View Poll Results: What should I get?
Used Honda Amaze Diesel CVT 89 55.63%
New Nissan Magnite Petrol CVT 71 44.38%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2021, 18:10   #1
BHPian

Used Honda Amaze Diesel CVT vs New Nissan Magnite CVT

My friend has shortlisted used Honda Amaze diesel CVT and the new Nissan Magnite XV CVT.

He shortlisted these two cars based on the below requirements:

1. Must be a turbo engine (can’t live with NA engines)
2. Automatic. No AMT/Dual Clutch.
3. No low GC cars
4. 2 Airbags, ABS, EBD, ISOFIX. Good to have TC, ESP, hill hold control, rear wiper
5. Decent fuel efficiency 10-12 in city and 14 to 17 on highway
6. Good rear space for 2 medium size adults and 1 child with ISOFIX child seat
7. Trouble-free ownership. Can’t visit service center frequently.
8. Budget 10 to 11 lakhs for new and 6 to 7 lakhs for old

Advantage of used Amaze diesel CVT over Magnite

1. Save 3 to 4 lakhs money
2. Extra 3 to 5 KMPL mileage.
3. Better handling and ride quality
4. Better interiors
5. Honda’s reliability even though there are a quite few niggles reported in new-gen Amaze
6. Available immediately

Advantage of new Magnite over used Amaze diesel CVT

1. High GC
2. Better safety features - adjustable headrest, ESP, TC, Hill Hold control, rear wiper, reverse parking camera. These are not available in the Amaze diesel CVT V variant.
3. Android/Apple car play (not a deal-breaker though)

Given both cars offer similar performance, cabin space, and CVT transmission, does used Amaze diesel CVT makes a better VFM buy? Does spending an extra 3 to 4 lakhs on Magnite XV CVT for its active safety features worth? He is planning to keep the car for at least 5 years.

Currently, he drives VW Vento diesel MT which has given him enough headaches so looking for low maintenance, ease of driving, and relatively trouble-free ownership
swoosh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 18:54   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Used Honda Amaze Diesel CVT vs New Nissan Magnite CVT

If your friend can find a pre owned diesel Amaze that is under 25000km, that should be the preferred option. The lower initial and running costs make a difference. And the GC is not that low.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 19:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
Advantage of new Magnite over used Amaze diesel CVT

1. High GC
2. Better safety features - adjustable headrest, ESP, TC, Hill Hold control, rear wiper, reverse parking camera. These are not available in the Amaze diesel CVT V variant.
3. Android/Apple car play (not a deal-breaker though)
One more advantage of the Magnite would be that it will be noticeably smoother and silent, over the noisy diesel of the Amaze.

However, since your friend has already the experience of the VW Diesel, he surely won't mind the noise!
abhishek46 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 22:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
...relatively trouble-free ownership
I'd pick the Honda Amaze over Nissan Magnite for this reason alone.

Turbo petrol + patchy Nissan service network will keep me away from the Magnite.
landcruiser123 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 23:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Honda Amaze diesel is a lovely car, and the driving dynamics are good. Frugal yet punchy engine. I would choose that in a heartbeat.
Lalvaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 00:19   #6
BHPian

I do not like buying second hand cars until and unless I know who has driven the vehicle or have the history of the car. The chances are high that the car has been abused by the previous owner even if the running is less.

If you have the history of the car then Amaze anyday otherwise Magnite will be the choice for me. Also please factor in the Nissan service center availability near your friends place in case you decide upon magnite.

Happy shopping!
Agarwal_Aayush is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 07:52   #7
BHPian

I would suggest the Honda Amaze.

Nissan is still working on its dealer network and the Magnite is rather fresh product, so I won't go buy one right now and would wait for at least a year until Nissan irons out all the niggles and problems in the Magnite.

The Honda Amaze is the better one between the two simply cause of Honda. A Honda can never prove to be unreliable even if it is used. If your friend can get an Amaze that has run under a maximum of 30,000 kms, then I would say go for it.

Hope this helps,
Thanks.
PetrolHead2272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 09:27   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Used Honda Amaze Diesel CVT vs New Nissan Magnite CVT

Added a poll to the thread & voted for the Honda Amaze Diesel CVT. Reasons = Honda has done a fantastic job with mating the diesel to its petrol CVT (a masterstroke move), far higher fuel economy, more space, comfortable ride quality (Magnite is stiff / bumpy on bad roads) and better after-sales (Nissan's dealers are all thugs).

The Magnite - while a good car at the price - is built to strict costs and it shows.

Honda now offers warranties up to 10 years for its cars. Get the used Amaze maintained at a Honda dealer and it'll be a zero-risk purchase. Just follow each & every bit of advice in our used car buying article (ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India).
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 14:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Amaze diesel CVT. Why ? Rising fuel prices coupled with rising traffic means that is the best option available. You get the convenience of the CVT as well the diesel mileage. However make sure that you get a good used car, else the effort will be in waste.

But do remember going from a car like the Vento to the Amaze/Magnite might seem like an downgrade, not just in street presence but also in terms of the driving feel. Honda however seems to have the large network here and service will have a significant presence over the other.
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 15:34   #10
BHPian

I am replying on a purely subjective perspective. I am more attracted to the looks of Nissan Magnite as compared to Honda Amaze. I have voted for Magnite only for this reason.
However, going by the heart vs mind conclusion, the mind will definitely say Honda Amaze for any normal buyer.
gotoguru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 09:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

I don't have any experience with buying cars, let alone used cars, but I've voted for the Amaze. Since you're looking for peace of mind, you usually can't go wrong with a Honda. Meanwhile, there's a lot that can go wrong with Nissan ownership, though I'm happy to be corrected if they have improved (my family had a terrible experience switching to a Terrano after owning multiple Honda Citys - selling off the Honda was a decision we regret to this day). Also, the 1.5L i-DTEC has been around for a fairly long time, while the TCe100 is a new introduction in India (has been around for a while globally though).

Overall, the Amaze seems like a much more matured, refined car, however, a big miss is Electronic Stability Control - I see you have listed it as a 'good to have' feature but it's honestly far more important than it is often made out to be.

One factor I did not consider while voting is child safety. You didn't mention what type of child restraint will be used, but if you're using a rearward-facing installation I'd highly recommend stepping up to the Magnite. The Amaze's protection for a rearward-facing child occupant was found to be extremely poor in Global NCAP tests, meanwhile, the Renault Triber related to the Magnite scored fairly well on child safety.

Overall, given the difference in price and the added peace of mind you're gaining with a Honda, I'd suggest the Amaze, but make sure that you think hard before letting go of additional safety features.
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 09:55   #12
BHPian

Honda Amaze Diesel CVT is a great car. I had it for 2 years, 20000+ kms and sold it off in exchange for a used Crysta. The Amaze was
Spacious
Decent looking Cabin
Good A/c
Nice Engine, even though a little louder
The CVT was equally good and very easy to drive and had a good punch as well
Long trips were easy too and could hold 100+ kmph/hr comfortably

Personally, I was not getting a comfortable driving position in that car. Either I would like to complete sink, like in my Honda Civic or Sit tall in either my Thar or Crysta. Honda Amaze was neither here not there for me and I was not enjoying it. I also did not like the steering feel of that car. May be these are nit picking, but I eventually sold it off. But, defintely a very good buy over Magnite with that kind of savings.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 10:12   #13
BHPian

Well since he's coming from a vw diesel, if he's hoping for refinement and silence, then honda is not it. First gen amaze diesel was very noisy, they've improved it a bit in the second gen but it is still noisy, magnite will obviously be much more peaceful to deal with on that regard.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 10:38   #14
BHPian

Haven't driven Magnite CVT but have drive Amaze (D) CVT twice and found it to be smooth. Only issue faced was the 'noise' at the time of hard acceleration.
Mile_muncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 11:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

I almost booked the Amaze diesel CVT, biggest deal breaker was the front seat's adjustment range and poor underthigh support. Rest is all good. Do take a TD before taking the leap.
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks