Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 12:38   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Correct Tyre Pressures

Exactly my question.

I have changed the Bridgestone 175/70 R 13 tube type tyres to the same spec Michelin Certis Tubeless tyres.

What should be the correct tyre pressure for the changed tyres?

I currently fill 32 Psi for all 04 tyres.

The car in question is Ford Ikon Flair(1.3 ROCAM).
Old 1st November 2011, 14:22   #47
BANNED

In general unless there is a major change in the tyre size the recommended pressure remains the same.

However, remember it is RECOMMENDED and depending on your driving conditions a change of 4psi for optimal/preferred setting is not unusual. In the old days it was advised to +2psi for highway, and likewise (rear only) for a heavy load in the rear. All these are for radials.
Old 9th January 2013, 17:56   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Tyre Air Pressure for My Maruti Zen

Moderator note: Please use Search to find a relevant thread, instead of opening a new thread everytime. Thanks.

Hello Gurus,

I replaced the 12" rims of my Zen Lx, 2002, MPFI with Neo Alloy Wheels. A while later, I also replaced the stock JK tyres which had become noisy & hard with Michelin XM1+ tubeless rubbers. The size was kept at stock: 145/80- R12. The car is in immaculate condition & runs flawlessly.

But I have a confusion regarding the air pressure to be maintained because the placard near the door says to maintain it @ 24 psi, which felt too less for me. The tyres look & feel terribly under inflated. A leaflet that I got from Michelin dealer asks to maintain a pressure of 33 psi in a car similar to Zen, Santro to be precise. (as Zen being an old model, it fails to find a place in new catalogues!)
33 psi feels over-inflated a lot. I am sticking with 30 psi but will like the gurus to come in and suggest me what is best for the good old Zen.

Thanks in anticipation of response.

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th January 2013 at 18:43. Reason: Please use Search to find a relevant thread, instead of opening a new thread everytime. Thanks.
Old 7th March 2013, 16:25   #49
BHPian

Re: Tyre Air Pressure for My Maruti Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Moderator note: Please use Search to find a relevant thread, instead of opening a new thread everytime. Thanks.

Hello Gurus,

I replaced the 12" rims of my Zen Lx, 2002, MPFI with Neo Alloy Wheels. A while later, I also replaced the stock JK tyres which had become noisy & hard with Michelin XM1+ tubeless rubbers. The size was kept at stock: 145/80- R12. The car is in immaculate condition & runs flawlessly.

But I have a confusion regarding the air pressure to be maintained because the placard near the door says to maintain it @ 24 psi, which felt too less for me. The tyres look & feel terribly under inflated. A leaflet that I got from Michelin dealer asks to maintain a pressure of 33 psi in a car similar to Zen, Santro to be precise. (as Zen being an old model, it fails to find a place in new catalogues!)
33 psi feels over-inflated a lot. I am sticking with 30 psi but will like the gurus to come in and suggest me what is best for the good old Zen.

Thanks in anticipation of response.
I had recently replaced my stock JK Tornado tube tyres in my WagonR to Michelin XM2 tubeless. As mentioned in the placard near the driver's door, I stick to 32 psi and even the guy at the tyre store suggested me to maintain the recommended tyre pressure unless there is an upsize.
Old 7th March 2013, 16:32   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tyre Air Pressure for My Maruti Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
I had recently replaced my stock JK Tornado tube tyres in my WagonR to Michelin XM2 tubeless. As mentioned in the placard near the driver's door, I stick to 32 psi and even the guy at the tyre store suggested me to maintain the recommended tyre pressure unless there is an upsize.
32 psi is a realistic pressure anyway...don't know what MS guys were thinking when they mandated 24 psi for a Zen? It feels really too less and vehicle feels so sluggish.
Old 21st August 2013, 12:17   #51
BHPian

A couple of days back I went to fill nitrogen and seen a tyre pressure indicator @ Rs.450/- ( a set of 4 Nos.) marketed by Bridgestone.

With proper pressure it will be green then loss of 2-4 psi it will be yellow and loss of 6-10 psi it will become red. Anybody has any experience about this things. In e-bay I have seen this things. How much this is effective?
Regards.

Last edited by tasuray : 21st August 2013 at 12:18.
Old 21st August 2013, 13:02   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasuray View Post
A couple of days back I went to fill nitrogen and seen a tyre pressure indicator @ Rs.450/- ( a set of 4 Nos.) marketed by Bridgestone.

With proper pressure it will be green then loss of 2-4 psi it will be yellow and loss of 6-10 psi it will become red. Anybody has any experience about this things. In e-bay I have seen this things. How much this is effective?
Regards.
I would advise against using such crude contraptions. These pressure indicators will constantly be pressing on the tyre valves, which is how they give out pressure readings. I don't know how durable these things are and for how long they will be able to withstand these kinds of pressures.

Moreover if these things give out wrong readings it can mislead the car owner to think that his tyres have the right pressure. I am sure its manufactured by some local company and is just sold by the local Bridgestone dealer. Doubt if Bridgestone has anything to do with it.

Tyres are one of the most critical safety parts of your car and maintaining correct tyre pressure is extremely important. I don't trust most petrol bunks gauges either. Most of their gauges are out of calibration and give out wrong readings. The digital ones are the most innaccurate. Its best to carry your own analogue gauge and check pressures with it on a regular basis.
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 13:28   #53
BHPian

Hi,

I have a ford figo and yesterday, when I tried to fill fuel in Shell petrol bunk, Gachibowli Hyderabad (about 5 Kms distance from my place), the tyre pressure read 49 psi... Is it OK for the tyre to be at this pressure?
Old 29th November 2013, 23:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

The Ritz door sticker shows 33psi for all wheels when using 165/80R14 (VXI) and 29psi when using 185/70R14 (ZXI)! Any idea why the tyre pressure recommendation varies so much ?

Why should the wider tyre have much less air pressure ? I am trying to understand the basis for Maruti recommending this.
Old 30th November 2013, 00:42   #55
Senior - BHPian

What is the optimum reading for a Yoko A Drive, 195/70/R14? I was asked to keep all 4 at 33 PSI and I have only filled nitrogen till now. Though nothing to complain about, the tyre noise is pretty high. The car is a Dzire VDI.
Old 30th November 2013, 02:09   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhappyharsha View Post
Hi,

I have a ford figo and yesterday, when I tried to fill fuel in Shell petrol bunk, Gachibowli Hyderabad (about 5 Kms distance from my place), the tyre pressure read 49 psi... Is it OK for the tyre to be at this pressure?
49psi is way too much for the Figo! 30-32psi is the company recommended pressure. I suggest to get it rectified ASAP as you're running on extremely over inflated tires!
Old 30th November 2013, 02:56   #57
BHPian

36 psi in the front and 33 psi in the rear wheels.

A service advisor at a well known maruti authorised service centre had recommended this to me.

Is this tyre pressure ok for a swift vdi on stock 175/14 wheels?
Old 30th November 2013, 03:39   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhappyharsha View Post
Hi, I have a ford figo and yesterday, when I tried to fill fuel in Shell petrol bunk, Gachibowli Hyderabad (about 5 Kms distance from my place), the tyre pressure read 49 psi... Is it OK for the tyre to be at this pressure?
It's always cold tire pressure that needs to be measured ! Which means around 1-2km of max distance before checking pressure. Now , this pressure will depend on how much " less" was it as compared to the recommended number. Lower the pressure more will the air inside the tire get heated up.
That's why the 49 psi that you checked after 5 kms of driving is actually something much lower. And these dumb tire guys at petrol pumps will just end up saying its over inflated and will reduce the pressure. Which in reality will be much lower than safe levels and hence the risk of blowouts at higher speeds.

If at all I have to fill air at a local petrol pump , as a rule I ensure that I fill it at a place very near.

I usually fill 2 psi more than whatever is seen on the sticker
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 11:12   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

I always use a personal air pressure monitor (stick type) to ensure that I run on correct tyre pressures. Anything too less or too high and your car, tyres , FE & the ride suffers.

Last month, I bought an electronic air inflator (& a tubeless tyre puncture repair kit too) before embarking on a long drive. The inflator does the job well and runs on the 12V cigarette lighter socket. The make is 'air belle' and came for Rs. 1900/-. The puncture repair kit was bought for Rs. 500/-.
Old 8th December 2013, 11:05   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
The Ritz door sticker shows 33psi for all wheels when using 165/80R14 (VXI) and 29psi when using 185/70R14 (ZXI)! Any idea why the tyre pressure recommendation varies so much ?

Why should the wider tyre have much less air pressure ? I am trying to understand the basis for Maruti recommending this.
Looking forward to some inputs regarding this difference in tyre pressures for 2 different tyre widths ?

Most Viewed