Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2011, 14:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice reqd - vento diesel + swift petrol VS city + swift diesel

I will recommend you to go for a diesel hatch for city driving and ANHC for highway trips. You will forget all petrol costs etc. once you drive the i-VTEC over 4-5K on an E-way/highway.

If your running is less than 1500 KMs per month I don't think the additional 2.20 lacs investment on Vento is wise. And you never know when Govt. may transfer price control for diesel to oil companies.

Last edited by bluevolt : 17th September 2011 at 14:35.
Old 17th September 2011, 14:36   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Let me give you a new option.

Option 4: Retain the swift and buy city smt.Cost = 8.5 lakhs.

The amount you save by this option can easily cover the petrol-diesel running costs.

Also keep in mind that petrols are easier to maintain and also more refined.
Not refuting anything you're saying here, but I find myself in the same situation (bought a Vento petrol AT while also retaining my Swift petrol Vxi) and believe me, it galls me to cough up 70 bucks a pop while the TDIs and TCDIs around me gleefully shell out 40-odd. It used to be heart over head but now only a rather dull head would disregard the clear economic benefit
Old 17th September 2011, 16:19   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Not refuting anything you're saying here, but I find myself in the same situation (bought a Vento petrol AT while also retaining my Swift petrol Vxi) and believe me, it galls me to cough up 70 bucks a pop while the TDIs and TCDIs around me gleefully shell out 40-odd. It used to be heart over head but now only a rather dull head would disregard the clear economic benefit
Cheer up man,you opted for an auto and the only diesel option for a diesel auto in the range is the fluidic verna.Long term prospects of hyundai diesels are still suspect.As per the petrol bunk guilt it should be equalised over the ease of driving an auto especially in traffic.

The vento will last a lifetime if you take proper care of it.
Enjoy your ride.
And glide in traffic smirking at soot belching,gear hauling lessers
revintup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 16:57   #19
BHPian

re: Honda City bought: new dilemma: Thar versus Scorpio as Swift D replacement?

Option 3 it should be.

Think about it. You get 2 new cars, A good value for your older Swift , Almost diesel economy (Considering the City is frugal on highways), Lesser maintenance costs over a longer run since you would have 2 new cars.
The only option that would beat option 3 is to sell off your swift and buy a Vento Diesel only But since you strictly want 2 cars, Don't think anything else can better option 3. Cheers.
Old 17th September 2011, 17:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

For Highway drives, Vento is a better Deal. It is more composed, has a better ride and handles significantly better. It would be my pick for Highway. In case you are travelling with 5 passengers most of the time, the City will be a bit more comfortable. But as for self driven, thCity cant match Vento's fun to drive quotient. The choice is easy.
But 2L price difference between S-MT and Vento TDi is a little too much to digest. I suggest you TD both the cars and pick the one you like. Financially there is nothing much to choose here.

For city runs, the Swift VXI will do the job very well. I wound not suggest the VDI as it has a neverending waiting period, the turbo lag in city will be a pain. Keep the VXi for the time being. Think of a change 2 years from now. There will be a lot of other options then. But in case you are bent on replacing the Swift, for for Figo diesel. It has just enough pep to live up to the city speeds. It also does not have the irritating turbo lag and the waiting period is livable.

Dont just judge cars on the basis of economics only. See what you really like & want. We bought a Vento diesel not because of the lower running cost. (The monthly running is about 600km) but because of the insane torque that puts a grin every time I smash the Pedal.

Last edited by oxyzen : 17th September 2011 at 17:12.
Old 20th September 2011, 00:07   #21
BHPian

A small update: have anyways gone ahead and booked a swift VDi; grapevine - the vdi+abs may be out by the time my booking matures.

As far as the sedan purchase goes, the city refresh is expected in oct as per a trusted acquaintance; decision on pause till then.

For all my forum mates - am traveling and haven't been able to learn how to multi quote on the iPad app yet so pls bear with me till I get back to my laptop with some time on hand and will respond and thank each of you. (Safari can be used but am stupid )
Old 20th September 2011, 15:53   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
A small update: have anyways gone ahead and booked a swift VDi; grapevine - the vdi+abs may be out by the time my booking matures.

As far as the sedan purchase goes, the city refresh is expected in oct as per a trusted acquaintance; decision on pause till then.
Congrats on the new Swift! Does Maruti offer any Optional pack for ABS and Airbags on the Swift?

Btw, when is the expected delivery? Swift bookings I heard were stopped because of the Manesar situation.

About City refresh, you may take a cue from Jazz's refresh; just some bumpers retouched. The reason I point it out is - there are no discounts now on the Jazz.

You *might* just end up buying a City refresh with new bumpers and lose out on the awesome deals that are currently on offer on the City. Think over it!
Old 9th November 2011, 01:18   #23
BHPian

Dear All,

Call it destiny + GTO's thread on a preowned civic.

Got an exceptionally well Pre-worshipped 07 Civic SMT with 45k on the odometer.
Was being sold by an acquaintance that's why the excision else I do not have the patience to look around.

Guess the dilemma gets over with this.
I may convert my swift to CNG if I feel a need or may even sell it and use that money for the next few years petrol purchase!

Thanks for your inputs nonetheless!
Old 9th November 2011, 02:28   #24
BHPian

Quote:

For all my forum mates - am traveling and haven't been able to learn how to multi quote on the iPad app yet so pls bear with me till I get back to my laptop with some time on hand and will respond and thank each of you. (Safari can be used but am stupid )
Congrats on finally making the call

& Swift VDi + ABS? Could you expand on this grapevine?
Was it the dealer or something you read?
Old 9th November 2011, 09:38   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV

Congrats on finally making the call

& Swift VDi + ABS? Could you expand on this grapevine?
Was it the dealer or something you read?
Thanks Avinash!

The swift booking is a long time away from maturity so will take the call once I have to cross the bridge.

The ANHC info was from a reporter at a prominent car magazine; not sure why it wasn't released in Oct; maybe incorrect info or could be the Thai floods.
Old 9th November 2011, 11:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

Why not sell your swift VXI and buy a vento Diesel? when you buy a diesel car the same can be used either for the city drives or highway drives.
Old 12th March 2012, 20:59   #27
BHPian

Life is weird! Specially when it comes to deciding on cars!!
Coming back to update this thread. Request the mods to change the title to - "From 'SwiftP+VentoD vs SwiftD+ANHC' to 'ANHC+ Thar vs Scorpio'!".

Turn of events so far::::::
1. Had a 08 Swift. Was unsure wether to go for a Vento D OR Swift D + the Honda City.
2. Booked a Swift D. Decided to pick up a friend's pre-worshipped Civic.
3. Friend unsure; even I unsure on the preowned idea. Drop the idea.
4. Picked up the 2012 City in Jan 12 (the Swift D booking is still on but not sure if I want to buy one).

NOW::::::
Am planning to sell my 08 Swift. To be replaced by? Well, Thar Crde or Scorpio Sle.
The heart always has been for an SUV; maybe the subconscious was always clear but the mind was playing games.

Can the Thar be a practical city roundabout with AC & a well fitted hard top?
The Thar would cost me 8 L OTR with AC & a hard top. Plus I get 4x4 for those once a quarter off-roads.

The SLE 4WD Scorpio would be 12.5 L OTR. Why the SLE? Need ABS but not the electronic gadgetry.
Seems a little more practical over the Thar & of course a little more palatable (am in a business development role & some clients may not be extremely happy see me hop out of a Thar!).
However, the heart lies with the Thar! A jeep! Help!?

Last edited by nitin.rai : 12th March 2012 at 21:23.
Old 12th March 2012, 21:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

I test drove Vento Highline of one of my colleague and seriously I am not impressed with the price tag. He paid almost 11.XX lakh for this highline model which, I, as normal user cannot vouch that it is 11 lakh+ car (@Bangalore). Equipment level is also not at all impressive considering the price point.

I feel that your second option is much more viable in terms of "Economies of Scale" and go for it. My best of luck with you.

Last edited by anujmishra : 12th March 2012 at 21:22.
Old 12th March 2012, 21:23   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra
I feel that your second option is much more viable in terms of "Economies of Scale" and go for it. My best of luck with you.
Hey Anuj,
The 12 City is home. Now the confusion is between the Thar vs Scorpio!

PS: Am with you. Just my personal opinion and no offense to anyone but I couldn't convince self to plonk 11L OTR on the Vento D HL!

Last edited by nitin.rai : 12th March 2012 at 21:25.
Old 12th March 2012, 21:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The heart always has been for an SUV; maybe the subconscious was always clear but the mind was playing games.

Can the Thar be a practical city roundabout with AC & a well fitted hard top?
The Thar would cost me 8 L OTR with AC & a hard top. Plus I get 4x4 for those once a quarter off-roads.

The SLE 4WD Scorpio would be 12.5 L OTR. Why the SLE? Need ABS but not the electronic gadgetry.
Seems a little more practical over the Thar & of course a little more palatable (am in a business development role & some clients may not be extremely happy see me hop out of a Thar!).
However, the heart lies with the Thar! A jeep! Help!?
I suggest you to go for Scorpio. It's not that Thar is bad but as you said you are in business development role, I think thar will not suit the personality. Thar is for some serious off roaders. And I have not spotted a single Thar in NCR region. Also you have to get the AC and hard top retrofitted.

BTW Why not the XUV? It's the best bet considering Scorpio feels outdated when compared with XUV.

Last edited by bluevolt : 12th March 2012 at 21:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks