Re: Punto 90HP replacement | Ford EcoSport vs Maruti S-Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
The TDCI Mill of Ford cannot hold a candle to the Venue diesel
Ford vs. Hyunda
Engine Size: 1.5 vs. 1.5
Power: 99 bhp vs. 99bhp
Torque: 205 Nm vs. 240Nm
The Venue diesel comes with FGT instead of VGT & hence lower power (99 bhp vs. 115ghp). Else, it is the same engine that powers the Creta
I feel you haven't driven the 1.5L of Ford. On Paper the Hyundai Mill would be ahead, but it's more than that to cars, as we have seen multiple times. The way Ford motor delivers its power, be it at low or mid range is exemplary.

That said, the OP never wanted a Hyundai due to it's susceptible build quality, and wanted a solidly built vehicle to replace the Punto, so let's keep the discussion centred around Ecosport and SCross.

Quote:
The OP is making a good choice in the S-cross petrol that provides higher power 105 bhp and has a healthy lower end grunt.
Again, don't just go by the paper figures. Straight line or In-Gear, the diesel of Ecosport delivers better than the S-Cross petrol. If it was S-Cross 1.6, it would have been a completely different case. That said, overall I felt the Ecosport to be a better product, considering the ride and handling balance, and the plethora of safety features on offer.

Quote:
THe lower grunt in S-cross petrol is what has made me buy it. Taking delivery this Saturday!
Congratulations, Hope you have wonderful times ahead with it.
Old 23rd March 2021, 14:11   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I feel you haven't driven the 1.5L of Ford.

Again, don't just go by the paper figures. Straight line or In-Gear, the diesel of Ecosport delivers better than the S-Cross petrol. If it was S-Cross 1.6, it would have been a completely different case. That said, overall I felt the Ecosport to be a better product, considering the ride and handling balance, and the plethora of safety features on offer.

Congratulations, Hope you have wonderful times ahead with it.
Have driven the 1.5 L petrol of Ford and the low end grunt of S-cross petrol was better. Hence chose the S-cross. Since I was looking at a petrol car to supplement the diesel Verna, did not consider the 1.5L Diesel of Ford.

For me, if it is an automatic, the Ford Ecosport would have been the choice
For the manual, with 4 disc brakes, a 4-cylinder petrol engine and lower end torque plus being a bigger car, The S-cross petrol won the bout on the manual petrol car
Old 23rd March 2021, 14:30   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have driven the 1.5 L petrol of Ford and the low end grunt of S-cross petrol was better. Hence chose the S-cross. Since I was looking at a petrol car to supplement the diesel Verna, did not consider the 1.5L Diesel of Ford.

For me, if it is an automatic, the Ford Ecosport would have been the choice
For the manual, with 4 disc brakes, a 4-cylinder petrol engine and lower end torque plus being a bigger car, The S-cross petrol won the bout on the manual petrol car
I have never driven the new petrol Ecosport, so can't comment on that. In terms of power train you might be right, and if it was only about petrols, even I would be inching towards the S-Cross. Diesel as stated earlier, is a completely different story.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd March 2021 at 17:20. Reason: typo
Old 29th March 2021, 18:59   #34
BHPian

Got delivery of the Nexa Blue S-cross Zeta MT petrol on Friday. The low-end torque of the car engine is amazing. Very good and nice to drive.

It is diesel-like in low-end torque, where the release of clutch in 1st gear pushes forward more like a diesel than the Swift Petrol. Definitely very pleased with the engine
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:52   #35
KPR
BANNED

Three months back I started this thread asking members for their opinion on whether to purchase S Cross or Ecosport TDCi to replace my Punto Evo. In the past three months we entered into several dealerships and test drove cars in 10 to 14L range viz., Yaris, Honda City, Nexon, SCross, Ecosport and Rapid. After assessing pros and cons we booked Zeta S Cross. The plan was to wait until 31st March 2021. There was delay in allocation from dealer. During first week of April ’21 we had other commitments at home and deferred our delivery of S Cross to June ’21.

During last week of April '21 we all discussed in elaborate to decide on what to buy considering the alarming rise of 2nd wave of Covid pandemic in India. We thought it is not right to spend so much amount of lakhs on a car. The outcomes were:

1. We decided not to trade off our Punto as there is a need for second car for my wife’s local commutes with children. So we decided to restore Punto back to glory by spending close to 20k on new parts and regular service. Now the car is back after all necessary parts change and servicing completed.

2. We felt that there will not be highway drive at least for the next few years. So we decided not to splurge this 11L on a bigger car but to save hard earned money. So with Punto in garage for rarest highway run that may come and in order to take care of both our daily car needs we thought why not get an Alto 800 as a second car? (We had that attachment with Alto 800 as it was our first car from 2009-12). The decision was made with some calculations and data revealed a lot to curb our desires. So it has to be an Alto 800.

I called all 3 dealers in my town Trichy and to my surprise none had stock of VXI+ or VXI in Red colour (our colour of choice)! My friend somehow could help us to get hold of a Red VXI variant in stock but in another town 50 Km (Perambalur) from my place. VIN stated March'21 manufactured and sales executive said it was unloaded by mid of April '21 in their premises. So I made payment of 4.5L on 28.04.21 (Wednesday) by just looking at the photos and trusting the sales guy and the car Alto itself. The car was door delivered on Friday afternoon after completing formalities. We are so much happy about the car and decision.

Now that we’ve driven close to 150 Km on this car what I can say is MS has done absolute magic with F8D - BS6 engine tuning ! In simple words 'there is no lag with AC in 3 points and 3 adults occupied'. It is that peppy and it is totally opposite to what Alto is known for.

Sharing here few photos of Red.
Photos as received from showroom.
Punto 90HP replacement | Ford EcoSport vs Maruti S-Cross-3.jpg

Punto 90HP replacement | Ford EcoSport vs Maruti S-Cross-2.jpg

Punto 90HP replacement | Ford EcoSport vs Maruti S-Cross-4.jpg

On the day of door delivery
Punto 90HP replacement | Ford EcoSport vs Maruti S-Cross-1.jpg

It all started somewhere but ended here with this little red boy. Hope to add more details on this humble car ownership soon.

Last edited by KPR : 3rd May 2021 at 11:55.
KPR is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks