim or alloy?
All tyres have sufficient treads. The one that was swapped with the spare had a slight bulge in the sidewall and a small portion had flattened (not the tread, but the tyre itself). This made the steering jittery at low speed. The car runs on alloys which came with the car (SX4 ZXi).

The guy at the tyre shop advised me to run it for some more time and replace them. I'm worried if its safe to drive with 120gms and 80gms weights on the tyres and don't mind changing them immediately.
Old 3rd October 2013, 13:48   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The one that was swapped with the spare had a slight bulge in the sidewall and a small portion had flattened (not the tread, but the tyre itself). This made the steering jittery at low speed.
OK, sidewall damage and deformation are both worrying, especially when you can feel the deformation through the steering.

If you're using this as a road tire, then swap it, its just not worth the risk. If you're using it as a spare, ensure you're running the car only in the city, where you don't sustain high speeds that cause thermal stress. If you use it as a spare but go out on the highway, look to replace it.

Given you've done 35k, and you're not too impressed with the JK Vectra tires, why not use this opportunity to go in for 4 (or at least 2) new tires?

My personal opinion is this - I always err on the side of caution when it comes to tires, and prefer outright replacement for peace of mind.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 14:07   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
OK, sidewall damage and deformation are both worrying, especially when you can feel the deformation through the steering.

If you're using this as a road tire, then swap it, its just not worth the risk. If you're using it as a spare, ensure you're running the car only in the city, where you don't sustain high speeds that cause thermal stress. If you use it as a spare but go out on the highway, look to replace it.

Given you've done 35k, and you're not too impressed with the JK Vectra tires, why not use this opportunity to go in for 4 (or at least 2) new tires?

My personal opinion is this - I always err on the side of caution when it comes to tires, and prefer outright replacement for peace of mind.
Thanks a ton Arun for the advice. My driving is 25% on the highway. With the out of shape spare + big weights on the front tyres, it would be risky to drive now, I totally agree with you. Will get them changed ASAP.
Old 3rd October 2013, 14:15   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
35k on the terrible JK Vectra
Quote:
I'm worried if its safe to drive with 120gms and 80gms weights on the tyres and don't mind changing them immediately.
I think the fact that they are JK Vectras with 35k on them is more of an issue than any weights (which aren't really an issue at all).

Do replace them with some better rubber.

Maybe get a slightly better trade-in price because they still have some life in them (as said by the tyre dealer himself).

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd October 2013 at 14:33.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 14:21   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

See, just a tyre+wheel assembly consuming more weights doesnt make it a bad thing. It just means there is a lot of uneven wear on the tyres.

If you are uncomfortable with the tyres, it's better to replace them immediately.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 22:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I think the fact that they are JK Vectras with 35k on them is more of an issue than any weights (which aren't really an issue at all).
Yes, they are the worst OEM tyres. I find them them extremely noisy while driving on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
See, just a tyre+wheel assembly consuming more weights doesnt make it a bad thing. It just means there is a lot of uneven wear on the tyres.
Thanks, makes me feel better about the weights. But I'd still change the tyres as I drive on the highways regularly. With an unusable spare now it would be risky to do so.

Thank you everybody for the help.
basoli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks