Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2019, 00:51   #16
BHPian

Re: Diesel Car: Buy 2019 BS4 or wait for 2020 BS6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I was sailing in the same boat too, a month back. With my Linea @ 1,90,000 Kms and Jeep offering some tempting discounts on Compass, I was not very sure on whether I should wait for BS6 or go ahead with BS4 Compass/Harrier now.

But after discussing with few people, I went ahead with the Compass purchase.
Sorry being OT, but can you mention what discounts/ offers did you get with compass. BTW congrats for your new car.
gupta_chd is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2019, 01:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
There is an Option4: Turn the conundrum in your favour. Buy a preowned BS4 at the cusp of the impending VI and benefit from the bulk of market upgrading to BS6. The choice basket must be better to choose from since many would be hastily upgrading.
Hi Vignesh, apologies for chiming in with a query of my own. Is it wise to buy an old used BS4 diesel at this time? Say a car which is 7-8 years old and already depreciated ~60%, or is it prudent to wait till nearer to the deadline?
Old 28th April 2019, 16:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Hi Vignesh, apologies for chiming in with a query of my own. Is it wise to buy an old used BS4 diesel at this time? Say a car which is 7-8 years old and already depreciated ~60%, or is it prudent to wait till nearer to the deadline?
Well, there's no denying that buying pre-owned makes the most FINANCIAL sense at any point of time.

The Bs6 coming would dent the resale of the large diesels we have now.The common consensus and sentiment might drive down diesel desirability in general across the board be it BS6/BS4. Given these facts, getting preowned (if you find a good clean example ) does make for a wiser decision since you are going in with a lesser cash input and hence lesser risk. The car might help you bridge the gap for the next few years over which things would settle down and better alternatives would be available in the new market.

If it's preloved route, it might not be necessary to wait till the very end and you could pick one up starting now whenever you find a clean example.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2019, 20:02   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
Sorry being OT, but can you mention what discounts/ offers did you get with compass. BTW congrats for your new car.
I am not sure about the current month's discount. You can check the below post for the last month's discount,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4561726
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2019, 10:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Are Indian diesel cars going to need periodic DEF(Diesel Exhaust Fluid) refills to satisfy BS 6 norms?
This depends purely on engine design.
Some of the BS IV and BS V commercial vehicles also need DEF. Look carefully the Bharat Benz trucks which are BS V have a DPF tank on the RHS.
At the same time some engines are designed to run without DPF.
My market info is that DPF engines burn a lean mix during light loads and so are far more efficient. DPF is also very cheap, Fleet owners buy it at just above Rs 7000 for a 210 lit drum, small packing should be max 25% more.
Another thing is that if trucks run out of DPF they start running rich, and lock engine between 800RPM and 1700 RPM where as normal idle is 600 RPM, and lower gears can rev upto 2500rpm and higher ratios of 8/9 speed transmissions to 1500, 1700, 2000, 2300 RPM or whatever RPM corresponds to 80 kph in 8,7,6 and 5.
Behaviour should be similar for cars. main thing is they dont leave one stranded.

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 29th April 2019 at 10:55.
Rahul Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 19:21   #21
BHPian

Dears… Thanks for this thread and yeah boy, I have been having sleepless nights doing some tiring research to find a new car apt for an upgrade from a Santro xing in my family for the ladies. I have narrowed on two higher ends Diesels and they are Ford Ecosport and Maruti Brezza. The advantage on the Brezza Diesel due to the AMT option is the priority, but again am confused as the mighty DDIS 1.3 is at the end of production. Should I buy any of these or should I wait for the BS VI ? I request your valuable recommendations and advise.
Old 18th June 2019, 20:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by decode View Post
Dears… Thanks for this thread and yeah boy, I have been having sleepless nights doing some tiring research to find a new car apt for an upgrade from a Santro xing in my family for the ladies. I have narrowed on two higher ends Diesels and they are Ford Ecosport and Maruti Brezza. The advantage on the Brezza Diesel due to the AMT option is the priority, but again am confused as the mighty DDIS 1.3 is at the end of production. Should I buy any of these or should I wait for the BS VI ? I request your valuable recommendations and advise.
Missed to mention - the requirement of diesel with good mileage is because there would be a daily run of 70Kms plus few more now and then. Glanza petrol is also on the list but the dual jet Petrol was boring (not sure if the mild hybrid can assist), Automatic is preferred , but the CVT does not come with SVHS or Manual shift option
Old 18th June 2019, 20:44   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Are Indian diesel cars going to need periodic DEF(Diesel Exhaust Fluid) refills to satisfy BS 6 norms?
While the AdBlue demand is projected to increase exponentially worldwide, I am not sure whether India is ready to implement a country wide distribution of it along with diesel fuel yet. IMO, unlikely in 2020 but may be little while later? But if this is not tackled, how come BS6 from 2020?

Diesel Car: Buy 2019 BS4 or wait for 2020 BS6?-untitled.jpg
(Courtesy:http://www.integer-research.com/indu...adblue-market/)

Advent of SCR makes me think that EGR was a stopgap that stayed for too long, anyway I have it soft-deleted

Last edited by clevermax : 18th June 2019 at 21:09.
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 20:32   #24

This thread helped a lot in my decision about upgrading my car to a diesel SUV. After lot of thought, went ahead and treated myself to the Jeep Compass Limited Plus 2.0 Diesel (black), and there's no looking back.
Got delivery of the new car 2 days back and already clocked near to 1000Kms.
Although many of us might be unsure about how BS6 will pan out in the country next year, here's something I learnt recently from a source close to an Indian petroleum giant.
They're still preparing the paperwork and approvals in bringing the BS6 fuel to India. The 2020 deadline by the Government will probably see many BS6 compliant cars but it is unknown how far the BS6 fuel might reach us by the time.
My 2 cents - Live a little, Live now. If you want yourself a diesel car at this moment, go for it. There'll be no regrets!
aashiqb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 15:10   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
... BS4 diesel engine, this can run on BS6 fuel ...
How did you confirm this? I am yet to see an official comment from an auto manufacturer on this. Lets assume that a BS4 diesel engine can run on BS6 diesel fuel , will BS6 fuel reduce the life/damage the injectors on a BS4 diesel engine.
Old 17th August 2019, 07:24   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I would not worry about BS4 or BS6 were I in the market for a car today.

Ultimately, residual value for your car will depend on market conditions when you intend to sell it. Assuming most people intend to keep a new car for at least 5 years, the fact is that you have no idea what the dynamics affecting the used car market would be at that time. When I sold my petrol Superb two years ago, no one asked me if the car was BS3 or BS4 - or offered a differential
Price because of that.

Should one wait till the BS6 switchover hoping for discounts? Unlike in the last switchover, manufacturers have already dropped deliveries to dealers - and hence it is quite possible that the model you want or color you want is not available in BS4 at that time. And yes, the BS6 version will be somewhat costlier. Given the pressure on the auto industry right now, I suspect you will get a good deal - so if I were in the market for a car, I would buy it now and not wait.

However, that does not mean you go out and buy a car you don’t need just to benefit from lower prices. Cars are depreciating assets - and the first year depreciation on your new car will be much more than your 6th or 7th year depreciation on an older one.

Last edited by Hayek : 17th August 2019 at 07:26.
Hayek is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 08:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

I guess manufacturers are waiting for the upcoming festive season to clear all the BS4 stocks.

If there's still a lot of inventory pile up, then we can expect discount sale. Hence being in touch with friendly sales advisers is the key.

--

All our BS2, BS3 engines worked fine on BS4 diesel; the question is what if pollution kept spiking and government/court announces later that only BS6 vehicles to be allowed to ply in the cities?
Old 17th August 2019, 11:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
While the AdBlue demand is projected to increase exponentially worldwide, I am not sure whether India is ready to implement a country wide distribution of it along with diesel fuel yet. IMO, unlikely in 2020 but may be little while later? But if this is not tackled, how come BS6 from 2020?

AdBlue is already available in many pumps, and shops all over the country, as many BS IV and higher trucks already use it. Only thing is that the quantity being distributed will increase.
Lastly the current BS IV vehicles are not suddenly going to start drinking AdBlue, only newer cars will need it. So it will take time for he demand to pick up.

Rahul
Old 17th August 2019, 20:05   #29
BHPian

This is the last chance and the best time (more towards 2020 for stock clearance discounts) to get a low cost and low running cost BS4 DIESEL engines. Also the chances there for higher resale value after 2020 for these cars too.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 17th August 2019 at 20:08.
Old 18th August 2019, 21:08   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
How did you confirm this? I am yet to see an official comment from an auto manufacturer on this. Lets assume that a BS4 diesel engine can run on BS6 diesel fuel , will BS6 fuel reduce the life/damage the injectors on a BS4 diesel engine.
I discussed with few people in FCA and they confirmed that BS4 engine can run with BS6 fuel. Will it have any impact in the long run?! This I am not sure.

In my case, Compass meets the Euro6 norms. So, its already closer to BS6 norms and hopefully this shouldn't cause any issues in the long run.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks