Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Buying a used Logan taxi?

Let's assume that the car is in good nick and your friend buys it for 1.75 lakhs. Has he considered the additional road tax he needs to pay for converting the taxi into private use. I think that additional tax will easily cross the 50K mark.

It does not make any sense in buying a taxi for personal use, unless you want to continue using it as a cab.
Why don't you suggest him to buy an esteem for same price.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 09:54   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I did a quick check in our classifieds section and in that price range (under 2 lac) your friend can get any of these:
- 2004 Baleno, 72000 km
- 2006 Esteem, 27000 km
-'97 Gypsy
-'90 MM540
-'06 Palio Sport 1.6 64,000 km (yummy!)

...and about 200 other cars that I didn't get the details of.

'Nuff said. Tell your pal to smarten up and get online. There are super deals out there for every budget. You just need to make the effort and find them...
Old 24th July 2012, 10:05   #18
Team-BHP Support

A mint Baleno as well. Run just 37,000kms and of a fellow Team BHPian. Going for 2.25L.
Old 24th July 2012, 10:41   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Why does your want to buy the car? What is his need?
If its personal/family use, a taxi is not something that will look good in one's driveway. Also he will need to change the taxi registration and get a private one. I think this is enough reason to avoid it and go in for a used Alto/Santro and buy peace of mind.

If his running is significant, then he can consider a CNG conversion.
Old 25th July 2012, 20:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying a used Logan taxi?

Go for it if you get it for 75,00 to 1 lac. Drive it as long as it runs and then spend 50k -1 lac for re-boring the engine and drive another 3 lac kms.

This way you get a diesel with a "as good as new" engine (re-bored) for less than 2 lacs.

Diesel vehicles in 2nd hand market are every expensive.

PLease note changing Taxi registraion to private is a pain in the neck
Old 25th July 2012, 20:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Never ever turn your head at these taxis unless you want to hire it for a trip.
This money can buy much better and less traversed cars.
Old 25th July 2012, 20:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

This thread is making me smile.
How on earth your friend even considered the offer is beyond me.
Anyways I hope he chucks the offer.

And how on earth the owner is demanding 1.75 lacs for a 3 lac km done car ?

Its a strange world.
Old 25th July 2012, 22:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

Guys - Please help me understand this -

When one can rebuild Jeeps, Gypsys given the fact they can be purchased first hand today, What is the harm in going in for this Logan Taxi and re-building the engine and other parts ?

Jeeps parts are comparitively difficult to find when compared to Logan/Verito.

This works out way cheaper than buying a new diesel car.
Old 25th July 2012, 23:10   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath

When one can rebuild Jeeps, Gypsys given the fact they can be purchased first hand today, What is the harm in going in for this Logan Taxi and re-building the engine and other parts ?

I'd say the first thing would be charm.
With all your effort, all you'd end up with is a Logan, which, for all its virtues of space and comfort, is the most bland vehicle I have ever seen.

When you'll sit in it, there won't be any thing special that you'll feel.
Oh, you could jazz it up, but there are better interiors that you can jazz up.
Or you could do up the exterior ,but that could land you in one of our other threads.. ..

Consider your own reaction when you see a restored, even an OTT jeep/Gypsy/Contessa to if you see a worked upon commuter sedan.

Second, for that price, there are a lot of better options available before you scrape the bottom of the barrel and look at Ex taxis.

Last edited by mayankk : 25th July 2012 at 23:16.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 23:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post

One line answer: Its a JEEP THING.
download2live is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 00:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Makes no sense whatsoever. First of all mahindra is going to launch the newer version of the logan tommorrow. This will further reduce the values of second hand logans in the market. And by saying this I not at all mean that your friend should buy this proposed vehicle . I am just trying to say that if your friend really wants a logan, he should go to any used car shop and enquire after some days. He will surely get a better offer. Buying a used car which already has 3lac kms on the odo is not at all recommended.

Last edited by dZired : 26th July 2012 at 00:37.
Old 26th July 2012, 00:54   #27
Senior - BHPian

I only just came upon this thread and had a good laugh when I saw the asking price for a taxi that's run 3,00,000 KMS. Damn, I don't know how the seller kept a straight face while quoting that price.

The litany of issues that could potentially crop up with this car as well as reasons for avoiding it have been expounded upon, I won't waste your time repeating it. Tell your to look elsewhere, there's always a great deal to be had. This isn't it.
Old 26th July 2012, 01:39   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

@OP, please stay away. The odds favoring these cars like Logan, Qualis, Lancer etc is that these engines are very robust and last a lifetime of 5+ lacs kms if maintained well.

Well, the engine part is true, but does the engine alone make a car? There are umpteen other components like, drive shafts, transmission parts, bearings, suspension components, bushes etc etc.. and interior wear and tear in parts like steering wheel, pedals, gear lever, seats etc.. All of which will be worn out by ~3 lac kilometers.

Restoring is not only difficult, but cannot be done to factory level perfection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
scopriobharath, IMO, a modern car, even the cheapest, is much..much more complex than a Jeep. The Jeep mechanicals and electricals are so simple that one can use even medium level of expertise to restore it to factory level perfection. Which is not the same with modern cars.

For example, try removing and refitting the dash board of modern cars, and of a Jeep. You'll get an idea about the complexity.
Old 29th July 2012, 09:52   #29
BHPian

No Way ! Eventually he will end up spending a lot on maintenance. 3 Lk kms, that too as a taxi, i am sure its a really bad choice. Better go for an used accent.
Old 30th July 2012, 12:05   #30
BHPian

I think it is amply clear that this is a terrible deal because:

a) 3,00,000 KMs of being driven as a taxi - ie, a car that has been used by about 3,000 people (assuming that an average user of the Taxi will use it for about 100 KMs, including to-from garage, empty running etc).

b) While the Logan is a solid car, it suffers from suspension issues later in its life. Sit in a 3 year old Meru, and you'll see this. And at 3L KM, you can safely assume that this car will have major suspension problems masked by quick-fix solutions 'just to keep the car running' until it is sold. And suspension is just one thing. There will be other niggles that they havent fixed recently because its about to get sold.

c) There are other crazy deals you can get on cars that were market duds, but were fantastic cars - ie, baleno, lancer, cedia, optra to name a few. I saw a 6 year old Optra beautifully maintained with ~60K on the odo was quoted for <3. recently. Double the mileage - at 1,20,000 on the odo, you should be able to get it for less than the price of this 3L driven Logan.

Nip this deal in the bud. This is a terrible deal.

Most Viewed