Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2013, 21:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dad meets his ol' flame : The Mercedes W111

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

Hi " the mole", by any chance would that be Fiat wala Ravi, ex Peddar road now Shivaji park Mr. Bean Nene.
The ravi you talk about aka bean is not the same person. The ravi i speak about is a car mechanic from the shivaji park area
the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 12:37   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I can only imagine your dads happiness! And, should've made him proud of his son, for making it happen!

The merc's interiors look like they could keep you comfy even without springs!.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 13:13   #18
BHPian

Hi GTO, the photo where your dad is standing along with the car with his arm on her reminded me of photos of old Maharajas... they used to tame a lion/tiger and take a photo with the big cat besides them.. I love the expression on his face..

It's wonderful you could manage to have the car for him.

Yes, I wish MMB 38 was still around in your family.

Last edited by GTO : 5th October 2013 at 17:45. Reason: Typo. Please proof-read posts before submitting. Thanks
samyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 17:48   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Did I read this correctly the car in the pic has a 50year old paint job and still looks gleaming today
Nope. What I meant was, since Mr. Goenka bought the car, it hasn't been repainted. The previous owner would probably have put her through a couple of paint jobs by now.

Quote:
Is that's a left hand drive car your pictured sitting on
Yep. LHD with an ivory steering wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I'm sure you really made a very special day for them.
Thanks to you, Karl
Old 5th October 2013, 23:39   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Rushabh for starting a lovely thread full of nostalgic moments. Guess the moments were truly golden for your parents, when they could be with their cherished one after so many years.
The car is in a fantastic shape as of now and it is hoped that it will look better after the owner desired full restoration job, in the near future.
I am sure you will try and get back the beauty one day to your garage, this time permanently!
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 02:12   #21
BHPian

All through our lives our parents work hard to see that us kids have everything we need.

GTO today you gave your parents a day to remember; a day of happiness and fond memories.

Kudos to you.
The glint of happiness in your Dad's eyes is PRICELESS!
sapeco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 09:28   #22
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Am sure you felt even more satisfied than your Dad on being able to arrange this meeting. Your dad would have been very touched.

Many of us have similar dreams of arranging some thing similarly nostalgic for their parents and yet very few of us actually manage to deliver on this. Congrats on doing so.

I used to be bowled over by a line of Mercedes parked outside the Bombay Presidency Golf Club at Chembur on the topic of acquiring one of those. I remember my dad telling me (some time in the early 80's) that it is one thing to buy one of these (actually referring to a similar age vehicle and another to maintain it in an acceptable state; your narration on how hard it was to get parts then reaffirms this, possibly it is easier to maintain and source parts in India today than it was all those years back.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 09:56   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Guess the moments were truly golden for your parents
You bet. Yesterday, on the meal table, they brought up some more W111 stories

Quote:
I am sure you will try and get back the beauty one day to your garage, this time permanently!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapeco View Post
The glint of happiness in your Dad's eyes is PRICELESS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
your narration on how hard it was to get parts then reaffirms this, possibly it is easier to maintain and source parts in India today than it was all those years back.
Thanks to the medium that changed our lives more than anyone could have imagined - The internet!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2013, 12:45   #24

The Smile on your Dad and Mom's face is reward enough to know the Old Flame Merc is still a Golden Flame Merc.

Memories are precious especially when you get to experience them again. Kudos.
starfanrld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 11:15   #25
BHPian

Well your Parents are in for another treat, Chris Harris is racing a W111 with David Coulthard this week

source:
Diesel_convert is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 01:11   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_convert View Post
Well your Parents are in for another treat, Chris Harris is racing a W111 with David Coulthard this week
You beat me to it. the first thing that came to my mind was "GTO - this video was made for Sr. GTO"

Here is the video

adityasiera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 16:58   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
I remember that once upon a time all mercs in bombay came to shivaji park for work including shammi kapoor, shashi kapoor amongst others all of them were repaired by mr shettty his garage was next to the current coffee day around the park. He was very eccentric and the famous lined up to get their cars especially mercs done from him. His assistant was ravi, still around looks after my ponton.

At that point there were were a couple of mercs in the area ours was a white 200 in road no 3( where we lived) then there was the wagle's blue ponton in their building next to coffee day. Dr dalvi had a amzing 115 which he had got feom germany.The owners of sanman also owned a black fin type and finally your apparently amazingly spanking 220S.

These topics do get touched upon when Ravi visits my office ocassionally. There were so many rare and amazing cars in the lanes of shivaji park at one time unfortunately all gone today. I think only my ponton remains. I would be happy to show it to your dad if he ever wants to see it. Cheers and thanks for bringing up fond memories.
Slightly off topic, do you have pics of the Frazer Nash and Impala in the Balmohan school lane ? Plus, I guess the Pathares on Road No 3 owned a Dodge (not sure about it, was an old American for sure)
Old 18th October 2013, 17:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

I cannot get those sofa seats out of my mind.
Elders surely had it good. Big cars, cheap Petrol and those sofa seats.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 17:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
Slightly off topic, do you have pics of the Frazer Nash and Impala in the Balmohan school lane ? Plus, I guess the Pathares on Road No 3 owned a Dodge (not sure about it, was an old American for sure)
No I do not have pictures, the Pathare's were our neighbours. They had impalas, biscaynes, all convertibles. The car i love and remember the most is the Truimph TR2 which is now in Delhi i am told. Pathare also had early dodge kingsway convertibles 2 I think. We had a hardtop. This is in the 70's. There were tons of other cars. I think also a Rambler Marlin.
Old 14th February 2016, 17:47   #30
BHPian

I have an honest doubt. Why can't people design such beauties today? Compared with the older Mercs, our new cars are decidedly ugly. Am I wrong?
karuvally is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks