Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2009, 18:00   #1
BHPian

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations

I just returned from the Rajiv Auto Centre where Sanjay Ghosh, the proprietor, was preparing the family stable of very fine cars, impeccably restored and maintained and a 30s Riley that is be ready by Saturday. It should be noted that he restored the 1930 Lancia that won a trophy at The Cartier Car Show.

They are into the final hours preparing for this weekends Statesman Concours and Rally, a truly great celebration of the automotive history in India.

America's largest Vintage and Classic Car mag, "Hemmings Motor News". published an article of mine which can be seen by googling "hemmings motor news calcutta concours" The same article but with photos of Jaguars was published in the Jaguar Clubs of North America, JCNA JOURNAL.

I will post photos of the event.

Info on the photos.
1. 1947 Buick Super 8.
2. 1932 Ford V8 that Sanjay's Grand Father had purchased new. He just redid the leather interior.
3. 1947 Chevrolet Fleetmaster, Mrs Ghosh's pride and joy.
4. 1950 Cadillac with a 48 Cadillac in the background under restoration.
5/6. 1937 Riley being finished off for the Rally, about 36 hours away.
7. My 1962 Fiat 1100 deluxe that Sanjay did up for me.
8. 1930 */- Buick 29-49 that was shipped in from Bombay for restoration.

The Statesman Concours and Rally both here and in New Delhi Feb. 8th are great events and not to be missed.

I hope these photos are up loaded.
Attached Thumbnails
Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-img_4445.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-img_4456.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-img_4458.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-img_4435.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-img_4436.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-img_4446.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-img_4447.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 29th January 2009, 18:11   #2
BANNED

HI
I have been attending the Statesman Vintage and Classic Car Rally since i was 5.I love vintage cars and absolutely adore them.I am trying to establish a Vintage and Classic car business in India.As you know that India does not allow the import or export of Vintage cars,therefore I am trying to look for people who have a collection abroad and are based in India. So i was wondering If you could help me.
my email som.sunil@yahoo.com
Old 29th January 2009, 20:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

some cars from the last year's rally.

since they were rally cars i'm not blutrring the plates.
Attached Thumbnails
Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-1938-cadillac-1.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-1948-austin-a40-devon.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-1951-fiat-500c-topolino-cabriolet.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-1968-dodge-dart.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-1972-mgb-roadster-1.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-austin-super-seven.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-cadillac-deville.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-chevrolet-fleetmaster.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-ford-fairlane-500-gt-1.jpg  

Last edited by amit V8 : 29th January 2009 at 20:50.
Old 29th January 2009, 22:23   #4
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
I just returned from the Rajiv Auto Centre where Sanjay Ghosh, the proprietor, was preparing the family stable of very fine cars, impeccably restored and maintained
Thanks John for the lovely treat. Those are lovely cars indeed. The Buick if without grill shutters would be a 1929. What a gorgeous car.

There had been some discussion about the Lancia's military wheels. Perhaps you could persuade Mr. Ghosh to share more info on how the Lancia acquired its steel rims and other interesting details. I'm sure there are interesting stories behind each of the cars you shared pictures of.

Although your Jag is not in the country do please post its pictures with more info on your experiences.

Thanks for sharing
Old 29th January 2009, 22:31   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Good news. One of the most awaited rallies by the vintage and classic car and bike lovers all over India.The Statesman pioneered such rallies in India for the nation to sit up and take notice. Its a credit to this news and media group which though not exactly in the pink of its financial health is going ahead undeterred, organising such historic events year after year without fail. The Statesman- may it grow and grow.
Old 29th January 2009, 22:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

It's incredible but true that Sanjayda still has the original bill for the Ford well preserved and equally valued as the car itself. I think he is one of the longest uninterrupted trophy winners in the best maintained car category in the rally.
@ John - If possible please post a few pictures from the stable of Partha Sadhan Bose. I am sure you know him.
Old 29th January 2009, 23:51   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
@ John - If possible please post a few pictures from the stable of Partha Sadhan Bose. I am sure you know him.
There you go, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...n-kolkata.html
Old 30th January 2009, 08:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Thanks John for the lovely treat. Those are lovely cars indeed. The Buick if without grill shutters would be a 1929. What a gorgeous car.

There had been some discussion about the Lancia's military wheels. Perhaps you could persuade Mr. Ghosh to share more info on how the Lancia acquired its steel rims and other interesting details. I'm sure there are interesting stories behind each of the cars you shared pictures of.

Although your Jag is not in the country do please post its pictures with more info on your experiences.

Thanks for sharing

Love to share all this "eye candy" Here's a few more photos of my visit.

RE the Buick: The condition is such at this point it is hard to determine the correct age. Once things slow down Sanjay is going to locate the serial # located on the front left side of the frame. the Buick club of America have a resource library that hopefully can provide more light on the car. A similar Buick was at the 08 Delhi Statesman Rally. I have photos of most of the cars
and made a DVD movie of the event. All my photos were high resolution and
hard to post. I am trying to figure how reduce them and be able to post.

RE the Lancia: Sanjay had done up another Lancia three years ago which came with the same wheels. his comment to me was that the original wire wheels were not that suitable for the rough country roads and that these wheels were an option that was available. Would suggest you contact his son Billy, who handles all the high tech stuff. "rajivautocentre@yahoo.co.in"

RE the my MK11 -340: Have some great shots but not sure if I can post them, I wiil try.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-img_4438.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-img_4440.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-img_4442.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-img_4452.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-img_4450.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-img_4453.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-img_4454.jpg  

Old 30th January 2009, 08:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
It's incredible but true that Sanjayda still has the original bill for the Ford well preserved and equally valued as the car itself. I think he is one of the longest uninterrupted trophy winners in the best maintained car category in the rally.
I know Partha quite well and he has indeed a great collection! I've was able to source out some items for his Pontiac convertible a few years ago.
My favorite is his Auburn that was a basket case but nothing like his MG - TC that a junk yard would have turned away. I have a number of photos of his cars and if we are lucky they can be up-loaded If not I will take some low res photos this week-end.

My photos failed to up-loadhttp://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/Frustration.gif
Cheers
Old 30th January 2009, 09:16   #10
BHPian

1968 Jaguar Mk2 -340 Sedan

Purchased 30 years ago from the original owner, a librarian no less, with only 34,000 miles on it. It now shows 57,000.

In 2002 we competed in the Jaguar Clubs of North American's NA Concours Championship placing 4th with 99.54 pts. in Class 9 for MK 2 that had been ground up restored and some trailered to the event. In Preservation Class 18
open to any Jag 20 years or older we placed 2 nd. with 99.78 pts.

We drove from Toronto to Pittsburgh, 275 m, Cleveland, 250 m, and Columbus 290 m the day before and then very very bright and early prepped the car for judging. At the Columbus Show it was a part of a week-end CAR Festival with over 2000 cars of all types, sizes and ages. These Americas are indeed "CAR CRAZY PEOPLE"

We have a Brit Day in Toronto that sees 1000+ cars each year. Now that I am part of the TEAM I look forwarding to post you all from Toronto.

IT UP-LOADED !!!!! WILL SEND A FEW OTHER SHOTS SHORTLY.
Attached Thumbnails
Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-2.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-3.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-6.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-10.jpg  

Old 30th January 2009, 10:53   #11
BHPian

1968 Jaguar Mk2 -340 Sedan - More Photos

Hi Again! So nice to be able to share some of my photos.

The people in the photo, are L-R, my twin brother Jim, myself and a friend.
She was selling her house and as it was being featured in the Toronto Star real-estate section, we brought it over to "fluff up the exterior shots.
The Star photographer was using a very nice Nikon with a super wide angle lens. A GREAT SHOT OF OUR "PUSSEY CAT" Sorry it was hi-res, will try and repost.

I will try and post the 30 Buick I saw at the Delhi Statesman.

Cheers once again.

Does any one else have a wife that says that you spend too much time on that ###### thing!???
Attached Thumbnails
Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-8.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-4.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-11.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-9.jpg  

Old 30th January 2009, 11:12   #12
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Wow what a machine and so beautifully maintained. Love the way you have kept the engine so clean.

If there is a vintage car that I would love to use as a daily driver its the Mk II Jag. Perfect size and oh so stylish. You have a gem John. Thanks for sharing

BTW John is that an automatic you have?

The blue 120 is gorgeous, a Calcutta car?

Ritayan, Mr. Bose's cars are the ones you sent me pictures off?

Last edited by DKG : 30th January 2009 at 11:13.
Old 30th January 2009, 16:23   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Wow what a machine and so beautifully maintained. Love the way you have kept the engine so clean.

If there is a vintage car that I would love to use as a daily driver its the Mk II Jag. Perfect size and oh so stylish. You have a gem John. Thanks for sharing

-Will have to check on which photos I might have sent you of Partho's cars.
-The XK-120 belongs to Sanjay and is being finished up. The color is green.

-Our car is an automatic, lots of Grace, less Pace, however on an early morning run on our 401 to a city 200 miles away I let the reins out and was very comfortably driving slightly over 120 mph without being on the floor. I must have driven 30-40 miles, ever on the lookout for "Smokey the Bear" with his radar gun. and then backed off to about 80.

-SOME MORE BACK GROUND ON THE 340S
First off, my wife Jharna, has been as much an enthusiast as I !!!
Two years after we had purchased it and had started competing as well as driving it, we became a little tired of having to re-detail it. I saw another 340, identical to ours except 4 on the floor. Sooooooooo we sold our Toyota Celica and pppurchased it, "One for Show & One for Go". We sold the stick shift about 2 years later to make room for a big Chev station wagon. I did miss the stick shift as it was an entirely different pussy cat! IT HAD TEETH!

The 340 Model ended up the production run of the MK2 series,
The 67/68 240 & 340 were entry level models with vinyl "Amblia" uphostry that has stood the test of time, no back seat trays, the quality of burl varied and no driving lights. They could be special ordered. Most of the 340s were export models going to Canada.

Production of the MK2's various models was over 90,000 units, the 340 series of which about 3000 were built, only 535 were l.h.d cars making it the rarest of the entire series. A nice change was using the slim line bumpers from the 3.8s.

Ours being one of the last built they started using other parts, such as the high compression heads off of the XK Series, The normal looped wool carpets with piping were changed from #468 on-wards with the use of die cut carpeting material, developed for the new XJ-6 yet to be introduced. I found this all out as a result of Judges questioning these items as "original" and was able to clarify these and other points through the Daimler-Jaguar Trust in England.

In competing for a N.A. Trophy the score sheets are 3 pages, marking is out of 1000 pts. and then brought down to 100. Unbelievably detailed, I don't think another club is comparable. For example in the engine compartment, if the hose clips are not original 1 pt is deducted up to a max of about 3 or 4 pts. Every year we find about 10 100 pt cars.

Growing concern that cars were being restored to higher standards than those coming out of the factory lead to establishing PRESERVATION CLASS #18, now #19, open to any Jaguar over 20 years old, thereby encouraging collectors to value originality and appreciate the patina of life.

Our car is the only one to be competitive competitively in both classes to date. We can't take much credit other than being in the right place at the right time, and having the foresight, and my wife encouragement, to dip into our savings to purchase it, and then to fastidiously look after it and enjoy it for 30 years.

WOULD SUGGEST YOU CHECK OUT "JCNA" ON GOOGLE, ITS AN AWSOME SITE AND NOW BEING AN INDIA COMPANY !!!!!!

My hat goes off to those collectors who breath life into cars on their way to the junk yard.

Following are photos of the 30 Buick I saw at the Delhi Statesman and one of most favorite photos taken at a works out side of Delhi,
Attached Thumbnails
Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-25.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-252.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-dump-feb-18-132.jpg  

Kolkata Statesman Rally 09 - Preparations-img_3385.jpg  

Last edited by john a milne : 30th January 2009 at 16:27. Reason: some typos
Old 30th January 2009, 16:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:

-The XK-120 belongs to Sanjay and is being finished up. The color is green.

-Our car is an automatic, lots of Grace, less Pace, however on an early morning run on our 401 to a city 200 miles away I let the reins out and was very comfortably driving slightly over 120 mph without being on the floor. I must have driven 30-40 miles, ever on the lookout for "Smokey the Bear" with his radar gun. and then backed off to about 80.

-SOME MORE BACK GROUND ON THE 340S
First off, my wife Jharna, has been as much an enthusiast as I !!!
Two years after we had purchased it and had started competing as well as driving it, we became a little tired of having to re-detail it. I saw another 340, identical to ours except 4 on the floor. Sooooooooo we sold our Toyota Celica and pppurchased it, "One for Show & One for Go". We sold the stick shift about 2 years later to make room for a big Chev station wagon. I did miss the stick shift as it was an entirely different pussy cat! IT HAD TEETH!

The 340 Model ended up the production run of the MK2 series,
The 67/68 240 & 340 were entry level models with vinyl "Amblia" uphostry that has stood the test of time, no back seat trays, the quality of burl varied and no driving lights. They could be special ordered. Most of the 340s were export models going to Canada.

Production of the MK2's various models was over 90,000 units, the 340 series of which about 3000 were built, only 535 were l.h.d cars making it the rarest of the entire series. A nice change was using the slim line bumpers from the 3.8s.

Ours being one of the last built they started using other parts, such as the high compression heads off of the XK Series, The normal looped wool carpets with piping were changed from #468 on-wards with the use of die cut carpeting material, developed for the new XJ-6 yet to be introduced. I found this all out as a result of Judges questioning these items as "original" and was able to clarify these and other points through the Daimler-Jaguar Trust in England.

In competing for a N.A. Trophy the score sheets are 3 pages, marking is out of 1000 pts. and then brought down to 100. Unbelievably detailed, I don't think another club is comparable. For example in the engine compartment, if the hose clips are not original 1 pt is deducted up to a max of about 3 or 4 pts. Every year we find about 10 100 pt cars.

Growing concern that cars were being restored to higher standards than those coming out of the factory lead to establishing PRESERVATION CLASS #18, now #19, open to any Jaguar over 20 years old, thereby encouraging collectors to value originality and appreciate the patina of life.

Our car is the only one to be competitive competitively in both classes to date. We can't take much credit other than being in the right place at the right time, and having the foresight, and my wife encouragement, to dip into our savings to purchase it, and then to fastidiously look after it and enjoy it for 30 years.

WOULD SUGGEST YOU CHECK OUT "JCNA" ON GOOGLE, ITS AN AWSOME SITE AND NOW BEING AN INDIA COMPANY !!!!!!

My hat goes off to those collectors who breath life into cars on their way to the junk yard.

Following are photos of the 30 Buick I saw at the Delhi Statesman and one of most favorite photos taken at a works out side of Delhi,
Old 30th January 2009, 16:41   #15
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritayan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
I was referring to Ritayan who had sent me some pictures earlier

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks