Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2010, 23:37   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorelal View Post
I think the RTO will be having all the old records of all cars registered with them, unless it has been lost due to any calamiity
Here in AP, they usually dont preserve records more than 20 years old, from my experience, unless maybe the papers are currently updated. I had a problem getting the fitness/transfer done on my Pennant last year as the concerned RTO claimed they didnt have any records with them the day we went for the transfer!

But because I had the old RC and documents, I could still have them re-enter the records and get the fitness/transfer done through the agent. But of course, a little Vitamin M was needed in this case!

Same is the case even TN RTOs I'm told- they dont preserve records more than 20 years old!
Old 8th June 2010, 07:44   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Here in AP, they usually dont preserve records more than 20 years old, from my experience, unless maybe the papers are currently updated. I had a problem getting the fitness/transfer done on my Pennant last year as the concerned RTO claimed they didnt have any records with them the day we went for the transfer!

But because I had the old RC and documents, I could still have them re-enter the records and get the fitness/transfer done through the agent. But of course, a little Vitamin M was needed in this case!

Same is the case even TN RTOs I'm told- they dont preserve records more than 20 years old!

I dont think it can be so,because as per rules the government has to preserve most office records for a period of 30 years .before destroying them

Old 13th November 2010, 08:27   #48
BHPian

Good Information

Hello everyone,
This is my first post here. I have been a classic vehicles enthusiastic for a log time and now i am in a position where i can realise my dream. My foremost concern has always been the legal/documentation part of it. And this thread has been very helpful in throwing light on the situation, which is frankly, not very encouraging. I am planning to buy couple of classic 2 wheelers this year to start with, preferably vijay/lambretta scooters. And i request the experts here to guide me on what are the things to look for other than vehicle condition. As expected most of the old vehicles will have expired/missing papers. As far as possible i want to drive my vehicles will all legal papers.
Please let me know if this is not the right place to post this question.
Old 18th July 2014, 03:39   #49
BHPian

Vintage Vehicle Document Info?

I managed to get my hands on a 57 Matchless 350cc bike. The bike is in Pune, but registered at Nagpur. The present owner in Pune has the RC and tax papers only. It is not in his name so he cant transfer it to my name. The bike was registered up to 2003. Its going cheap. Is it worth a buy? How do u keep it legally running on the road???

Last edited by Leepower : 18th July 2014 at 03:43.
Old 18th July 2014, 12:01   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Vintage Vehicle Document Info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
I managed to get my hands on a 57 Matchless 350cc bike. The bike is in Pune, but registered at Nagpur. The present owner in Pune has the RC and tax papers only. It is not in his name so he cant transfer it to my name. The bike was registered up to 2003. Its going cheap. Is it worth a buy? How do u keep it legally running on the road???
The important thing is that the RC book is present. Which means it can be transfereed, provided the registered owner provides you his signatures on the transfer forms. I think they are forms 28, 29 and 30 including an NOC from Nagpur RTO. Before the transfer can be completed the paper work will need to be updated, i.e. one time tax (OTT), green tax, fitness, insurance and PUC.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 12:31   #51
BHPian

Yes sir RC is there. But what if that owner does sign on Form 29, 30. That's my only apprehension. It is not going to be used daily.

Last edited by Leepower : 18th July 2014 at 12:32.
Old 18th July 2014, 12:39   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Vintage Vehicle Document Info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Yes sir RC is there. But what if that owner does sign on Form 29, 30. That's my only apprehension. It is not going to be used daily.
To comply with legalities, you HAVE to have the registered owner's signature. There is no other option assuming you want to have all paperwork in order.
Old 31st August 2018, 14:35   #53
G-2

Re: RTO Documentation for Vintage/Classics

Hello everyone,

We have a 60's bike(daily runner with clear documents) which needs FC to be done in TN(expired a few months ago). The RTO officials want the original RC to 'update online' and are not giving a clear answer about whether they will return the original RC book back or replace it with some sort of card/new document. I'd like to retain the original RC if not for anything else atleast for nostalgic reasons.
My question, will they return the original RC after updating and completing the FC? Has anyone else faced a similar issue. Is there a provision to request the original RC book after they have updated online or made to a card?
Old 31st August 2018, 14:43   #54
BHPian

I did register my 67 model bike a few years back and gave the original RC book to the agent who changed it to smart card type but did not return the original book.

They said that it would be scrapped. It must be pointed out that there is a thriving market for old RC books alone. My suggestion is that you insist on returning back the old RC and check with 2/3 agents before proceeding.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 10:54   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-2 View Post
Hello everyone,

We have a 60's bike(daily runner with clear documents) which needs FC to be done in TN(expired a few months ago). The RTO officials want the original RC to 'update online' and are not giving a clear answer about whether they will return the original RC book back or replace it with some sort of card/new document. I'd like to retain the original RC if not for anything else atleast for nostalgic reasons.
My question, will they return the original RC after updating and completing the FC? Has anyone else faced a similar issue. Is there a provision to request the original RC book after they have updated online or made to a card?
In kerala,since 2009, MVD will issue only the new laminated card RC after renewal of registration.The Old book RC will be retained in the office for 1-2 years and later scrapped.since a vehicle cannot have 2 RC 's they cannot give you back the original book RC (as per the officials).
In TamilNadu I have seen RC in computer print out paper(not card) form and additional entries being made on the back side of it.
You can make a special request in writing to the Deputy Transport Commissioner or higher level official for considering it as a special case and get an order issued for retaining the old RCbook for archival purpose alone
ajay99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 18:55   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
You can make a special request in writing to the Deputy Transport Commissioner or higher level official for considering it as a special case and get an order issued for retaining the old RCbook for archival purpose alone
I have done this for my 1948 CZ and 1947 Perak 250..
Old 18th September 2018, 12:59   #57
BHPian

I happen to visit the RTO in karntaka to get my 1964 mercedes w110 registered here as it is originally a GOA reg car. The issue is the RTO here is asking me to get the original invoice of the car to asses the tax. i told them that the original invoice is not available. they are giving me an option either the original invoice else 1L tax.
Old 18th September 2018, 18:38   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by calrock View Post
I happen to visit the RTO in karntaka to get my 1964 mercedes w110 registered here as it is originally a GOA reg car. The issue is the RTO here is asking me to get the original invoice of the car to asses the tax. i told them that the original invoice is not available. they are giving me an option either the original invoice else 1L tax.
Yes they have a complicated way of calculating the tax based on original value of the car which is basically value in Deutshe Marks in 1964 and the exchange rate then, To that they add various things like import duties etc and work out today's value and put a tax on that! crazy but i ended up paying dearly for my Miata when i relocated her to mumbai
Old 14th October 2018, 11:36   #59
BHPian

Re: Good Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
So isn't it more practical to just drive the cars with what ever papers or registration documents you have , and in cases with out papers also ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Hello everyone,
I have been a classic vehicles enthusiastic for a log time and now i am in a position where i can realise my dream. My foremost concern has always been the legal/documentation part of it. And this thread has been very helpful in throwing light on the situation, which is frankly, not very encouraging. As expected most of the old vehicles will have expired/missing papers. As far as possible i want to drive my vehicles will all legal papers.

I'm in the same dilemna as you Priyadarshan, and frankly a lot of "sellers" and agents have indicated the same mindset as Indrojit - quoted above.

I am not 100% in agreement, but would like some more opinions from the community.

Maybe we can we have a poll added to this thread?
Old 14th October 2018, 23:17   #60
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I am looking for help to re register my 1963 Fiat with a Delhi registration on it.
It now falls under Vintage class because of its age. and the last renewal was done in 1995 with life time tax paid on it.
Its in immaculate condition n need someone to guide me how do i go about making it street legal again. The car is in Delhi
HELP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks