Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2013, 12:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: A modified vintage car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This would be a fun car created for the owner. The grill is definitely not of an Austin 7, those grills were much smaller. He may have used the outline. Wonder what engine is inside.
Original to the car may be the bumpers, chassis we cannot see.
Hindustan Times has mixed up, the Rytecraft is that red car posted alongside in that t-bhp link.
Q-Marie is a creation for racing, and now a historic vehicle.

Its worth mentioning that the government with inflexible rules has completely killed the customising hobby, so hardly a noteworthy industry has developed. Time for a review, with rules framed by those with knowledge and experience.

Cheers harit
Harit, I assume you would have an idea. In the early '60s there used to be a car in the shape of a Toothpaste tube, as a promotion for Binaca and its colours, it was imported from Italy. I have sat in it, as the swiss national who was using it was Ciba's advertising chief, and was on our board. Any idea where it is, or junked?
Old 22nd March 2013, 12:45   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Harit, I assume you would have an idea. In the early '60s there used to be a car in the shape of a Toothpaste tube, as a promotion for Binaca and its colours, it was imported from Italy. I have sat in it, as the swiss national who was using it was Ciba's advertising chief, and was on our board. Any idea where it is, or junked?
Yes, and whatever happened to Binaca, and Erasmic?
I have seen these cars, my understanding was that they were built on Herald chassis. The front show at the radiator was in the shape of a toothpaste tube cap. No idea what became of them. They were greenish - bluish in colour.
And do you remember Erasmic? They supplied 2 Beetles and 2 Fiats, probably 124's, but maybe even 125's for that Hell drivers show at the old NSCI Vallabhai Patel stadium. At that time lots of collectable cars were thrashed. The Beetles and Fiats were used to drive around on 2 wheels, with co-driver climbing out and standing on the side, or take skidding "U"-turns. And the collectables were jumped and crahsed and burnt

Do you remeber this? About 1973.

Cheers harit
Old 22nd March 2013, 13:12   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
The car (or cars) were made by coachbuilder Boneschi, and at least one is around (assuming more were made).

http://www.wheelsofitaly.com/wiki/in...title=Boneschi

A modified vintage car?-1953_fiat_boneschi_1100_cabrio_prototype_1.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 14:20   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The car (or cars) were made by coachbuilder Boneschi, and at least one is around (assuming more were made).

http://www.wheelsofitaly.com/wiki/in...title=Boneschi

Attachment 1064580
Karl, Hats off to You Man!!!
Yes this is the car I have sat in!! I was right it was made in Italy!
Is it around? I know it didnt go back, and was here for a good 8/9 years.
Old 22nd March 2013, 16:31   #35

Modifications to run a classic or vintage car in today's conditions is something we do plenty of. There are vintage cars out there with power steering, alternators, extra fants etc and as long as the parts are removable to allow originality when required, it's a pragamatic thing to do.

However, hot rodding is a whole different ball park. Really a matter of taste.
Old 23rd March 2013, 00:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

Let me clarify...

This is the Qmarri

A modified vintage car?-photo0078.jpg
A modified vintage car?-photo0079.jpg

This is the Rytecraft

A modified vintage car?-photo0077.jpg

This is the Austin (grille confirmed from the owner) modification with the A35 engine.

A modified vintage car?-photo0076.jpg

All these are owned and moded/repainted by my friend.
Old 27th September 2013, 15:59   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this interesting amalgamation elsewhere on the forum, thought it could find a mention here too.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post3243151

Don't miss the Fiat wagon too, later in the thread.
Old 6th January 2015, 17:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

Re: Classics available for purchase

I am not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, I have seen few Chevy muscle cars being used to ferry the groom before the day of marriage, do these cars have original V8 engines or do they replace it? I am sure that those cars wont be having proper papers so could anything be done to rescue these beauties?
Old 6th January 2015, 18:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
I am not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, I have seen few Chevy muscle cars being used to ferry the groom before the day of marriage, do these cars have original V8 engines or do they replace it? I am sure that those cars wont be having proper papers so could anything be done to rescue these beauties?
These cars were twisted, mangled, and chopped in such a manner, that every bit of life was taken out from them.

They never had the original V8's. Actually speaking, they would've had straight sixes, originally. Well, almost all of them.

These baraat creatures- They had either an inline four, think the Matador engine aka the Mercedes Benz OM616 or, sometimes, a six cylinder Perkins lifted off a truck. Diesels, obviously.

These engines never fitted properly. Chassis & subframes were sometimes cut to accomodate them. The bride & groom should be visible- right? During the most awaited (!)ceremony of their lives, right?

Hey presto! The roof was also cut off.

Obviously, these cars were already quite old + rough useage. This resulted in one thing- Extreme abuse. Suspensions collapsed, brakes never worked, and never did the lights either.

Tell me, do you see remote financial/nostalgic sense in restoring one of these? Anyway, they are now gone. Contessa's have taken their place. Whew!

A modified vintage car?-baraat-car.jpg

A modified vintage car?-gja-7347-bombay-films.jpg

Some of these are also used in the films. Buggered up. Sad. That Dodge is an excuse of a car. Sadly, has what looks like an original registration. When I compare these to.........Sniff! You know......

Credits to the pics- Stanher & Kasli.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 6th January 2015 at 18:10.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 18:23   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Obviously, these cars were already quite old + rough useage. This resulted in one thing- Extreme abuse. Suspensions collapsed, brakes never worked, and never did the lights either.

Tell me, do you see remote financial/nostalgic sense in restoring one of these? Anyway, they are now gone. Contessa's have taken their place. Whew!

Attachment 1324796

Attachment 1324797

Some of these are also used in the films. Buggered up. Sad. That Dodge is an excuse of a car. Sadly, has what looks like an original registration. When I compare these to.........Sniff! You know......

Credits to the pics- Stanher & Kasli.
Glad someone answered a question which I had in mind for a very long time! but I feel bad that anything old is always discarded as junk in India, but looks like things are changing slightly, hope to see classic car scene in India to gain popularity, youngsters like me should get a chance to taste these classics!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks