Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2013, 18:11   #46
BHPian

Re: Towing a Vintage Car: Precautions to be taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
(BTW,what does this signify? Even Google has no answers other than throwing up t-bhp links)
Hi harit,

The way Indian Govt. manages to baffle even xperts

By the way ...guys even bigger problem. The car has a Delhi registration.The car was brought to TN about 18 years back without the regn. changed and then brought to Bglr where it currently is and still it has a Delhi regn. Now I know I have to get an NOC from Delhi to register the car in Alpy. Two qns:

1.Will they provide me with NOC after 18 years
2.Can I drive around with the same regn in Alpy?
Old 24th October 2013, 18:22   #47
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisnutz View Post

If the car is presented at the Delhi RTA and all taxes are paid and fitness passed they will issue a NOC

NOC is essential to transfer it to your name at your local RTA. I was allowed to retain a out of state number and still do but the car was transferred to my name at the local RTA. However, it won't be indefinite that one is allowed to retain a out of state number. I have a feeling the next time it goes in for fitness they will possibly demand a local state number allotment.
Old 24th October 2013, 19:07   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi harit,...guys even bigger problem. .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
If the car is presented at the Delhi RTA and all taxes are paid and fitness passed they will issue a NOC ........
You bet
It is extremely difficult to get an NOC from Delhi, particularly for an old number. Try to pay taxes in Alpy. Maybe talk to Ajay. Don't take your car all the way to Delhi only to find that the records are missing. Maybe you find a donor car and repair that with parts of your present car.

To get an NOC from Delhi, you must pay all taxes over there, and do the passing. Better you first find the status by asking someone to check with Delhi RTO. Send them a xerox of your book, do not send the original.

Cheers harit

BTW, what is a meisnutz?

Last edited by harit : 24th October 2013 at 19:09.
harit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 21:21   #49
BANNED

This is turning out to be an Awesome learning/reminding experience thread .

Its an example of how seemingly simple things can matter the most or even bite.

Now it has come to the paperwork part, someone just overlooked it & drove it for 16 years ? Must be some local heavyweight We lesser mortals loose our sleep for a smallest of issues.

Good lord, but I see some pleasant stream of valuable information from the BHP heavy weights, carry on, I mean the sorting out of issues

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 22:08   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, what is a meisnutz?
Going by his signature, it seems to be "me is nutz". Just a guess
zenren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 22:46   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Hi harit,

By the way ...guys even bigger problem. The car has a Delhi registration.The car was brought to TN about 18 years back without the regn. changed and then brought to Bglr where it currently is and still it has a Delhi regn. Now I know I have to get an NOC from Delhi to register the car in Alpy. Two qns:

I can check with the authorities here in Delhi. I will need a photocopy of the RC book. If you want me to check you may email the RC to - sbjatti@gmail.com
S.B.Jatti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 07:24   #52
BHPian

Quote:
You bet
Try to pay taxes in Alpy. Maybe talk to Ajay. Don't take your car all the way to Delhi only to find that the records are missing. Maybe you find a donor car and repair that with parts of your present car.

To get an NOC from Delhi, you must pay all taxes over there, and do the passing. Better you first find the status by asking someone to check with Delhi RTO. Send them a xerox of your book, do not send the original.

BTW, what is a meisnutz?
Hi Harit,
The life time tax at delhi has been paid for the car.
Did not understand the part with donor cars. dont say that I cant have the car
BTW it is as Zenren pointed out me is nutz. Just shortened Natarajan to Nutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Now it has come to the paperwork part, someone just overlooked it & drove it for 16 years ? Must be some local heavyweight
Good lord, but I see some pleasant stream of valuable information from the BHP heavy weights, carry on, I mean the sorting out of issues

Sudarshan
Hi sudarshan,
The car was my grand dads who was in TVM then my dads bro took care of it in Delhi and now it is coming to me.And at that time I dont think any one mattered to change the regn. No strict rules you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
I can check with the authorities here in Delhi. I will need a photocopy of the RC book. If you want me to check you may email the RC to - sbjatti@gmail.com
Hi S.B.Jatti,
I will mail you the copy of RC as soon as I get my hands on it.It is now in banglore with the car and Iam now in Alpy

Last edited by meisnutz : 25th October 2013 at 07:27.
meisnutz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 08:05   #53
Senior - BHPian

Hi meisnutz,

Is the car in your name now ?

If the car is not in your name , its better to get a consent letter from the current registered owner.

Last week I was caught by ootty police for driving my friend's Bolero with out my friend in it.

I was having all the relevant papers including the pollution but the registered owner was not in the car. I spoke to a constable which was very rude then to a polite sub-inspector. The sub inspector told me that there are many car lifting cases repotred, to clear the air I could have had a consent letter (letter/sale letter copy) so just to document it he asked me 300 INR fine . But I was able to bargain for 100 INR.
Old 25th October 2013, 08:19   #54
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Last week I was caught by ootty police for driving my friend's Bolero with out my friend in it.

I was having all the relevant papers including the pollution but the registered owner was not in the car. I spoke to a constable which was very rude then to a polite sub-inspector. The sub inspector told me that there are many car lifting cases repotred, to clear the air I could have had a consent letter (letter/sale letter copy) so just to document it he asked me 300 INR fine . But I was able to bargain for 100 INR.
Frankly the Cops conned you. As a tourist you have been taken for a ride. There is no such rule that you need to have a consent letter from the owner to drive his vehicle. What the Police try and check for is whether the car under private registration is being used for hire, which is a violation. You should have told the cops to go stuff themselves. Even if you do not have the documents, you can always produce it within reasonable period (I think, 15 days)

Please see this FAQ's from Bangalore Police
http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...id=140&btp=140

Quote:
If a motorist is stopped by a traffic policeman only for checking his documents, what step should he take?
As per an order given to all traffic policemen, they are not supposed to stop any motorist just for checking documents. The motorist has the right to refuse the officer's request. However, a motorist's documents can be checked if he has committed an offence. If a motorist has been stopped without reason, he can note down the name and rank of the police officer and lodge a complaint on the website or email us at addlcptrafficbcp@gmail.com . The complainant would be required to mention certain specific details, such as the place, time and name of the officer concerned, for us to take action. We do receive complaints of the kind from motorists, and we have taken action against guilty police officers - some of whom have even been suspended for violating the order. However, when motorists who have violated traffic rules are stopped, they should not argue with the officers concerned.[/FONT]
Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 08:20   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Hi meisnutz,

Is the car in your name now ?

If the car is not in your name , its better to get a consent letter from the current registered owner.

Hi foby.sebastian,

The car is not in my name now.
Ok I understand I have to start from the beginning here.
How do I get the car into my name ?

BTW ooty is the worst place of all if you get into cops esp. a place called ketti in Ooty.Man How much more corrupt can police officers be?Had a very bad experience there.
Also please confirm this the documents need to be produced within 15 days only I think there is some rule like that.

Last edited by meisnutz : 25th October 2013 at 08:22.
Old 25th October 2013, 09:40   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi foby.sebastian,

The car is not in my name now.
How do I get the car into my name ?

BTW ooty is the worst place of all if you get into cops esp. a place called ketti in Ooty.Man How much more corrupt can police officers be?Had a very bad experience there.
Also please confirm this the documents need to be produced within 15 days only I think there is some rule like that.
Sorry for going off topic , I was caught by early morning 2 and all what cops need is 300 bucks and it happend at Ketti it self.

If you have enough time and back up , try driving it by splitting your jounery in to 2 or three days , which will be a golden memory in life.

In 2007 , its my dad and brother encouraged me to drive till Velakanni and back to Thrissur in our 1968 model desilised(Matador) Amby Mark 2.

As few said earlier , it is a golden memory now.

It was a 5 day trip as the maximum speed attained was 60KMPH and we really enjoyed the drive.

We had guest houses for one of my relatives jewllery at Tanjavur and Trichy so we stayed there and the backup vehicle was also availiable.

We were 6 people in the Amby dad,Mom,Bro,sis,aunt and my self 3 in front and 3 in back.

We had 1 break down at Tanjavoor, I was driving at night and I didn't noticed the oil preassure went down. There was a leak on the oil hose and almost all the oil was spilled out. The car knocked suddenly and dead.

The worst thing happened, Engine was seized, but dad was able to bring the car back to action with in 2 days with the help of a local mechanic.

We reached back home on the fifth day. The rest is history for me.

It is the lesson learned from that drive giving me courage to drive Trivandrum-Thrissur(300KMS) on a weekly basis.

I had a mechanical basic camera at that time and have very few snaps
Attached Thumbnails
Towing a Vintage Car: Precautions to be taken-v3.jpg  

Towing a Vintage Car: Precautions to be taken-v2.jpg  

foby.sebastian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 13:35   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Harit, ..........Did not understand the part with donor cars. dont say that I cant have the carHi sudarshan,
How do I get the car into my name ?............
Hi Nutz,

Ofcourse you can have the car. A donor car is a car which will donate parts and all sorts of stuff to keep your car on the road. Hope this is now clear.

Do take up Mr. Jatti's offer to help, I can tell you that you need it.

To get the car into your name, you have to start from the beginning there in Delhi, not "here". Clear all documents, taxes etc in Delhi, get an NOC in your name, all transfer docs duly signed, and go to your RTO with the docs. Later they may ask to see the car.

Good Luck harit
Old 25th October 2013, 17:52   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi harit,

Does the car have a valid Fitness Certificate.?
if yes, you can drive the car with the DELHI number in Kerala.But sooner or later you will have to change the registration to Kerala.
For that you require an NOC from the the RTO where the car is currently registered. You will have to then physically present the car to the RTO/SRTO where you are located. They will then issue a new RC with a KL series number after checking the veracity of the documents you submit especially NOC.
Old 25th October 2013, 18:48   #59
BHPian

Quote:
If you have enough time and back up , try driving it by splitting your jounery in to 2 or three days , which will be a golden memory in life.

I had a mechanical basic camera at that time and have very few snaps
Hi sebastian,
Fabulous pics there. Love the car. BTW I dont think I want to risk driving it down and damaging its engine. From what I know the engine has not been opened till 2004. some where between the period 2004 -2009 restoration work was done but Iam not sure when and whether engine was opened.And after 2009 till now it is staying in the same place except for a few 100m rides in a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Does the car have a valid Fitness Certificate.?
if yes, you can drive the car with the DELHI number in Kerala.But sooner or later you will have to change the registration to Kerala.
For that you require an NOC from the the RTO where the car is currently registered. You will have to then physically present the car to the RTO/SRTO where you are located. They will then issue a new RC with a KL series number after checking the veracity of the documents you submit especially NOC.
I dont think after the car being out of Delhi for about 18 years has a fitness certificate.
I have learnt that a fitness certificte will be granted by an RTO only after testing the vehicle and that the RTO at the place where it is registered can only provide the fitness certificate.Correct me if iam wrong.
------

Saw the following in Delhi RTO website:
If a registered owner of a vehicle intends to take his vehicle to some other state & get the same re-registered there, can apply for NOC on prescribed form-28. The following are the required / formalities to be completed.
Application on form 28 (in Quadruplicate)
Attested copy of the registration certificate.
Evidence of payment of road tax up-to-date.
Or no road tax dues certificate from the tax-collection authority.
Valid PUC/ Valid Insurance.

What is a PUC mentionued in the last line?

Last edited by meisnutz : 25th October 2013 at 19:15.
Old 25th October 2013, 19:18   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont think after the car being out of Delhi for about 18 years has a fitness certificate.
I have learnt that a fitness certificte will be granted by an RTO only after testing the vehicle and that the RTO at the place where it is registered can only provide the fitness certificate.Correct me if iam wrong.
You are absolutely correct about that.Question is whether the Delhi RTO will issue an NOC without a fitness certificate? If not then you will have to get the car mechanically fit ,transport it to Delhi pay all the dues,get the FC done, and an NOC to Kerala, transport the car back to your place and get it reregistered here.
One option worth trying is to enquire whether the Delhi MVD guys will agree /accept to have the fitness done by the KERALA MVD?
I know the case of an Maruti 800 which was brought from Chandigarh to Kerala by a person who had worked there and on retirement came to Kerala. His car needed an NOC and since it was not feasible to transport the car up and down for an FC,he obtained an NOC from Chandigarh with the clause that the fitness will be done in Kerala.Of course he had to do a lot of paperwork to get it ready.

PUC-Pollution Under Control certificate

Last edited by ajay99 : 25th October 2013 at 19:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks