Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2020, 19:15   #16
BHPian

Re: Fast & fun used hatchback for 5 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
What's happening there?

The labour costs include other preventive maintenance tasks as per schedule and is not limited to replacement of parts (eg: cleaning of brake shoes , inspection of tyre wear / pad wear , lubrication of hinges etc.).
Old 29th November 2020, 20:12   #17
BHPian

If you want to go in the route of a new car, i would happily suggest the Spresso, I currently own one in top manual variant and its a hoot to drive, I know it's received some bad press recently but other than that it's like a pocket dynamite and not to mention its easy dimensions are excellent for city rides and it gobbles potholes like cherries.
Old 29th November 2020, 20:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Revs View Post
Buy an Abarth Punto and live happily everafter. If you love hot hatches then nothing comes close. Solid analog feel ( missing in new cars), sturdy build quality, performance, GREAT Braking. They don't build cars like these nowdays.
Since Safety is quite the buzzword now, I would like to point out that the Punto failed the EuroNCAP test in 2017, indicating that the earlier design of over decade ago which scored 5 stars wasn't good enough anymore. Therefore Safety may/should not be a big consideration as far as Punto goes. The Abarth part of it will be more compelling though.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 29th November 2020 at 20:36.
Old 29th November 2020, 20:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Pretty much all options have been listed. Do check out the Etios Liva too. That hatchback is fun too and light on the pocket with reliable engineering.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 23:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkumarblore View Post
Hello @ GTO,
Thanks for your advice. Just found this ad on olx. I'll probably go and have a look at it if it's still available. Since I don't have much experience with VW cars, can you please advise on what are the important things I should check in this car.

I've found this on #OLX. What do you think? VW Polo GT TDI 1.6 Engine - 2013 http://www.olx.in/item/vw-polo-gt-td...iid-1532634132

Thanks again.
The car in the ad seems to be a nice choice for you. I know that the Polo is low slung and is low on rear space, but its the most fun to drive car you can get in your budget, period. Such a low run 1.6TDI is quite rare, and if you manage to get it in your price, nothing like it.
Also its so mod friendly, right from free VCDS tweaks, to OE Euro Parts, Big Brake Kits, to the other end of the spectrum with Jetta CR140/ Passat CR177 2.0TDI Turbo and Intercooler upgrades pushing the engine close to the 200whp mark. Most of these mods are plug and play, and a lot of people do it.
You can have INSANE fun with it. Even a simple remap transforms the 1.6TDI, and for a diesel engine it sounds good while revving, and also revs freely. It also returns very very decent mileage even after the mods.
Also your kid will love the push in the seat feeling thanks to the bucketloads of torque, and the little mods will keep him hooked to what is truly a special car.
Old 29th November 2020, 23:03   #21
BHPian

If you find the figo to be low, try the swift diesel. For your purpose and knowing Bangalore traffic, don't go for naturally aspirated engines. Find something with a turbo to close those small gaps quickly. Swift, Figo diesel offers these and are reliable. Swift additionally will hold up value in case you want to swap after a year or two.
Old 30th November 2020, 00:34   #22
BHPian

No car under 5 lakhs can be described as fast. If you want the best steering feel, get a non power steering Maruti 800 (used of course). It's so direct. Even sports car owners in Western countries will be jealous of you, as their EPS Civics, Miatas, Porsches, Ferraris etc. no matter what car, no matter how well tuned, cannot offer anything even close to that feeling.
Old 30th November 2020, 01:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Etios Liva 1.5 P TRD edition - Small, fast, cheap, reliable, reasonably efficient (if driven like a Saint), and has mechanical connection.

Problem is finding one in the used market.
Old 30th November 2020, 09:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Etios Liva 1.5 P TRD edition - Small, fast, cheap, reliable, reasonably efficient (if driven like a Saint), and has mechanical connection.

Problem is finding one in the used market.
I couldn't find one when it was being sold itself!
I remember enquiring at the showroom and they hadn't even heard of this car and I had to explain to them and they were still clueless.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 11:13   #25
BHPian

All the requirements sum up to one car, the Abarth Punto. If there is a good and reliable service centre near your location, the Abarth won't be a bad choice. It's fast, has all the basic features which other cars in the segment offers, it's built like a tank and above all, it will ensure a wide grin on your face everytime you take it out for a spin. I still remember the TD I took, one term to mention the car is "Mind-blowing".
Old 30th November 2020, 15:34   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya180 View Post
The car in the ad seems to be a nice choice for you. I know that the Polo is low slung and is low on rear space, but its the most fun to drive car you can get in your budget, period.
Hi, thanks for your feedback. Well before seeing the car in the ad, we sat in another Polo and were very disappointed with the rear space. With me in my driving position(I am 5ft 9in), my driver who is about 5ft 8in was sitting very tight behind me. When we swapped places, It was just very very tight for me. I am sure I couldn't have managed for more than 5 minutes in the rear. My elder son is 5ft 11in and my younger 13 year old son is already 5ft 8in and my wife is tall too. It seemed like an impractical car if all 4 of us travelled together in the Polo. But of course, there's no beating the 1.6 GT TDI's driving thrills I guess.
So we decided to buy the latest gen Ford Figo which offers very good space in the rear and the 1.5 TDci is powerful too. May not be a scorcher like the Polo, but is more practical to me. I am taking delivery of a pre-owned 2017 Model Diesel Titanium on Wednesday. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshm619 View Post
The Ford Freestyle 1.5 is a good choice considering your requirement.It can easily tackle craters in Bangalore and is quite fun to drive.
I own a Freestyle 1.5 and the service costs are much lesser than peers ( even when it comes to EcoSport / Endeavor) , and maybe the cheapest of all.My 20K service costed less than 5k.It is fast,reliable and cheap .

Screenshot of 20k / 2 year service attached.
Hi, thanks for your feedback.
I chose the Ford Figo over the Polo 1.6 GT TDI purely for space reasons.
I am taking delivery of a pre-owned 2017 Figo Diesel Titanium on Wednesday.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st December 2020 at 04:13. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Pkumarblore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 23:19   #27
BHPian

I personally would recommend the Figo/Freestyle as it would be cheaper to repair and can take a beating. The other option would be the Tiago JTP which is really fun to drive around.

IMO, I really hate the diesel clutch of VW Polo. Long travel makes it difficult to drive in the city and the clutch is little painful (kickback).

Other option you can consider is the Punto 90 BHP (post 2012 models) which would be cheaper than 5 lakhs. Long travel clutch is present in this, but it has a reliable chassis, potent engine and can be serviced at a good FNG.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks