Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2011, 18:16   #1
BHPian

Honda City bought: new dilemma: Thar versus Scorpio as Swift D replacement?

Folks,

Last week had made up my mind and was supposed to give the cheque today to the dealer. Had decided upon the ANHC VAT.
Considering the petrol price hike (expect about 5 rs more by the end of the year) last evening, am wondering if I should switch to vento diesel.

Did a rethink and down to below options:
Option 1: diesel vento high line; 10.73 OTR Delhi & retain my 08 swift Vxi for city runs. = 10.73
Option 2: ANHC EMT + swift VDi = 8.1 (7.83 OTR + access) + 6.1 OTR swift VDi = 14.2 - 3 (my 08 petrol swift should fetch) = 11.2 net.
Option 3: ANHC SMT + swift VDi = 8.53 (8.43 OTR + access) + 6.1 OTR swift VDi = 14.53 - 3 (my 08 petrol swift should fetch) = 11.53 net.

On the ANHC EMT, the dealer is offering to get the door handle and orvm painted & backup sensor FOC. Plus I would need to spend about 30k for stereo, sunfilm, seat covers & extended warranty / road side assist.
On ANHC SMT, am being offered backup sensor, seat covers & sun film. Need to pay 10k extra for extended warranty & RSA.

Which option do you think makes more sense? Is it a good deal I am getting on the ANHC in Delhi?

My city/highway run is 80/20. Verna, fiesta, linea ruled out. Approx budget 10 but 11 should be ok. No finance reqd.
Thanks much!

Vento not much on offer from the dealer.
I would prefer a small hatch as driving in the city would be easy. 2 cars put together, annual running about 20k kms.

Other cars had been considered but ruled out.

Scorpio too was on my mind but ruled out an SUV as my SUV requirement is only about twice an year, rest should be manageable in a swift. GTOs advice helped firm up my mind on this.
Old 16th September 2011, 18:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice reqd - vento diesel + swift petrol VS city + swift diesel

@Nitin,

I suggest option 1 is the most ideal. For city runs, a hatch will be sufficient and the present one is doing its job. However instead of Vento, I would suggest Fiesta or Verna diesel, more value for money buys.

I would like to know why Verna and Fiesta are ruled out.
Old 16th September 2011, 18:36   #3
BHPian

Selling your Swift Vxi and getting a Swift deisel does not seem to be a good math. You are loosing out huge on the depreciated sale value. For that 1.5 lakh odd rupees you can anyway survive the petrol hikes for a few more years.
Old 16th September 2011, 18:40   #4
BHPian

Hi Nitin,
I would say option 1+sell the swift petrol. It will fetch you more money now than a few years down the lane especially when the new swift reached the used market. Vento is pretty managable in the city. It will give you diesel economy and your net expense will be 3 lakh cheaper.

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th September 2011 at 00:04. Reason: please avoid quotinga long post specially when its on same page, thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 18:52   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the quick response folks, this is one more thing I love about this forum
I prefer changing my cars in 3-4 years so let's say that the swift Vxi is going one year sooner than it may have. Plus I won't lose much on the swift as the company lease helped me save a lot and just got over in aug 11, my buy back was almost as the resale amount.
2 cars is a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur
@Nitin,

I suggest option 1 is the most ideal. For city runs, a hatch will be sufficient and the present one is doing its job. However instead of Vento, I would suggest Fiesta or Verna diesel, more value for money buys.

I would like to know why Verna and Fiesta are ruled out.
Have had bad experience with Hyundai *** of late, sold my Santro after getting frustrated.
Fiesta seems a little outdated (just my personal opinion).

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th September 2011 at 00:04. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 18:55   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Very interesting thread!

I started out thinking I would vote for option 1 (aside: mods, can this thread be converted to a poll?) since it would give you the best diesel car in the country (well...segment anyway) the Vento Tdi, while allowing you to retain your trusty Swift. I did something like that myself, only unfortunately both my cars are petrol . Hey, who knew these guys would keep inflicting price hikes on us?

But then I did a double take at the price you have quoted for the Honda City variants. Seriously, is it THAT much of a saving?

So in my opinion it's simple: get that S-MT and trade your Vxi in for a new Swift diesel. You will enjoy the benefits of:
- a diesel for your city runs, i.e. better FE.
- the City on highway runs will not pinch as much. It is a frugal car anyway.
- the new Swift is considerably better looking inside than the old.
- 2 NEW cars for pretty much the same price (10-15% is not much of a difference).

No brainer if you ask me!

I chose S-MT over E-MT since I am one who believes that stock is king: get as many features stock as you can, rather than fit stuff aftermarket (provided they're good)!

Last edited by noopster : 16th September 2011 at 19:06.
Old 16th September 2011, 19:02   #7
BHPian

Thanks Noopster, I think it's a dilemma most of us are facing today.
Even I think I will go ahead with SMT + VDi - trying to get the best of all the worlds.

You do think am getting neat deals on the city, correct?

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th September 2011 at 00:05. Reason: please avoid quoting a long post specially when its on same page, thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 19:04   #8
Team-BHP Support

Where do you plan to use either of the cars? As in, sedan for the highway and hatch for the city or otherwise?

If you plan to use the hatch mostly in the city, it makes sense that you go with option 4 : City SMT + a diff. diesel.

Are your car purchases time bound?

Swapping your current Swift with the new one doesn't make sense as the new Swift has tremendous delays; with the situation at Manesar not helping at all.

ANHC for highway use is fine as you get a really good FE (~18).

So, I'd suggest you get yourself a ANHC SMT and look for a diesel hatch.
Old 16th September 2011, 22:05   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987
Where do you plan to use either of the cars? As in, sedan for the highway and hatch for the city or otherwise?

If you plan to use the hatch mostly in the city, it makes sense that you go with option 4 : City SMT + a diff. diesel.

Are your car purchases time bound?

Swapping your current Swift with the new one doesn't make sense as the new Swift has tremendous delays; with the situation at Manesar not helping at all.

ANHC for highway use is fine as you get a really good FE (~18).

So, I'd suggest you get yourself a ANHC SMT and look for a diesel hatch.
Hey libranof1987,

Good to interact with you one more time and I do remember your HR ANHC?

I believe the city would mostly be for highway use and the diesel hatch for ncr.
My purchases aren't time bound financially but in the head yes and I won't stand to loose much on depreciation. On the face of it yes but there are ways to not lose much.
The wait won't hurt either.
My head was telling me SMT+VDi; all the responses just reaffirm my belief.

Thanks!
Old 17th September 2011, 01:48   #10
BHPian

Dear Technocrat,

I had love to multi quote on my iPad but don't think there's an option on the application or I am not aware.
Please help either ways.

Thanks!
Old 17th September 2011, 10:14   #11
BHPian

Option 1 makes most sense economically and practically. Retain the petrol Swift - its excellent for city use. The Vento (or even the new Verna) makes more sense than the Honda City in today's scenario of petrol touching the 70 mark (in Delhi). In fact, whatever you eventually decide, think twice before you opt for a petrol car. A year down the road, the diesel-petrol gap is likely to be even wider.

A new Swift VDi will have you waiting forever with the current situation at Manesar.
Old 17th September 2011, 10:22   #12
BHPian

Let me give you a new option.

Option 4: Retain the swift and buy city smt.Cost = 8.5 lakhs.

The amount you save by this option can easily cover the petrol-diesel running costs.

Also keep in mind that petrols are easier to maintain and also more refined.

I had test driven the vento diesel and found it to be pretty cramped when compared to the city.

I was in the exact same position.Am retaining my 2005 swift vxi and booked a city smt two days back.I have a yearly running of 15k kms and on doing the math found out this to be my best option.

You can sell the swift later on and get a diesel hatch,but only when the swift has done somes miles.

Do the math and things will be crystal clear.All the best.
Old 17th September 2011, 10:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nitin: i have a altogether new proposition

As your highway usage is less, why block the money on paying for a car which you won't use that often? Buy a petrol for that = City.

As for the city run, if you calculate and check the depreciation and running you will agree that your well maintained car should not go now. Save. The money and get on with another pan-India biking trip we will get to listening to your travel.

For shorter durations and traffic jams do you really need a diesel. I still think you will be better off with existing car.

Or buy Brio and City as a double deal and gain on upfront discounts. Converted Honda boy. Cheers!

New I mentioned: by the time I finished my thought has been echoed.

iPad app can multi quote. Just select the quotes and then click the icon on top right corner. Voila you can multi-quote now.

Last edited by Sn1p3r : 17th September 2011 at 10:39.
Old 17th September 2011, 10:38   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
Folks,

Last week had made up my mind and was supposed to give the cheque today to the dealer. Had decided upon the ANHC VAT.
Considering the petrol price hike (expect about 5 rs more by the end of the year) last evening, am wondering if I should switch to vento diesel. Option 1: diesel vento high line; 10.73 OTR Delhi & retain my 08 swift Vxi for city runs. = 10.73
Option 3: ANHC SMT + swift VDi = 8.53 (8.43 OTR + access) + 6.1 OTR swift VDi = 14.53 - 3 (my 08 petrol swift should fetch) = 11.53 net.
My first reaction was Option 1. but closely looking I found Option 3 (- the new swift ) better. The difference between vento and ANHC SMT is almost 2.2 lakhs. If you keep your old swift and buy an SMT, the 2.2 lakhs can maintain your fuel expenses for two years (absolute) and about 3-31/2 years (on parity).

And, most of all, since you had made up your mind on ANHC, i believe that's where your heart is.

Cheers
EDIT: Saw later that revinit had already given this option.

Last edited by Tapish : 17th September 2011 at 10:40. Reason: Already posted by revinit
Old 17th September 2011, 12:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
My head was telling me SMT+VDi; all the responses just reaffirm my belief.

Thanks!
IMHO you can go for the following option too:

Your Current petrol swift + SMT. This will save you cool 3 lakhs from option 3 and almost 2.5 lakh from option 1. This amount can be allocated to meet your petrol expenses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks