Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2021, 14:42   #1
BHPian

Which new car for 45 lakhs?

Hi, I am looking at buying a new car. Budget is around 45 Lakhs. Looking at Luxury brands only inspite of being aware of value that Superb, Octavia, Camry, Jeep etc give.

We are a family of 4 including 2 boys aged 10, 12 years. We go on long road drives (4000-6000km) at least once in year if not two. Both my wife and I love sedans. We currently have Fiat Linea T-Jet Plus and she has served us really well. We have taken her to various parts of India and never faced any problem due to the average GC of the car. We love the low body roll, driving dynamics and comfort of sedans. Hence our inclination towards sedan.

I have shortlisted XE~330i>>C>>>A4 in the same order of preference. Both my wife and I are really in love with the XE but the logical mind in us says 330i. So head versus a heart factor. C and A4 will come into picture only if there are great discounts on them.

My questions
1. Any other car that I should look at?
2. which ones out of the 4 do you suggest?
3. when is the best time to buy? I can wait till Oct-Nov.
4. what kind of discounts can I expect on these four.

Thanks for your help
FamilyTraveller is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 14:49   #2
BHPian

Re: Which new car for 45 lakhs?

As another member in the 'New Car' thread said, I also suggest TDing X1/X3, GLC and perhaps Tiguan and Kodiaq as well (if the purchase can wait till these cars' launch).

I've driven Tiguan and it drives just like a sedan (not counting the body roll but I assume you won't be carving corners with family onboard), plus the added height advantage that is pleasurable to driver as well as all passengers.

Among the sedans though, I'm highly biased towards 330i, but the M-sport model will come to 57+ on road. Superb is an excellent alternative to TD still.
greenh0rn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 14:59   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
As another member in the 'New Car' thread said, I also suggest TDing X1/X3, GLC and perhaps Tiguan and Kodiaq as well (if the purchase can wait till these cars' launch).

Among the sedans though, I'm highly biased towards 330i, but the M-sport model will come to 57+ on road. Superb is an excellent alternative to TD still.
This time I am looking at buying only from the big 4 brands. If at all I buy from other brands then it will be new gen Octavia or Compass. I may need to spend money on kid's higher education 4-5 years down the line so for me this is possibly the last chance this decade to buy a luxury vehicle hence not looking at any other brands.

To be honest I don't find any SUV from any of these brands a head turner, moreover we do lot of driving in ghats (to and from Goa and west coast) for which I am not sure if SUVs are better option than sedans.

Keen on 330i as you suggested but want to hear real life experience on XE as thats what I am in love with.
FamilyTraveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 15:08   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

You should also consider the new Mercedes GLA series being launched, it will have an option of a good diesel engine and is very fresh and futuristic. It is also quite larger and taller than the previous GLA.

If you are keen only for sedans the new A4 is also nice and spacious.

Last edited by Behemoth : 7th April 2021 at 15:09.
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 15:13   #5
Team-BHP Support

I would strongly recommend the 330i Sport; it should be within (or around) your budget and will make your long trips truly enjoyable. The current C is on its way out, the A4 doesn’t feel that special, and the XE is really niche in an already niche segment.

Check through the first two posts on this thread to get a gauge on the XE
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...-facelift.html (Review: 2020 Jaguar XE (Facelift))
vb-saan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 21:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTraveller View Post
1. Any other car that I should look at?
2. which ones out of the 4 do you suggest?
3. when is the best time to buy? I can wait till Oct-Nov.
4. what kind of discounts can I expect on these four
Even I'd recommend waiting for the Kodiaq, Tiguan & Octavia.

But to answer your other questions:

2. Luxury - All
Performance - 330i
Mix of both - Audi A4

3. Usually, the best time to buy would be during the festive season or end of the year (close, would be around End of April)

4. About Rs. 4L to anywhere around 8L.

Also, there have been rounds of Octavia VRS245s at discounts of close to 8L at some places. If you want, you could check these out too.
akash_v12 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 22:22   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTraveller View Post
We are a family of 4 including 2 boys aged 10, 12 years. We go on long road drives (4000-6000km) at least once in year if not two. Hi, I am looking at buying a new car. Budget is around 45 Lakhs. Looking at Luxury brands only inspite of being aware of value that Superb, Octavia, Camry, Jeep etc give.
Unless you are an exceptionally short family (viz you are 5’5” or lower and your wife is shorter still), I would strongly advise against looking at any of the 4 sedans in your short list. Your boys are 10 and 12 - and in 5-6 years, will likely shoot up in height and be at least 2-3 inches taller than you are. And long road trips with two sulking teenagers in the rear of a cramped “luxury” sedan are not going to be fun at all.

If you can up your budget a bit, I would go with the 330Li. Else I would switch to either an Octavia or Superb or one of the SUVs - the X1 may not be too bad in terms of rear leg room, but the Tiguan Allspace and the Kodiaq would be fantastic for you. Do stick to the petrols though - the superior refinement is worth all that you spend on the fuel.
Hayek is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 23:25   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Given you're coming from a T-Jet, I assume you would prefer something fun & petrol.

With these in mind, the BMW would be my pick for the following reasons (though you can wait for a deal):

1) Balanced ride & handling
2) Explosive performance
3) Lower perceived maintenance
However, the interiors aren't as classy as say the C Class; it's quite low though adequately spacious; and to get the most out of it - a change from RFT to tubeless is strongly recommended (applicable for C Class too).
Also, discounts are quite limited on the 330i

Next up would be the A4 (good time to buy now):
1) Balanced Ride & Handling though more inclined towards Ride
2) Well Equipped
3) Slightly roomier in the back than the C & 3
4) Maintenance could be reasonable if carried out at a reputed independent mechanic - the engine similarity with the Octavia, Tiguan All Space, Superb is a boon!
5) Tremendous VFM

That being said: I wasn't too excited by the interiors, Audi Service is poor, resale wouldn't be great (not that any of these will set benchmarks 10 years down the line).

Third would be the C Class (can wait for a deal):
1) Lovely steering feel!
2) Stable handling, brilliant brakes, excellent visibility - a brilliant cruiser!
3) Beautiful interiors!!

But it's really let down by average build quality (rattles, parts wearing out quicker, etc.), expensive maintenance, poor ride quality - especially in the rear, and it will soon be replaced with a new model (though the current one is very competent), average engines.

Last would be the XE. No doubt it's a looker, and a brilliant driver's car - but for someone who travels across the country : should something go wrong, I wouldn't risk a rogue dealer (if any are close by that too). The cramped rear seats, and average interiors aren't helping it's case either.
If it weren't for the 4000km annual road trip, a growing family, and if there were decent service options near you - it could be an option.
That being said - do take a drive & have a look at it, after all there's no point spending so much if the heart isn't satisfied.

Now, to throw in a few more contenders into the mix:
1) Audi was offering some mouth watering discounts on the A6 - up to 15-18L off according to some posts on the New Car Price Check Thread as recently as March! If they are still applicable, it would be a fantastic option. Don't be shy to check with out of state dealers too - it may involve a little more running around, but it's a proper segment above.

2) With the new 5 series facelift slated for launch later this month : expect some serious discounting on any stock the dealers may have. Shop around!
lamborghini is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 23:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Now, to throw in a few more contenders into the mix:
1) Audi was offering some mouth watering discounts on the A6 - up to 15-18L off according to some posts on the New Car Price Check Thread as recently as March! If they are still applicable, it would be a fantastic option. Don't be shy to check with out of state dealers too - it may involve a little more running around, but it's a proper segment above.

2) With the new 5 series facelift slated for launch later this month : expect some serious discounting on any stock the dealers may have. Shop around!
Thanks a lot for taking out time for such a detailed response. Will check A6 and 5 as well. Really helpful response.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 8th April 2021 at 06:10. Reason: Trimmed long post quote.
FamilyTraveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 01:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Your boys are 10 and 12 - and in 5-6 years, will likely shoot up in height and be at least 2-3 inches taller than you are. And long road trips with two sulking teenagers in the rear of a cramped “luxury” sedan are not going to be fun at all.
A very valuable suggestion to think about when you like to go on long family trips. Also lamborghini's detailed response nailed some important points.

My suggestion would be sticking to your budget, trying to wait and get the maximum discount for a 530i. Would not recommend a 330Li, if you prefer sharp driving dynamics. A longer wheelbase with the same track width of 330i and a 6mm height rise (than 330i) would tend to feel more comfort oriented than a handling oriented car. If height (of family members too) is not a problem, 330i would be the one to go to. Well, the rest of the cars don't do justice to their brand name or price tag, let alone the driving dynamics.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 8th April 2021 at 01:39.
carthick1000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 03:23   #11
BHPian

Parents' first LUXUSAUTO

Hello Team,

I need your highly valued guidance and inputs for assisting my parents in acquiring their first Luxury Car.

Background

My parents currently are served well by their 2013 Hyundai Elantra 1.8 SX and the urge to upgrade runs high now. Parents are well into their late 50s and mother really really wants to upgrade to one of the 3 Germans or the British.
Father is taking the upcoming purchase as a sort of retirement gift to himself- so he too is obliged to MOM's eagerness and wishes.

The car will be self-driven with a running not more than 12 Kms daily. The car will be kept for at least 8 to 9 years. It will be my parents' only car. Car will be used in Lucknow. They want a good deal and are open for MY20 cars from showroom stocks as well.

My mother will be the primary driver with my father as an occasional one when he visits India twice a year for a Month.

Budget- 45 Lacs On-Road Lucknow.

Some info on the Test drives I did and the deals I could Manage.

1) AUDI A4

Drove the Technology Petrol Top End (55L Onroad Lucknow)
The deal offered to me: 47L On-Road Lucknow.

1. Great Ride quality. Drove it on extremely bad roads and its ride quality blew me away.
  2. Quick Gear Shifts.
  3. The quality of Leather and switchgear seemed good.
  4. Virtual Cockpit was the highlight- Informative, Vibrant, and High Def.
  5. Good Sound System

Dislikes
  1. No ventilated Seats! (Elantra has one and we use it on our every trip.)
  2. No 360 Camera (Much cheaper cars have this very useful feature)
  3. Small Sunroof (In an era of Pano Roofs, this one seemed a step back)
  4. Small Rear Seat Space & Boot.
  5. Only an FWD.
  6. Same Engine-Gearbox can be bought in a much cheaper way via other VW Group Cars/SUVs
Personally, we didn't find it much of an upgrade from our Elantra and the price post bargain at 47L seemed expensive for this car.

2) C Class

Checked out one in the showroom. It was MY20 car and the top C220D variant priced at 58.84L On-Road Lucknow. Post bargain, the showroom isn't entertaining for anything less than 56L on road.

No discounts on any other C Models as they said they will have to procure one from the plant against a fresh order- this I smell fishy.

2. RWD

Dislikes:
  1. Poor Boot Space with that Spare
  2. Poor Rear Seat Base length- Underthigh Support is quite bad.
  3. Internationally New C already Released.
  4. 56L for a MY20 C class feel overpriced.

3) 3 series

Extremely disinterested staff. Was not ready to give a test drive citing a lack of any demo cars. I really wanted a 3 Series.
Inquired about 330i Sport Base model- RM said they have stopped producing them plus he said they don't have any 3 series stock as the company is pushing the Gran Limousine- with no discounts of course. So any 3 series I go will cost me upwards 55L on road.

Inquired about 5 and X3- all the variants were costing more than 56L on road. Called BMW Delhi to check on their stocks but they flatly refused to sell me a car (as I am based in Lucknow) citing some Internal BMW Territorial Clause.

4) GLC

Loved everything about it but the dealer isn't nudging below 69L for MY21 JAN Model (Without Massaging seats one).

5) JLR

Called them, was offered 55L for the only XE they have in stock. Discovery and Evoque are upwards of 68L according to the Sales guy.

We are open to purchasing a car from other cities' showrooms as well (if we get a better deal) but to be registered in Lucknow (UP) only.

Need your inputs team. Would highly appreciate if anyone can share the info. on discounts on these Marques as well.
AMG1 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 05:04   #12
BHPian

Re: Parents' first LUXUSAUTO

Questions -
What matters more Driving pleasure or driving comfort?
What is the typical ‘kms per year’ you envisage?
Does the ‘badge’ matter?
Are you open to buying used?
Mechanical Reliability vs gizmo loaded?
torquecurve is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 06:10   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to see a young person caring about his parents' car needs. Must remember to ask my kids to take note. :-)

In addition to the very relevant points tabled by @torquecurve above some more thoughts/questions before we can put on our collective thinking hats.

- If your mother will be the primary driver and staying alone for long periods then I assume reliability and top class ASS will be important.
- what about ground clearance given that some parts of LKO have Bangalore style roads.
- what about size? from your test drives it seems you are (sensibly) veering to the mid-sized car i.e. 4.5 metres
- what of back seat ride comfort and leg space? Your post seems to indicate that it is unlikely either of your parents will use the back seat.

Thanks.
V.Narayan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 06:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
Hello Team,

I need your highly valued guidance and inputs for assisting my parents in acquiring their first Luxury Car.
Is it possible that your parents are going to budge off the luxury brand appeal?
If yes, I guess you could make them TD the Toyota Camry Hybrid.

I personally feel that the car is a much better value proposition than its competitors once one shuns luxury brand appeal.

Maybe start with the fuel economy figures, I know for a fact that the car easily gives 20kmpl in the city. And it shall be a worthy upgrade from the Elantra with decent tech, great space and even better bootspace.
sharktale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 08:26   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Wait for a good deal on a petrol BMW X1.
  • Good on prestige
  • Practical as your mom doesn't have to worry about GC (driving sedans requires a lot of caution)
  • Petrol BMWs are perfect for low usage (condition based servicing)
  • BMW designs age well (Mercedes is going bonkers with updates rendering older cars look very dated)

A light colour X1 with pano roof with good spec interiors will make a lovely city runabout for a lady. Try not to prioritise everything as there is no perfect have-it-call car. Not sure why you need to pay attention to boot space and rear seats.
androdev is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks