Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2008, 21:38   #16
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This is the Buick Super 8 that has had a very, very long innings with Shammi Kapoor!!

Attachment 34230
Does he still have the car? My father recalls how Shammi would lay on the back seat with his feet across over the side of the car as he'd be driven around Bombay. That was typical Shammi Kapoor style!

Last edited by DKG : 1st August 2008 at 21:41.
Old 1st August 2008, 22:32   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Does he still have the car? My father recalls how Shammi would lay on the back seat with his feet across over the side of the car as he'd be driven around Bombay. That was typical Shammi Kapoor style!
Yes DKG he still owns BMU 3009, his first love as per his website!
Old 4th August 2008, 01:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
if i recall right you can see a vintage car in the basement parking from the road when you cross his building on malabar hill. it must be the buick.
Old 15th August 2008, 05:16   #19
BHPian

Just as this section is so dead recently..... This Buick eight 90 series is in a Delhi collection. I rebuilt the engine in 1987.... relined, re-metalled crank and main bearings, new valves etc. new clutch linings, (very unusual double set up 2 driven plates with double liners, 1 moves forward and 1 moves backwards) and a whole new exhaust system. I fabricated all the water manifolds as the original steel ones were all completely rusted through. Not my main interest but lovely garden setting.... Apologies in advance the HT lead conduit was missing and also for what some will call bragging but it was real and happened over 6-7 months, not just a plug change and a paint job. Ask the owner.....
As it is now:
Buick Eight-buick-90.jpg
As it was when I did the engine etc
Buick Eight-buick-90-series.jpg

Buick Eight-buick-90-series-1.jpg
Photo 1 courtesy of the owner of the car
Photos 2 & 3 from me at the time
Julian UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2008, 10:05   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Just as this section is so dead recently. This Buick eight 90 series is in a Delhi collection.
Here is another similar car in a Pune collection. If I remember right, Titus also has a similar car, now silver.
Attached Thumbnails
Buick Eight-buick01.jpg  

Buick Eight-buick02.jpg  

Buick Eight-buick03.jpg  

Old 16th August 2008, 12:07   #21
BHPian

Smashing. Remind me of the Mafia wagons of the era. Boy, would I love to own one, though a small voice inside keeps prompting 'one of those hybrid dragsters with an ancient body and adrenaline soul'.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th August 2008 at 20:02.
Old 16th August 2008, 15:33   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

More from Harit and his dashing 39 Buick, amongst my favorite years for Buick.

Quote:
Referring to the Buick 8 thread, one question came to my mind. When were these called Buick ' 8' ? The thread started with 1947 models, where Buick 8 is mentioned on the grill but most of these cars were Supers with a few Roadmasters having come to India. Incidently, these Buick 8 Supers were largely imported into India as partial CKD's and then assembled in India. But there are also Buick's pre 1947 which were Eights, but I am not so sure if the Buick pictures put up by Julian and you are termed Buick 8. Sure, they had an 8 cylinder engine, but the number 8 was probably put up only 1937 onwards, I am not sure about 1936. These earlier Buick's were called Century, Limited, Roadmaster etc. or had a series number like Series 90 for the Limo's pictured. I am attaching a pic of my 1939 series 90, Buick 8 Limited which should have all these nomenclatures. There is a monogram "Eight" on the front above the grill and limited should be written on the chrome strips on each side of the bonnet. Mine has only one as one strip was made. In my 1937 Roadmaster the figure 8 on a round monogram was placed on the grill with Roadmaster written on the side of the bonnet. On my 1933 Limo no mention of "8" is to be seen though the engine is 8 cylinder. Even in 1931 which is my oldest Buick there is no mention of "8", though it also has 8 cylinders.
The car pictured by Julian must at one time have been a Royal car because it has the dark "Purdah" glasses. Surprisingly, Buick 7 seater Limos are not so rare in India, a number are to be found in India in various collections, all between 1933 to 1940 with 1934 and 1938 being the most seen. I do not know of any pre 1933 Limo in India, but they may be there with someone.
Incidently, my 1939 Limo took more than 10 years to restore as the mechanic who started the restoration left midway and then there were setbacks in getting parts. Most trims and accessories are available from Bob's Memobilia in USA but his catalogue specifically states that hubcaps for my car were not available. We got them from Chor Bazar, 3 good caps and one damaged which we repaired. Talking of coincidences, you could start a new thread on coincidences, I have many tales.
Attached Thumbnails
Buick Eight-buick02.jpg  

Buick Eight-buick15.jpg  

Last edited by karlosdeville : 16th August 2008 at 15:35.
Old 16th August 2008, 16:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
if i recall right you can see a vintage car in the basement parking from the road when you cross his building on malabar hill. it must be the buick.
The building has a basement?? Never seen it.

The buick from Parsi Colony was an excellent car when bought originally some years ago. The car was a metallic maroon and was very very close to mint condition.
The car without being driven was sent for restoration (as some new owners are advised) and that was the downfall of the car.
I remember seeing the gleaming chrome parts and the interior was fantastic. It had the original wool headliner also.
This car has seen many garages good and bad but has only got worse ever since.
Old 18th September 2008, 15:27   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO spotted this 1949 Buick Super Eight the other day, ripping about in rush hour traffic.

Buick Eight-01.jpg
Buick Eight-02.jpg
Buick Eight-03.jpg

She also made it to a Pune event earlier this year as part of a prominent collector's entries.

Buick Eight-buick01.jpg

Also present at that event and again at this month's rally was this similar car of the Vakil collection in a unique two tone blue.
Attached Thumbnails
Buick Eight-buick0.jpg  

Buick Eight-buick03.jpg  

Last edited by karlosdeville : 18th September 2008 at 15:35.
Old 29th September 2008, 15:23   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
GTO spotted this 1949 Buick Super Eight the other day, ripping about in rush hour traffic.
Coincidentally he also spotted another Buick from the same owner the other day, a lovely 37 Roadmaster Series 80 cabrio. Im told the owner drives one car to work everyday from his fleet, and they are regularly spotted outside his office in South Bombay.

Buick Eight-9.jpg
Buick Eight-8.jpg
Buick Eight-7.jpg

Here she is at a 2007 rally

Buick Eight-buick02.jpg
Old 30th October 2008, 02:19   #26
BHPian

2 more photos of the same Buick 90 as in post #19 taken during the shooting of the Gandhi film in 1980 along with the Ariel 350 driven in the film by the provider of all these photos Andrew Blake. During the film you can hear the Ariel's big end knocking as it was completely worn out. New original bearings available from Kashmiri Gate motor market at the time.

Buick Eight-buick-90-gandhi.jpg

Buick Eight-buick-90-ariel-350-gandhi-film.jpg

Last edited by Julian UK : 30th October 2008 at 02:21.
Old 30th October 2008, 10:54   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
2 more photos of the same Buick 90 as in post #19 taken during the shooting of the Gandhi film in 1980 along with the Ariel 350 driven in the film by the provider of all these photos Andrew Blake.
These are indeed spectacular photos, thanks very much Julian and Andrew. Do keep them coming.
Old 8th January 2009, 11:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Day before yesterday i and my friend when looking for a contessa(if anybody knows about one please pm me) and we found a Buick eight standing in the market

i when for a closer look and i was like the car is totally ruined and it has a tata 407 engine

here are the pics
btw its a single owner car
Attached Thumbnails
Buick Eight-dsc00547.jpg  

Buick Eight-dsc00548.jpg  

Buick Eight-dsc00549.jpg  

Buick Eight-dsc00550.jpg  

Buick Eight-dsc00551.jpg  

Old 8th January 2009, 11:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Day before yesterday i and my friend when looking for a contessa(if anybody knows about one please pm me) and we found a Buick eight standing in the market

i when for a closer look and i was like the car is totally ruined and it has a tata 407 engine

here are the pics
btw its a single owner car
Ouch!! You bet that this car is ruined. But reverting back to the original engine is an option if the owner has the original engine. Sourcing one is very difficult, these engines, once plentiful have now become rare. Interior dash is also bad, and a lot of detailing will have to be done. I know of three such Buicks which were dieselised and their owners are on the lookout for engines
Old 8th January 2009, 12:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Ouch!! You bet that this car is ruined. But reverting back to the original engine is an option if the owner has the original engine. Sourcing one is very difficult, these engines, once plentiful have now become rare. Interior dash is also bad, and a lot of detailing will have to be done. I know of three such Buicks which were dieselised and their owners are on the lookout for engines
i asked him the same if he has the original engine and he said no but he said he had the original transmission

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks