Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2021, 08:28   #16
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia vRS suspension is too stiff for Mumbai; should I sell it for another car?

If you absolutely want to sell the VRS i would suggest buying a used Superb. This lateral swap would mean less financial burden and the superb being extremely comfortable would suit your needs as well. Its good to drive too, so you wont have to be in the head vs heart imbroglio each time you drive.
Old 18th September 2021, 08:57   #17
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia vRS suspension is too stiff for Mumbai; should I sell it for another car?

Get a new Duster 1.3 CVT, man! It's the solution to all your problems.

It's still got the softest suspension in the segment, CVT is good for daily commute, and a stonking 1.3 Litre turbo petrol. Like, this car is your everyday fun machine.

And the best part? It's very easy to find one with around Rs. 1.5 lakhs discount. We've still got 2020 stocks here in Kolkata.

Why I'm suggesting a new Duster over a used one-
(1) You won't get the CVT in the used one.
(2) Obviously, the engine.
(3) Since you mentioned petrol or diesel doesn't bother you, a new Duster makes sense.

You can also check out the Nissan Kicks.
I'm assuming you'll be okay with the service experience after experiencing Skoda.

All the best!
Big Smoke is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 09:40   #18
BHPian

If the car was not a vRS then maybe I would have advised you to sell it but in this case, I would say hang on to it. A vRS should be something that breaks the monotony of driving 'normal' cars and I certainly wouldn't use it as a daily driver. I second the options that GTO described, they seem to be apt options. You can keep the vRS for weekend drives and it would feel that much more special when you drive a vRS after a long week.

If it comes down to a daily beater car, I can advise a Ciaz. That is the car that I use for daily commutes (around 50-60 kms a day). Given the nature of my profession, I have to go for inspections in the worst places (in terms of roads) and the Ciaz suspension setup has been able to handle this beautifully over the past 3+ years. I would not advise to not go in for a Polo, it was my first car and everyone in my family complained about the suspension setup being uncomfortable even though overall it was a very capable car.
Old 18th September 2021, 09:56   #19
BHPian

I'll echo what others have said. Keep the vRS. It's one of a kind and such a special car!

I would suggest get a used or new Duster as your beater (depending on budget). Duster has a fantastic suspension setup, can handle all roads, potholes and monsoon related issues on Mumbai roads and then both your cars will complement each other well.
Old 18th September 2021, 10:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

How about swapping the suspension and wheel/tyres from a regular Octavia? Or even go for the adoptive dampers which (I think) the vRs abroad were sold with? This with regular 16" wheel with thicker sidewall should transform the ride quality.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 10:52   #21
BHPian

vRS is extremely rare and exceptional car. I agree 2-3 years old car have very bad depreciation but it is not applicable to vRS. In fact vRS has crazy resale value. If you have to sell the car, don't worry about depreciation but you should worry about you'll never be able to get this kind of gem of a car again.

My suggestion is to keep vRS and buy new Kushaq 1.0 TSI AT or Sonet D AT. Both have very decent ride quality and butter smooth AT for city traffic.
Kashi053 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 11:32   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuPanda View Post
Ha ha. Am gald that I was able to provide the opportunity
Even if the changing the suspension does not make a difference to the warranty, please do not spoil that awesome machine by making changes. Its a drivers car and the suspension is tuned to let you have fun. If possible, other than upgrading to better tyres, do not make ANY changes to this car yet.

Also, if you want a car with suspension better than C5s then a used Tata Hexa is your best bet. Its got everything going for it. Best suspension for any car under a crore (GTO’s words), beautiful engine-auto tranny match and loads of space for the kids too. You’ll get a great one for 12 lakhs. There is a thread on this forum by blackwasp on pre worshipped Tata Hexa advantages. Search for it and buy one. Beater cars don’t always have to be small cars. Tata Hexa had GREAT quality and build and Tata parts are cheap and available. It’ll make for a great second car.
Old 18th September 2021, 11:48   #23
BHPian

It dose not make sense to sell off the vRS. what you can consider is a smaller daily driver and if its going to be absolutely a city car and occasional limited kms outstation run then think of an electric Nexon. EV will serv your purpose and also will be a great relief in Mumbai traffic. bonus is all the saved money on fuel can be used to rev the vRS.
Old 18th September 2021, 11:50   #24
Mtv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
16 inchers, man! Plenty of good options to choose from for significantly less than 17”. You can expect a realistic tire life of 40-50k km too. Of course, high speed handling will not be as tight. But hey, OP’s a family man now!
16 won't clear the front brakes.

You can swap the stock shocks to Bilstein B6 like myself and many other VRS owners have, ride is supple over bumps but contained at speed. Worth every penny.

Also check to see if your transport pucks have been removed from the stock shocks, lots over dealers were unaware about this while delivering cars

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...nsporting.html (Skoda forgot to advise dealers to remove vRS suspension blocks (used for transporting))
Mtv is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 13:21   #25

Do let me know if you plan to sell the VRS. I am interested in a less driven example like yours.
Old 18th September 2021, 16:51   #26
BHPian

KUNGFUPANDA, Please don't sell your RS. It's the last affordable vRS made by skoda. And start looking into used market. Mumbai & Delhi are heavenly for used cars. Availability & pricing make rest of the guys in the country so envious. You can get a superb petrol at fraction of a price, make sure you get 16inch tyres and not 17. Camry may set you back by a several lakhs of rupees more. That said, am not sure if this has been told by others since I did not read other replies but looking at what rain has been doing in the region you live In. Several sedans water logged in the express way not so long ago. Pune was also wrecked by rain an year or two ago. Mumbai is seeing this every year. Why not get a practical tall crossover/suv. Not all cars have to be an enthusiast delight. A practical donkey will do the job. Innova Hector harrier etc
Old 18th September 2021, 19:05   #27
Team-BHP Support

Regarding suggestions to switch to 16” wheels - it’s not going to work because the vRS uses 340mm front rotors and large calipers, and 17” wheels just about clear the front brakes. Swapping the stock 17” to 16” is out of the question.

Check tyre-wear as it plays a crucial role in the ride quality as well. Switch to better tyres, it may make a difference to the ride quality.

If you still want to sell the car, please let me know and I’d gladly take it off your hands.
suhaas307 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 21:55   #28
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@Kunfufanda,

Glad you are keeping the Vrs.

Beater car: Used AT Innova Crysta should do the trick .
Old 18th September 2021, 23:49   #29
Team-BHP Support

If its driven about 25k kms, I'm assuming you are on your first set of tires. In which case, swap them out to new ones, it is surprising how much a new set of tyres can help.

Also the vRS is one of the cars off late which is commanding good prices in the used market. But I'd still suggest you keep it, and get a beater for which you don't have to worry at all.
Akshay1234 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 08:22   #30
BHPian

My suggestion is to keep the Vrs and use it as a fun car, a weekend ride. For your city commute look no further than an electric Nexon. It gives a decent 200 kms range in city traffic, your commute will be hassle free, carbon neutral, very low cost and whenever you need a bit of fun it can do 0-100 in 9 seconds
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks