Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2009, 16:13   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
hi these are the pics during my visit in jan 09,its a heaven!!!!!
Thats it only two pictures come on please post more.
Old 23rd November 2009, 22:32   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
I THINK YOU NEED TO RELOOK AT THE LIST AGAIN AND ARE YOU SURE OF THE LIST ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Sorry for asking, but April Fool in November?
This list and the numbers are grossly exaggggggggggerated!!!!!!!!!!!
What is Dudge? Buick Legal? Did you mean Regal? Yet that is also not there.
Please try to be more acurate when you post.

Cheers harit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
He He.. Buick Legal probably refers to the owner's profession.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911987 View Post
Probably will get my head bitten off for butting in, but gentleman, why has everyone gone for Anmol89 as though he has committed a major crime? The possibility exists that he has not seen the entire collection of Mr. Titus and has reproduced a list given to him( he mentions photos of all cars are available) so give him the opportunity to post the photos and then take him apart. As for typos, most of us would be guilty of those from time to time.
The only reason I write this is because many a novice in the vintage world, like myself, would hesitate to post whatever info they had in the face of such reactions, whether accurate or inaccurate ,and we would all miss out on potentially interesting posts in the bargain.Totally respect the cumulative knowledge and acumen of the worthy critics above but in the face of their scorn and ridicule, I for one would not risk posting stuff I am not 100 percent sure of, which could then be corrected,expanded and embellished upon by the cognoscenti to good effect ,for all concerned.
Aplologies for the unsolicited advice in advance, but this is my two cents worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi 911987,
I appreciate your point and would agree to almost all what you say, with a small exception.
I too do not like to scorn and ridicule anyone, but there are limits to what one posts and we keep quiet. The collection he talks about is a compact collection, where did 200 cars come from? And the cars he mentions, can you show us even one Franklin in India? And he mentions three! And there are numerous more such examples like the Edsel.
The whole point is that we try, as far as possible give accurate information to the best of our knowledge. And when something comes up, we try to do some very basic research. And if we think that we know better, we discuss. And we do point out errors to some members who post with some overenthusiasm. But this is a case of outright fantasy. The list is concocted, and so we reacted by poking some fun.
Agree that we all have typos, but here so many names are wrongly put, so there is a basic doubt from where this info has come to him. And if he had made an effort and checked his facts a wee little bit, he would have found his own answers. There are no muscle cars in that collection, anyone in Delhi would have told him that.
Basically none of us is so arrogant to scare someone away, we also started as novices at sometime and were shrugged off, but atleast we did not create fiction. That is the basic difference and a reason for the reaction.
I am against biting anyones head off, we are just having a dialogue. And the last sentence in the 2nd para says a lot, that is what we can wholeheartedly agree with!

Cheers harit
Quote:
@Harit, appreciate your detailed reply.Obviously, you and the others speak from a position of knowledge on the above mentioned collection.Accept the possibility that the original post under discussion may be based more on enthusiasm than accurate information.Many years ago I used to wander around in search of vintage cars,more for the satisfaction of finding them, than for the pleasure of acquiring them.In that search, sometimes the unlikeliest of persons would mention something about a car lying somewhere which once in a very long while would result in a find(this was many years ago when quite a few orphan cars were still to be seen just lying around).It was to encourage this free flow of info that I suggested a little latitude be given to possibly/probably inaccurate posts in the hope that one day we could all benefit, even from someone's flight of fantasy, take a clue from it, realising our own fantasy in the process. In the final analysis, isnt that what our common passion is all about, to dream the impossible dream, a la Don Quixote?
Good luck and Godspeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
I too agree with what Harit says. Enthusiasm is no excuse for creating a fictitious collection of cars, on a site whose members strive hard to provide accurate and factual information. Newbies are always welcome, nobody has a problem with them. But when they post photos that are obviously from another country, and try to pass them off as a Chattarpur collection, how does it make other members feel? "Cheated" and "Insulted" are two words that come to mind. If Anmol has factual information and photos to share, he is welcome to put them up, no one will bother him.
Quote:
Gentlemen, I seem to be in a minority of one, as all of you seem to have access to information on the post/poster under discussion, which I am not privy to.
In the circumstances I wil gracefully withdraw, hoping that a couple of points I tried to make on the importance of tolerating enthusiastic, if ignorant enthusiasts, at least up to the point where it is fair to assume they are posting in good faith( and not with a view to impress with baseless information).
This policy ,I feel for whatever it's worth, will yield valuable data which may otherwise not surface,to all of us, maybe rarely, but when it comes, it will be worth waiting for.Speaking for myself, I would not be overly critical of early posts by newbies, for the reason outlined above but as I said earlier everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
It's true some members were quick to pounce on the OP, perhaps with unfair alacrity, but I'm sure you'll agree this kind of info has absolutely no relevance in a thread titled Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars. Maybe this latter point should have been stressed instead of the stale news / mistakes / exaggeration accusations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Hey let's wrap this up here and now guys..
None of us meant any offence to Anmol, and if it did appear so, I'll say sorry . This is harmless jibing which goes on, and is taken for granted among friends. And in tbhp I believe we're all friends with some liberties taken for granted.
911987, you're very right in all the points you've made, and it's heartening to see a tbhpian stand up for another (unknown) tbhpian. This spirit is part of the same friendly nature of this forum, which may also permit us to take an ocassional liberty with a fellow tbhpian !!
I myself have been made fun of, on the odd occasion !!
Let's leave this alone, let's shake hands with Anmol and get on with the business of enjoying classic cars.
Anmol, keep up the good work buddy, you're as wanted on this thread as is any one of us .
And 911987, I wish I too had friends like you !!
Diljeet Titus is the founder member of the Heritage Motoring Club of India(HMCI) and all these cars collectively belong to him and other members like S.B Jatti and Jasbir Singh Sohi of this club. Present in heritage and classic cars museum in Jaunapur near Chattarpur, Mehrauli, called Pro Bono Publico. I would also like to clarify that all these cars are not in running condition and are just restorations, as u may notice in the few pictures attached that the cars are placed on stands. This list was provided to me by a member of the club and is authentic.

@Harit, thank you for your support.

Note from Mods : Posting photos with false details to mislead members is considered a serious offence here. You have not clarified in over a week and therefore received an infraction for this.
Attached Thumbnails
Visit- Pro bono publico- pics and report-065_1960.jpg  

Visit- Pro bono publico- pics and report-124_1976.jpg  

Visit- Pro bono publico- pics and report-140_1965.jpg  

Visit- Pro bono publico- pics and report-144_1974.jpg  

Visit- Pro bono publico- pics and report-145_1935.jpg  

Visit- Pro bono publico- pics and report-187_1965.jpg  

Visit- Pro bono publico- pics and report-197_1902.jpg  

Visit- Pro bono publico- pics and report-198_1958.jpg  

Visit- Pro bono publico- pics and report-199_1908.jpg  

Visit- Pro bono publico- pics and report-201_1925.jpg  

Visit- Pro bono publico- pics and report-202_1926.jpg  

Visit- Pro bono publico- pics and report-999_j2.jpg  

Visit- Pro bono publico- pics and report-999_j3.jpg  

Visit- Pro bono publico- pics and report-999_j5.jpg  

Visit- Pro bono publico- pics and report-999_j7.jpg  

Visit- Pro bono publico- pics and report-999_j8.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd December 2009 at 20:46.
Anmol89 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th November 2009, 10:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

H Anmol.

Nice pics do put up more if you have them. How many cars are actually there to be seen ?

What is that red two door sedan with the wire wheels next to the white Mustang.

Also is that Auburn Speedster the real thing or is it a replica.

What year is that Pierce Arrow from.

Wasif
Old 24th November 2009, 10:59   #34
BHPian

@Anmol89,would love to see pics of more of the cars which are in the background in several of the photos.Do oblige.
Good luck.
Old 24th November 2009, 11:19   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anmol89 View Post
Diljeet Titus is the founder member of the Heritage Motoring Club of India(HMCI) and all these cars collectively belong to him and other members like S.B Jatti and Jasbir Singh Sohi of this club. Present in heritage and classic cars museum in Jaunapur near Chattarpur, Mehrauli, called Pro Bono Publico. I would also like to clarify that all these cars are not in running condition and are just restorations, as u may notice in the few pictures attached that the cars are placed on stands. This list was provided to me by a member of the club and is authentic.

Hi Anmol. I do not understand the last line.
But, the cars pictured by you are not those belonging to Titus, nor is this shed in Mehrauli. If you see the pictures posted by Inderpalgill, that place is different. I even know who designed the shed in Mehrauli, the shed you show is somewhere else. To take an educated guess, I would say this is in the warehouse of some dealer/collector/auctionhouse abroad.
When you enlarge the picture with the red Mustang, you will see a foreign number plate on the grey car, probably American.
This reminds me of the 300 Gullwing story by Insiderman.
Anmol89, I do not know where you have got this information, maybe your source is playing a prank on you.
The Auburn in 'his' collection is yellow and still being put together, 'his' Rolls is a sedan ex Baroda, ex Mumtaz, 'his' Pierce is a 7 seater Limo.
And a BUS??? and that too with semi-flat tyres? None of his cars in the hall ever have tyres with low pressure. Tyres are just too expensive in India!
Nice try by whoever!!!

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 24th November 2009 at 11:21.
Old 24th November 2009, 18:10   #36
BHPian

Quote:

This is definately not DT's museum. Appears some place away from India. There are more than a dozen cars in the pictures you have sent which are not to be seen at DT's museum. It is nice prank but you should have played the same with someone who has never been to Probono...on this forum there would be alteast dozen folks who have been there and I have been there thrice now....so exactly know how the place looks like and have a complete inventory of all the vehicles out there.
Old 24th November 2009, 23:16   #37
BHPian

Quote:

I have visited Pro Bono Publico about fifty times and I can vouch that none of the cars posted by you belong to the museum. I would also like to clarify that all the cars at the museum belong to Mr.Diljeet Titus, and none of the cars belong to me or any other member of HMCI as claimed by you.
Old 25th November 2009, 13:17   #38
BHPian

Gentlemen,must admit that in this case at least, my faith in basic human honesty, was misplaced. In the circumstances just hope that the poster was misled by some mischief maker and not flying this kite on his own.
Saw what Harit has mentioned in his post,in re the apparently American number plates on not one but several of the cars and therefore had requested photos of cars in the background in my previous post, but after the justifiably scathing fore-going posts I dont think we will see any more in this series.
Why?!!!
Old 25th November 2009, 14:00   #39
BHPian

Gents, to make amends for my earlier naivety, did a bit of sleuthing. Visit Hemmings Auto blogs,in search option kindly type "American cars coming home from Japan",at the bottom of the page you will find a link captioned "Good destiny continues trying!American cars coming home from Japan".
Sadly, unless the cars are coming back from Japan via India, I think this can conclude our review of the alleged DT collection.
P.S.In case anyone is interested in following my line of pursuit just type in the words pierce arrow rolls 1908 Hupmobile mercedes mustang collection in your google browser and it will lead to the same page.
By the way another line of investigation which, in hindsight, would work , is if you notice one of the modern white cars in the pics has Japanese characters on the side like taxi number designation, so, if you type "american muscle japan 1908 hupmobile" your first hit is the Hemmings blog.
Dont you just love the WWW?
Old 25th November 2009, 14:21   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gentlemen,must admit that in this case at least, my faith in basic human honesty, was misplaced. In the circumstances just hope that the poster was misled by some mischief maker and not flying this kite on his own.
Saw what Harit has mentioned in his post,in re the apparently American number plates on not one but several of the cars and therefore had requested photos of cars in the background in my previous post, but after the justifiably scathing fore-going posts I dont think we will see any more in this series.
Why?!!!
Quote:
Gents, to make amends for my earlier naivety, did a bit of sleuthing. Visit Hemmings Auto blogs,in search option kindly type "American cars coming home from Japan",at the bottom of the page you will find a link captioned "Good destiny continues trying!American cars coming home from Japan".
Sadly, unless the cars are coming back from Japan via India, I think this can conclude our review of the alleged DT collection.
P.S.In case anyone is interested in following my line of pursuit just type in the words pierce arrow rolls 1908 Hupmobile mercedes mustang collection in your google browser and it will lead to the same page.
By the way another line of investigation which, in hindsight, would work , is if you notice one of the modern white cars in the pics has Japanese characters on the side like taxi number designation, so, if you type "american muscle japan 1908 hupmobile" your first hit is the Hemmings blog.
Dont you just love the WWW?
Hi! No need to make amends. These things happen, never take too seriously and move on. Remember, most of us are enthusiasts who just try to keep the facts straight. Please do continue to visit and contribute. You must be having old photos, some info etc.
BTW, does your uncle live near your Mumbai place, an old gent with beard permanently carrying a swiss army knife and other tools? Lets meet him when you are here.

Cheers harit
Old 25th November 2009, 14:29   #41
BHPian

@Harit,sadly never carried a camera in those days, today the handy mobile serves the same purpose.Never wrote stuff down either so my info is limited by my memory.
Right about the uncle, will see what I can do about picking his brain together.
Bye.
Old 25th November 2009, 19:13   #42
BHPian

@911987 Hi! Looks like your investigation on the net paid off!
I was really curious to find out where all this(long and elaborate lists, American Number plates, etc) was going! Now we can finally put to rest all claims made by Anmol89! Looks like someone was pulling a fast one on him or rather, he was trying to pull a fast one on old-time BHPians!
Here's a link directly to the webpage for everyone else to view:

Hemmings Auto Blogs Blog Archive Good destiny introduces trying! American cars coming home from Japan

Anyway good work 911987!
Cheers!
Old 25th November 2009, 20:34   #43
BHPian

Thanks sir, but you know what, wish the whole story had been true and we could have had at least visual access to cars like the ones in the collection that was supposed to be in India,but wasnt!
Anyway, we live and learn.
Old 25th November 2009, 20:50   #44
BHPian

That's a very good way of looking at it! You seem to be a very positive person form what I gather after reading all your posts! The thing is that "it was too good to be true!"
Any way like you say, we live and learn!
Regards,
Souvik!
Old 26th November 2009, 10:00   #45
Senior - BHPian

And the best part is the guy couldn't even copy and paste the provided list as is instead typed it in and we had the "Buick Legal" and the "Auburn Portal"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks