Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2020, 15:18   #1
BHPian

Fast & fun used hatchback for 5 lakhs?

Hello T-BHPíans,
I need a recommendation from forum members on replacing my 2008 Hyundai i10 AT.

Prelude:
This pre-owned 2008 i10 AT was bought by me in 2017 and I am the 2nd owner. It was bought because my wife said one day that she would start to drive and my elder son also started to learn driving. My primary car was an XUV5OO then and now it is replaced with an Alturas G4. So the i10 AT was an ideal choice considering it could also serve as a good second car at home for the weekend shopping and other short trips. The ODO reading was about 44k when we bought it.

Present day scenario:
Current ODO reading = 50,000 kms
The 6k odd kilometers were mostly put by me and my son. My wife has more or less decided that she is happy in the passenger's seat. Blame it on Bangalore's infamous traffic.

Now the second car at home has become an absolute necessity. The i10 AT is a practical car to drive around in the city with its small foot print, but its no fun to drive car. Probably my car is showing its age after 12 years. I have spent considerable amounts of money in replacing the AC Compressor, Battery, all 4 tyres and regular servicing. Since both me and my son like to drive fast and powerful cars, the i10 is getting boring nowadays(no offence to the car or i10 owners). We both also miss the manual transmission. And not to mention the i10 AT is a gas guzzler. My son hates it since it drains his pocket money.

So we have more or less decided to let go of the i10 AT and pick something fast and fun to drive hatch. It could be a either a new or a pre-owned one, petrol or diesel. My budget is not more than 5 lacs(but can be stretched a bit if its worth). Though we have not shortlisted any choices, the following were considered:-

1. VW Polo
Great car, but the downside is its low slung seating(I am not comfortable in it). My son is head over heels on the GT TSI.

2. Ford Figo
The 1.5TDci diesel is fast and fun. I had it for about a year in the past. Enjoyed it. But again the GC is terrible and it is low slung too.

3. Tiago
Promising. Can buy a new one, but it would one segment lower than the i10.

4. Ecosport
Many told me you already have the Alturas, then why another compact SUV. It should be a hot hatch.

Any other choices, please chip in.

Cars not considered are:-
1. Swift/ Ritz / Wagon R / Ignis
2. Grand i10 / i20
3. Brio
4. Fiat Punto / Abarth

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Pkumarblore : 20th November 2020 at 15:20.
Pkumarblore is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 15:27   #2
BHPian

re: Fast & fun used hatchback for 5 lakhs?

Few cars that come to my mind are:
1. Polo GT TSI
2. Baleno RS (not sure if it's still on sale)
3. Figo Twins
4. Honda City
5. Used Punto (Abarth)

Your son is quite lucky!

All the best!
Sreesh1009 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 15:39   #3
BHPian

In order of preference
1. Baleno
2. Tiago or Figo
3. Ignis (I know, not considered but it is worth a try)
4. Nissan Magnite?
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 16:25   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkumarblore View Post

good second car at home for the weekend shopping and other short trips.

Blame it on Bangalore's infamous traffic.

Now the second car at home has become an absolute necessity.

The i10 AT is a practical car to drive around in the city with its small foot print.

but its no fun to drive car.

I have spent considerable amounts of money in ....

Since both me and my son like to drive fast and powerful cars,

We both also miss the manual transmission.

And not to mention the i10 AT is a gas guzzler.
Your need:
(Please correct me if I am wrong)

- A second car for short trips in Bengaluru Traffic Scenario.
- Preference given to small size ideal for city.
- Fun to drive
- MT preferred
- Light on the pocket
- Good FE
- Can be either new or pre owned

You already like the Figo’s peppy 1.5 Turbo Diesel. Club that with a bigger GC of 190 mm and other tweaks, and you get a nice Freestyle. That too with a 5speed Manual. A car that ticks all the right boxes. GC means you get the best of both worlds here. You can easily get a pre owned one that fits your budget. I know it is not the most pocket friendly car but you know what they say:

Fast and Cheap is not Reliable
Reliable and Cheap is not Fast
Fast and Reliable is not cheap

Other options: i10NIOS (Great package) / AURA (if you can stand that design), BALENO RS (Still a Tin Can); I would choose the Tiago/Tigor JTPs over Abarth Punto, considering the ease of maintenance, and then there is obviously the Polo and Rapid.
EightSix is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 09:49   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So we have more or less decided to let go of the i10 AT and pick something fast and fun to drive hatch.
Fast & fun under 5 lakhs. Would go for the Ford Figo / Aspire as the top choice because they are flops (hence suffer high depreciation), have better reliability than the VWs and are lots of fun. Spinny has one that might be worth checking out.

Would also strongly recommend the Polo 1.6 TDI if you can get your hands on a nice piece. That was a stonker of a hatchback. Very fast, too much fun, extremely mod-friendly (just ask Gannu_1).

You can't go wrong with either of these for 5 lakhs.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 13:04   #6
BHPian

Re: Fast & fun used hatchback for 5 lakhs?

With a budget of 5lac in Bangalore you might get a Figo Diesel Titanium+ with low odometer readings and is fun to drive and at the same time fuel efficient too.
Polo GT TSI would be more fun to drive but would not be cheap to maintain like the Figo if you service it in the authorized workshop.
Please do search for used Freestyle too as it offeres almost everything of the Figo plus some added benefit like the ground clearence and some extra features.
Sahilrai166 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 22:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fast & fun under 5 lakhs. Would go for the Ford Figo / Aspire as the top choice because they are flops (hence suffer high depreciation), have better reliability than the VWs and are lots of fun.

Would also strongly recommend the Polo 1.6 TDI if you can get your hands on a nice piece. That was a stonker of a hatchback. Very fast, too much fun, extremely mod-friendly (just ask Gannu_1).
Hello @ GTO,
Thanks for your advice. Just found this ad on olx. I'll probably go and have a look at it if it's still available. Since I don't have much experience with VW cars, can you please advise on what are the important things I should check in this car.

I've found this on #OLX. What do you think? VW Polo GT TDI 1.6 Engine - 2013 http://www.olx.in/item/vw-polo-gt-td...iid-1532634132

Thanks again.

Last edited by Pkumarblore : 22nd November 2020 at 22:13.
Old 29th November 2020, 10:10   #8
BHPian

I am assuming this is for your son. Over gizmos, fun factor and space, please prioritise safety.

Tiago is 4 star rated. Polo GT is considered safe too.
No Baleno or any other hatches from Maruti or Korean stables.
charanreddy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 10:15   #9
BHPian

I am in this same situation too. A second car for the house, 5-7 Lakh budget. And being a Petrolhead I am automatically looking for a fun to drive car. I was head over heels for the GT TSI as it is the perfect car for a first time owner and it has tremendous mod potential. However, the nearly new or well maintained ones are over my budget. Since I will have to settle with an earlier model I decided to look at other cars too of similar age. And after doing a couple of test drives I have decided on a Laura or Jetta TDI(soon to become Dieselhead ). If the size of the car is not a concern I urge you to TD some cars, I was sold after the first 5 minutes in one
KA19Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 10:15   #10
BHPian

Buy an Abarth Punto and live happily everafter. If you love hot hatches then nothing comes close. Solid analog feel ( missing in new cars), sturdy build quality, performance, GREAT Braking. They don't build cars like these nowdays.
Unless of course you require and oil-burner in which case Polo 1.6TDI or Figo TDCI will meet your requirements.
Heart_Revs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 11:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hello T-BHPíans,

2. Ford Figo
The 1.5TDci diesel is fast and fun. I had it for about a year in the past. Enjoyed it. But again the GC is terrible and it is low slung too.

Any other choices, please chip in.
The Ford Freestyle 1.5 is a good choice considering your requirement.It can easily tackle craters in Bangalore and is quite fun to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post

I know it is not the most pocket friendly car but you know what they say:

Fast and Cheap is not Reliable
Reliable and Cheap is not Fast
Fast and Reliable is not cheap

I would choose the Tiago/Tigor JTPs over Abarth Punto, considering the ease of maintenance
I own a Freestyle 1.5 and the service costs are much lesser than peers ( even when it comes to EcoSport / Endeavor) , and maybe the cheapest of all.My 20K service costed less than 5k.It is fast,reliable and cheap .

Screenshot of 20k / 2 year service attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Fast & fun used hatchback for 5 lakhs?-service.jpg  

maheshm619 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 12:24   #12
BHPian

I have a Figo 1.5 AT
If I am not wrong, one of fellow TeamBHP member in Bangalore wanted to sell his Figo 1.5 AT. Please check giri1.8's ownership thread.

If you want to AT way again !

Last edited by prasanna_indaje : 29th November 2020 at 12:26.
Old 29th November 2020, 16:54   #13
BHPian

I would suggest the Figo 1.5 diesel. Service is actually cheap, spares are not expensive and the 1.5 is an absolute blast to drive, it may not handle as finely as the old figo but still it is pretty nimble and the good mileage is an added bonus. The Freestyle is a good alternative with more ground clearance, with the same mechanicals.

The 1.5 is an old-school engine and it is pretty reliable as well. So I would suggest the Figo. After couple weeks, if you feel like it, a tuning box ( or a good remap ) will make it pretty much untouchable on the road.

Last edited by SaiSW : 29th November 2020 at 16:57.
Old 29th November 2020, 17:40   #14
BHPian

I have a Ford Figo TDCi and I must say that's the best car you can get in this budget. The diesel motor is pretty powerful, matured and extremely fuel efficient (25 kmpl to 15 kmpl range). It's a reliable motor and pretty cheap to maintain. Built pretty solid and good ride and handling. Also, braking is really good.
Old 29th November 2020, 18:52   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshm619 View Post
I own a Freestyle 1.5 and the service costs are much lesser than peers ( even when it comes to EcoSport / Endeavor) , and maybe the cheapest of all.My 20K service costed less than 5k.It is fast,reliable and cheap .

Screenshot of 20k / 2 year service attached.
The labour cost is almost 1.5x times the parts cost. What's happening there?
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks