Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2005, 17:36   #1
BHPian

What is the advantage of Alloy Wheels?

From the net searching I've gathered that:
  • Alloy wheels are lighter than normal factory fitted steel wheels
  • They offer smoother steering and braking performance
But I like to know
  • What sort of better performance you get with alloy wheels - do you really feel the difference?
  • How much do they cost (just an appx. value for any car)?
  • Do they wear & tear quicker compared to normal steel wheels?
  • Do they reduce fuel comsumption (as they are lighter)?
  • Why don't manufacturers fit them as standard?
sbasak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2005, 17:44   #2
Max
BHPian

alloy wheels are very strong and good for tubeless tyres. They don't break etc., hence good for highway driving. I think they don't tear as normal steel rims. Alloy can cost anywhere from 15k to 30k for 4 wheels depend upon size, quality, imported, indian, etc., manufacturers don't provide it as standard because they cost 8 times more then normal rims hence they save cost in production.

this is little info, from newbie, i am sure others will provide you with better info
Old 22nd December 2005, 18:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

allloys..
1) stronger that steel
2) LOOK REALLLY REALLY GOOD.
3) COST MORE, so u have the EXCLUSIVITY of having a ALLOY

i dunno of any other benefit.
Old 22nd December 2005, 18:28   #4
BHPian

I think there must be umpteen posts on this, search and ye will find.
Old 22nd December 2005, 18:32   #5
Team-BHP Support

1) Alloys dissipate heat faster, better braking as a result.
2) Alloys are much lighter, lowers unsprung weight, better performance as a result.
3) Alloys don't easily bend like steel rims, therefore a much better choice with tubeless.

Downside: Price. Also, can't get replacements. Have to buy set of 5.
Old 10th May 2013, 20:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Benefit of alloy wheels

Is there any downside in using tubeless tyres on steel wheels as opposed to alloy? I am asking in order to decide between two variants of the Etios.

I know that alloys are lighter, with the advantage in handling conferred by that. And appearance. Is there any other disadvantage of using the OEM steel wheel/tubeless tyre performance with respect to how well these tyres work with steel wheels?

I will be driving the car on normal Indian tarred/concrete roads in Pune/intercity, which is to say on decent surfaces almost entirely.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 21:02   #7
BANNED

Re: Benefit of alloy wheels

There is no issue with tubeless tyres on steel wheels against tubeless on alloy wheels.All manufacturers have model variants which offer tubeless on steel wheels.
Old 10th May 2013, 21:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
There is no issue with tubeless tyres on steel wheels against tubeless on alloy wheels.All manufacturers have model variants which offer tubeless on steel wheels.
Well, yes. I also have experience with my Gypsy that is doing fine for 4 years now with tubeless tyres on stock steel rims. I don't do extreme off roading, but the suspension of the car is such that passengers and rims take a lot more beating on normal roads/potholes than they would in better sprung cars. And I haven't had any issues, nor do I have to check pressures more often than once in two months or so.
Also, I discovered there is a thread on this subject, my apologies to mods - but that thread doesn't seem to be conclusive...
Old 10th May 2013, 21:15   #9
BHPian

As such there is not much of a difference between tubeless tires on alloy wheels or steel wheels, save for weight. But as far as I know alloys are much stronger than steel rims and less prone to getting bent.
Old 10th May 2013, 21:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
But as far as I know alloys are much stronger than steel rims and less prone to getting bent.
True, they will break instead, but only if really hammered.

But there is something else a tyre dealer told me once, no idea how valid this is. One of my i20s tyres developed a bulge in the sidewall. He said that this is common in alloys which do not bend, but pass on the stress to the tyre sidewall, where a steel rim would first bend. The tyre is ruined, kept as a stepney for just slow speed emergency driving to the next repair shop use. Michelin tyre.

Anyone heard anything on the above lines?
Old 10th May 2013, 21:47   #11
BHPian

Even I remember a tyre dealer telling me that alloy wheels never get bent but rather they crack. But a steel rim when bent can be fixed back. Also procuring a new set of alloys is costlier than a new set of steel rims. But only in a hypothetical situation a alloy wheel may crack, in the day to day conditions they are extremely rare IMHO.
But you could buy the the etios with steel rims(guessing G ) and buy a good branded snazzy looking aftermarket set of alloys. It would also be cheaper than buying the V variant.
EDIT : Michelin and Yokohama tires are made of a relatively softer compound when compared to others like Bridgestones, MRF(rock solid) , Goodyear, JK and so on.

Last edited by Shanksta : 10th May 2013 at 21:50.
Old 10th May 2013, 23:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Alloys are WAY stronger than steel rims, more rigid=better handling, lighter=better performance and efficiency. Oh and they look good too :P Alloys also have the added benefit of being more stable; steel rims, even though they come with a certain coating, it eventually wears off and they react to oxygen and trace amounts of vapour leading to oxidized rims which can cause more leakage of air requiring you to check pressure levels more frequently. Of course, you can have rims mended, un-dented, cleaned etc BUT there is no running away from the fact that alloys are better at everything
That being said, if the price difference in the variants you are considering is more than you are comfortable paying, then don't bother with the alloys you aren't racing and there aren't any major disadvantages.
Old 11th May 2013, 10:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Tubeless Tyres can work ok with steel rims. The main suitability criteria is sealing of air between Tyre and rim. Here, alloys have an advantage (esp. on our potholed, speedbreaker infested roads) due to their higher rigidity. Steel rims can bend/deform more easily causing air to leak out - just the probability is higher, not that this happens most times.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 11th May 2013 at 10:51.

Most Viewed