Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2018, 18:05   #1
BHPian

Skoda Rapid 1.6 MPI or Ford EcoSport S?

Hi Folks,

I am in a big dilemma since the last one month and it's a heart vs brain thing.

First things first, let me give you a brief background- I owned a Ford Ecosport titanium tdci from 2014 July till about the start of this month. Odo reader when I sold the car was 52,000kms. So that's about 13k kms per year. I was on a Ford TMP till 40k kms and didn't shell out a single penny on maintenance of the car- Infact I think this is a must for a Ford vehicle

Reason for selling: Got a good resale price (6.5L) and there was some anticipated expense on the car soon to come by (read: tyres, brake pad, suspension).

Now the burning question is - what car to buy next?
I honestly don't want to spend more than 14L on a new car. Options I considered-
1. Ford ecosport Facelift Sports diesel (S edition) (well I loved my ecosport and absolutely enjoyed driving it)
2. Hyundai Creta SX(o)
3. Skoda Rapid X edition (1.6 MPI MT)

I dropped the idea of the creta since it's going way over budget. And I honestly like taking top of the line cars only, so compromising on even a wireless charger and sunroof (I know I'm stupid) is a no no
OTR Ford Ecosport S- 13.90L
OTR Skoda Rapid - 11.6L

Now for 2.3 Lakhs additional I get - 6 air bags, kickass sync 3 infotainment system, HID headlamps, push start stop, auto headlamps, sunroof, 17inch alloys, traction control, tyre pressure monitoring system,

Future background: my purchase history and buying pattern tells me that I will again change the car in about 4 years.

Question: heart says ford Ecosport since I am so used to it , absolutely love the drive and am getting many more features. Mind says I'm Skoda Rapid as firstly it would seem like a legit car change, secondly I'm saving up nearly 2 odd lakhs.

Please help!

Last edited by GTO : 18th July 2018 at 10:06. Reason: More typos
girish.purswani is offline   Received Infraction
Old 17th July 2018, 20:33   #2
BHPian

re: Skoda Rapid 1.6 MPI or Ford EcoSport S?

Why don't you have a look at Ecosport Petrol, with your running you can easily live with the Petrol Ecosport and since you are considering the Rapid Petrol, so taking Ecosport Petrol into the equation would be a fair comparison and the prices will also be pretty close. Taking back to back test drives of both the cars in similar conditions will make your decision easier.

If I were to chose, then I would pick the Rapid Edition X, the car looks HOT and 1.6 MPI is very tractable, and city drivability is perfect, although it is not a very fuel efficient engine.
Old 17th July 2018, 22:38   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish.purswani View Post
Hi Folks,
I am in a big dilemma since the last one month and it's a heart vs brain thing.
I don't quite get your dilemma, sure isn't a straight-up "which car?" query. There could've been a simple solution since you didn't spend much on your previous car at all -> you could've changed the tyres, brake pads and suspension bits and pieces for about 30-35k and retained the Ecosport for about 4 more years and saved on a complete budget allocation for a new car, fresh insurance (which typically costs 5-6 times more than a 5 year old car's insurance), fresh road tax etc. Of course if the goal was to buy a new Ecosport just because you like it, then there is no problem.

Its purely your choice at the end of the day, which do YOU like better.. leaving out aspects like cost, usage requirements, mileage etc. If you want a change, go for the Rapid.. it will surely drive better because it is lower slung and is a proper car as you've mentioned. The Ecosport will be better for bad roads and for an SUV feel at a much lesser footprint. Resale for both on %age terms will be neck and neck.

Answer 3 questions and the final choice will be obvious 1) Which looks better from a personal stand of point 2) What is the optimum budget at this time 3) Can this car be driven for the next 4-5 years without getting bored of it.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 23:42   #4
BANNED

My vote goes for the Ford EcoSport. EcoSport is a great product with great build quality, all the bells and whistles and an amazing reliability. The spares for EcoSport will be available everywhere and it will definitely enjoy a greater resale value when compared to the Skoda Rapid. The EcoSport also gives us the confidence to explore the unknown roads because of it's high GC and reliable performance. If your heart says EcoSport, don't compromise because if you go with your brain now, you will feel nostalgic whenever you spot an EcoSport on the roads.
_nitink_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 00:11   #5
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OTR ford Ecosport S- 13.90L
OTR skoda Rapid - 11.6L

Question: heart says ford Ecosport since I am so used to it , absolutely love the drive and am getting many more features. Mind says I'm skoda Rapid as firstly it would seem like a legit car change, secondly I'm saving up nearly 2 odd lakhs.

Please help!
I personally feel that it does not make much sense to go for a VAG group car unless you are getting their best engines, which in the case of the Rapid, is the explosive 1.5 TDI. I will recommend you the Rapid if only you are willing to go for the TDI. But the top-end diesel will be a tad out of your budget and the mid-variant is perhaps something you don't want to end up with. I'd still choose the mid variant of the Rapid as it is decently specked and not as spartan as the Vento Comfortline.

If the choice is between the Ecosport diesel and the Rapid petrol, my vote will be for the Ecosport.

However, since you are willing to stretch up to 14L, why don't you look at the City and the Verna. The City VX should cost you just around the 14L mark and is the best petrol option in the segment. In terms of features when you compare it to the Ecosport, you gain some and loose some. Most notable omissions would be the lack of 6 airbags and android auto/apple carplay. And this is where the Verna steps in. It is perhaps the most sensible choice in the segment and you can't go wrong with it. Even though the high speed behaviour is much improved, it does lack the dynamics of its German counterparts and this is where the City strikes back. But since the Ecosport has a high centre of gravity, it won't as good a corner carver as the low slung sedans.

So, basically I'd suggest the Rapid diesel followed by the City petrol and only then shall I mention the Ecosport, especially when I consider the fact that you have already owned an Ecosport before. The Verna SX/SX(O) petrol is another smart choice and will give you a change and a sense of an upgrade when compared to the Ecosport, and so will the Rapid TDI and the City. Again even the CITY VX is not the actual top-end of the City(though it is for the manual petrol) and the Verna SX(O) will definitely breach your budget.

P.S.- If you are willing to go for an automatic, then the Vento TSI is another option worth considering. While I haven't driven this car, the engine is supposed to be a gem. Though it will be a risky proposition considering the fact that it comes with DQ200 gearbox.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 00:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Now the burning question is - what car to buy next?

Future background: my purchase history and buying pattern tells me that I will again change the car in about 4 years.
We have a Ecosport TDCi in our garage & one of my uncle owns a Polo 1.6 Mpi (same engine as Rapid petrol). The 1.6L power plant might look good on paper but it simply isn't that good on the road, something like the 1.6 Duratec engine from Ford is way better than the VW 1.6L engine. Even while comparing with the TDCi engine, I would say that the TDCi engine is slightly better than the VW 1.6 Mpi engine. The Ecosport will also be cheaper to run as it is more fuel efficient & runs on diesel. If you are going the Rapid way, I would suggest the punchy 1.5L TDi engine. The low slung Rapid will have superior road manners than the tall Ecosport & I believe the Rapid is a bit more spacious on the inside.

I wouldn't recommend buying the same car again, i.e the Ecosport. The new Ecosport might have more gizmos, but the new one would still feel same to drive as the old one. If you really liked the Ecopsort so much, you could have kept the old one as this would have been the most practical option . I would suggest you to go for a different car this time, Rapid/Vento 1.5 Tdi would be my first choice. You could also have a look at the new Verna, it is feature loaded, looks good, & is competitively priced.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 18th July 2018 at 01:20.
chiranjitp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 10:14   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Rapid 1.6 MPI or Ford EcoSport S?

Quote:
Hi Folks
Hi Girish,

This is going to have a lot of links & advice, so please be patient. You are making a lot of wrong decisions and need to read Team-BHP more often .

Quote:
I owned a Ford Ecosport titanium tdci from 2014 July till about the start of this month. Odo reader when I sold the car was 52,000kms.

Reason for selling: Got a good resale price (6.5L) and there was some anticipated expense on the car soon to come by (read: tyres, brake pad, suspension).
If your house suffers water leakage, will you sell the house or repair the leakage? Selling the car because of expected wear & tear replacements isn't wise. You lose a LOT OF MONEY. Here is a detailed article.

Quote:
I dropped the idea of the creta since it's going way over budget
If you would have retained your perfectly running EcoSport and invested the money you are now going to spend on a new car, you could be driving the next-generation Creta in 3 years. At no extra cost. Related article.

Quote:
Mind says I'm Skoda Rapid
You are choosing the wrong engine. That 1.6 MPI under the hood of the Rapid is lame. Within the VAG cars, always pick the 1.5L Diesel or 1.2L TSI (Vento).

Quote:
secondly I'm saving up nearly 2 odd lakhs.
But you just blew 5 - 7 lakhs by unnecessarily selling your EcoSport and buying a new car, which isn't necessarily a segment upgrade .
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 11:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reason for selling
You sold your car because you had an upcoming expense that would have set you back around 50k?

If you can buy back the car, please do it cause you are hurting yourself more by blowing a lot more money on a new car. Unless off course, this is more an itch or an excuse to go by a new car.

Moving on, get the Ford Ecosport. Not because you've owned one in the past. It is the better of the two options you've listed. The 1.6 Mpi is a decade or more old engine and nowhere near as sprightly as some other 1.6l based cars (Not on sale anymore too).
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 11:57   #9
BHPian

Firstly, thank you everyone for trying to help me out on this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
If I were to chose, then I would pick the Rapid Edition X, the car looks HOT and 1.6 MPI is very tractable, and city drivability is perfect, although it is not a very fuel efficient engine.
Thanks Mr.Mitsuvolk. I looked at the ecosport petrol but I am not so convinced with the Ecoboost being offered on the Sports. Hence eliminated it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Answer 3 questions and the final choice will be obvious 1) Which looks better from a personal stand of point 2) What is the optimum budget at this time 3) Can this car be driven for the next 4-5 years without getting bored of it.
@Dark.knight I tried answering the 3 questions and I think the Rapid wins on the 1st question and ecosport wins for the remaining two. I will be explaining the rationale behind me selling the car in the next reply since many of you have asked this question :P (In a nutshell - )

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nitink_ View Post
If your heart says EcoSport, don't compromise because if you go with your brain now, you will feel nostalgic whenever you spot an EcoSport on the roads.
@Nitink- Totally agree. Heart over head 99% of the times. But I am just trying to affirm if the heart is not in the wrong place

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
If the choice is between the Ecosport diesel and the Rapid petrol, my vote will be for the Ecosport.
@AYP- I think I am going to give the Rapid TDI a shot once. City (no offence to anyone) I think doesn't suit me hence I didn't even consider it. I could test drive the verna once and see if it is to my liking. I just get scared of a Hyundai Sedan tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But you just blew 5 - 7 lakhs by unnecessarily selling your EcoSport and buying a new car, which isn't necessarily a segment upgrade .

Firstly I am going to try and explain the rationale why I sold the car (Please bare with me in-case it gets a little long and boring)
I bought the car in 2014 with a 5 year plan on wanting to upgrade my ride when I'd roughly be up for a certain designation in the firm im working for.

When i gave my car for the 50k service (In June) to ford,they told me the following
1. Suspension needed repairs which could go upto 50k alone. I verified this with another ASA , he too said it could go upto 50k ish but he could only be sure once he opens it up. TBH I get scared if the mechanic tells me "Sir once I open it up ill be able to tell you". Cause I know once that is done, I have no option but to agree to whatever the hell he's saying
2. Brake Pads needed to be changed - He gave an estimate of around 4k-5k ish along with labour
3. There was one more issue (Something related to the steering wheel) that I don't quite remember right now , the estimate for that was around 5-7k
Also, I knew the Tyres needed to be replaced as they had completely worn out (Was using the stock still)- all 4 tyres ~ 20-25k depending on what I go for.
Net-Net, this would involve me spending anywhere between 70-90K if all goes south.
Now this is when I thought to myself- If I am selling my car in 2019, i would've clocked 13K Kms more than what the current reading says. The re-sale value that I'd roughly get after another year of usage would be 1-1.5L lesser than what I got right now? (This was a pure guesstimate by looking at other olx ADS for 5 year old similar ecosports that are driven around 65K Kms). I am going to read the other link that you shared explaining the TCO (Although I think Im too late to read it now :P)

So technically, in my head I saved 2L ish (including the repairs and the lesser value I wouldve gotten the next year)
Lastly, all the car dealers, car websites, and even cars24 offered me anywhere between 4.5-5.2L for the car. So upon receiving a direct offer of 6.5L i was thrilled TBH.

Also, I read the link you shared and yes I agree I may have taken a hasty decision and I wish I had read the thread before but personally i think I just needed a reason to change the car

Since all of you have suggested, I will test drive the TDI and look to expand the budget a little and see if I can fit it. Is it fair to assume that the consensus is that if it is the rapid TDI vs the Ecosport diesel sports , rapid wins hands down?

Also thank you so much for the eye-opening replies!

Last edited by Samurai : 18th July 2018 at 15:47.
girish.purswani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 13:11   #10
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Is it fair to assume that the consensus is that if it is the rapid TDI vs the Ecosport diesel sports , rapid wins hands down?
I think most of us will agree with this, though again, the Ecosport has its own advantages as well. Choose the Rapid for better engine, better dynamics, better space, better build while the Ecosport wins when it comes to high GC, more features, better resale, lower maintenance and a cabin which is more modern.
Old 18th July 2018, 13:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Since all of you have suggested, I will test drive the TDI and look to expand the budget a little and see if I can fit it. Is it fair to assume that the consensus is that if it is the rapid TDI vs the Ecosport diesel sports , rapid wins hands down?

Also thank you so much for the eye-opening replies!
I own the new Ford EcoSport T+AT and while it is a very good compact SUV, it is no match for the Vento TSI/DSG or Rapid TDI/DSG. The DSG issues have been sorted out by VW. Choice is between a petrol or diesel.

Vento TSi would be my choice.
Old 18th July 2018, 13:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you would have retained your perfectly running EcoSport and invested the money you are now going to spend on a new car, you could be driving the next-generation Creta in 3 years. At no extra cost. Related article.

I think you just postponed my car purchase dilemma to another three years!
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 14:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Is it fair to assume that the consensus is that if it is the rapid TDI vs the Ecosport diesel sports , rapid wins hands down?
Not really, what the people above meant was within the limited set of parameters, its maybe a yes. Now that you have sold the Ecosport and are set to buy a new car, my suggestion is to expand the pool again. A bunch of people have suggested Vento TSI. Looking at your running, it may be a better option. You may also move upwards/ downwards depending on the requirements - maybe an SCross or the Creta are good options to look at.
Old 18th July 2018, 14:07   #14
BHPian

Do we have any news on the launch of XUV300/S201 ? If it is anytime soon I could even think of waiting to consider that as an option
Old 18th July 2018, 14:20   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Not really, what the people above meant was within the limited set of parameters, its maybe a yes. Now that you have sold the Ecosport and are set to buy a new car, my suggestion is to expand the pool again. A bunch of people have suggested Vento TSI. Looking at your running, it may be a better option. You may also move upwards/ downwards depending on the requirements - maybe an SCross or the Creta are good options to look at.
My Dad has used the vento for 7 years (1.6 MPI AT) and I wouldn't want to buy the same car. I found the S-cross to be small looking and not a sort of a mini-suv. But yeah, let me try and expand the pool a little by including verna, mid-variant creta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks