Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2010, 17:37   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

An early 30s regal looking sedan can be found here, possibly belonging to the Tagore family at one point. It is on display at the Rabindranath University.

Humbers in India-4467479367_a46e73dfdb.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1817150-post53.html
Old 2nd April 2010, 22:34   #47
Senior - BHPian

humber in Delhi & Mumbai

Spotted these humbers
Attached Thumbnails
Humbers in India-dscn0080.jpg  

Humbers in India-06022010160.jpg  

Old 3rd April 2010, 10:09   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Spotted these humbers
I've seen the silver car in a rally in Bombay, 2007. It had black fenders then.

Humbers in India-humber01.jpg

Humbers in India-humber02.jpg

The older car I have seen in Delhi, looks great, needs a more period colour though.
Old 3rd April 2010, 10:48   #49
Senior - BHPian

@Kasli, the first pic in all silver looks very elegant

The black and silver sort of looses the charm, IMO only
Old 3rd April 2010, 13:01   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is another similar very original car in long term ownership, though now not used much.

Humbers in India-01.jpg
Old 4th April 2010, 20:09   #51
BHPian

[quote=karlosdeville;1817317]An early 30s regal looking sedan can be found here, possibly belonging to the Tagore family at one point. It is on display at the Rabindranath University.

This car indeed belonged to Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore, a great grand uncle of mine. I have seen the car in the Vishva Bharati University campus museum, in Santiniketan, where a lot of the poet's and his immediate family's artifacts are on display. The first time I visited this town, I was told that there is an old car in the museum and so I went to see the place not to see his Nobel medallion (as most people do) but to see the car. The car is intact and looks to be untouched and quite original, though sadly they have no plans to give it a sympathetic restoration, which I think they should. It's a long big car, though I was quite surprised that the family bought a Humber; from what I've heard back in the 1920s, our family usually went for more high-end cars.

Harit, do you think that our Rolls Royce could have been WGF 8387? Same period as the Humber I think.

Prithvi Nath Tagore

Last edited by mbz180 : 4th April 2010 at 20:12.
Old 4th April 2010, 20:50   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post

Harit, do you think that our Rolls Royce could have been WGF 8387? Same period as the Humber I think.

Prithvi Nath Tagore
WG series was the asansol series. Could you find out if possible wheather the car was registered their or another thing could be and that is did you'll have any property of yours their ? That could be another way of getting to know. Another thing is where is the ancestoral property located where the car is in front of in the picture put up by you?
Old 5th April 2010, 01:33   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
WG series was the asansol series. Could you find out if possible wheather the car was registered their or another thing could be and that is did you'll have any property of yours their ? That could be another way of getting to know. Another thing is where is the ancestoral property located where the car is in front of in the picture put up by you?

Are you sure it's Asansol? My 1939 Austin 8 tourer was also WGK and I don't think it was ever in Asansol. I may be wrong though. The photo of the Rolls with the house at the back? That house is in Alambazar, just next to the Bally Bridge, and also next to Dakhineswar Temple. Rabindranath's side of the family may have had property in Asansol, since the family seemed to have land all over the place. Or maybe the car was gifted to him by a follower; remember, he was already quite old by the time this car was produced. None of his direct descendants survive, so I think the best place to find out more about the car would be from the curators of the museum itself.

Regards
Prithvi
Old 5th April 2010, 01:40   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Are you sure it's Asansol? My 1939 Austin 8 tourer was also WGK and I don't think it was ever in Asansol. I may be wrong though. The photo of the Rolls with the house at the back? That house is in Alambazar, just next to the Bally Bridge, and also next to Dakhineswar Temple.

Regards
Prithvi

I am quite sure of this. Well most of us know about the Asansol Rolls Royce that was at the Delhi rally this year. That car has a WG number on it. You could also ask more people about this.

Apart from that if you want to know the number of the car then we could do one thing and that is to go to that place and go to the motor vehicles office there and find out the series that was running at that time. We only need the initials. We have the last four digits of the car. So if we find out which year the picture was taken and when the car was bought and find out at motor vehicles about the running series at that point of time. If more than one then we just look at the series with our last four digits. We would have to go through old records and then once found you can get the other details which you are looking for.

This is going to be a difficult task but at the end of it, it will be worth every bit of it. You could also find out where the motor vehicles office is in that area.
Old 16th June 2010, 18:14   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
An early 30s regal looking sedan can be found here, possibly belonging to the Tagore family at one point. It is on display at the Rabindranath University.
Here is another photo of the same car, probably at the same place going by the background colour of the windows.
This photo appeared in a magazine called Kolkata on Wheels.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Humbers in India-magazine-17.jpg  

Old 17th June 2010, 14:16   #56
BHPian

Bangalore Humber

Here are some pictures of the Humber Super Snipe from Bangalore which participated in a recent rally,
Attached Thumbnails
Humbers in India-photo0329.jpg  

Humbers in India-photo0330.jpg  

Humbers in India-photo0331.jpg  

Humbers in India-photo0332.jpg  

Humbers in India-photo0333.jpg  

Old 13th July 2010, 23:52   #57
BHPian

A very very beautiful Humber from the early 1929's (pardon me if i am wrong) took part in the last Mumbai vintage rally held in April 2010. Found these pictures from my archive to add to this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Humbers in India-img_0202.jpg  

Humbers in India-img_0204.jpg  

Humbers in India-img_0207.jpg  

Old 13th July 2010, 23:58   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by konjaril View Post
A very very beautiful Humber from the early 1929's (pardon me if i am wrong) took part in the last Mumbai vintage rally held in April 2010. Found these pictures from my archive to add to this thread.
This is Vijay Mallya's 1903 Humbrette, one of the oldest cars in India in regular use and registered with the help of VCCCI

Picture was taken at the venue for judging, did you go there? And take a car there?

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 14th July 2010 at 00:00.
Old 14th July 2010, 00:25   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is Vijay Mallya's 1903 Humbrette, one of the oldest cars in India in regular use and registered with the help of VCCCI

Picture was taken at the venue for judging, did you go there? And take a car there?

Cheers harit
Oh sorry for the wrong info on the date, Anyways i was there for both the days, i didn't get any vintage .I had a visit to the rally from my office.

Last edited by konjaril : 14th July 2010 at 00:29.
Old 14th July 2010, 01:29   #60
BHPian

Had clicked these pictures last November in an auto show held at palace grounds ( bangalore). After coming across this thread I dug into the computer hoping to find atleast one pic of a Humber and I did.
Edit : Looks like it is the same car posted by srisa.
Attached Thumbnails
Humbers in India-3h.jpg  

Humbers in India-3.jpg  

Humbers in India-1.jpg  

Last edited by prguru : 14th July 2010 at 01:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks