Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2007, 09:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Well, a friend of mine whom I asked today clarified that its not the same Jet airways pilot I mentioned.....
Uh, pardon my blatant ignorance guys, but what exactly are aeromodels?? Are they like model aircrafts....
Yes they are model aircraft, and the Sikh pilot in question has a large collection of them. He was featured on Discovery Travel & Living as well.
Old 30th May 2007, 13:47   #32
BHPian

At one time Mody compound had more than 130/140 bikes in all shapes and conditions thrown all over the place. There used to be a very rare JAP engine, AJS hand gear 1926 ( which belonged to his father ), Norton International .. yes an international with spares missing.
Old 29th June 2007, 17:25   #33

Treasure of inspiration

Quote:
I hap'd to meet this gent named Mr. Mody at the 26th jan vintage car/bike rally here & he gave me his address, introducing himself. He happens to be a professional restorer of all makes of 2-wheelers, particularly old ones...
I can see a making of a lovely customized vintage chopper. That is a treasure for customiztion not a Junk... A close experience to me that of a Triumph which I and a friend of mine spotted being carried on a hand cart on our way to Goa... Today its one of the finest bikes which looks as if it was customized back in the days... Great to see such treasures

Moderator's Note: Do not quote a 600 words+pics post as-it-is, particularly when your post is of 60 words. Use only the relevant part to quote.

Last edited by Zappo : 29th June 2007 at 17:56.
Old 13th February 2009, 13:42   #34
Senior - BHPian

Any number where I can see this collection in hyd

Thanks

Quote:
How familiar r u w/ hyd.? Or r u originally from hyd.?
If so, u'd be knowing this locality called Kalyanpuri/Prasanthi Nagar, wich is to the left on the Uppal road, opp. the Survey of India....tats hiw residence cum workshop......he says he had a huge workshop @ Mettuguda (Sec'bad road) tat he sold....do lemme know wen u'll be coming down to hyd. & then I cud take u down to his place....
Kyle, I'll pm u his no. wen my ph. is working (batteryz dead now! :().....
Old 13th February 2009, 14:01   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
ive been to his place to see his bikes...its an unbelieveble sight...especially the aeromodels with working jet engines hanging from every corner of the house! Also remember seeing assorted classic cars strewn around, including a studebaker and a flying standard 8...
The great father of this Pilot is no more....I think father was ex-IAF (Indian Air Force)
He has many small aircraft models and some cars and some monster bikes.
I got the grill shell made for my standard 8 using the one from his car.

regards
Old 13th February 2009, 14:05   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
girish,

Hi... What DKW is this?? Single cyl??? Was this used in world war II???
Are there any vintage bikes / cars in Mangalore?
Regards
Nigel
Nigel,

Sorry for the late reply...
Yes, this DKW is RT3, single cyl 98cc with hand gear, believed to be used in WWII.
There are couple of vintage cars and bikes in Mangalore, ...due to the coastal weather most of them worn or scrapped/sold.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...llections.html
regards

Last edited by girishpv : 13th February 2009 at 14:08.
Old 15th February 2009, 11:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

Guys.

Regarding Rashid Mody and Company, I am suprised none of this victims has expressed his opinion on this thread.

The bike with him are mostly with lenghty ownership disputes.

People would get taken by his charming manner and knowledge of bikes and would send in their bikes for restoration.

The bike would be promptly dis assembled and then the parts "misplaced". The restoration would go on for years but would never end. Finally the owner would get flustrated and leave the bike with Mody.

This is the story of most of his bikes.

I used to visit him when I was running my restoraition business out of a friends house in Marredpally.

You could buy bikes from the Mody's but the paperwork would never be perfect. In fact some people would buy a bike from him and later his brother would arrive with the police and say the bike was his and the other brother stole it and sold it hense you would have to return it but would be stalled forever in recovering your money.

My advice is to be very carefull when dealing with the Mody's. I am sure a lot of people would back me up on this.
Old 18th February 2009, 17:43   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
At one time Mody compound had more than 130/140 bikes in all shapes and conditions thrown all over the place. There used to be a very rare JAP engine, AJS hand gear 1926 ( which belonged to his father ), Norton International .. yes an international with spares missing.
I've been reading through all the threads and I came across yours about the 1927 "all junk and no steel"AJS.

I had a 27+/- AJS in my university days that was in pieces, put it together but didn't have the contacts or resources to do some mechanical work. It was a 500 cc, gearshift on the tanks and an oil pump through the flat gas tank that ran between the two horizontal tube frame. I think I bought it for about $50. Does this ring a bell?

I just loved to sit on it and crank it over, didn't fire up, but I still feel the sound! Lost my photos of it and would like to find something close as I have been trying to complete a list of all the 50 or so cars and bikes that have passed my way over the last 55 years.

When doing the intro, it was a kick-start to try and document my long, long sweet journey.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks