Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2021, 02:07   #1
BHPian

Best combination of two cars under 30-lakhs for Dad?

Greetings everyone,

My dad is on the lookout to upgrade his garage, though I think the apt word is revamp. He currently owns a 2017 Fortuner, but that has been put up on sale, and thanks to Toyota constantly hiking the price on the Fortuner, he is getting some amazing offers.

All said and done, he wants to bifurcate the garage as the Fortuner alone simply isn't cutting it for his needs, and he drives in Amritsar wherein at times there are roads which he has to enter and the Fortuner can't even dream of squeezing in.

He has set aside a strict budget of 30 Lacs (On Road Gurgaon) and he needs to buy two cars to fulfill a variety of needs and wants.

The first is a diesel automatic SUV, for his weekly highway trips, wherein he will be self driving. He is 62 for reference.
He doesn't want a compact SUV, including the likes of the Creta/Seltos.

The second one is a petrol manual sedan, this will be strictly a chauffer driven car for his daily trips to and from his clinic, so rear seat comfort is paramount. Since he will practically never drive it, the engine dynamics take a back seat here.

Here is the combo I've suggested him :

1. Tata Harrier XMA (18L On road with discount)
2. Honda City V ( 12.5 L On road with a small discount)

The above combo felt the most apt to me, given the set price and I really couldn't think of any better way to divide the money.

Looking forward to your suggestions on this, and I hope you and your families are safe and sound.
armaan_singh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 03:01   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Best combination of two cars under 30-lakhs for Dad?

The options you have chosen makes absolute sense.

But my choice will be -

Jeep Compass AT & a Maruti Ciaz MT.

Reason- Compass is more fun to drive than Harrier. (Better handling)
Ciaz offers more space than city.

Last edited by Samba : 28th April 2021 at 03:06.
Samba is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 03:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Both the choices are good and you cant go wrong there. Usually it is not advisable to sell a 2017 car so soon, but when one owns a Toyota, that is not an issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
and he drives in Amritsar wherein at times there are roads which he has to enter and the Fortuner can't even dream of squeezing in.
The City and Harrier are not exactly friendly to tight spaces & hence do make sure they will fit the intended roads. If the Harrier is to be self driven, do note that it is wider than the Fortuner.
TrackDay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 04:05   #4
AYP
Senior - BHPian

The Harrier XMA is a borderline poverty spec variant. Once the initial novelty goes away, the spartan interiors of the car will start bothering you more and more. Yes, if you know for a fact that you are gonna be absolutely fine with the XMA interior, then you may proceed with the buy. Do note that some Harrier owners are still facing niggles and your father may not be happy dealing with these niggles, especially after a Toyota ownership. A driver who can manage the service centre visits(in case such niggles come up) shall definitely help.

Creta SX or the Seltos HTX+ diesel AT shall make for a better overall package as long as a 1.5 diesel is acceptable. Do note that being lighter, the hit in performance won't be too drastic as compared to the Harrier. You can wait for the Alcazar as well. Yes, the Seltos is a 3 star rated car, but the Harrier hasn't been tested yet and I wouldn't be assuming that an untested car is a safer one.

How urgent is the need for the car? The upcoming XUV700 is scheduled to arrive in Q3 of 2021 (as of now)and if the mid variant of the current XUV 500 is anything to go buy, its mid variants should be decently equipped as well. This would be my ideal primary choice for you.

As far as the second car is concerned, I agree with Samba that it should be the Ciaz. Primarily because I wouldn't want to compromise on the 'main buy', which in this case is going to be the Harrier. In fact if you decide to go with the Ciaz Delta, you can get yourself the Harrier XZA by spending only about a lakh more than your total budget. Of course, its back seat is spacious as well. If the budget is very strict at 30L, the Ciaz Sigma wouldn't be a bad choice at all and neither would something like an Amaze.
AYP is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 06:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Harrier is almost as wide as fortuner or even wider than Fortuner. It is not going to squeeze into any tight spaces that Fortuner struggles. Compass is the better option here. It is narrower and offers premium interiors compared to Harrier. Also has a certain brand value associated with it. But that means you will certainly go over budget. I think the best option is not to sell the Fortuner. A Fortuner to Harrier will be a disastrous outcome in my opinion.
padmrajravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 10:00   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Best combination of two cars under 30-lakhs for Dad?

Quote:
The first is a diesel automatic SUV, for his weekly highway trips, wherein he will be self driving. He is 62 for reference.
Why can't you retain the 2017 Fortuner for these weekly highway trips? After all, it is segments higher than the replacements you are considering. The Fortuner is an excellent, capable & safe long distance cruiser. If you absolutely need something narrow, then I agree with the Compass Diesel suggestion of Samba. Safe, fast, lots of fun on the open road.

Quote:
The second one is a petrol manual sedan, this will be strictly a chauffer driven car for his daily trips to and from his clinic, so rear seat comfort is paramount. Since he will practically never drive it, the engine dynamics take a back seat here.
Samba is spot on here as well. Ciaz is the best for the intended purpose. On the other hand, if you want one with driving pleasure, then go for the City (either you or your Dad can enjoy it, even if only on weekends or occasionally).
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 10:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Why can't you retain the 2017 Fortuner for these weekly highway trips? After all, it is segments higher than the replacements you are considering. The Fortuner is an excellent, capable & safe long distance cruiser.
Let me confuse you further. Why dont you retain the Fortuner (as it will only appreciate with time ), and buy a Gen 4 used City for 6 lakh? Your financial math will be the same, ball park.
2000rpm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 11:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Why can't you retain the 2017 Fortuner for these weekly highway trips? After all, it is segments higher than the replacements you are considering. The Fortuner is an excellent, capable & safe long distance cruiser. If you absolutely need something narrow, then I agree with the Compass Diesel suggestion of Samba. Safe, fast, lots of fun on the open road.

Samba is spot on here as well. Ciaz is the best for the intended purpose. On the other hand, if you want one with driving pleasure, then go for the City (either you or your Dad can enjoy it, even if only on weekends or occasionally).
Wouldn't the Jeep Compass diesel automatic variant be already north of 30 lacs to begin with? Might beat the person's budget.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th April 2021 at 17:43. Reason: Typo, punctuation
Old 28th April 2021, 11:35   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the combo I've suggested him :

1. Tata Harrier XMA (18L On road with discount)
2. Honda City V ( 12.5 L On road with a small discount)
Even before I had come to your shortlists, I had the exact same two cars in mind.

Although, you can choose a Jazz/WR-V instead of the City and use the extra money to buy a better variant in Harrier. Those are really practical cars with lots of space inside.
Old 28th April 2021, 11:42   #10
BHPian

I would suggest you to retain the Fortuner and instead, I would suggest you to get the new Honda City for his daily travel to his clinic!

Selling the Fortuner and getting Harrier is not a good idea IMO! And, you will regret buying the Harrier later as the Tata service is not good as you get in Toyota!

But, I would suggest you to get the Compass instead of the Harrier only if you want to replace the Fortuner!
Old 28th April 2021, 11:56   #11
BHPian

There can be many combinations for you use car

1. (If having a diesel AT is mandatory for outstation trips)Kia Sonet+Honda Amaze

Sonet, although a downgrade would otherwise make for a good enough car with the 1.5 D+TC combo. And while it may not be very large(I assume your father would be travelling alone or with a passenger most of the times) I think it pretty much satisfies your requirements.

The Amaze would make for a good car at the hands of a chauffeur. Abuse friendly, cheap to maintain, easy ingress and egress. The S MT variant should easily satisfy your requirements.

2. (If you can live with a Petrol AT for highways) Skoda Kushaq/VW Taigun 1.5 DSG+Brezza/Urban Cruiser

If you're willing to live with a Petrol AT, the Kushaq/Taigun should be a strong contender from the looks of it. Infact it can be your sole car as well if you don't want the headache of having two cars since they aren't monstrously large like a Fortuner or Harrier but still going by the specs will be quite comfortable at the back as well. The 1.5 TSI should have enough grunt for the highways too and you'd save tons of money as well.

Alternatively you can also pickup a Brezza/Urban Cruiser for beater duties as both have a very comfortable ingress and egress for your aged father, will be extremely reliable and are abuse friendly enough for the Chauffeur as well.

Overall I would ask you to not look at the harrier at all with the oh so many problems being reported these days and the (in)famous Tata after sales support which will be an unnecessary headache for your father. Compass AT, like others have mentioned will be out of your budget and that pretty much exhausts Diesel AT options in this price range. Like I said, you can always go for the Sonet AT. I'm not suggesting the crysta because it won't be much different from the fortuner

As for the beater car, At around 12L OTR there are quite a lot of options. Amaze, Urban Cruiser/Brezza, XUV3OO, City, Baleno, Rapid Rider etc. you can't really go wrong with these either.

I'd still suggest you consider the option of one mid priced do it all car, it will be far more convenient.
Old 28th April 2021, 12:16   #12
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Greetings everyone,

All said and done, he wants to bifurcate the garage as the Fortuner alone simply isn't cutting it for his needs, and he drives in Amritsar wherein at times there are roads which he has to enter and the Fortuner can't even dream of squeezing in.
Harrier is even wider than Fortuner. Jeep compass is only the option here. Compass & Jazz petrol are sensible choices. But the budget might exceed 30 lakhs.
Old 28th April 2021, 16:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Well the Harrier is as wide as Fortuner, so if you have trouble taking Fortuner due to road width, you will have the same with Harrier. Unless you are getting compact SUV, downgrading from Fortuner to any other larger SUV doesnot make sense at all! Since you ruled out Seltos/Creta, Compass wont fit the bill as dimensions are similar. Even if you extend budget, may get you Allspace or the upcoming Kodiaq or an X1 but all are as wide as Fortuner. So either you stick to Fortuner or go for compact SUV.
Old 28th April 2021, 17:14   #14
BHPian

My reco would be to retain the Fortuner and get a Ciaz or City. If you absolutely want to sell the Fortuner, then go for a Harrier XZA or XZA+. With that and keeping your budget in mind, go for Ciaz or Amaze. Harrier XMA is barebones and it's better to avoid that variant.
Old 28th April 2021, 17:34   #15
BHPian

Just to reiterate, the Harrier or whatever replacement comes won't be used in the city at all so it's dimensions being more than the Fortuner are immaterial.
The compass beats our budget by a fair margin for the Diesel automatic variant.
The sedan will be used solely in the city and won't see much highway use at all.
Retaining the Fortuner is not an option as Dad has pretty much sealed the deal on its fate.

But going by the suggestions here, I've asked Dad to seriously reconsider and instead pick a better specification XZA of the Harrier, and couple it with the Ciaz Sigma variant. Hence letting the chauffer driven car give maximum value and at the same time getting better equipment on the self driven car.

Thanks.

Last edited by armaan_singh : 28th April 2021 at 17:37.
armaan_singh is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks