Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2011, 05:38   #1
BHPian

Restoration of a Norton Big Four 633cc - Stage 1 - Stripping her down

Hey guys, had managed to pick up this beauty a year ago however didn't get any time to start restoring her then. Also the paperwork involved kept dragging on and on, and i didn't want to start restoring her for the fear of having it being claimed later since i didn't have the clear papers.

Finally all said and done, managed to get the papers about 2 weeks ago and so it was time to make this beauty shine like the day she rolled out of the factory.

As you can see from the pictures, Most of the stuff is on the bike and not much stuff is required to be sourced, however whatever is required is mainly cosmetic and external, and will be acquired - over time - and brought up to concourse, hopefully!

The engine was firing when we picked her up, however there was sound which told a tale of bearings having worn off and also a years downtime has not helped and so the entire engine will be opened up and refurbished. Bearings and the like will be renewed so as to give this baby another lease of life for a good no. of years!

Updates will be coming slowly and steadily - most probably we expect to complete this baby before the rains in June end or July.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of a Norton Big Four 633cc - Stage 1 - Stripping her down-full-bikeleft800.jpg  

Restoration of a Norton Big Four 633cc - Stage 1 - Stripping her down-full-bikeright800.jpg  

Restoration of a Norton Big Four 633cc - Stage 1 - Stripping her down-handle-headlight800.jpg  

Restoration of a Norton Big Four 633cc - Stage 1 - Stripping her down-rear-sprocket-hub800.jpg  

Restoration of a Norton Big Four 633cc - Stage 1 - Stripping her down-rear-wheel800.jpg  

Restoration of a Norton Big Four 633cc - Stage 1 - Stripping her down-amal-carb800.jpg  

Restoration of a Norton Big Four 633cc - Stage 1 - Stripping her down-carb-tappet-cover800.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 2nd May 2011, 05:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Restoration of a Norton Big Four 633cc - Stage 1 - Stripping her down

This is a beauty. Where did you get it and how much did you pay?
vina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:35   #3
BHPian

Wondeful aquisition!! As you said, seems most of the parts are intact. Please do share us the updates!! All the best for the restoration!!
glomus123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:56   #4
BHPian

Hey Kevin,

She is a beauty.. Where did you pick her up? In pune itself? all th best for the restoration.. would love to see her..

Priyadarshan
priyadarshan.b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:38   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Hey guys, had managed to pick up this beauty a year ago however didn't get any time to start restoring her then. Also the paperwork involved kept dragging on and on, and i didn't want to start restoring her for the fear of having it being claimed later since i didn't have the clear papers.

Finally all said and done, managed to get the papers about 2 weeks ago and so it was time to make this beauty shine like the day she rolled out of the factory.

As you can see from the pictures, Most of the stuff is on the bike and not much stuff is required to be sourced, however whatever is required is mainly cosmetic and external, and will be acquired - over time - and brought up to concourse, hopefully!

The engine was firing when we picked her up, however there was sound which told a tale of bearings having worn off and also a years downtime has not helped and so the entire engine will be opened up and refurbished. Bearings and the like will be renewed so as to give this baby another lease of life for a good no. of years!

Updates will be coming slowly and steadily - most probably we expect to complete this baby before the rains in June end or July.

Fantastic ride. Congratulations

If it is a Norton, no one Better than Pappi Singh - Hyderabad for help.

BTW, your Bike seems to have got all its ORIGINAL parts intact, so would not be too much of a headache.

Will follow this thread closely.

All the Best.
Old 4th May 2011, 10:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
This is a beauty. Where did you get it and how much did you pay?
Will post / update all costs once the project is complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomus123 View Post
Wondeful aquisition!! As you said, seems most of the parts are intact. Please do share us the updates!! All the best for the restoration!!
Updates will come slowly and steadily and i will definitely share them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Hey Kevin,
She is a beauty.. Where did you pick her up? In pune itself? all th best for the restoration.. would love to see her..
Priyadarshan
You are more than welcome to come and see the restoration. Do let me know whenever you want to see her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Fantastic ride. Congratulations
BTW, your Bike seems to have got all its ORIGINAL parts intact, so would not be too much of a headache.
Will follow this thread closely.
All the Best.
Thanks PK, I do not have Mr. Pappi Singhs contact no. maybe you could pm me details. Will get in touch with him in-case i need any help.
Yes she does have most parts intact and also some stuff that you must have noticed not on the bike are the original front brake lever, chain guard and original smiths meter, which we have and will be fitted when she is complete.
Old 4th May 2011, 12:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
+1 on that Pavan Saab, no one knows Norton better than Pappi Singh from Hyderabad. He never ceases to amaze me by his indepth knowledge about his Nortons. His passionate love for Norton is evidently visible when you see the name of his shop "NORTON Engineering Works". Not to forget, the name Norton Singh.
Old 4th May 2011, 23:02   #8
BHPian

Wow! What a beauty! She'll be one helluva looker once you are done with the restoration. Keep us posted on the same!
Old 7th May 2011, 10:56   #9
BHPian

Had thought i would be able to update some snaps today, but unfortunately things are busy at the mechanic and at my side too.

Hopefully there will be some updates in the coming week!
Old 7th May 2011, 12:37   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
+1 on that Pavan Saab, no one knows Norton better than Pappi Singh from Hyderabad.
His passionate love for Norton is evidently visible when you see the name of his shop "NORTON Engineering Works". Not to forget, the name Norton Singh.
That's his younger son's actual name!

But yes, at one time, he also used to be nicknamed thus. Maybe that gave him the idea.
Old 29th September 2011, 14:22   #11
BHPian

just a teaser of what it looks like now!!!!!! sorry that i couldn't post continuous updates but the rains and impromtu visits to the workshop without the camera were to blame!
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of a Norton Big Four 633cc - Stage 1 - Stripping her down-240920111.jpg  

kevinephraim is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 15:30   #12
BHPian

One word; Stunning

Regards
Prithvi
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 06:28   #13
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
just a teaser of what it looks like now!!!!!!
The bike really looks good. Have you been able to have a ride? This was a very good buy kevinephraim considering it was in such an original condition.

Ride Safe

Cheers

KPS
Old 10th October 2011, 06:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:

All the best for this wonderful project, if yet to be started
Belated wishes if completed she is done before July as you mentioned, but cleverly you have not mentioned the year.
Any way here is a link, where my Norton 16H's project is summarized at a website>>>>

Classics > Norton WD16H : Updated! | Riot Engine
Cheers!!
MUTHU KUMAR.K ( powertwin)
just pics for you from my end>>>

Last edited by powertwin : 10th October 2011 at 07:04.
powertwin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 09:18   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
All the best for this wonderful project, if yet to be started
Belated wishes if completed she is done before July as you mentioned, but cleverly you have not mentioned the year.
The project has been completed, as mentioned earlier, though only in September this year (2011). We started the project in May 2011.
There was nothing clever about not mentioning the year, just thought the dates of the posts would be enough for cleverer people.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks