Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2012, 09:33   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Cartier Travel With Style 2013 Preview - Press Conference, 26th November

Yesterday Cartier organised a press conference to showcase the upcoming 2013 Travel with Style Concours. The venue was the impressive Bhau Daji Lad Museum in Byculla - a must see.

Cartier Travel With Style 2013 Preview - Press Conference, 26th November-museum01.jpg

Cartier Travel With Style 2013 Preview - Press Conference, 26th November-museum02.jpg

On display were 4 cars and 2 bikes
The cars were
  • Packard Tourer of Viveck Goenka (ex Datia car)
  • Rolls Royce Silver Wraith of Yash Ruia (ex Mountbatten/Rashtrapati Bhavan)
  • MG TC of Yash Ruia
  • Fiat Super Select of Rony Vesuna
Cartier Travel With Style 2013 Preview - Press Conference, 26th November-packard01.jpg
Cartier Travel With Style 2013 Preview - Press Conference, 26th November-rolls01.jpg
Cartier Travel With Style 2013 Preview - Press Conference, 26th November-mg01.jpg
Cartier Travel With Style 2013 Preview - Press Conference, 26th November-fiat01.jpg

The bikes were
  • Indian Chief of Mandar Phadke
  • AJS single of Jacob Eapen (I guess representing the preservation class)
  • Norton Manx of Dnyanesh Samant
Cartier Travel With Style 2013 Preview - Press Conference, 26th November-indian01.jpg
Cartier Travel With Style 2013 Preview - Press Conference, 26th November-ajs01.jpg
Cartier Travel With Style 2013 Preview - Press Conference, 26th November-manx01.jpg

While not all of the above will be participating in the event, I believe the display was more of a showcase of the kind of things to come.

Speakers present included
  • Louis Ferla, Regional Director, Cartier Middle East, India & Africa
  • Mark Shand, Event Director, Cartier Travel with Style Concours D'Elegance
  • Manvendra Singh of Barwani, Curator, Cartier Travel with Style Concours D'Elegance
A copy of the press release is attached as under

Press Release - Cartier Travel With Style Concours D'Elegance Preview, 26 November, Mumbai.pdf

Mr. Barwani announced some new classes, including a Shikar Class, showcasing some unique cars, custom built for the then popular game hunting that was prevalent. Another new class was 'Limousines', apparently showcaseing cars that were specially built/customised for the ladies of the household, probably purdah cars. Another new category mentiond was motorcycles. A special emphasis was made on the Indian Heritage Category.

Some of the judges have also been announced, including emminent personalities like ex Ferrari supremo and current FIA boss Jean Todt, Easy Rider star Peter Fonda, Pebble Beach chairperson Sandra Button and more.

The final venue has been announced as Taj Land's End, Bandra, and will be held in early February (I think the 9th and 10th).

My personal views?

I am really looking forward to the event - with such emminent personalities gracing the occassion, it should be a treat for us all.

On multiple occassions, an emphasis was made on how this event is different from other celebrated events across the world. While talking with the organisers, they mentioned one should not compare this event with something like (for e.g.) Pebble Beach - by and large our cars are nowhere near comparable in condition, so why pretend that they are? Focus on the local flavour, and how well preserved and original many cars are. A specific mention was made on how the event is not about showing simply the most expensive cars per se.

A very valid mention was about the Shikar class, and how they hope to educate that the royal families were not indiscriminate in their shooting / game hunting, but it was a very controlled affair, unlike today. I personally do not endorse any kind of hunting for sport, but I do welcome this angle.

There was also a mention of a book being published after a few more events.

And while walking around the premises I saw this delightful snack stall, an old trailer converter.

Cartier Travel With Style 2013 Preview - Press Conference, 26th November-trailer01.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 28th November 2012 at 13:49.
karlosdeville is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 10:46   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Cartier Travel With Style 2013 Preview - Press Conference, 26th November

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Vintage Car Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 11:08   #3
BHPian

This morning's edition of the Hindustan Times and The Indian Express have carried large articles with pictures and interviews with cars owners. Sadly, though the Indian heritage class is going to be an important part of the show, our print media did not think it worthwhile to picture Roni's exquisite Fiat. Karl, why do you THINK that the show will be on feb 9th and 10th? Surely at the press conference the dates were announced?? The dates , feb 9th and 10th , are confirmed. The venue was changed from the Turf club to the Taj. Entry this time will be strictly by invitation.
Old 28th November 2012, 15:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Sadly, though the Indian heritage class is going to be an important part of the show, our print media did not think it worthwhile to picture Roni's exquisite Fiat.
Then we have to fix that right? The car continues to stun me. Everytime I see it, it gets better and better with his single minded dedication.

Cartier Travel With Style 2013 Preview - Press Conference, 26th November-fiat-1100.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Karl, why do you THINK that the show will be on feb 9th and 10th? Surely at the press conference the dates were announced?

Entry this time will be strictly by invitation.
The press release only mentioned February, hence I cannot confirm the dates, though you are right I'm sure.

If I remember right even the previous events were strictly by invitation. I do understand the need to restrict visitors at such a setting, though I would personally love for a display to be arranged for all to see, even if cordoned.
karlosdeville is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 17:45   #5
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Very nice.

I met the previous owner of the Indian, Mr. Shashidhar at DKG's office a year back. He narrated me an interesting story on why he actually sold the bike. He rode the bike from Bangalore to Hyderabad and made the journey in super quick time. Realizing the speeds that he had done on this journey, his wife told him that he had to decided between the bike and her! He obviously let go of the bike being a wise man that he is.

Glad to see the pictures of the Manx. I met Dnyanesh at the Zapp function and he had mentioned about the bike to me.

All the best to the participants

Cheers

KPS
Old 28th November 2012, 22:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville

Then we have to fix that right? The car continues to stun me. Everytime I see it, it gets better and better with his single minded dedication.
I must agree that it is a fabulous car and at one time i was a suitor when it was lying at our friends basement in pune.

In anycase i was always of the understanding that it was the president's 57 fiat that was selected for the show or atleast I was led to believe so by my tweety ;-) correct me if wrong.
Old 28th November 2012, 23:22   #7
BHPian

It is the 57, as mentioned somewhere, the cars shown at the press release are not necessarily the ones entered. Vivecks Packard also is not entered.
Bulldogji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 09:55   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Roni - congratulations for your fantastic dedication. If you need any help, you can call me anytime, it is my pleasure to help out.

Dear Karl - there used to be an Indian Chief motorcycle in Jer Baug Byculla, would this be the same one? There was one in Dadar Parsi Colony as well, long ears back when I was in school.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 17:18   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
I met the previous owner of the Indian, Mr. Shashidhar at DKG's office a year back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Karl - there used to be an Indian Chief motorcycle in Jer Baug Byculla, would this be the same one? There was one in Dadar Parsi Colony as well, long ears back when I was in school.
If I'm not mistaken, before Hyderabad the bike was in Lonavala with Huey. He had 2 - one running, one not. Don't know if he still has the other one.
Old 29th November 2012, 20:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Roni - congratulations for your fantastic dedication. If you need any help, you can call me anytime, it is my pleasure to help out.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
This is the Byculla bike . Picture taken in 1999/2000
Cartier Travel With Style 2013 Preview - Press Conference, 26th November-.jpg
Can you identify the Parsi colony ? This was 1954. BTW - My dad is featured in both the pictures. BMZ 440 was owned by him.
Attached Thumbnails
Cartier Travel With Style 2013 Preview - Press Conference, 26th November-scan0007.jpg  

dominator is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 13:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Yesterday Cartier organised a press conference to showcase the upcoming 2013 Travel with Style Concours.
  • Fiat Super Select of Rony Vesuna
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Quote:
Dear Roni - congratulations for your fantastic dedication.
Behram Dhabhar
Awesome car 3499 of your's Roni. Congrats!!!.
I believe he has a whole bunch of Fiats and even a LHD, and that he's a Stanislite and a Wilsonian too. Bandra boy?
deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 14:07   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
Can you identify the Parsi colony ? This was 1954.
Dear Dominator - I think this is the New Khareghat Colony.

Dear Deutscheafrikar - Rony had a beautiful LHD MRY9501. I loved that car!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 30th November 2020, 23:57   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
This is the Byculla bike . Picture taken in 1999/2000
Attachment 1020104
Can you identify the Parsi colony ? This was 1954. BTW - My dad is featured in both the pictures. BMZ 440 was owned by him.
Dear Dominator, I know I'm 8 years late but as they say, better late than never. BMZ 440 looks lovely and the colony that you happen to be asking about is Tata Colony, Tardeo, Mumbai.
Here's my dad as a teenager on the family Indian in the same colony .
Attached Thumbnails
Cartier Travel With Style 2013 Preview - Press Conference, 26th November-img_20140201_17304111.jpg  

Burjis Zaveri is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks