Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2013, 09:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
The car looks absolutely good to go on its own.
OMG!! How do you manage to judge the mechanical condition of the vehicle just by the looks of it? Any specific pointers that you can share? Will be of great help for people who shop for used cars online!
Old 19th October 2013, 09:41   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
The car looks absolutely good to go on its own. Stanher will confirm that 60 kms an hour is not tough on heralds at all. Driving down with a tool box, mechanic and simple spares like hosepipes, fuses should sail you through.

The trip,will also bind you to your car, something to tell your grandkids and ofcourse the rest of team bhp. Go for it!
Hi mole,
Thanks for the vigor you provide , will go see the mechanic this after noon. And I am trying to bring Stanher to this thread but I dunno how it works. Iam still a newbie to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
OMG!! How do you manage to judge the mechanical condition of the vehicle just by the looks of it? Any specific pointers that you can share? Will be of great help for people who shop for used cars online!
Hi warwithwheels,

Here are more pics of the engine bay so that it can be judged clearly.

Towing a Vintage Car: Precautions to be taken-tz1665.jpg

Towing a Vintage Car: Precautions to be taken-tz1666.jpg

Towing a Vintage Car: Precautions to be taken-tz1668.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 19th October 2013 at 15:01. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
meisnutz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2013, 12:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Am not an expert to judge the mechanicals of the car just by the looks if it.

But let me tell you , there's barely any thread left on the front right tyre. Please don't risk your life or the car by driving it down or towing it as a trailer.

If you are worried about the in transit damage while shipping it thru a container or flat bed, please take note that there's certainly a greater degree of risk in driving it down or towing it as a trailer.

Am not trying to discourage or undermine the capability of your machine or your driving abilities. This is only in the interest of your safety and the wellness of your machine.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 19th October 2013 at 12:15.
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2013, 12:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Towing a Vintage Car: Precautions to be taken

Okay. The car seems to be in a good mechanical state. Is it running on a FIAT carburettor?
I hope not. Lovely period Jalwa horns.
Could you provide an answer to the following questions?
1] Is the engine unopened to date?

2] What is the tyre size for the Herald?

3] Has it been restored recently?

All in all, a very well finished car.: Tell you what, the car is in fine fettle. Drive her down from Bangalore to Alleppey. Trust me, you will not regret it!!

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th October 2013 at 17:08. Reason: Only two smileys per post please.
Old 19th October 2013, 12:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

With that kind of engine bay I think she is a runner . Tires go to the local market and you shall or should get a relevant size to replace and if not change the tubes at least . Little tread and no rain is fine to hold it together . How many Km do you want to go ?

Dont push the car but go with ease. Check electricals as in all fuses are OK carry a few more and all Oils for basic topu up . Hoses as Mole said and just Go is what I would really do

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisnutz View Post
Hi warwithwheels,

Here are more pics of the engine bay so that it can be judged clearly.

Attachment 1154321

Attachment 1154322

Attachment 1154323
Thats enough tread on the front right they are not Bald ...

Cheers

Quote:

But let me tell you , there's barely any thread left on the front right tyre. Please don't risk your life or the car by driving it down or towing it as a trailer.

If you are worried about the in transit damage while shipping it thru a container or flat bed, please take note that there's certainly a greater degree of risk in driving it down or towing it as a trailer.

Am not trying to discourage or undermine the capability of your machine or your driving abilities. This is only in the interest of your safety and the wellness of your machine.

Last edited by GTO : 19th October 2013 at 15:01. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 19th October 2013, 13:28   #21
BHPian

What is noticeable and a cause for concern, is the state of the brake fluid pipe emerging from the master cylinder. Corrosion on the pipe requires it to be changed and all pipe lines, brake and fuel be inspected and replaced if needed. Brakes should be inspected by opening the wheel drums and serviced if needed. If the car has not seen petrol in the tank for a long time, clean the tank or run fuel from a large plastic jerry can. flush the radiator and engine block, disconnect the fuel line at the carb inlet point, spray a carb cleaner through this, run the engine for a minute, pray to your God, fuel up and DRIVE.

There was a comment on bald tyres. Actually, tyres with no tread give you maximum contact and grip, ever noticed racing tyres??
Old 19th October 2013, 16:43   #22
BHPian

Quote:

Hi warwithwheels,

I was already planning on changing the tires.Looking for a white walled one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
With that kind of engine bay I think she is a runner . Tires go to the local market and you shall or should get a relevant size to replace and if not change the tubes at least . Little tread and no rain is fine to hold it together . How many Km do you want to go ?

Dont push the car but go with ease. Check electricals as in all fuses are OK carry a few more and all Oils for basic topu up . Hoses as Mole said and just Go is what I would really do

Cheers

Cheers
@ kasli,

I have to dirve 650km. And the tires are weak and I plan on changing them.Will be sure to carry the spares mentioned.Just heard it requires (Hold your breath) 5 liters of engine oil alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
What is noticeable and a cause for concern, is the state of the brake fluid pipe emerging from the master cylinder. Corrosion on the pipe requires it to be changed and all pipe lines, brake and fuel be inspected and replaced if needed. Brakes should be inspected by opening the wheel drums and serviced if needed. If the car has not seen petrol in the tank for a long time, clean the tank or run fuel from a large plastic jerry can. flush the radiator and engine block, disconnect the fuel line at the carb inlet point, spray a carb cleaner through this, run the engine for a minute, pray to your God, fuel up and DRIVE.

There was a comment on bald tyres. Actually, tyres with no tread give you maximum contact and grip, ever noticed racing tyres??
Hi Bulldogji,
Thank for the check list will surely go through it before taking the car.

By the way what if rains come and iam on this tyres. As you may have heard rains are too common in kerala .Hope the car does not leak

regards
Nutz
Old 19th October 2013, 16:47   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, tyres with no tread give you maximum contact and grip, ever noticed racing tyres??
Ever seen a race where halfway it started pouring and what happened to the guy who did not get his slicks replaced? He likely killed himself spinning out of control.

By the way, I have no idea how that is regulated in India. But in all other countries I have lived, by law, there is to be a certain minimum of thread. e.g. 1.6-2.0 mm

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2013, 17:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Please read this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisnutz
Hi warwithwheels,
I was already planning on changing the tires.Looking for a white walled one.
@ kasli,
I have to dirve 650km. And the tires are weak and I plan on changing them.
Here's an interesting thread for those who wanna take forward the bald tire discussion.

Few more relevant links:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ar-damage.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...yres-dont.html
Old 20th October 2013, 09:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Ever seen a race where halfway it started pouring and what happened to the guy who did not get his slicks replaced? He likely killed himself spinning out of control.

By the way, I have no idea how that is regulated in India. But in all other countries I have lived, by law, there is to be a certain minimum of thread. e.g. 1.6-2.0 mm

Jeroen
greater the contact greater the grip.

Having said that , Ido not expect the herald to speed and spin out of control.

sadly no laws exist in India on minimum tread and many people ignore tyre conditions till accidents, often fatal, happen.

what I stated was partly in jest.

tread apart, it is the age and condition of the tyres that need to be considered more than looking at the tread. A tyre may have sufficient tread but show side wall damage, common in India due to road conditions , dangerous to say the least.

How many people know that blowouts are often the result of under inflated tubeless tyres?

Iremember Mercedes recommending an over inflation of 8PSI in the sixties if driving on highways to prevent blowouts. This was usually stated on the small panel where tyre pressures were mentioned.

Conclusion? get the tyres inspected at a tyre shop, drive carefully if you must use them on your trip, change to fresh tyres with the correct rating for your car and driving style as soon as possible , and enjoy
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 10:36   #26
BANNED

I was thinking about the condition of the vehicle, had a look at the pic & wow .. the makeup is done properly & how !!

Have a closer look, its a perfect job as what they call " Lali Powder " Job . Just add some lipstick & some face powder & here she goes

Check the same pic, isnt the rusted clutch hydraulic pipe worry some ?? check the detailed paint job , they have just sprayed & cleaned it to " Look " nice

Money can not be saved just like that.

Towing a Vintage Car: Precautions to be taken-tz1668.jpg

A full ground up restoration is awaiting, tires is the last thing when everything is done

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 11:21   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Actually, tyres with no tread give you maximum contact and grip, ever noticed racing tyres??
Racing tyres are made of a different, special compound, so there is NO comparison just by dint of a bald pate! On top of that, racing tyres get grippier as they warm up, and not as good when cold, which is why the wheels are kept covered in the pit before start of race to prevent them from catching a cold!! And then they are warmed up more during the warm-up lap - drivers do the zig-zag driving we see also to create more friction that raises temperature of the tyres.

Quote:
Very true - the aquaplaners, etc. are brought in...

Quote:
Modern tyres have a Tread Wear Indicator (TWI) inside the groves - it's like a small patch of tread sunken deep into the groove from the top, and about 1-2 mm above the flat (I forget the exact number now, I think it's supposed to be 1/16th or 1/14th of an inch). Sometimes the TWI is also of a slightly different colour, from the main tread to help differentiate. When the tread wears down to the TWI level, it's time to change the rubbers, by safety madates. It's another matter though that the tyres still look sufficiently treaded, hence most of us Indians would hate spending yet!
Prabal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 11:36   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Modern tyres have a Tread Wear Indicator (TWI) inside the groves - it's like a small patch of tread sunken deep into the groove from the top, and about 1-2 mm above the flat (I forget the exact number now, I think it's supposed to be 1/16th or 1/14th of an inch). Sometimes the TWI is also of a slightly different colour, from the main tread to help differentiate. When the tread wears down to the TWI level, it's time to change the rubbers, by safety madates. It's another matter though that the tyres still look sufficiently treaded, hence most of us Indians would hate spending yet!

Yes, I'm familiar with TWI, interestingly enough most TWI will tell you to change the tyre, long before you hit the legal minimal thread. So even in Europe, where there is a legal minimum thread requirement just about everybody will change out their tyres before it gets to the legal minimum. Just because its legal, doesnt mean its really safe. 1.6mm of thread is not much, if you're driving in rain.

I certainly would never let my tyres get down to the legal minimum.
On a slightly different note: Old tyres, anything over 5-6 years, no matter what the thread is like are pretty lethal too. You can tell the manufacturing date from the codes on the tyres wall. So old tyres you really ought to change out, no matter how good they look.

Jeroen
Old 20th October 2013, 12:09   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

@meisnutz, ok here are finally the pics. of the flatbed I'd mentioned to you!
This is my friend and fellow tbhpian karl (karlosdeville)'s '65 Fiat 1100D that he'd bought from here and transported to Pune by a flatbed he rented from his friend.
Though it can be rather pricey, its still worth it as its quite efficient and more professionally executed as opposed to the conventional closed truck transportation ,though the truck has to be driven carefully without chances for a rollover!
Moreover, getting the car on and off the truck is also relatively hassle-free.

Towing a Vintage Car: Precautions to be taken-20130909-09.59.17.jpg

Towing a Vintage Car: Precautions to be taken-20130909-09.41.521.jpg

Towing a Vintage Car: Precautions to be taken-karl.jpg

Towing a Vintage Car: Precautions to be taken-20130909-09.59.08.jpg
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 13:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisnutz View Post

Hi zenren,
I recently read a car transporter falling off a cliff and the consignments being lost.The thread is provided by the administrator at the top. As the car is very dear to me and I cant get a replacement I dont want to risk the same.
Risks are present with any form of transportation. Trailer falling over a cliff and damaging the contents inside is certainly a much rarer occurrence/ lower probability than the accident risks from driving 600km on a highway.

If you are planning to drive/tow, do check the road condition from Bangalore to Alappuzha. From what I know, Palakkad to Thrissur is in pathetic condition and Thrissur to Alappuzha is very good, provided there are no water logging. Don't know about the condition of NH47 in TN side. Add to it the fact that it has started raining in Kerala which would make it difficult to know where the potholes are in the highway. Getting into potholes in highway even at 30-40km/hr might take a huge toll on the suspension of old vehicles, much more than when they are on flatbeds. Thanks to the twin tyres in the rear, flatbeds might not actually fall into a lot of smaller potholes that your car would get in.

Last edited by zenren : 20th October 2013 at 13:36.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks