Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:23   #1
BHPian

Tubeless Tyre Sidewall Bulge on minor impact: Replacement Suggestions

Recently a meandering auto-rickshaw forced my Tucson into a raised pavement at around 15-20 kmph and unfortunately one of my front tyres (Bridgestone) has developed a sidewall bulge. There is no rim damage/air leak but I guess the tyre is definitely wasted.

I'm in need of some suggestions regarding the replacement.
  • Keeping in mind that Tucson is a 4WD with TCS, is it alright to replace just the damaged tyre or should it be changed in pairs? The tyres are approximately 1 year old and has run ~12,000 kms and the remaining tyres are good for another 20,000K minimum.
  • Will replacing just one tyre affect the 4WD or TCS system due to increase in tyre circumference on the new tyre compared to old tyres?
  • If I need to change more than 1 Tyre, I'm thinking of upgrading to 235/60/R16 (215/65/R16-Stock) on all 4's. Any idea about the approximate cost of 235/60/R16 from Yokohama?
  • Are Yokohama Geolandars better than Bridgestone Duellers in terms of ride comfort and endurance?
Old 4th November 2010, 10:42   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Since your existing tyres are 12,000 kms old, it's okay to replace only the damaged tyre. I'd put it on either of the rear wheels. Is your spare in good shape? If so, replace the damaged tyre with the spare tyre, and get a new spare instead.
Old 4th November 2010, 11:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

@GTO: your post is not very clear, but may be on the same track. A

s per the video (link posted on another thread) the simple fact is the the new(est) tyres should be on the front wheels. The Michelin video is very persuasive. The main issue is avoiding oversteer.
Old 4th November 2010, 11:41   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
As per the video (link posted on another thread) the simple fact is the the new(est) tyres should be on the front wheels. The Michelin video is very persuasive. The main issue is avoiding oversteer.
Front wheels lose traction = Understeer

Rear wheels lose traction = Oversteer

You mean, the Michelin video was persuasive about the newer tyres on the rear? In this thread, we spoke of how understeer is easier to control than oversteer (for most drivers).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2010, 11:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Since your existing tyres are 12,000 kms old, it's okay to replace only the damaged tyre. I'd put it on either of the rear wheels. Is your spare in good shape? If so, replace the damaged tyre with the spare tyre, and get a new spare instead.
Unfortunately the spare is not in a good shape and is better used as a substitute in emergencies. When I replaced the last set of tyres, I kept the best among the old tyres as spare and purchased 4 new tyres. But later around 4K mark post-replacement, due to some alignment issues, the fronts were getting eaten up more and was swapped with the rear tyres. The front wear-out was contained post the re-alignment. I'm sorry I forgot to mention that in the first post.

For better understanding, here is what the current situation is.

FL - Good (should run a minimum of 20K more)
FR - Same tread condition as FL but wasted due to sidewall damage
RL - Good (should run a minimum of 15K more)
RR - Good (should run a minimum of 15K more)
SPARE - Strictly for reaching to service point in case of any Tyre damage

Do you think it is better to change both the front tyres and push the existing FL as a more reliable spare? But I'm afraid this may create similar dilemma when the rears are due for replacement later.

I'm trying to see which is the best combo for now so that at least when I replace the tyres next time around I should justify myself to have brand new shoes on all 4's or 5's and follow normal X-tyre rotation which isn't possible now (irrespective of the accident).

PS: Since Tucson's are not discussed much due to less numbers, I thought I'll mention that it is primarily front wheel driven with upto 50% traction fed to rears automatically on need basis or on selecting 4WD manually.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 4th November 2010 at 12:08.
Old 4th November 2010, 14:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

@GTO: Sorry. I should have stayed with the rear. Father time is catching up with me....

From Michelin Site:

Where do I install new tires if I only buy two?

If you're replacing only two tires, be sure to have them installed on your vehicle's rear axle. New tires will provide better grip than your half-worn tires and when they are installed on the rear that helps reduce the potential for your vehicle to fishtail or hydroplane in wet conditions.
Watch a short video to learn more.

Tire savings tips - Michelin®

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks