Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2021, 15:22   #1
BHPian

Honda Jazz or Honda City?

I am looking for a Petrol Automatic car (a proper AT not an AMT).

My requirements
1. The car will be used 90% for highway drives (I have business in two places which are 130 kilometres apart). I keep shuttling between these places once a week.
2. I travel mostly in late night or early morning to avoid infamous Kerala traffic.
3. My average travel per month is near to 2000 Kms and NOT LOOKING for a DIESEL.
4. Automatic is a must.
5. Need a decent boot.
6. Budget is a wide Rs 7 lakh to Rs 15 lakh.
7. The car should give around 17 kmpl on highway drives.
8. No VAG and TATAs. I prefer Japanese machines. Have a Ford Figo at home, so no more Fords.
9. I intend to keep the car for a minimum of 5 years if used and 10 years if it’s a new one.
10. Straight-line stability is more important than outright handling in the twisties as the car will be running on planes for more than 95%. I may take her once in a quarter to a hill station (Wayanad/ Ooty)
Considering the above I shortlisted three cars, all from Honda stable
1. All new Honda City V CVT petrol (5th Gen) retailing for INR 15 lakh.
2. A used Honda Jazz V/VX/ZX Jazz CVT.
Why?
A. All New Honda City V CVT
Honda Jazz or Honda City?-20200630125431_hondacity2020front.jpg
1. It is a major update, so going to say fresh for next five years at least.
2. Honda and 10 years of peace or upto 1.20 lakh kilometres.
3. Usual advantages of Honda
4. Lot of interior space and cavernous 500 litres + boot.
5. It’s a perfect sedan for me.
Why not
1. Is it wise to spend Rs 15 lakh on the new Honda City over a sparingly used Honda Jazz at around Rs 6 to 7 lakh (almost 55% cheaper) and serves 90% of my requirements.

B. Used Honda Jazz (2018 plus models under 25K Kms run)
Honda Jazz or Honda City?-480x32041.jpg
1. Availability: I found quite a number of cars which are sparingly used.
2. 10 Year Honda warranty.
3. Spacious interiors.
4. I like the silhouette of the Jazz.
Why not
1. I am apprehensive about its highway performance.
2. Will the new Jazz get launched anytime soon, if yes I am planning to wait for it.
3. It is a generation old.

C.Used Honda City 4th Gen

Honda Jazz or Honda City?-capture.png
Why
1. Availability
2. Spacious
3. Boot space
4. Honda reliability
5. Full-fledged sedan
Why not?
1. Don’t like the styling
2. Price: Asking prices are high, better to take a new one. However, no CVT for the new 4th Gen City.

I am more inclined towards a used Jazz than the used 4th gen City. Also, I am not considering the new 4th Gen city as it is long in the tooth and has no CVT.
Silver Knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 15:32   #2
BHPian

re: Honda Jazz or Honda City?

I would suggest you go for the Honda City CVT over the Jazz since it has the required power for your highway driving and the rear seat will be comfortable for your family as well!

And, has better boot space than the Jazz as well!

And, FYI, the 4th gen City too had the CVT transmission but you need to look for well-maintained ones in the pre-owned market!

And, if you are open to Diesel, then I would suggest you have a look at the Kia Sonet Diesel AT as well! It has all bells and whistles like 6 airbags, has the best in class Diesel+6AT combo, and fun to drive than the Seltos due to its lightweight, and comes within your budget of 15L as well!
car_guy1998 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 16:22   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
I would suggest you go for the Honda City CVT over the Jazz since it has the required power for your highway driving and the rear seat will be comfortable for your family as well!

And, has better boot space than the Jazz as well!

And, FYI, the 4th gen City too had the CVT transmission but you need to look for well-maintained ones in the pre-owned market!

And, if you are open to Diesel, then I would suggest you have a look at the Kia Sonet Diesel AT as well! It has all bells and whistles like 6 airbags, has the best in class Diesel+6AT combo, and fun to drive than the Seltos due to its lightweight, and comes within your budget of 15L as well!
Honda City CVT 4th Gen is an option. However, I am not looking for an SUV / SUVish cars. Was driving an Innova for 10 years and want to go for a large hatch or a proper sedan this time.
Silver Knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 16:38   #4
BHPian

Very strange listing to be honest where the cheaper car enlisted is used while the more expensive car has to be brand new

Jokes apart, obviously City will better Jazz in all aspects as enlisted and a better buy.

And incase Jazz gets the final nod then as a Jazz owner I would like to add few points :
1. Jazz isnt underpowered on highways. It has low bottom end torque. Highway performance is rather good.
2. New gen Jazz wont be coming anytime soon.
3. F.E. of Jazz CVT on highways is 17+
Turbokick is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 16:40   #5
BHPian

Mine is going to be an offbeat suggestion. I would have otherwise asked you to wait for the Kushaq 1.0 AT but since you have ruled out all VAGs, I dropped it. Still worth a look IMHO.

The Hondas I would rule out personally. The City is perhaps the worst in its class on the highways and the CVT gearbox is just simply not worth it at all. I'm not even getting into the puny 1.2 in the Jazz that gets breathless above 60 kmph.

What I would instead suggest is a used Hyundai Elantra Petrol AT (2017 and up). That is if you can find those on sale. Proper import quality(it seriously doesn't feel like a Hyundai), a powerful and refined petrol and a good old torque converter. What also helps is being a D segment sedan it will be far bigger and luxurious than the other options here and will offer you the boot space that you desire. Being CKDs I won't worry much on the safety aspect. Scheduled services shouldn't be a problem either since it shares the powertrain with the Alcazar. Resale on these is actually quite poor so you will get a good deal on it.

An alternative, if you don't manage to find an Elantra would be a used Creta AT. It won't be as luxurious but it will be big, have a nice powerful engine and proper TC AT along with a reasonable sized boot. Although, the resale is exceptional on these so it's going to be a million plus affair easily.

Last edited by porsche_guy : 25th June 2021 at 16:42.
porsche_guy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 16:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Knight View Post
8. No VAG and TATAs. I prefer Japanese machines. Have a Ford Figo at home, so no more Fords.
Your requirement is such that none other than Vento or Rapid 1.0 TSI AT fits them. Leave aside point 8 and the words scream out VAGs. As many mentioned here, wait for the new SUVs from their stable which may be aggressively priced under 15L (ex showroom)

Personally won't prefer Honda's anymore. They have lost their charm and trying to be mass market cars like Maruti.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 17:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Your requirement is such that none other than Vento or Rapid 1.0 TSI AT fits them. Leave aside point 8 and the words scream out VAGs. As many mentioned here, wait for the new SUVs from their stable which may be aggressively priced under 15L (ex showroom)

Personally won't prefer Honda's anymore. They have lost their charm and trying to be mass-market cars like Maruti.
true, even a lot of my friends told me to consider the Rapid and Vento TSi AT. They scream value for money and considerably cheaper than the City. Hmm.. Anyway, I will take a testdrive.
Silver Knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 17:42   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
B. Used Honda Jazz (2018 plus models under 25K Kms run)
2. 10 Year Honda warranty.
I'm curious about this - is there a 10 year warranty in India for all Honda cars? What is the initial warranty period? Is it extended by the 1st owner or can it be extended by you once you buy it, if the 1st owner hasn't already done so?

In the US market, Hyundai began offering a 10 year warranty that wasn't transferable to subsequent owners. I wonder what Honda is doing here.

Between you and I - I would buy a used Jazz and enjoy with it. The thing is low-slung, really long for a hatchback, has lots of leg room for everyone and it has a huge boot. The car is good for the highway as well. Whatever money you save on it vis-a-vis the City, you can invest elsewhere.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 18:01   #9
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Why?
Any specific reason for not considering a New Jazz?

OT: Good to see Bhpian from Thrissur, maybe we could meet up sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I'm curious about this - is there a 10 year warranty in India for all Honda cars? What is the initial warranty period? Is it extended by the 1st owner or can it be extended by you once you buy it, if the 1st owner hasn't already done so?
We bought a Jazz for my brother in Feb'21. Total warranty was for 6 years (this is including extended and standard warranties), the 6th year warranty can be purchased only during the 5th year.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 18:16   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, Honda has a fantastic 10-year warranty which can be taken anytime, even if the car changes hands and not opted by the previous owner. They even give warranty for cars having partial service records, albeit at a slightly higher cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Any specific reason for not considering a New Jazz?

OT: Good to see Bhpian from Thrissur, maybe we could meet up sometime.

We bought a Jazz for my brother in Feb'21. Total warranty was for 6 years (this is including extended and standard warranties), the 6th year warranty can be purchased only during the 5th year.
Sure buddy, let's meet.

Why not consider the new Jazz?: The platform is old now and Honda has released new Jazz/Fit in key markets already. They may not bring it soon to India, but don't want to buy a 'new old car'.

Quote:

Between you and I - I would buy a used Jazz and enjoy with it. The thing is low-slung, really long for a hatchback, has lots of leg room for everyone and it has a huge boot. The car is good for the highway as well. Whatever money you save on it vis-a-vis the City, you can invest elsewhere.
Yes, this what I was thinking. I can save a considerable amount and will serve the purpose. Hence was leaning towards the Jazz. However, one life kinda thing make me think otherwise.
Jazz can be taken with ready cash, for the City 20K Emi for next 5 years.

Last edited by GTO : 26th June 2021 at 08:24. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Silver Knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 19:44   #11
BHPian

Considering your requirements and the cars you have shortlisted. I will suggest you the City. You will never feel underpowered anywhere and the engine is a charm. The new City has a host of new features which will be like-able according to your taste. Though if you are going for the pre-owned route I have seen a lot of 4th gen City’s in pristine condition which will be a bang for your buck. Its faster, a bit expensive but economical and better to drive.
Though you have only considered Honda’s, I would strongly recommend you a Vento/Rapid TSI. The DSG and TSI combo will put a smile on your face everytime you go on your 130km trips. City drives will be nicer and more fun and its a nice place to be in. Obviously I am a VAG fan but all around is a better package than the two pre-owned cars enlisted by you. Check it out once and it will put a smile on you and you’re gonna like it.
Cheers!
speedfreak77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 20:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts. I think the mention was about happy ownership for 10 years. If it's warranty, I have my eyes open wide!
Old 25th June 2021, 21:10   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

TSI + Torque converter cars from VW group should not be untouchables to Japanese car lovers. They are made for highways. Honda City is a great city car. I own one and use a lot (clocked 80K km) but I would never take it on highways if I have access to a VW. I use a Skoda Fabia 1.2 puny petrol for emergency highway runs instead of Honda City. I took Honda City once and that was the last time.
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 12:33   #14
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz or Honda City?

Quote:
The car will be running on planes for more than 95%. I may take her once in a quarter to a hill station (Wayanad/ Ooty)
I believe everyone has addressed 95% of your concerns about highway driving. Let me share my thoughts on the 5% that is still left. I grew up in Ooty and had an uncle who owned a City A/T. If you want to conquer the bends, you'll be frustrated with the 175 section tyres, the suspension setup which is solely designed for comfort and the CVT which isn't particularly exciting compared to the German rivals.
Quote:
Straight-line stability is more important than outright handling in the twisties
If you're seeking for hairpin twists like the one seen below (which I don't think you are ), keep in mind that the city is only for the city.
Honda Jazz or Honda City?-kalhatty.jpg
That is how I feel, but if your goal is family comfort, the city will undoubtedly make them happy . That is without a doubt true. Please don't get mired down in the specifics because, unlike me, you will not be a daily driver in the hills. Aside from that, it's a fantastic vehicle.

Image Source: Wordpress.com
Fateh Salim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 12:36   #15
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz or Honda City?

Quote:

Why?
A. All New Honda City V CVT
Go for Used Jazz only if
  • Parking space and U-turn in tight spaces may be a problem.
  • You can have a better use of the extra 7-8 lacs.
Else, go for New Honda City V CVT petrol (5th Gen).
I won't recommend a used Honda City 4th gen, you would be getting an old model for slightly less price. The improvements in 5th Gen Honda City are a lot more as compared to the older 4th Gen model.

I own a Honda City VX CVT ( 4th Gen / pre-facelift / 2016 model ) for almost 5 years now. So, based on my experience, I would personally suggest new Honda City V CVT petrol (5th Gen) as it fits all of your requirements perfectly.

Just few comments to justify it:
Quote:
1. The car will be used 90% for highway drives (I have business in two places which are 130 kilometres apart). I keep shuttling between these places once a week.
2. I travel mostly in late night or early morning to avoid infamous Kerala traffic.
4. Automatic is a must.
The Honda City CVT is really good for Highway drives. You will love it over Jazz. Since most of your drives is late night or early morning, the better headlights of Honda City would also help.
It would also add to your status since you travel for Business. And if you are being chauffeured, it the most comfortable car in the segment.

Quote:
5. Need a decent boot.
7. The car should give around 17 kmpl on highway drives.
10. Straight-line stability is more important than outright handling in the twisties as the car will be running on planes for more than 95%. I may take her once in a quarter to a hill station (Wayanad/ Ooty)
Best boot in the segment. Period.
If you drive at 80kmph with Cruise and if traffic is less at night drive, Honda City CVT may surprise you with even 20kmpl. I got it few times when my wife was driving between Chandigarh - Gurgaon. I usually drive 100+, so I get 13-15 kmpl on highways.
Stability is also really good. I won't compare it with the VAGs. But, compared to Hyundai and Maruti, its a lot better. I do trips to Himachal Pradesh and/or Uttrakhand once in 3-4 months and love the way Honda City handles on corners ( or twisties ).

Quote:
9. I intend to keep the car for a minimum of 5 years if used and 10 years if it’s a new one.
10 Year Honda warranty.
With the new Honda City, you can easily keep it for 10+ years and clock upto 2 lac Kilometers without any trouble.
As far as I knew you can get 7 years of warranty with Honda. i.e. you get 4 years with extended warranty and then you can extend the warranty every year for 3 years. Hence total 7 years.

One suggestion:
Go for Honda City VX CVT if your budget allows. It would give you the below benefits:
  • 16" Alloy wheels.
  • Safety - 6 Airbags
  • Sunroof - You would love it on your trip to a hill station (Wayanad/ Ooty) and at night drives in winter.
  • Few upgrades to Interior and feature list.
You will love the extra bang for your buck.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks