Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2017, 17:41   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda City CVT vs BR-V CVT vs Hyundai Creta A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdude View Post
What do you folks suggest as an AT car ?
How about a premium hatchback (Baleno CVT/Jazz CVT/Polo GT) for city drives but something in Rs. 20 to Rs. 30 Lakhs range as a Xylo replacement a few years down the line? That's Rs. 6 Lakhs saved on your city ride deployed into a desirable/expensive highway ride.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 15:17   #32
BHPian

Folks,

Since yesterday evening I have done a TD of quite a few AT cars:

1) Honda City ZX AT
2) Ciaz
3) Elantra AT

Dealer did not have Creta AT but I looked at the Creta without a TD. Here are my thoughts:

1) Honda City ZX AT at 16.78 lacs is way too over priced. Also I felt very claustrophobic driving it. Shortage of legroom and headroom for me since I am 6'1".

2) Ciaz feels like an ordinary car and I fear after couple of years will start rattling and will have zero resale value.

3) I loved the Elantra. Although the petrol AT is 20 lacs it actually feels and drives like a luxury sedan.

4) Creta AT is pathetic fuel efficiency at 9 kmpl.

So I am thinking how about buying a 1-2 year old used Elantra Diesel AT for around 14 lacs ? Those are the prices I have seen for the used Elantra Diesel AT. Also the FE is claimed to be around 18 kmpl.

Please advice.

Thanks.
golfdude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 18:30   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So I am thinking how about buying a 1-2 year old used Elantra Diesel AT for around 14 lacs ? Those are the prices I have seen for the used Elantra Diesel AT. Also the FE is claimed to be around 18 kmpl.
You may be able to get it cheaper, just negotiate, since a 2-year old Elantra would be of the old shape it is no longer relevant in today's scene and vehicles of this segment can hardly be labelled hot-sellers at any point of time.

Gun for 12-12.5 lacs, if the condition is excellent. Remember changing batteries, tyres etc for such cars will be an expensive affair and owners may just want to wash their hands off such expenses in selling off the car as well. The fact that there is a newer, much more improved Elantra out there will make this one a tougher sell so use that to advantage.

Rest its a very reliable, capable vehicle like all Hyundais, so I don't see any problem going for it.
Old 9th May 2017, 22:27   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
You may be able to get it cheaper, just negotiate, since a 2-year old Elantra would be of the old shape it is no longer relevant in today's scene and vehicles of this segment can hardly be labelled hot-sellers at any point of time.

Gun for 12-12.5 lacs, if the condition is excellent. Remember changing batteries, tyres etc for such cars will be an expensive affair and owners may just want to wash their hands off such expenses in selling off the car as well. The fact that there is a newer, much more improved Elantra out there will make this one a tougher sell so use that to advantage.

Rest its a very reliable, capable vehicle like all Hyundais, so I don't see any problem going for it.
Ok.

Do you think new Elantra Petrol AT is worth Rs. 20 lacs ?

Thanks.
Old 10th May 2017, 21:55   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Ok.

Do you think new Elantra Petrol AT is worth Rs. 20 lacs ?

Thanks.
No, but then IMHO neither the creta nor the city are worth their quoted OTR prices. It's more a feature of the goalposts shifting wherein C segment is shifting (shifted?) to D pushing the Ds to beyond 20 big ones.
Old 14th May 2017, 19:27   #36
BHPian

Folks,

I have a big confusion. I have done TD of City AT, Ciaz AT, Vento AT. Also looked at Creta AT. Here are my thoughts:

1) Although City AT is more powerful, more fun to drive, has better resale value etc. I found the Ciaz roomier inside both in the front and rear seat. Both me and my son are tall and I am finding the City tight in space.

2) Vento AT does not have features in Ciaz like touchscreen entertainment, Start/Stop Ignition etc.

Leaving aside the price difference, should I consider the Ciaz just because it is roomier ? Its resale value might be less and might be tad boring to drive but I will have to live with it.

Do I have any other option in Automatic in < 15 lac budget ?

Thanks.
Old 16th May 2017, 11:35   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

1) Although City AT is more powerful, more fun to drive, has better resale value etc. I found the Ciaz roomier inside both in the front and rear seat. Both me and my son are tall and I am finding the City tight in space.

Leaving aside the price difference, should I consider the Ciaz just because it is roomier ? Its resale value might be less and might be tad boring to drive but I will have to live with it.

Do I have any other option in Automatic in < 15 lac budget ?

Thanks.
I posted a reply to this, not finding it anywhere now.
Here are my two cents.
The ciaz maybe (I didn't find it so, as I said in my opening post, we are a tall family too) roomier, but that's at the expense of comfortable and plush seats. They are far more comfortable especially over long drives and bad roads.

The relatively higher resale of the City would definitely be offset by the very high initial cost differential. Besides, am assuming you will use the car for at least 5 years?..by which time resale will be a moot point.

In my opinion, of the two cars, I would've gone in for the ivtec simply for the superior fun to drive quotient and the plush and comfy seats.

Unless you consider the brv, am afraid there's no real alternative in the < 15 lakh bracket.
Old 4th June 2017, 02:22   #38
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

I am in the market for a new car for my sister. She currently drives 2005 Hyundai Santro Xing. Though Santro has never given us any major problem during entire duration of its ownership but the car has started showing its ageing signs and hence the need for replacement.
  • Cars short listed: Creta petrol manual and Creta petrol AT.
  • Price range: About 12-13 lakhs on the road
  • Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations: Tension free ASS. Since it has to be driven by my sister. I would need a bullet proof reliability.
  • Average distance traveled per month: Daily office commute and twice(Monthly) travel back to home (300 km round trip)
  • Where car will be mostly used (city / highway / rough roads etc): 70% City + 30% Highways
  • Chauffer driven / self driven: Self Driven
  • Whether the vehicle will be shared by other members of family: Yes, my father and my sister would be using this car.
  • Any specific requirements from car (ex. Better luggage space, responsive engine, rear seat comfort): The ride should be comfortable and smooth. My sister often gets too handsy with the gears so an automatic would be nice but not sure how is it in the long term since we won’t be selling this car anytime soon. My father (Age: 58) would be using it once my sister moves on the next car in future
  • How long you intend on keeping this car (and how important resale is to you): As long as possible. Resale is not an issue because we don't intend to sell this car. Ever!
Few other clarifications:

-> Mainly I am confused between which variant and gearbox to go with.
-> I know car is overpriced by 1-2 lakh(s) but if it gives a trouble free and peace of mind ownership. I don’t mind paying the premium at all.
-> I so want to go with automatic gearbox but I am not so confident of AMT over CVT. Also I have heard refinement of AT Petrol is not there yet as compared to manual
-> What is the actual mileage that one gets with a manual and automatic gearbox
-> I had inquired with the dealer and he said the waiting period is of 1 month. Is the waiting period normal considering its been long time this car has been launched?
-> I came across a video of 2018 Hyundai Creta with all the refreshed design and improved interiors. Does it makes sense to wait for the updated model to launch?

Please feel free to add any more information, if you feel that would help me in finalizing the variant. Thank you!

Last edited by drive_angry : 4th June 2017 at 02:23. Reason: Formatting correction
drive_angry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 07:32   #39
BHPian

Why are you not considering the jazz vcvt? Take a TAD, you might be surprised by the amount of space inside. Having driven it more than 2000km in 20 days, I can tell you the GC figure is misleading. It has not scraped even once even on some really bad speed breakers. Would suggest you wait for the jazz refresh due anytime soon.
I think it meets all your requirements listed above, hence suggesting the same.
Having changed over to AT, I can say the convenience is unmatched.
handsofsteel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 14:39   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
-> Mainly I am confused between which variant and gearbox to go with.
Easy. Go for Creta AT. It's like asking which is better -> hand operated manual windows or electric power windows.
Old 4th June 2017, 15:07   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Why are you not considering the jazz vcvt? Take a TAD, you might be surprised by the amount of space inside.
I agree with you handofsteel, I had tried persuade my family to at least consider the Jazz but they are too biased towards Creta. I personally dislike AMT over CVT hence the conundrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Easy. Go for Creta AT. It's like asking which is better -> hand operated manual windows or electric power windows.
Thanks for your reply smartcat. I agree for the obvious question but this car is going to be with us for considerate amount of time hence weighing all the options. How durable is AMT gearbox over CVT in the long run? I had gone through Ignis AMT thread and its filled with horrors. So was just skeptical. I would have considered diesel but my daily run would not justify the investment so I am just confused between the variant.

I have just driven MT variant and have request the dealership for an AT test drive. One more thing, what is the average Creta AT petrol owners are getting? I was reading it is as low as 11.x kmpl.

Thanks & regards
Old 4th June 2017, 15:55   #42
BHPian

Quote:
One more thing, what is the average Creta AT petrol owners are getting? I was reading it is as low as 11.x kmpl.

Thanks & regards
11.xx? On the forum, AT owners say 7-8 in City traffic. My neighbor's got a petrol manual. He says never more than 8-9kmpl. His mileage is low so he doesn't really mind.
handsofsteel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 16:00   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I personally dislike AMT over CVT hence the conundrum.
Quote:
How durable is AMT gearbox over CVT in the long run? I had gone through Ignis AMT thread and its filled with horrors.
Creta has 6 speed torque convertor AT and is not an AMT. The AT gearbox on Creta is likely to be as reliable as the car itself. Go for an extended warranty if it bothers you.

Quote:
One more thing, what is the average Creta AT petrol owners are getting? I was reading it is as low as 11.x kmpl.
A rough ballpark number would be -> 8 to 10% lower than manual petrol Creta, in both city and highway driving conditions. But paying Rs. 15 Lakhs for a new car and then worrying about paying Rs. 500 to Rs.800 extra per month on fuel costs does not make any sense.
Old 4th June 2017, 16:02   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I agree with you handofsteel, I had tried persuade my family to at least consider the Jazz but they are too biased towards Creta. I personally dislike AMT over CVT hence the conundrum.
By AMT, are you referring to Creta? If so, that's wrong information to start with!

Creta has a proper traditional torque converter gearbox and not an AMT. Nor CVT. In terms of reliability, TC gearboxes have been around for ages and are very reliable. CVT is very reliable as well, but more vulnerable to service intervals and oil change.

Coming to the driving experience, both have their pros and cons. The TC gives you better torque and good traffic driveability while the CVT is as seamless as it gets due to no physical ratios. Both perform average on the highways.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 18:19   #45
BHPian

Thanks for your correction and help CrAzY dRiVeR, handsofsteel & smartcat.

We now have finalized on Creta CRDI 1.6L Diesel. We intend to take the delivery from Chandigarh. I called up Mr. Pradeep from KLG Hyundai, Chandigarh. He told me that currently manufacturing of Creta has been stopped. I further asked him is it because of 2018 Creta. To which he replied that it is all of GST which is going to be implemented soon and deliveries can only happen from August 2017.

One more question: What is the difference between Creta 1.6L S+ Auto and SX+ Auto, apart from good 93K difference. thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks