Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2009, 16:48   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Covering a car with a totally waterproof cover is not harmful at all. Only during the dry spells take it off,let the car body get some natural sunny spells (akin to westeners taking to sun tanning )open the doors or the window glasses to let the dampened interiors get some respite.
Guys, believe me, from experience do not cover a car, sheltered, unsheltered, particularly where there is high humidity. Many years ago I got my dads 1964 Opel done up, it was a daily use car, so not restored but done up. So the paint was fresh. I told the garage owner to deliver the car with a cover. We had a serious argument and thankfully he did not provide a cover for the car. It lasted about 7 years in open parking, then the paint became dull, scratched with use. But the car did not ROT.
There is a Beetle convertible which is lying with nup in Bombay. This was kept covered in a stilt garage for about 3 years. The rot set in so deep, one just cannot reach all the corners. Anyone can check with him.

Another thing, when you buy a car like a Maruti Van, it is advisable to get Dinitrol treatment done immediately. It may not be required for higher end cars. We have had a couple of Vans, they required tin work within 3 years. The present van required only after 6 years.

About the chrome on Amby/Fiat etc spares made in India, well the rust comes when you buy new. The chrome work is inferior, when you buy a part it already has pinholes. So the rust forms which you can be cleaned off. But it will reappear, again and again. Once I had put new bumpers on my Amby, they rusted very fast. We went to the shopkeeper, he polished off the rust and tolds us that we were mad. There was no problem according to him. Well, it lasted for about 5 years and then they were thrown away.
Frankly, there is no solution but to keep cars aired and ventilated and ofcourse dry.

Last edited by harit : 13th July 2009 at 16:57.
Old 13th July 2009, 20:10   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Yes, I'll definitely put the brown anti rust asap on the chromed parts. Breaks my heart to see her outdoors like this, but can't be helped - my own fault I guess, for not mobilizing a garage somewhere in time.. I'll be better prepared next monsoon.

I just ordered two cans of Wurth's Grease spray, its easy to apply and works pretty much like the convetional brown grease that you apply as anti rust-only this one is white and looks a lot more pleasing. It is available for about RS 850/- and can be easily sprayed on in all vulnerable areas like wheel wells etc. Lets hope it works.
Old 13th July 2009, 22:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
I just ordered two cans of Wurth's Grease spray, its easy to apply and works pretty much like the convetional brown grease that you apply as anti rust-only this one is white and looks a lot more pleasing. It is available for about RS 850/- and can be easily sprayed on in all vulnerable areas like wheel wells etc. Lets hope it works.
I'll come and take a look one of these days . I'll need some of that stuff too.. I'll need anything.. just about ANYTHING that helps keep my car in shape... sniff !

Last edited by SuperSelect : 13th July 2009 at 22:24.
Old 13th July 2009, 22:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'll come and take a look one of these days . I'll need some of that stuff too.. I'll need anything.. just about ANYTHING that helps keep my car in shape... sniff !
Anytume! Just give me a call, I will hopefully be spraying the thing on tomorrow.
Old 14th July 2009, 17:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

Speaking of covers, can anybody from Pune tell me where I can buy a good waterproof cover at a reasonable price? I bought 2 covers recently (silver parachute material, as it is called) and the material of both leaks water! Had to return them both.

I believe you get Maruti branded covers too. Anybody has any idea if they are better than the locally made ones? They better be better, as they sure are pricier.

Quote:
Grease in rains? You sure will get a load of gunk to stick to that on our slushy roads!!
Old 14th July 2009, 18:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Grease in rains? You sure will get a load of gunk to stick to that on our slushy roads!!
Well we only take our cars out after the rains., after washing the grease off throughly with a kereosene /diesel mixture. You dont have to worry though in Pune you guys are snug and safe with the beautiful dry weather. I dont have to do all this for my cars parked in pune.
Old 17th July 2009, 17:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

Found some rust on the Yamaha headlight. Used the powder to remove it off.

Before:
Name:  rust.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  95.8 KB

After:
Monsoon Do's and Dont's For Your Old Car-norust.jpg
Old 9th June 2010, 19:54   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

As monsoon is fast setting in, I felt the discussions can be revived again for the sake of our car's GOOD HEALTH!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Guys, believe me, from experience do not cover a car, sheltered, unsheltered, particularly where there is high humidity. Many years ago I got my dads 1964 Opel done up, it was a daily use car, so not restored but done up. So the paint was fresh. I told the garage owner to deliver the car with a cover. We had a serious argument and thankfully he did not provide a cover for the car. It lasted about 7 years in open parking, then the paint became dull, scratched with use. But the car did not ROT.
There is a Beetle convertible which is lying with nup in Bombay. This was kept covered in a stilt garage for about 3 years. The rot set in so deep, one just cannot reach all the corners. Anyone can check with him.

Another thing, when you buy a car like a Maruti Van, it is advisable to get Dinitrol treatment done immediately. It may not be required for higher end cars. We have had a couple of Vans, they required tin work within 3 years. The present van required only after 6 years.

About the chrome on Amby/Fiat etc spares made in India, well the rust comes when you buy new. The chrome work is inferior, when you buy a part it already has pinholes. So the rust forms which you can be cleaned off. But it will reappear, again and again. Once I had put new bumpers on my Amby, they rusted very fast. We went to the shopkeeper, he polished off the rust and tolds us that we were mad. There was no problem according to him. Well, it lasted for about 5 years and then they were thrown away.
Frankly, there is no solution but to keep cars aired and ventilated and ofcourse dry.
Thanks harit for your observations from personal experiences. But would however suggest from my personal experience that in drier mainland areas, the water-proof car cover can be liberally used to seal off your car from the ravaging monsoon.The only precaution one takes is that during the drier spells of sunlight, the car cover is taken off and the car allowed to dry in the sunlight. This must be done once every 3/4 days.I have been doing it for my car since 2003!The picture is proof enough of any rusting signs which are totally negative.
Monsoon Do's and Dont's For Your Old Car-landmaster-4.jpg
But I would stand by what harit has to say for friends staying in coastal areas and also in the Himalayan terrain (including the foothills) which are extremely moist and humid during monsoons.
Old 9th June 2010, 23:35   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Quote:
I'll come and take a look one of these days . I'll need some of that stuff too..
I know I'm replying to very late post but nevertheless a relevant one! Amol, I would like to try this stuff too, willing to pay courier charges (although if its aerosol spray type, may not be possible to bring via courier)
Do let me know the availability.
Old 10th June 2010, 08:30   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I know I'm replying to very late post but nevertheless a relevant one! Amol, I would like to try this stuff too, willing to pay courier charges (although if its aerosol spray type, may not be possible to bring via courier)
Do let me know the availability.
Go to any Bajaj Dealership and get the Chain lubricant spray for rs 300 . And if they cannot give they will atleast tell you where to buy.
Old 10th June 2010, 10:24   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Go to any Bajaj Dealership and get the Chain lubricant spray for rs 300 . And if they cannot give they will atleast tell you where to buy.
Thanks manish. But I'm more keen to try this Wurth spray that amol was talking about. We all want quality toys to play with!
Old 13th August 2011, 18:12   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Monsoon Do's and Dont's For Your Old Car

The 3M underbody coat is a good friend of our old cars.I saw one being used by Shyam Stahner and feel its a good product that can be used liberally with results.
Shyam, by the way how much time does it take to dry after application?

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 13th August 2011 at 18:14.
Old 13th August 2011, 20:27   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The 3M underbody coat is a good friend of our old cars.I saw one being used by Shyam Stahner and feel its a good product that can be used liberally with results.
Shyam, by the way how much time does it take to dry after application?
Coincidentally I just visited this thread thinking of posting about it here!
Actually I decided to go for it on seeing the results from manish and pavan kadam. And also because a local Wurth dealer I know has not had stock of the 'stone chip protector' underbody spray since the last 3-4 months now!

Posted pics. of it done on my car today:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ml#post2467229

Reg. time, I'm afraid it was already applied before I reached there but they said they did it this morning at around 9am, and when I reached at 12pm, it was already dry nearly completely. So 2-3 hours should be the time taken to dry?

Last edited by Stanher : 13th August 2011 at 20:29.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2011, 09:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

When we are talking of out these products. I wanted to add some more clarity as some do not know the proper usage.

There are two kind of products

1.) rust remover / neturalizer.

2.) rust preventer.

And then there are few products which have both capabilities Like Rust Bullet.

The 3M Underseal and other common available products are Rust preventer. The chemical composition looks like of that of "Pitch" or TAR / Bitumen. Most commonly used in road building and has water repultion properties.

However there is a catch. The surface should be perfectly clean (i.e. sans of rust, dirt and grime) else the coating will not adhere. Even on my car I have a doubt on the coating lasting longer, as the surface preperation was not followed up to "T".

And this is the reason many people complain of peeling of the coating and blaming the product labeling as ineffective.

I hope people understand the use before commenting.

And for my further rust treatment I am using a product Rust Bullet or similar, for obvious reason.
Old 14th August 2011, 09:45   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
And for my further rust treatment I am using a product Rust Bullet or similar, for obvious reason.
Is this also from 3M? 'will see if it is available here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks