Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2016, 20:04   #1
BHPian

First Car for an 18 year old?

Hi

I am 18 years old and it has been close to 3 months since I got my drivers licence I have already covered close to 6k kms in this time and have driven in almost various conditions. My parents have now decided to let me get my own car now. The car I will be getting will be owned for at least 5 years and I will even take with me to my college next year in mangalore. I've come up with a few preferences and choices listed below

Preferences
1-Must be a petrol car
2-Must be fun to drive
3-Well built
4-Should have basic features like power windows and a basic stereo
5-Should have around 100bhp (I think this is decent for a new driver please give your views)
6-Would prefer a manual
7-Should have good mod potential
8-Must be reliable
9- ABS and airbags

The Cars Considered

Polo 1.6 MPI
A close friend had one of these for close to 5 years and he really enjoyed it. I have never driven one so don't know what its like to drive I have also found one for sale very close to my house thats done 50k kms and already has many mods like 16'enkei rims brembo brakes pipercross CAI etc the only hitch is I have to wait till february as the owner is leaving the country.

Polo GT TSI
Test drove one of these recently this was the first time I was driving an automatic car acceleration in manual mode was fun and gear changes were super quick but after a while it was boring also it felt a bit un-natural for me not having a clutch pedal. (No offence meant to any GT owners its brilliant car the problem is with me Im not a fan of automatics).

Laura 1.8 TSI
By far the most powerful car on the list (a bit too powerful maybe?) A bit too big a car for my liking but I have heard that the performance these cars give is un-paralled. Im not too keen on this car since we've already owned a laura TDI in the past but if I find a good example I surely would not mind.

These 3 are the only cars I have considered so far looking forward to receiving valuable suggestions from fellow bhp-ians thank you

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd October 2016 at 09:17. Reason: as per rp
Ferrariwell is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 20:20   #2
BHPian

re: First Car for an 18 year old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrariwell View Post
I am 18 years old and it has been close to 3 months since I got my drivers licence I have already covered close to 6k kms in this time and have driven in almost all types of conditions. My parents have now decided to let me get my own car now. The car I will be getting will be owned for at least 5 years and I will even take with me to my college next year in mangalore. I've come up with a few preferences and choices listed below
An ideal college student car should be no-non sense and low maintenance. I will rule out the Laura.
Another question to ask is. do u need a "big" car for college runs? Will it not make more sense to look at something that gets a little less attention?
In Europe its typical for a guy to pick up a Polo and then use it till he/she graduates and get a job. Its a Maruti in that sense.

I am not aware of the roads and traffic in Mangalore. If its slow moving traffic with ever increasing population, an automatic makes a lot of sense.

For a college student, I would buy a good hybrid bicycle first and a car for only those commutes which can't be done in public transport or bicycle. Bit thats just me

Last edited by GTO : 23rd October 2016 at 18:22. Reason: Trimming quote :)
freedom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 20:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I would suggest you consider the following cars-

1. Ford Fiesta/classic 1.6- recently discontinued so you might get newer cars in the used car market. If you are lucky you might be able to find the 1.6s. It's has decent power, well built, best in class handling and should be easy on pocket too. Ford's after sales service has improved in the recent times.

2. Fiat Linea T-jet- That engine is brilliant + Fiat's build quality is terrific+ excellent handling and ride quality. You might find some problem with the gearbox but it's a matter of getting used to, although it is no match to the GB of other cars on this list. You can source the spare parts from 99rpm and get the work done at a reliable FNG.

3. Honda Civic- The safe bet. It has proven reliability + a lot of mod potential. Parts won't be an issue either. Look for the facelift post 2010.

Other cars like the Lancer Celia are a good option too if you can find a clean example. Finding a clean Laura tsi is very difficult and you don't really want to end up with an unreliable Skoda out of warranty. Good luck!
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 20:47   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
An ideal college student car should be no-non sense and low maintenance. I will rule out the Laura.
Another question to ask is. do u need a "big" car for college runs? Will it not make more sense to look at something that gets a little less attention?
In Europe its typical for a guy to pick up a Polo and then use it till he/she graduates and get a job. Its a Maruti in that sense.

I am not aware of the roads and traffic in Mangalore. If its slow moving traffic with ever increasing population, an automatic makes a lot of sense.

For a college student, I would buy a good hybrid bicycle first and a car for only those commutes which can't be done in public transport or bicycle. Bit thats just me
Nope I don't require a big car at all I had seen a lot of TSI's going for not much money hence I added it to this list we have owned a laura in the past it was a brilliant car but we had a tough time with the A.S.S. But I have heard now that the service is better not sure how true this. Currently I am studying in mumbai next year I may shift to managlore for studies and I plan on driving the car I buy to and fro from mumbai from time to time. Co-incidentally my current mode of transport is indeed my bicycle .

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
I would suggest you consider the following cars-

1. Ford Fiesta/classic 1.6- recently discontinued so you might get newer cars in the used car market. If you are lucky you might be able to find the 1.6s. It's has decent power, well built, best in class handling and should be easy on pocket too. Ford's after sales service has improved in the recent times.

2. Fiat Linea T-jet- That engine is brilliant + Fiat's build quality is terrific+ excellent handling and ride quality. You might find some problem with the gearbox but it's a matter of getting used to, although it is no match to the GB of other cars on this list. You can source the spare parts from 99rpm and get the work done at a reliable FNG.

3. Honda Civic- The safe bet. It has proven reliability + a lot of mod potential. Parts won't be an issue either. Look for the facelift post 2010.

Other cars like the Lancer Celia are a good option too if you can find a clean example. Finding a clean Laura tsi is very difficult and you don't really want to end up with an unreliable Skoda out of warranty. Good luck!
Thank you so much had completely forgotten about the fiesta 1.6. I really like the t jet as well but sadly there is no fiat workshop or dealer in mumbai where I am currently based as far as I know.
Old 22nd October 2016, 20:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

You should ideally include your budget as one of the "requirements."

I think if you're willing to buy a new car, the Baleno RS should be worth waiting for. It'll not exactly be worth getting a new car if you want to sell it in 5 years. You could pass it on to your parents/siblings to avoid hit from depreciation.

If you want a used car, buy a third gen Honda city/civic. If the roads are bad, then buy an old corolla.

If you're the one who has time, money and permission to mod, buy an old Jazz and the 1.5 engine from a used parts dealer, mate them and you'll get a perfect powerful and small car.

Refer FrankMehta's thread. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-engine-6.html)

(The reason I said Jazz instead of Brio is that Jazz is much more spacious)

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 22nd October 2016 at 20:49.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 21:53   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

I am 18 years old and it has been close to 3 months since I got my drivers licence I have already covered close to 6k kms in this time and have driven in almost all types of conditions. My parents have now decided to let me get my own car now.

Preferences
1-Must be a petrol car
2-Must be fun to drive
3-Well built
5-Should have around 100bhp (I think this is decent for a new driver please give your views)8-Must be reliable
If you are sure you need a car to commute to college then safety should be your number one priority - air bags, ABS, crumple zones etc. Given that your driving experience is very low, your energy is high, you want to do Mangalore-Bombay-Mangalore runs and your hormones will push you to try your luck with fast driving, safety should be your first priority. Look at the Jazz or i20 too. Kids driving to college while not unheard of is still quite an exception. Be prepared to get teased and pushed around by the boys. If it is a for a few kms of back & forth then in a mid-sized city like Mangalore a moped or geared bicycle but actually be more convenient.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 22nd October 2016 at 21:58.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 22:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Since mileage and space are not part of your priorities, may I suggest the Honda Brio.It meets all your requirements.

Performance in the low end is substandard but revving the engine will solve that.I feel it's got the best shifting manual gearbox sub 10 lakhs. It ticks almost all your check boxes( I doubt about modding it.)
In case you get carried away, it's electronically limited to 140 kmph which your parents would be glad to know. It's reliable too. In case you take it back to Mumbai, the compact dimensions will work in your favour.
Hope it helps.

Edit: Just realised you owned a Skoda. You may not like the build quality at all. Although it's 90 BHP, power to weight ratio is in the range of the GT TSI.

Last edited by Turbohead : 22nd October 2016 at 22:06.
Turbohead is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 22:04   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am 18 years old and it has been close to 3 months since I got my drivers licence I have already covered close to 6k kms in this time and have driven in almost all types of conditions.

Preferences
1-Must be a petrol car
2-Must be fun to drive
3-Well built
5-Should have around 100bhp (I think this is decent for a new driver please give your views)
6-Would prefer a manual
7-Should have good mod potential
8-Must be reliable
18 y.o., 3-months-old DL, 6k km under your belt, and you think you have driven in almost all types of conditions? Please trust me on this, but you are at one of the MOST vulnerable stages of your driving career. Without adequate training and experience, you are likely to do harm to yourself and other road users with the machines you want to opt for.

Most 100+ bhp sedans and hatchbacks are seriously fast for Indian road conditions, and there should be a law in India which bans people under 25 from driving
  • engines generating more than 75-80 bhp/tonne ;
  • engine displacement more than 1500 cc;
  • turbo petrols;
  • engines modified for performance;
  • vehicles without ABS & airbags.
For your own sake, buy yourself a reasonably reliable car with safety features (even a used car will do), get some more driving experience (at least 2 years / 40,000 km, whichever is higher), and then reconsider buying the ones you've listed above.

Above all, drive safe.
SS-Traveller is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 22:10   #9
BHPian

Try looking at a used Swift. It is fun to drive, reliable and cheap.
Another option could be the old Figo- cheap to buy these days.
If you are okay with Sedans, have a look at the previous generation City. Reliable, fast and looks good.
Good luck.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 22:13   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

This thread is a good reference for your needs.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ars-india.html.

There are a few related threads also. As others have mentioned, stick to a good performing reliable hatch or the entry sedans and hone your driving skills. Since you have just started driving, stick to a manual(which means no gt tsi).

Apart from those already mentioned, One car that stood out from the above thread for your needs is the Toyota Liva TRD Sportivo. Has the power and performance, you should be able to get it cheap, and being a Toyota, should not give you any maintenance headache's. Probably does not have much mod potential though.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 22:42   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
18 y.o., 3-months-old DL, 6k km under your belt, and you think you have driven in almost all types of conditions? Please trust me on this, but you are at one of the MOST vulnerable stages of your driving career.

Please do not get taken away by whatever you have accomplished in driving till now. I had given the licence test on the day I turned 18 and have driven the car in extreme narrow mountains. Still i do make some mistakes which my father immediately recognizes (because he is driving since 1980 till now). And seriously speaking the way licenses are given is a serious blunder. Many of the driving schools don't even teach how to start from steep inclines or for that matter inclines. Driving is a thing which you learn by your experience. Hence my advice will be to go for not so powerful cars. You can use the car for Mumbai-Mangalore trip once in a year or so but kindly do not. This is just my advice.

Regarding the car you may even go for Ford Figo. I own a Fiesta TDCI which has run 95k without any part replacements at all not even brake pads (only filters and oil have been changed).

Last edited by GTO : 24th October 2016 at 11:27. Reason: Typos
kdp95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 23:03   #12
BHPian

I was in your shoes and commuted to college on a car.
Trust me, I was furious driver and so was my circle (mostly) which is quite natural

IMHO, Pick the car with relatively less power than listed with all safety features.
I would have looked on Jazz, Baleno and Elite i20

You can definitely upgrade to any European car later.

Enjoy!
procrastinator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 23:23   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hi
valuable suggestions from fellow bhp-ians thank you
Ferrariwell, you should mention your budget. But looking at your choices, it seems like your cap is around 10-12 lakhs. Which has so many options to choose from. But first things first, you said Mangalore. Now I'm sure Mangalore is no village, but you should make sure the company you buy the car from has a service centre next to your house or your college. This should be the first priority. Also, if you are gonna be taking this on the highway, a few options should be ruled out. The Baleno, due to its light build quality should not be considered. I would normally suggest the Polo GT due to its petrol pot, but the drum brakes kill it for me. Ive never driven it, but i guess you can fall upon your own perception of the car since you have. Moreover, discredit second hand cars unless they are within manufacture warranty for atleast a year. You are a student and you don't want your car to be in the garage when you need it. Also, since your budget looks at 10, don't go for second hand cars. Within this you can get a plethora of options to choose from.

I remember around 2012 i too was given a 10 lakh budget for a car of my liking. My needs were much like yours, but i was just working at that time. So my needs were only going to the gym, office and meeting my friends most days. I chose the Honda City, the previous gen as i wanted a petrol automatic. I would've gone for the Verna, but the Verna's AT gearbox was only a 4 speed which i couldn't live with. The new and the old city, both feel a little plasticky to own. Rough bits and you can find inconsistency car over. Also the engine is rather noisy when revved. But i guess the Vento and rapid could be an option? City aint all that bad besides the above mentioned problems i faced.

Ecosport, Vitara Brezza, Figo Aspire and also Duster could all be thrown in the mix. If you can extend the budget to 15, then Duster and Creta could seal the deal. But if not, within 10 id say Ecosport and Vento/Rapid are your best bet. IM not the biggest fans of hatchbacks. So i normally suggest against it if possible. But whichever car you do get, make sure its top model. All the air bags and safety features are an absolute must for a college student like yourself. Even if your budget comes down to 8, make sure its top model within it. Its imperative you take all the measures to protect yourself and your fellow passengers.

Cars with preference within 10-12 lakhs:
1. Ecosport
2. Vento/Rapid
3. City

And welcome to the driving world, take care and do your utmost to protect yourself and others at all times. Make Team-BHP proud, boy.
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 23:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Since you are planning to bring it down to Mangalore, first decide on where you will be buying it from. Because Mangalore is in Karnataka, and Karnataka is crazy about out of state cars. Literally "out to get you" crazy.

For your car, the Polo is the best bet - top end variant with all safety features. It is a safe car, very stable on the highways and it's got timeless good looks with some mod potential.

Though 'Mangaluru' roads are good, parking and traffic is an issue. So a smaller car is preferable.

And nobody will think twice about a kid bringing a Polo to school. Kids here take their BMWs and Lamborghinis to school.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 00:15   #15
BHPian

There are some very good replies above covering the most important aspects of the kind of vehicle (car or otherwise) that you'll need while in college at Mangalore. I happen to be from Mangalore and here's what I have to say. Some are facts and rest are my personal views.

1. Mangalore is a small city and its very easy to get around in public transport including buses and auto rickshaws that are available in plenty.

2. Since you've decided to go with a car, I would not recommend anything 'big' given the narrow roads and challenges with parking. While the city has developed rapidly and has reasonably good roads with arterial roads being made of concrete, parking will still be a challenge.

3. Car manufacturers state 0-60 or 0-100 but don't always talk about 60-0 or 100-0 which by any measure and any day is far more important. Anyone with 6000 kms of driving experience is still a beginner given our unpredictable driving conditions (or for that matter even in countries with more disciplined traffic). In such a situation focus should be on safety of both self as well as others who share the same roads. 100 bhp is a lot and in my opinion this is a wrong parameter in this particular decision.

4. College means groups and groups means group-think where rational thinking takes a backseat. While you may be a very good driver, that does not always help the co-passenger and backseat occupants are probably thrill seekers given the age factor. Not unusual to see news reports about rental self-drive cars going belly up and the occupants being young somethings with limited driving experience. Airbags, ABS and for that matter any other safety equipment should be right at the top in consideration parameters.

5. In the US, it’s not easy for anyone under 25 to get a rental car and I'm sure the rental companies have good reasons to arrive at that number.

6. As far as specific models are concerned, that would depend on budget after all the above are considered.

Try getting a 'safe' car if you really feel the need for one and enjoy your drives after ensuring others on the road can also have a safe ride.
vikramk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed