Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:18   #1
BHPian

Buying a used Logan taxi?

Hi my room mate is planning to buy a used mahindra logan taxi with the following details:

1. Mahindra logan diesel
2. Around 3 years old
3. ODO : almost 3 lakh kms
4. Price : 1.75 lakh

Is it a good deal? He knows the owner of the taxi personally and the owner himself used to drive it.

thanks in advance.
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Buying a used Logan taxi?

For what ? Drill some sense into your friends head and stop him from this purchase. Ask him to save some money and pick up a new car after a few years or even a used car from a private owner. Not worth the headache pal, trust me.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:55   #3
BHPian

That is what i am trying to suggest him too, but its team-bhp members' views that he is looking for.
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:59   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon009 View Post
Hi my room mate is planning to buy a used mahindra logan taxi with the following details:
With all due respect, "Is he out of his mind?". Unless you are getting it for a dirt cheap price of 1 lac or so, it makes no sense at all to jump into this pit. It's going to cost your friend a lot as the engine may need an overhaul by now. Plus it's taxi. No matter how much you know the driver personally - I'm sure it doesn't need any special mention to see how the drivers treat their cars within city or en route to the airport.

Two words - STAY AWAY!
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would say, 1.75 lakhs may be a very good price for a 3 year old diesel Logan, but it is certainly a very, very bad price for 3 lakhs kms done Logan, that has been running as Taxi, diesel or not.
Stay away!!
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:07   #6
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. Mahindra logan diesel
2. Around 3 years old
4. Price : 1.75 lakh

Is it a good deal? He knows the owner of the taxi personally and the owner himself used to drive it.

thanks in advance.
What is the purpose of this purchase? Is it going to be used as a car to be crushed by giant Monster trucks or is it going to be used as a junkyard race car?

Any sane person would stay away from a car done 3 Lakh kms. Unless your friend really wants to do a personal favour to the taxi owner, i don't see any reason why he wants to buy this car.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...3. ODO : almost 3 lakh kms
If this odo reading is the actual/original reading
If the correct engine oil has been used all along
If the engine oil has been changed regularly as per mfg spec
If the engine oil filters have ben changed regularly as per mfg spec
If the timing belt has been changed as per mfg spec
If the coolant level has always been correct (no engine overheating at any point)
If the body condition is good (no rusting/rattling)

then

this is a good buy at this price, because this engine is know to be very reliable/rugged, and it is probably only half-way thru its life-span.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 23rd July 2012 at 13:23.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Around 3 years old
Every BHPian's suggestion at the first instance would be "not good deal at all" even if its a personal relationship basis. The engine has already been through half of its life, and considering that its been used as taxi the maintenance would have been heavy and more expected. Ask your friend to chuck it.

Just curious to know whether your friend wanted for personal use or as a taxi again?
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:09   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with everyone here, it does not sound like a good deal to me. 3 lakh kilometers are way too much and that too in a car that has been driven as a taxi. For a little more money your friend might get private cars with much lesser mileage.

Even if we ignore the engine's wear and tear, and assume it is in healthy condition given the fact that this engine is known to last much more mileage than this if maintained properly but what about other components like Suspension, Cooling system, Braking system, clutch, driveshafts.... All the other stuff might be worn out by now.

My suggestion: STAY AWAY
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

At 3L on the odometer the juice of the car is already gone. So apart from paying the 1.75L that he is being asked for, he needs to factor in the engine work that will come up soon, apart from gear box and i cannot even count what all work will come up along with this, maybe suspensions as well.

Looking at the cost of all that, the deal does not look exciting. Stay away unless you have lots of money to burn, and even if you have, please buy a new one.
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:17   #11
BHPian

Please see classifieds section, you will find much better cars at possibly less or similar prices.

Do not go for a TAXI, if its for personal use.

I bought a third owner, Hyundai Accent (Only run 54k in 8 years) and has many many issues were faced, had bought it for 1.9 from Mahindra First choice & in 2 years spent more than 1L just to keep it in good condition & recently sold it back to dealer for 1L after completing 1.6L km on odo.

If a personally used (Not run much) car can give many problems think what a taxi that too run 3L km will give you. Almost all rubber parts must have been dry, there will be considerable amount of rattle inside the cabin, the seats (Specially driver) will require a imm. replacement as the taxi driver must be seating on it for a day long & its cushioning must be dead.

I can go on like this, but moral of the story, please stop him if he is planning for personal use, if planning to buy it & use it as a taxi or tourist still he will invest more in repair than recovery. SO NO NO IMHO.
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:21   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I would like to understand WHAT it is about the deal thats drawing your friend to it?
the car? not the best
the price? its way high for the mileage and usage
the pedigree? its been used as a taxi! apart from how it was driven, imagine the kind of gunk that there will be!

Last edited by mayankk : 23rd July 2012 at 14:25.
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:24   #13
BHPian

Thanks guys for your time and valuable inputs. Will let him know your views.
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

[quote=mayankjha1806;

... Stay away unless you have lots of money to burn, and even if you have, please buy a new one.[/QUOTE]

+1. I do not see any reason for a person to buy 'headache' for a whopping 1.75 lacs. Trust me the owner shall pay some money to your friend as a compensation for the pain he may be inflicted to.

Few doubts on the car:
1. Why would a Taxi owner sell a car that is giving him a return against his investment?
2. Is there a remote chance of this car being maintained as a BHPian's car? Even then the asking price is too much
3. Why does your friend want a car?
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:34   #15
BANNED

I will say buying an old Taxi is insane. Advise him to donate the money to some charity instead.
sgiitk is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks