Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2010, 16:17   #1
BANNED

Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

So as the title suggests and im sure a lot of people will upgrade on this car since it looks skinny on stock tires itself. mine is coming with apollo 185.60.15 and im planning to put yokohama C drive 195.60.15 on the stock rims itself. i dont want michelin stuff its just not for india. if anything better let me know asap please.
Old 31st December 2010, 20:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
So as the title suggests and im sure a lot of people will upgrade on this car since it looks skinny on stock tires itself. mine is coming with apollo 185.60.15 and im planning to put yokohama C drive 195.60.15 on the stock rims itself. i dont want michelin stuff its just not for india. if anything better let me know asap please.
A 10 mm wider tyre is not going to male such a difference, even visually. and your tyre overall diameter will increase giving you a 2% over reading speedo error. Better would be 205/55/15 keeping overall dia almost same. Wonder if the rims are 5.5" width, which can take this.

BTW what are you looking for in the tyre? comfort, less noise, performance?

And what is it you don't like about Michelins? You can see problems people faced here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...lin-tyres.html

Last edited by goandude : 31st December 2010 at 20:29.
Old 31st December 2010, 20:42   #3
Team-BHP Support

Jesal get 205/55 as suggested above. It will look better, and give you the little extra grip. Do check what tyres you get in that size.

Otherwise 195/60 would also be fine, and your ride quality would probably get slightly better.
Old 1st January 2011, 14:44   #4
BANNED

i am not going 55 profile again since this is a family car and i dont want my parents hating me for every pothole bombay has. i have 55 on the civic and i know it. so 60 is final. the reason i want to change is because ive always wanted to try c drives and im kinda happy with yokos. should i keep the stock apollo or not. forget the visual and all stuff. i need good ride and should last a little over 25k kms. ive had s drives on civic for a year now with one punture only last week. do c drives punture out a lot ? are sidewalls soft or medium and how many mm is the wall ?
Old 1st January 2011, 15:33   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i am not going 55 profile again since this is a family car and i dont want my parents hating me for every pothole bombay has. i have 55 on the civic and i know it. so 60 is final.
So that you better understand type size & profile, I'm including a comparo of the various options from 1010tyres.com calculator.

- Don't go by the "55" profile number alone. Compared to the stock 185/60 R15 tyre, the 205/55 R15 has a taller sidewall and will thus give you the same / better ride quality.

- It is also the closest in terms of overall diameter (0.55% difference) to the stock.

As Akshay & Goandude have posted, 205/55 R15 is the perfect upsize. It will give you the grip AND ride quality you desire.

Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-volkswagen-vento-tyre-size-comparison.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
A 10 mm wider tyre is not going to male such a difference
It can, actually. The quality of tyre is more important than the width. Thus, a 195 patch tyre of better quality will make a HUGE difference over the OEM crap that most Indian car manufacturers use. Heck, even a high quality 185/60 R15 tyre will be WAY better than stock.

Last edited by GTO : 1st January 2011 at 15:34.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st January 2011, 23:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i am not going 55 profile again since this is a family car and i dont want my parents hating me for every pothole bombay has. i have 55 on the civic and i know it. so 60 is final. the reason i want to change is because ive always wanted to try c drives and im kinda happy with yokos. should i keep the stock apollo or not. forget the visual and all stuff. i need good ride and should last a little over 25k kms. ive had s drives on civic for a year now with one punture only last week. do c drives punture out a lot ? are sidewalls soft or medium and how many mm is the wall ?
jesal
Don't go blindly by the profile no. Its related to the width of the tire as well as mentioned by GTO.

205/55-15 is the best upgrade in terms of size.
Is it for a diesel ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It can, actually. The quality of tyre is more important than the width. Thus, a 195 patch tyre of better quality will make a HUGE difference over the OEM crap that most Indian car manufacturers use. Heck, even a high quality 185/60 R15 tyre will be WAY better than stock.
Totally agree with you.
But in this case, the OEM tire is Apollo Aceleres which is a pretty good tire in comparison to GPS2, GT3, S322s and ZV2Ks.
Old 2nd January 2011, 01:38   #7
BANNED

the thing is the car height will be lowered as well right ? also its a AT not a diesel, point remains should i upgrade or not ???
Old 2nd January 2011, 02:50   #8
BHPian

Quote:
the thing is the car height will be lowered as well right ? also its a AT not a diesel, point remains should i upgrade or not ???
Nope the car height would be almost identical as indicated by the calculator (well a difference of .55% you wont notice)
Old 2nd January 2011, 07:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, the GC will increase by 1.5mm. Only with 195/55-15 the car will be lowered.

IMO, for a AT petrol you should stick with stock size or get 195s.
Old 2nd January 2011, 11:52   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
No, the GC will increase by 1.5mm. Only with 195/55-15 the car will be lowered.

IMO, for a AT petrol you should stick with stock size or get 195s.
exactly the reason i dont wanna get 205. see the thing is should i even bother to change the tires at all. how good are the apollos. will they do the same job as c drives. the difference amount i have to pay after everything is 6k.
Old 2nd January 2011, 11:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

@Jesal - My advice is, if you have the petrol, stick to the stock tyres for now. IMHO you won't be able to exploit the benefits of the upsize considering the power delivery characteristics of the Vento Petrol.

If at all you do upsize, C-Drives are the best all rounder tyres for Indian conditions, and you won't regret the decision.
Old 2nd January 2011, 13:26   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
@Jesal - My advice is, if you have the petrol, stick to the stock tyres for now. IMHO you won't be able to exploit the benefits of the upsize considering the power delivery characteristics of the Vento Petrol.

If at all you do upsize, C-Drives are the best all rounder tyres for Indian conditions, and you won't regret the decision.
exactly whats on my mind too. lets see carrying cash with me tomorrow if in the mood ill change it to c drives 195.60.15.
Old 2nd January 2011, 13:50   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
, the OEM tire is Apollo Aceleres which is a pretty good tire in comparison to GPS2, GT3, S322s and ZV2Ks.
I thought they had switched to some Russian brand a while back. I did get Acceleres with my Polo 4 months ago.
Old 2nd January 2011, 23:17   #14
BHPian

I will be getting my Vento HL TDI very soon and I am planning to go for 205-55-R16.

1. Is 205-55-R16 the right fit for Vento TDI?
2. Should I go for Yokohama S or should it be Yokohama A drive (For less tyre noise and better life..)?. Should I consider Bridgestone?. As of now, I am thinking about Yoko A drive.

I am planning to sell the stock alloys and tyres.

Thoughts?
motorhead5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2011, 23:48   #15
BHPian

either 195/55/15 or 205/50/15

Most Viewed