Team-BHP > What Car?

Old 4th October 2020, 18:50   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Is an Automatic gearbox a good choice for the hills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post
I've booked a Nexon petrol amt, and am busy going thru the manual. It mentions that in manual mode it'll downshift automatically. Hope that's accurate.
Correct, and same across all AMTs of all vendors. At a lowest possible threshold the logic will downshift even in manual mode to ensure clutch safety and to ensure the engine doesnt stall. Its pretty well calibrated by all vendors and the downshift happens just when you think the engine might be close to stalling.

Note, its still better to downshift manually at the optimum rpm as per your "feeling" of the behaviour, because it will downshift at a much lower rpm in manual mode - As a last resort.
Old 4th October 2020, 18:52   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post
Yaris AT, Rapid/Polo/Vento, New Duster AT, Ecosport AT, V-cross AT, Amaze/City AT...these are the generally suggested examples of the CVT and TC ATs under 15L. Could be something from Hyundai and Maruti also which i am not aware of.

Which of these vehicles you will rate as 1,2,3 purely from hill driving perspective?
As far as CVT is concerned, there really isn't a pure "manual" override, so to speak, but there are versions of CVT having "stepped" progressive alterations, not gears really but just giving a feeling of the revolutions resetting while the CVT with its belt or chain does its usual work, some acceleration response is improved because the belt or chain slipping on purpose and resetting the revs a little. CVT though, in my view is the worst for mountains.

Torque converters indeed have a tiptronic mode, i.e manual override using either paddle shifters or gear stick, they aren't as quick to respond as a pure manual but if you push the gears beyond their comfort zone, they will give you a little bit of push and thrust to make it through the hills, it is quite a workout though and it just feels stupid on occasions, so I leave it at automatic mode mostly.

CVT and TC both are masters of wasting torque, you can have 200+ nm and it'll feel like 100, when put under pressure, the CVT much more so. Also on a personal note, please understand that this is my point of view only, while I'm not a rash driver, I'm comfortable with massive torque output, I've driven 650+ nm torque vehicles and I found them so breezy and effortless to drive.

Most people will be fine with the CVT or torque converter default settings, and can easily adjust to them, I think you should ask for a test drive on a hilly setting if you want the one true answer.

Under 15 lakhs you might as well go for a DCT Hyundai Venue or DCT Kia Sonet, since DCTs have the best torque and most effortless acceleration of all cars.. however please note that their reliability is a huge question mark since dual clutch is robotically manipulated and tends to overheat or just fall apart due to friction (worst case scenario).

Keeping that in mind, I'll recommend Vento/Rapid TC setups first, Duster and Ecosport next, and then finally the Yaris or City. Do take test drives of all vehicles under final consideration before buying. VW/Skoda does a better job of programming torque in an easy manner, combined with the turbo engines, that is my pick since both are essentially the same car.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 08:35   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
CVT and TC both are masters of wasting torque, you can have 200+ nm and it'll feel like 100, when put under pressure, the CVT much more so.
Is this right though? TC gearboxes are known to offer us the benefit of Torque Multiplication since the transmission fluid within keeps slushing around, ready to send torque to your wheels when you tap the accelerator; I find TC automatics to even creep like a diesel would, from a complete stop, sans any 'A' pedal input. My A Star AT for instance creeps up slightly inclined surfaces in that manner even when I don't provide it any accelerator input.
Old 5th October 2020, 11:04   #64
Senior - BHPian

In my experience, an AT is always a better option than manual gearbox for 99 % of the regular car drivers. Its only when the upslope is slushy or excessively dry/sandy that there may be some trouble. I have found that my AT cars including small cars like Micra CVT have done better than my manual cars like Dzire VDI on steep slopes.
Old 25th March 2021, 18:28   #65
BHPian

Slightly off topic..

I am on the lookout for a fuel efficient AMT or a budget automatic car, and after a few test drives, have realized that Hill Hold/Start Assist is a must have for my sort of driving needs.

Do any of the sub Rs.9L (new)cars have this feature apart from Swift, Dzire and Amaze?

Most AMT cars have resulted in significant roll back of the car and had to pull the hand brake and give part throttle even on medium inclines to pull when fully loaded with passengers.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 25th March 2021 at 18:31.
Old 25th March 2021, 18:46   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post

Most AMT cars have resulted in significant roll back of the car and had to pull the hand brake and give part throttle even on medium inclines to pull when fully loaded with passengers.
Use hand brake or footbrake effectively to prevent rollback - Auto hold can give up easily even on vehicles that are more expensive like the Honda City AT etc. I wont rely on it. And on Ghat roads (assuming you are down south), your margin of error is tiny, its a speedy descend afterwards.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 18:50   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Slightly off topic..

I am on the lookout for a fuel efficient AMT or a budget automatic car, and after a few test drives, have realized that Hill Hold/Start Assist is a must have for my sort of driving needs.

Do any of the sub Rs.9L (new)cars have this feature apart from Swift, Dzire and Amaze?
Hey, do check out the Nissan Magnite, all the variants with the Turbo engine have hill hold assist as standard. I belive the XL CVT variant would be in your budget.
Shiftlock is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 09:33   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Use hand brake or footbrake effectively to prevent rollback - Auto hold can give up easily even on vehicles that are more expensive like the Honda City AT etc. I wont rely on it. And on Ghat roads (assuming you are down south), your margin of error is tiny, its a speedy descend afterwards.
While ghats are a rarity, the usual scenarios include driving through the traffic laden hillocks of banjara, jubilee hills within the city. The frequent usage of handbrake will definitely be uncomfortable especially at traffic signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftlock View Post
Hey, do check out the Nissan Magnite, all the variants with the Turbo engine have hill hold assist as standard. I belive the XL CVT variant would be in your budget.
Thanks. It's a little stretch over an already extended budget ,but I sure will check it out. The Kiger with more showrooms, unfortunately doesn't seem to be equipped with the same feature set.
Old 26th March 2021, 14:26   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Slightly off topic..

Thanks in Advance.
This I realised after taking Kicks during my test drive to my parking place at home! Hill Assist, Vehicle Stability Manangement, Traction control, good suspension, auto on/off, tinted glasses became my preferred options OVER 360 camera, Bigger screen infotainment, tyre pressure monitor, sun/moon roof. Which is why I canceled my bookings for Seltos HTX which lacks all these yet more expensive than Nissan Kicks top variant by ₹ 40,000 - ₹ 60,000 and wait for several month fearing another set of price increase, went ahead with Nissan Kicks XV Premium CVT.

For your budget HA,VSM,TC may be avain Toyota Glanza mid variant....
Ramchi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed