Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 18:17   #46
dot
Senior - BHPian

re: Pre-owned Civic or Brand-new Sedan? EDIT - Bought a Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post

4. The Worst Fact of them all - When the dealership spoke to the owner today, he said that he has sold the car by Feb itself and got the money when the car was driven just 25000 odd kms. These morons have either driven it for the next 4000 kms or some other second owner has driven the car without changing the registration and put it up for sale.
This point is definitely the deal breaker. It is good that you had the strength to move away.
Old 4th May 2011, 18:21   #47
BHPian

Quote:
As they always say "Appearances are often deceptive". Yesterday, when I inspected the car, I found out that the rear windsheild had a 06 number while the car and all other glasses had 07. Today, I found the reason for it
With such a rosy background behind it, I decided to say 'TATA' to the car. So, my search for the perfect Civic is set to continue.
Good work, what was the reason, then? Was it a crashed car, if so, where did you find the evidence? That's one major pothole on the used car buying journey you managed to give a slip.
Old 4th May 2011, 19:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
This point is definitely the deal breaker. It is good that you had the strength to move away.
Oh yeah! When I am going to put in so much of my hard-earned money, how can I settle for a car like this? That was the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
Good work, what was the reason, then?
The car definitely had some crashes which was evident from the repairs done on the front fenders and rocker panels. But the dealer said the rear windshield was replaced because it was broken, but they did not know the reason for it. They said it may have either been an accident or something falling on to the windshield (like a coconut). So, no idea about what was the real reason.
Old 4th May 2011, 21:02   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh yeah! When I am going to put in so much of my hard-earned money, how can I settle for a car like this? That was the reason.

The car definitely had some crashes which was evident from the repairs done on the front fenders and rocker panels. But the dealer said the rear windshield was replaced because it was broken, but they did not know the reason for it. They said it may have either been an accident or something falling on to the windshield (like a coconut). So, no idea about what was the real reason.

You are right the replaced windshield could be changed for a variety of reasons. I have had my scratched windshields changed on my Octavia, Merc, Indica, Ikon....all because of scratches & hence bad vision at night. None of the cars had seen an accident.

But you can detect that. Look for paintwork near the seams of the windshield or get an opinion from your local trusted garage

BTW if you do not get a good Civic in Chennai for whatever be the reason. Come to Delhi / NCR - they are available all over the place, from Honda pre-owned car program to local dealers to advts. in papers. You can easily get one well within your budget & a good one at that.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 4th May 2011 at 21:07.
Old 4th May 2011, 21:17   #50
Senior - BHPian

Glad that you decided to walk away from this example.
Wishing you luck in finding your dream machine.
Old 4th May 2011, 22:02   #51
BANNED

Quote:
As they always say "Appearances are often deceptive". Yesterday, when I inspected the car, I found out that the rear windsheild had a 06 number while the car and all other glasses had 07. Today, I found the reason for it and with it some other startling facts too:

1. Rear windshield has been replaced after 3rd service.
2. The right front fender has been repaired at the dealer's Body Shop with a bill amount of 12000.
3. In subsequent services, both the front rocker panels have been repaired.
4. The Worst Fact of them all - When the dealership spoke to the owner today, he said that he has sold the car by Feb itself and got the money when the car was driven just 25000 odd kms. These morons have either driven it for the next 4000 kms or some other second owner has driven the car without changing the registration and put it up for sale.

With such a rosy background behind it, I decided to say 'TATA' to the car. So, my search for the perfect Civic is set to continue.

Thanks to all the Team BHPians for equipping me with enough knowledge to identify what is what.
Hi Did you check TSM ? i guess they had two Civics which my friend inspected,but i guess both had poorly maintained interiors.

Do check Toyota Trust in ECR and Honda Terrace (pre owned) in capital and Sundaram
Old 4th May 2011, 22:21   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
Is it mandatory to replace the tires at 35k or did you do it for any other reason?
How were the treads on the tyres when you bought the car?
Front tyres still had about 5000 km life in them but the rear tyres were bald. So I got all 4 tyres replaced.

Generally, I change the tyres every 40,000 km. You can visually see fairly deep tread at 40K kms but your tyres will have lower grip (understeer) in ghats, higher road noise and poorer ride quality.

You will realize the above after you change to new tyres - suddenly you will find that your car has been transformed to a nicer riding quiet car.

Last edited by SmartCat : 4th May 2011 at 22:23.
Old 5th May 2011, 06:17   #53
Senior - BHPian

There seems to be some sort of confusion there with the car.

I spoke to the owner directly and got the full details - he has serviced it last at 25000 km in Nov-2010 and sold the car to a dealer in Feb-2011 after driving it for 28800 odd km. Now the car's odo reading is 29400 km. I think this interim distance run by the car is fair. So, I have got the deal-breaking point cleared.

Now, I need the help of all you people to decide further. Though mechanically none of the parts have been replaced and the car is in perfect health as per dealer records, I have the following concerns with the car:
1. Replacement of rear windshield
2. Repairing of rocker panels and body repair work done in front fender.

Do you guys think it would still be a fair deal going for this car or should I wait more for perfect samples?
Old 5th May 2011, 13:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

^I would be interested in knowing the following before I put in that kind of money in this car:
1. Where was the car kept during the last two-three months?
2. Was it run for 600 KM since Feb? Who was using it?
BTW: This is actually fair running for car which is up for sale for two months.
3. Is there any insurance 'history' which you explore? Have some other repairs been carried out besides the two points mentioned by you?
Old 5th May 2011, 13:50   #55
Senior - BHPian

Life is really a roller-coaster ride and the past two days have proved it correct.

Today morning, I had a detailed chat with the dealer manager who showed the Service History of the car yesterday. I told him though I like the car, there are two points that are making me hesitate. 1) Rear windsheild replacement & 2) Rocker Panel Repairs.

He cleanly explained that the car has not met with any accident which I suspected was the reason for rear windsheild replacement. Then, he assured me that the repairs done in rocker panel were minor and that should not be a deal-breaker.

So, finally I have decided to jump in the 'Civic' bandwagon. Just spoke to the dealer and confirmed him that I will take delivery next weekend. I would love to take it this weekend itself but am leaving on a business trip to Pune tomorrow. Am paying an advance today to the dealer to finalize proceedings. Wish and pray that all will go well!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Go for a car that is mechanically perfect , physical bruises are unavoidable and can be taken care of later too!
Good Luck with your purchasing decision and keep us posted!
Very true statement Ace. As you said, I just made sure that none of the mechanical parts in this particular car has ever been replaced except for the regular service items.

Very excited and already waiting for next weekend!
Old 5th May 2011, 14:07   #56
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on taking the plunge and welcome to the wonderful world of pre-worshipped Honda Civics!

Though I am sure you have gone through minor details of the deal, ask your dealer for about warranty and service issues! If he is keen to sell the car to you, he will definitely offer something!

Waiting for your initial impressions and ownership report eagerly! Wish you a smooth delivery experience and good luck with your new acquisition!
Old 5th May 2011, 14:09   #57
dot
Senior - BHPian

@arvi, as long as the car does not have engine+tranny, chassis and A,B,C pillar damage, it should be fine to buy. One cannot avoid minor body damages, dents, repaints etc. So what if the rear windshield and rocker panel has been replaced. Think of it this way, you now know the service history as if it was your car from day one. It is difficult to get such confidence. If the car is running fine, engine has been serviced regularly, you cant go wrong with a Civic.

Last edited by dot : 5th May 2011 at 14:11.
Old 5th May 2011, 14:28   #58
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ace and dot for helping me out with all the finer details that made me take this decision. How I wish I was here to get and drive the car this weekend itself? But I have to console myself saying that all good things in life comes after a good long wait.
Old 5th May 2011, 15:21   #59
Senior - BHPian

Somehow i am no longer comfortable with this example.
Especially since the rear windshield has been replaced, as well as the H logo at the rear not being straight.
My advice is to walk away from this one.
Look for a better example, i am sure it won't be that difficult to find.
Good luck.

Since two bhpians recommend the go ahead and one is dear friend @dot A little edit.
I know that coming close to the dream and realizing as soon as possible does make us want to sign the cheque as soon as possible and drive off.
But what i suggest is look for a few more examples, especially at Honda's used car division. You will atleast have a few more cars to compare and more experience with what to look out for in the civic.
After doing this if you feel that the this particular example is the best, then seal the deal.

Last edited by mdsaab : 5th May 2011 at 15:25.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 15:49   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

@arvi- 600 km driven by the dealership is a little suspicious, don't you think? I don't think it can be acocunted for by simple test drives. Also you have to ask yourself why the car has not been sold so long. Please check out some more cars before making your final decision.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks