Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2010, 00:33   #1
BHPian

Effect of parking in 6 inches of rain-water

Sunday late night, its raining heavily and has been so for the past couple of days. We enter the building to see cars have done shifting around since there is water logging everywhere within the building premises. In some places its more and those guys moved it to places with less water. As a result I dont get my car park. Now I go to an other place (and it is *not* someone else's car park) which has say 6 to 9 inches of rain water. My car would be at that location for atleast 7 hrs after which I will take it to the office. So, a couple of questions:

1. Why do people move around the car to a different location when they see there is water-logging? Are they afraid that overnight rains would raise the level of the water and then what...? What gets damaged? Engine/tyres or is it purely the fact that Mr.X wants to get into the car without dipping his feet into the water?

2. Now, my car would be standing in that 9 inches of water for 7 hrs. What is the effect of this soaking of the tyres in water for seven hours. The rubber gets drenched whole night and then what...? Is it bad for the tyres or is today's technology such that it does not affect it at all or is it minimal? What if I keep it for a longer period of time?

I love rains, but I got more more more than my share and its been raining off and on thru the last 5-6 months in TN. The temperature in Chennai is down to 21 deg C. Hm...

Btw, I am trying to find out Mr. X.

Last edited by jeevmenon : 6th December 2010 at 00:36.
Old 6th December 2010, 00:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

I dont think 9 hours of Water exposure will effect the rubber in the tyres even minutely.

Rims, Brakes might be another story though..
Old 6th December 2010, 02:35   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
I dont think 9 hours of Water exposure will effect the rubber in the tyres even minutely.

Rims, Brakes might be another story though..
Bearings may get rusted....
Old 6th December 2010, 08:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
1. Why do people move around the car to a different location when they see there is water-logging?
Well, I've my own reasons to move my car during a water log, you're free to knock them off, if you don't find them logical...
1. I don't want to step in the water when I get into the car
2. I don't want the car to be parked in mud, so that when I walk to the car the mud from my slippers get into it (may not be applicable in your flat)
3. In search of covered parking from open space
4. Another main factor would be that, if the rain continues forever, it might raise the water level & enter into exhaust.

Quote:
Are they afraid that overnight rains...dipping his feet into the water?
These type of morons should be sent to MN & MI where the car WILL be covered with snow the next day. They'll probably get a heart attack seeing that.

Giving a different thought, if ppl love their cars so much that they want to protect from rain, these are the same morons who drive reckless too right? So why be careful at all?

Quote:
Now, my car would be standing in that...longer period of time?
Well, I don't think anything would happen except that the rubber might soften a bit. But move your car to avoid soaking in water for days together. Few hours or overnight is fine. Probably rust in & around the front disc brake areas; weaken disc pad (assume); water entering into rear drums; rust for sure in the case of steel drums;

Quote:
I love rains, but I got more more more than my share and its been raining off and on thru the last 5-6 months in TN. The temperature in Chennai is down to 21 deg C. Hm...
Me too enjoyed the drive all way from home to office, it was pitch dark (early morning hours), very very less two-wheelers & I could do it in less than 45 minutes which usually takes a little over an hour on any sunny day same time.

Last edited by aargee : 6th December 2010 at 08:45.
Old 6th December 2010, 10:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Bearings may get rusted....
That may happen only if the wheel is more than half immersed in water, not otherwise.

@Jeevmenon
It has been raining non-stop from 4.00 PM yesterday till the time I type this. My car is parked in the open parking lot throughout this time. Though there is no waterlogging and it is a cement floor, the tyres are contnuosly wet. IMO it makes no difference whether the tyre is partly immersed in water or water is continuously pouring on it. Either way nothing will happen.

As for people shifting their cars around, it is a matter of convenience. Nobody can complain unless that particular spot is reserved for him, or the offending car belongs to a visitor and not to an inmate of the apartments.

Last edited by Gansan : 6th December 2010 at 10:34.
Old 9th December 2010, 23:34   #6
BHPian

Re: Effect of parking in 6 inches of rain-water

Take 2:

Again, my parking is taken by someone else. Again following on Mr. Gandhi takes his car over the stagnant slimy water, parks it in an unreserved area, gets off the car and wets his leather shoe and walks home. I had seen another car park which was empty, but I did not park. The chain-reaction is the worst according to me. What would you have done? What next can I do?
Old 10th December 2010, 08:52   #7
BHPian

Next Day: Morning 8 am.

Wifey/Little-Neha come along with me with a bucket of water, in case I needed to clear the grime of my feet after I enter the car. Wrote a couple of notes - one on the illegally parked car and one on the wall of my reserved car park area. I have given my phone number as well on that note. Poll: Will he/she call me? I used slippers to walk to my car. Bucket of water was not needed. Wifey was careful and picked up the slippers back home. I carried my shoe in a bag.

I understand that he would have also had to undergo this, but the point is, whose headache is it? He could have searched for a legal place - since when I circled around the building I found areas with lesser slime and some cars parked around those places. It was late and dark for me to further explore. He should have taken the pain/effort. Or if he is that concerned, park his car at the office (as I did one day)/ friend's place. Musical chair is never ending. Why do we call it "reserved" car park? Too much cribbing from me... forget it.

Ah! Maybe every day I will cross-park my bike in my car park when I leave for the office and swap it in the evening. Quite an exercise. But for all you know, folks would shift the bike as well. How about having live-wire (electric fence) and activate it after I leave?

Anyway, thanks for the info that the water wont affect the tyres if left for a few hours. I was rest-assured last night.
Old 10th December 2010, 10:15   #8
BHPian

He did call. Atleast he did that. It appears that his place was occupied by bikes and he was mentioning the same area close to where I finally parked. So, it was possible for him to park. The conversation started with low tone, I did not want to increase my ampere but finally I had to mention to him that it felt like smashing his windscreen. It was cold from the other end throughout the call.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks