Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2010, 00:47   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumar69 View Post
Let me add a few more usage information of my car.

Mine is LDI model, meaning Diesel. It is usually driven by 2 people, or max 3 sometimes.

I constantly keep my tire pressures checked, and as per the car sticker on the driver side, front is at 36 psi and rear is at 33 psi. I guess this is more than the regualar petrol varient Swifts.

Hmm, now that I think of it, can this tire pressure be also the culprit, but this is exactly as recommended by my car.

Balancing and Alignment, again I was initially trusting it on MASS, but since last 4-5 months, now I have started getting it done myself on a dedicated tyre shop.

Also, I drive my car myself, and do not drive very fast, but at around 60-80 speed. I never corner at high speeds.
You seem to be doing it right.The rated psi on the door is for stock tyres (tubeless?). Also note that the road conditions have a bearing on the psi/comfort factor. I have been told that for tubeless the psi should be lower than tubed ones.

On my merc, which has low rolling resistance tubeless run flats, they have put several ratings on the door based on the load (driver, driver+1, driver+3, driver+3+loaded boot). Obviously this is not very practical to follow. The workshop recommend 32 psi all round where as the door goes upto 38 psi. I find it comfortable at 34psi. I guess you need to play a little around the recommended psi to find your comfort point. The manual mentions that 4 psi play around the recommended mark will not affect the handling of the car in any way and all the electronics will adapt and work perfectly. You can check with your expert what band you can play with for the swift diesel without getiing into over/under inflation issues. I would suggest that you stay at the lower end of the band. Also note that if you drive for about 45 minutes, the increase in tyre temperature will cause a gain of 1 to 2 psi. (from my experience in my previous car - an accord where I had a TPM system installed).

Note that if you change your tyres from stock the door ratings may not hold good. You will have to follow the manufacturer's ratings.

Also you mention that you are getting balancing & alignment done every 4/5 months. This is way too frequent if necessary. The uneven wear may cause the necesscity to balance but the alignment going off may be a issue with the car.
Old 17th November 2010, 08:14   #17
BHPian

Unevenly worn tires. What next?

I have a Swift LDI, at 20,000 KM and about 2 years with stock tyres. Somehow the rear two tyres have taken in much more beating than the front ones which are much better.

I had discussed this in detail at:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...what-next.html

The question now is that as shown below, my spare is almost like new, BUT has a repaired puncture. So, would it be OK(safe) to replace my rear left tyre with this spare tyre because though the spare has had a puncture, but the threads are MUCH better than the rear left at the moment.

Perhaps once done, I will do 4 tyre rotation in future at regular intervals.

I drive at about 40 to 65 speed in city with no sharp cornering etc. 90% driving is with 2 people only.
Attached Thumbnails
Unevenly worn tires. What next?-spare_1.jpg  

Unevenly worn tires. What next?-spare_closeup.jpg  

Unevenly worn tires. What next?-rear_left.jpg  

Old 17th November 2010, 09:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

It is absolutely safe for your kind of driving. Not rotating tyres at least every 10K km is the culprit here.

The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to buy 2 new tyres for the time being and discard the worn out two in the rear. Later on you can buy two more by the time the tyres at the front gives its full safe life The present stepney can stay put.

Try it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks