Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2007, 17:32   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
i remember my first visit to chor bazaar when they were chopping a desoto 1947, i actually had tears in my eyes.
My first visit was over a year ago, and I was greeted by a nice Morris Minor Tiger being broken. Sigh.
Old 26th August 2007, 12:58   #17
BHPian

The other (better) Minerva ......

and a local Riley

Old 26th August 2007, 15:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

vintageman both pictures are of the minerva. is this the original pictures of the car from the maharaja of mahmudabad's stable and with a collector in delhi now.
Old 26th August 2007, 20:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

[quote=vintageman;540242]Thanks iraghava , I am also from the western part of UP , Mainpuri to be exact , sourced a Morris Minor ( now in Delhi ) for an Uncle and a Model A for a friend who to my sorrow sold it for a whopping profit - from Mainpuri.

You from Mainpuri, Oye we come from Farrukhabad! We used to have an oil mill at Mainpuri in the old old days!
Old 26th August 2007, 23:08   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
vintageman both pictures are of the minerva. is this the original pictures of the car from the maharaja of mahmudabad's stable and with a collector in delhi now.
no, this is the benaras minerva,an earlier six cyl. the mahmudabad minerva is a later type AL with an eight cyl. engine, i had a chance to buy it in the early nineties, and quite cheaply too by todays standard,but i didnt have the know how or the guts to tackle the sleeve valve engine then... it needed major mechanical work.wish i could turn back the clock.

by the way, any idea what happened to the gorakhpur minerva and riley? the ones missing their radiators and engine heads....
Old 27th August 2007, 00:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

Man i would love to see it get restored..i havent seen this before..the only rileys i have seen are Riley sprite and Riley RMA's
Old 27th August 2007, 00:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
no, this is the benaras minerva,an earlier six cyl. the mahmudabad minerva is a later type AL with an eight cyl. engine, i had a chance to buy it in the early nineties, and quite cheaply too by todays standard,but i didnt have the know how or the guts to tackle the sleeve valve engine then... it needed major mechanical work.wish i could turn back the clock.

by the way, any idea what happened to the gorakhpur minerva and riley? the ones missing their radiators and engine heads....
thanks for the information awini. i wish you could turn back the clock and you would have bought it, done the body and interiors then and tackled the engine now. it is a magnificiant car, what happened to it, would like to know more.
mr bhogilal has a minerva will check which one is it maybe it is this one or the gorakhpur one. i did not know about the gorakhpur haveing a minerva
Old 27th August 2007, 12:39   #23
BHPian

vintageman truly deserves to be a "Distinguished" member of the forum.
Old 27th August 2007, 19:03   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp 1 View Post
vintageman truly deserves to be a "Distinguished" member of the forum.
Hey Scorp ,

Thanks a lot for the vote pal , but , I am still new to the forum and I will be off in a few days , I think GTO & team bhp moderators have got it just right when they framed the policies , one has to persevere and then reach the next level , its perfect the way it is . As for me I am happy to be here as a Newbie.
Old 27th August 2007, 20:23   #25
BHPian

I am still struggling to come to terms with the procedure for attaching photos , here is the Riley ( not for sale )

As regards the Isotta , as I said Speedy - just a rumour in town , that the car was given on a lease and was being asked back , have no idea how and where this rumour originated.

As regards the Gorakhpur Minerva ( missing the Grill , Head Lights & Radiator ) it was a 1926 model with sankey wheels , the Riley was a 1935 convertible , the cars were with the Subzposh family , they were disposed off in the mid nineties .

At the same time the following cars were also removed from Lucknow :

1904 Daimler ( Chain Drive )
1909 T Model
1910 Studebaker

My information is that Mr. Ravikumar from Bangalore took the cars ( maybe wrong )

By the way the Humbrette ( supposedly the oldest car in the country ??) is also an ex UP car.

There was another Minerva and 2 Rolls in Gorakhpur , the Rolls are long gone as the family owning them were well known , I am still trying to discover what happened to this Minerva .

Maybe , just maybe ..........
Old 28th August 2007, 01:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

dont worry vintageman, there were also rumours of the maharaja of mysore's family was also buying back cars once owned by their family.
Mr R avi Kumar does own these cars as far as my knowledge goes i remember my brother mentioning it once.
i had heard that there is a car older then the humbrette in india but i have never seen it. that too could be a rumours.
i think the two rolls and the minerva have found space in the collection of Mr bhogilal, if i am not mistaken the cars dissapeared from there in the 80's. had asked my father and he thinks they are the same cars.
Old 28th August 2007, 01:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
At the same time the following cars were also removed from Lucknow :

1904 Daimler ( Chain Drive )
1909 T Model
1910 Studebaker
were these the tirwa cars? is their rolls still there?
Old 28th August 2007, 10:59   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
By the way the Humbrette ( supposedly the oldest car in the country ??) is also an ex UP car.

Its perhaps the oldest car in running condition, though Patiala 0 and another one on display in some college (A DeDion I think) do predate it.
Old 28th August 2007, 11:25   #29
BHPian

As far as I am remember, the Humberette which now belongs to Mr. Sudhir Chowdhrie was sold to him by Mr. Kamal Karim (from Bareilly). It was initially restored at Mr. R.N. Seth's residence in Delhi by a british fellow - Julian, who did many other intersting cars during his intermittent stays at Delhi

Also the Patiala 0, is also now probably parked at Mr. Chowdhrie stables.

I remember seeing the Minerva and Riley at the Subzposh garages in Gorakhpur in late eighties. The also had the large Serpent Horn, taken off from the Minerva, displayed on the mantle piece in their drawing room. Wonder if it is still there? The cars are surely not there anymore - maybe moved on to Bangalore.

The Daimler, etc are probably the Tirwa cars as mentioned by Awini. The Daimler (in a dismantled state ??), I had heard, the previous Raja Sahab wanted to gift it to the Vintage Car Club of India (Delhi) - he was also a long time committee member of the club, but for some reason it didnt happen. And the Rolls if I am not wrong was a wedding gift from his father in law. It was still there till a couple of years ago.
Old 28th August 2007, 13:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhan_kidwai View Post
I remember seeing the Minerva and Riley at the Subzposh garages in Gorakhpur in late eighties. The also had the large Serpent Horn, taken off from the Minerva, displayed on the mantle piece in their drawing room. Wonder if it is still there? The cars are surely not there anymore - maybe moved on to Bangalore.
then my feeling was right the minerva is with Mr Bhogilal as his minerva does have a serpent horn. so there we have where this minerva has gone and i think the riley is also with him.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks