Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2010, 21:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad

Here are pictures of some of the cars from the collection of Capt Pestonjee of Hyderabad.

This collection is unique as it was built up right before my eyes over a very short period. Cars were sourced from all over India and usually purchased in lots of eight to ten at a time.

Most of the cars were purchased unrestored and a quality restoration was performed on them by a dedicated team working exclusively on his cars.

He has an extensive collectiom now with a good sprinkling of Buicks, Caddies, Packards etc and some very rare cars like the Hupmobile here and an Oakland tourer that was in need of some TLC. There was a big Daimler Sedan too on which the garage roof had collapsed completely destroying this car inthe process !

All pics were taken by me around a decade ago. Let enjoy them !

The first few pics are of the Hupmobile Sedan, a two owner original Hyderabad car with a very low mileage. This is followed by a De Soto featuring the Fluid Drive Transmission.

Next is a 30 Ford Model A Roadster, also a low mileage Hyderabad car, followed by a Chevy convertible which will be continued in the next set of pics.
Attached Thumbnails
The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp1.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp3.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp4.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp5.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp6.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp7.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp8.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp9.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp10.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp11.jpg  

wasif is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2010, 21:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

The second batch of pictures features the Checy Convertible followed by a Buick Eight convertible originally from Gujarat.

Next is an Impala coupe with its roof chopped off followed by two pics of unrestored cars, the dash is of a Buick convertible followed by a Vauxhall Sedan and two american cars not sure which make.
Attached Thumbnails
The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp12.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp13.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp14.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp15.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp16.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp17.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp18.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp19.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp20.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp21.jpg  

Old 2nd January 2010, 22:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

These third set of pics show various cars in as purchased condition awaiting restoration at a compound outside Hyderabad.

The was a collection of various kinds of Chariots here ar one time.
Attached Thumbnails
The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp22.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp23.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp24.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp25.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp26.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp27.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp28.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp29.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp30.jpg  

Old 2nd January 2010, 22:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Here are pics of some of the other cars in this collection awaiting restoration.

The first few are of a rather good looking thirties Buick 90 Convertible, hope this car has since been restored. It will look amazing once its on teh road again.

Next is an early fifties Plymouth convertible followed by a pic of the rear and interior of a medium sized Mercedes convertibel coupe. This car was missing its engine as it had been Dieselised at some point, not sure what model or year it represents.

The next few snaps are of a Buick Super Eight Convertible being restored followed by a Ford Model B Roadster that was in a bad shape.
Attached Thumbnails
The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp31.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp32.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp33.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp34.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp35.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp36.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp37.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp38.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp39.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp40.jpg  

Old 2nd January 2010, 23:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

This batch shows his Packard Sedan which has appeared in many vintage events. The Ford is a rare two door V8 needing full restoration

The next is a very original Plymouth sedan then a Jaguar Mark 7 followed by a rather distressed Olds pillarless sedan and another Fluid Drive Plymouth.
Attached Thumbnails
The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp42.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp43.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp44.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp45.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp46.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp47.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp48.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp49.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp51.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp52.jpg  

Old 2nd January 2010, 23:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is my last batch of pictures of this collection.

In the first picture you see a Buick Super Eight sedan under restoration. In the background is the only Chrysler 300G convertible in India.

This had the "Cross Ram" engine with the carbs on long manifolds stretching almost out ot the V or the engine hwere they usually would have been on a smaller manifold. I am not sue where it cam from but it is surely a very interesting car.

With this the count of the Chrysler Letter series cars in Hyderabad had reached two, the first being a 300C coupe with the legendary Hemi engine and push button transmission that was purchased by another local collector from the Osmania University auction.

I am not sure if there are any more of the Letter Series Chrysler cars around in India, open to correction on this though.

The other car is a Nissan V8 President sedan and you can also see the dash from the Impala and a Plymouth
Attached Thumbnails
The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp50.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp53.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp55.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp54.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp41.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp56.jpg  

The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp51.jpg  

wasif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2010, 03:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wasif the cars which are restored look like they have got a really good restoration done on them.Although the unrestored cars look quite dilapitated but hopwever its a good effort being made to have them back on the road.Any more info on his collection?Most of the restored cars have got AP numbers on them glad to see that.

By the where was HYX assigned to and why does that car have a yellow number plate ?

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 3rd January 2010 at 03:21.
Old 3rd January 2010, 09:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Wasif the cars which are restored look like they have got a really good restoration done on them.Although the unrestored cars look quite dilapitated but hopwever its a good effort being made to have them back on the road.Any more info on his collection?Most of the restored cars have got AP numbers on them glad to see that.

By the where was HYX assigned to and why does that car have a yellow number plate ?
HYX was the series in use prior to Hyderabad's accession to the Indian Union.

The state colour was yellow thats the reason the plates are on a yellow background.

Its obvious the unrestored cars will look "dipaledated', and you can see the quality of teh work being done to get them to concours conditions.
Old 3rd January 2010, 11:09   #9
BHPian

Wow....cannot believe it, lots of beauties.....Thanks Wasif for sharing, hope all will be on the road soon.

BTW.....saw one is sleeping on a vintage car Lucky man....resting in Peace
Attached Thumbnails
The Capitans Collection - Hyderabad-kp35.jpg  

Old 3rd January 2010, 13:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi Wasif,

About the Chrysler, it came from Ahmedabad, belonged to a notorious person. Do you notice how few people from that part of India put up posts?
There is a second similar car in Indore, that came from Bombay and was even seen in a movie, part of the scene was a drive on a beach.
I wonder about the white shell you mention as an Oldsmobile. I may be mistaken, but to me it seems to be a Chrysler product, Chrysler, Dodge, DeSoto or Plymouth.
One Fluid Drive mentioned is unlikely to be a Plymouth, more likely Dodge, DeSoto or Chrysler. Minor point.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 3rd January 2010 at 13:23.
Old 3rd January 2010, 13:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi Wasif,

About the Chrysler, it came from Ahmedabad, belonged to a notorious person. Do you notice how few people from that part of India put up posts?
There is a second similar car in Indore, that came from Bombay and was even seen in a movie, part of the scene was a drive on a beach.
I wonder about the white shell you mention as an Oldsmobile. I may be mistaken, but to me it seems to be a Chrysler product, Chrysler, Dodge, DeSoto or Plymouth.
One Fluid Drive mentioned is unlikely to be a Plymouth, more likely Dodge, DeSoto or Chrysler. Minor point.

Cheers harit
Hi Harit.

Are you talking about the Chrysler 300G convertible ?

Are there more letter series cars in India.

Why is it that guys from that part of the country don't post here ?

Who was the "notorious" owner.

What do you think of the other cars ?
Old 3rd January 2010, 14:21   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Here are pictures of some of the cars from the collection of Capt Pestonjee of Hyderabad.

Most of the cars were purchased unrestored and a quality restoration was performed on them by a dedicated team working exclusively on his cars.

The first few pics are of the Hupmobile Sedan, a two owner original Hyderabad car with a very low mileage. This is followed by a De Soto featuring the Fluid Drive Transmission.
Quote:
The second batch of pictures features the Checy Convertible followed by a Buick Eight convertible originally from Gujarat.

Next is an Impala coupe with its roof chopped off followed by two pics of unrestored cars, the dash is of a Buick convertible followed by a Vauxhall Sedan and two american cars not sure which make.
Quote:
These third set of pics show various cars in as purchased condition awaiting restoration at a compound outside Hyderabad.
Hey wow, nice to see pics. of the Pestonjee collection here too!

Here's a thread already on 'some' of them:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ollection.html

These are only the cars in the underground parking at his residence in Chirag Ali lane, where I too had been alongwith a fellow tbhpian from B'bay last year, saw the cars with the captain's kind permission. But when I went, I was told no photos allowed so didn't take any. 'not surprised you got to though!

I think I did see the Hupmobile parked there. I saw many of the cars featured here, including the HYX ford coupe. I was told there are more cars parked in his other premises then. Lucky you got to see them too.

The chopped Impala appears to be a 4-door sedan, not Coupe. Seems to be a baraat car?

Are the cars awaiting resto outside Hyd. located at Shamshabad?
I incidentally heard of a Nawab who'd go around buying loads of old cars, including Heralds/Standard 10s that he'd go park at his farm in Shamshabad and never bother to do anything with them since.
They'd just rot away over the years, with his servants robbing some of the parts and selling them! Do you know of this 'collection' too?

Also any more pics. of the green Standard Super 10 in the 'outisde hyd.' pic?

Last edited by Stanher : 3rd January 2010 at 14:22.
Old 3rd January 2010, 15:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hi Shyam.

Love your new avatar by the way nice reg on it !

I am not aware of any Nawab having a collection in Shamsabad, Rashid Bhai's farm is near Shmashaba but he didn't have any Standards.

The Captains cars used to be parked in a compound by the railway station at Osmania University. The house belonged to Wajid Bhai who was a lawyer and a close friend of the Captain. Later the cars were moved to a property on Abids next to the Sree Rama Book Depot compound where they lay for a long time.

There is a workshop in the basement of the building opp the Capts residence on Chirag Ali Lane where the restorations are carried out, do try to pass by and see whats currently being undertaken.

I have been to Wajid Bhai's compound at the height of this aquisition spree when it contained more then 75 cars and an assorted collection of buggies and carriages too.

I have also been to some interesting places to see some very strange things in the past in Hyderabad. There was practicaly no place where I have not been !

Mind you this was all in the days before digital cams. Cab you imagine the money I would spend on film and developing the pictures in those days. Also imagine if I had a digital camera in those days there would not be enough space to put up all the pics.

Last edited by wasif : 3rd January 2010 at 15:20.
Old 3rd January 2010, 16:47   #14
BHPian

Wonderful pictures of cars from your collection of photos, thanks for sharing with us. I have few pictures of cars in Wajid bhai compound with lot of buggies in the background, will scan it and post.

Any idea? I heard there were 2 RR, one of them is getting final touches with the collection of Khairtabad petrol pump owner. His Wolseley already
seen in many rallies.
Old 3rd January 2010, 16:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Wonderful pictures of cars from your collection of photos, thanks for sharing with us. I have few pictures of cars in Wajid bhai compound with lot of buggies in the background, will scan it and post.

Any idea? I heard there were 2 RR, one of them is getting final touches with the collection of Khairtabad petrol pump owner. His Wolseley already
seen in many rallies.

I too have only heard of the RR with the Khairtabad collector but never got to see it. it is said to be an early Silver Ghost which was a non rummer when purchased. Didn't know he has two of them now.

Does anyone have any further info on this ?

Please do look and post those pics of Wajid Bhai's compound.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks