Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2021, 23:59   #1
KPR
BANNED

Punto 90HP replacement | Ford EcoSport vs Maruti S-Cross

As the title suggests I'm in a confused state on which one to choose as my next car.

I'm not a fan of Turbo petrol as they offer very low mileage. Also, I cannot live with cars like VW or Skoda owing to their very costly maintenance. So zeroed on these two cars. Budget is at 11L. No sub 4m car this time except Ecosport for it's relevance to my Punto 90hp in build quality. Need high stance cars only so Yaris, although at this budget, is ruled out. Rear seat comfort and design of Nexon we don't like. Sonet isn't attractive to us either. Moreover, both Nexon and Sonet are sub 4m only. Decently packaged Creta and Seltos are costly and we aren't convinced with their designs as well. So zeroed on these two cars:

Ecosport Titanium diesel vs SCross Zeta. Need feedback on build quality, safety and low on maintenance. My running will be close to 15000 per year. I loved both the diesel and petrol engines. Scross interiors don't put me off as coming from a Punto I'm not a fan of too many gimmicky features. Kindly help pl.

Last edited by navin : 16th February 2021 at 11:07. Reason: typos, formatting and grammar
KPR is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 16th February 2021, 00:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Punto 90HP replacement | Ford EcoSport vs Maruti S-Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Kindly help please.
I’m not very sure if you’ve been behind the wheel of turbo-petrols, but let me tell you that some of them are nothing short of pocket-rockets. Mileage usually hasn’t been a problem with numbers usually hovering around 14-17KPL in the VW Vento.

Regarding your current choices.

Ecosport: Usually has been touted as a pretty safe car but recent doubts about other Ford’s safety is a bit unsettling. Pretty fun-to-drive and a good handler. Both petrol and diesel are good options. However, one thing that makes me uncomfortable is the less legroom.

S-Cross: It is unlike like any other Maruti product. The S-Cross is a pretty competent vehicle although it’s pretty old now. However recently one of my uncles brought a S-cross Zeta and is happy with that. Build quality is much better than other Maruti. One thing I did notice is that the car is not wide enough to fitthree full size adults.
akash_v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 00:57   #3
BHPian

Quote:
As the title suggest I'm in a confused state on which one to choose as my next car.

I loved both the diesel and petrol engines. Scross interiors doesn't put me off as coming from a Punto I'm not a fan of too many gimmicky features. Kindly help pl.
Hi KPR,

Given your running I think you should go for a diesel. Yes, I know they are costlier to buy but the extra kmpl, longer tank range and the additional torque is totally worth it IMHO

Now from one ex-Punto 90hp owner to another, I booked the Ecosport TDCi as you already know. Same boat as you a month ago and even though the Nexon was great the Ecosport was a just a tad bit more relevant to the Punto dynamically.

I have not driven the S-Cross hence cannot comment, but the original one used to be on my wish list because of the 1.6MJD.

Unfortunately I feel we do not have many options other than the Ecosport and Nexon when compared to the Punto. I would suggest the Ecosport if you are okay to live with lesser interior space when compared to the Nexon.

Alternatively, for what it is worth do check out a few videos on the Kia Seltos Diesel HTE. I feel it is VFM variant in the Seltos lineup. (~ a lakh costlier than the Ecosport Diesel Titanium)

Last edited by Shanksta : 16th February 2021 at 01:05.
Shanksta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 01:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Of 3 aspects you mentioned (build, safety and maintenance):
- Safety wise, Ecosport Titanium variant may offer just slightly better build of metal parts vs S-Cross/ Brezza and the advantages of 6 airbags etc. is missing in this variant. I consider both cars at par if 6 airbags are ruled out.
- Maintenance wise, Ford is said to offer the lowest service cost for all its cars in their respective segment. But it can not match the reach of Maruti network.

>4m car (4.3m) offers a feeling of upgrade in terms of overall space offered and the size.

Things you may appreciate the most in S-Cross after experience with a Punto diesel:
- Space (>4m car).
- Refinement of petrol engine.
- Cruise control.
- Functional storage spaces (front armrest, mobile, bottle holder in doors, rear armrest, front cup holders away from gear lever).
- Electric folding mirrors.
- 10 Cabin lights (front map lamps, rear seats, boot, glove box, mobile area, footwell, both vanity mirrors). Every space is illuminated.
- Android auto/Apple CarPlay for navigation.
- Bluetooth streaming of music.
- Reverse camera+sensors.
- Tilt and telescopic steering. Better driving position.
- All 4 disc brakes. Braking quality of punto is best though with no other match in my opinion.
- Head unit with video player (only when car stationary and hand brake pulled).
- Front and rear armrests are usable.
- Isofix mounts.

Most of these features are lacking in EcoSport Titanium.

Edit- Regarding petrol vs diesel, post BS6 equation has changed as diesels have extra hardware and require some extra considerations such as DPF regeneration, highway driving, high RPM driving every now and then.
Petrol and diesel dont have much difference in price now. When I bought punto MJD in 2010, diesel cost was ₹32/33 while petrol was more than ₹50/51.
A petrol car can be converted to LPG or CNG but a diesel engine will run on diesel only. No other alternative.
FE of petrol vs. diesel car wont be much different in city (2-3kmpl in my opinion) but on highways, diesel (22-25kmpl) will give a much better FE than S-Cross (16-22kmpl) depending upon traffic, speed and AC usage.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 16th February 2021 at 01:55.
PaddleShifter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 09:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Without doubt, I would suggest the Ecosport Diesel. Given your yearly running of 15000 kms, the diesel is a no brainer, especially given (1) the low cost difference between petrol and diesel variants of the Ecosport and (2) the considerably better mileage that the TDCI mill will return as compared to its petrol counterpart under equal operating conditions.

As far as the S Cross is concerned, while it is probably better built and has a more premium feel inside than most of its other stablemates, however, looks-wise I have never found it up to my personal expectations (design is a very important factor for me). Of course, that is a subjective matter, but as far as I am concerned, the Ecosport still looks fantastic and very proportionate in the compact SUV segment. Note: The S Cross 1.6 was another beast altogether, I probably would have disregarded its looks just for that engine - but alas, the plug has been pulled on that one. The only other car that I considered when I picked up the Ecosport late 2020 was the Sonet, but somehow the drive experience and build quality did not click with me. I retrospect, I am glad that I avoided the Korean.

Your budget of INR 11 lakhs will probably not allow you to pick up the top end S version which is packed to the gills with safety and other useful features, but even the mid variants of the Ecosport offer good value in terms of core/usable features. I am certainly very happy with the build quality and feel of solidity that I get when I drive my Ecosport. Highway drives are an absolute peach with the Ecosport, with rock solid handling and stability at typical highway speeds of 100-120 km/h. Performance wise - no complaints, solid slug of mid range torque without the irritating sudden turbo boost in certain other turbo diesels. Good low end driveability as well - the car is responsive from 1300-1400 RPM itself. A simple remap will take care of any mid-life crises that you might face with the car later on in the ownership period

As for ease of maintenance - not sure that there is much to choose between Maruti and Ford. The Fords are eminently approachable when it comes to reasonable maintenance costs. Another important factor for me personally is the compact size of the Ecosport. Almost as easy to park and punt around as a premium hatchback, this is immensely useful in city driving conditions.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 16th February 2021 at 09:40.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 10:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:

Ecosport Titanium diesel vs SCross Zeta. Need feedback on build quality, safety and low on maintenance. My running will be close to 15000 per year. I loved both the diesel and petrol engines. Scross interiors doesn't put me off as coming from a Punto I'm not a fan of too many gimmicky features. Kindly help pl.
Hi KPR,
Given your yearly usage diesel is a no brainer and I would definitely recommend the Ecosport Titanium. It is a Solid, well built machine. Compared to the S-cross, there would be some features that you would miss out on like cruise control and Android auto/Apple Carplay.

Additionally, why don't you check out the Honda WR-V diesel or the Jazz CVT. They won't be as well built as the Fiat Punto but they are still good offerings, definitely worth checking them out in the showroom.
Shiftlock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 10:34   #7
KPR
BANNED

I'm sorry to have written 15000 km per year. It has reduced since last two years as we have a beater doing city run about. I expect 10000 km max and 8000km average per year.

Ecosport:
Biggest plus is direct replacement to Punto. No compromise on build. But doesn't feel like an upgrade over Punto for me. Also space is a big constraint for my family of 4.

Scross
It simply ticks all requirements for us including feeling of upgrade except build quality. Isn't SCross better built than other MS cars?
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 10:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Please refer this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/advice/how-...rk-out-cheaper
If this car is going to be the primary car in the house, I'd say go for the S-Cross if you can accept the performance. Also, the S-Cross is a segment above the EcoSport and will be a better long term car considering the space it has on offer.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 16th February 2021 at 10:39.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 10:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

I was exactly in your shoes 4 years ago. Ecosport or SCross; fortunately for you, you can make a very easy decision today because there's no more SCross 1.6.

And to my knowledge, SCross doesn't have the old 1.3 MJD anymore, so I think ES is your only choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
One thing I did notice is that the car is not wide enough to fitthree full size adults.
For that price & that segment, no other car accommodates 3 adults comfortably

Quote:
Isn't SCross better built than other MS cars?
Yes top notch build quality. I would've been in regret if I bought the 1.3 MJD instead of 1.6. For your 10K Kms an year, simply close your eyes & opt for Petrol, Diesel makes no sense.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 11:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

The 2021 Ecosport Titanium now has ESP as well which makes it tremendous value. From a feature point of view the biggest missing piece would be the lack of Android Auto / Car Play if you use Google maps a lot.

I would say go for the S-Cross only if you need the extra space.
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 11:18   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Ecosport Titanium diesel vs S-Cross Zeta.
Since the upgrade is from Punto, S-Cross will be a better option since it is spacious to give you that feeling of an upgrade.

Beware it is petrol-only and since the running isn't high, S-Cross will be the choice. Had it been diesel's that you were looking for it would have been the EcoSport eyes closed (even though it is cramped).

How much extra do you have to pay if you get the Alpha variant?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 11:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

I replaced my Punto 90 Sport with an EcoSport T+ Petrol automatic in 2018. That was my second Punto; the first one was an Emotion Pack and it was very difficult to find a replacement. I finally shortlisted the Polo and Punto 90, and the latter was selected for when I got a substantial discount.

Replacing a Punto is not an easy task as you can see.

I'd suggest you to look at the Ford or the Tata Nexon instead of S-Cross.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 16th February 2021 at 11:24.
sandeepmdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 12:54   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Punto 90HP replacement | Ford EcoSport vs Maruti S-Cross

Both are good cars and are well-suited to an ex-Punto owner, due to their solid build & sorted road manners. I'd personally pick an EcoSport 1.5L TDCi as I have some very good memories with that car.

If you expect your running to climb, it would be a good idea to wait for the S-Cross 1.5L diesel. Maruti's diesel engine is beautiful, and they are almost ready with the BS6 version. But can't say for sure when the launch will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
I’m not very sure if you’ve been behind the wheel of turbo-petrols, but let me tell you that some of them are nothing short of pocket-rockets. Mileage usually hasn’t been a problem with numbers usually hovering around 14-17KPL in the VW Vento.
The problem with turbo-petrols is they are super sensitive to throttle input. If you drive with a light foot and keep the revs limited, sure, the FE is good. But an aggressive right foot leads to a massive drop in FE. A lot more so than turbo-diesels, and even NA petrols IMHO.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 14:08   #14
KPR
BANNED

Thanks to all members for your valuable inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
How much extra do you have to pay if you get the Alpha variant?
2 Lakhs more for Projector HL, Auto HL, Auto wipers, Leather seats, leather wrapped steering wheel.
Old 16th February 2021, 15:41   #15
ike
BHPian

As somebody who has been drving as Scross 1.3DDIS since June 2017 (58k KMS as of today) I'd recommend the Ecosport top end just for the superior safety kit. The S cross is well mannered and the build is good, but doesn't have as good a safety kit as the ecosport.
ike is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks