Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2021, 11:31   #31
BANNED

Re: ₹12-15 Lakh Budget | Need an automatic for daily usage

i would strongly say that he should check out the magnite once.
even the top end CVT variant costs south of 11lakhs (which i also own btw).
It also gives enough power on highways and drivable in city traffic.
Sai_Tejas_1478 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 13:14   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
I'm not well qualified to make recommendations regarding the other requirements so I'll elaborate only on the safety portion of your requirements, but just to put any confusion to rest, only the following products that are available new have been tested by Global NCAP and obtained at least 4 stars for adult occupant protection. There are some which are rumoured to have lost their rating validity but since this is not confirmed I will include them nevertheless:
Tata Tiago/Tigor
Renault Triber
Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza*
Volkswagen Polo*
Mahindra Marazzo
Mahindra Thar (also passes UN GTR8 for ESC and ECE95 for side impact)
Tata Nexon* (5 stars)
Tata Altroz (5 stars)
Mahindra XUV300 (5 stars, Safer Choice Award for variants with ESC)
The 4-star rating of Vitara Brezza will not change, the facelift has brought only aesthetic improvements like the headlights, the grill and the bumper, unlike Nexon. Nexon's facelift includes not only aesthetic enhancements, but also changes in the front-end structure and roof. Because of sunroof, Nexon may lose the stable structure, Brezza will retain stable structure.

About Polo's 4star, Polo tested in 2014 with weaker and different global ncap protocol, rules changed in 2018 gncap made more stricter. Cars like Figo will not score same 3star if they crash test today.
Vignesh Vee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 13:52   #33
BHPian

Manza is a peculiar car to replace. Been there. Done that. Period.

Particularly in its petrol guise, Manza is hopeless to drive in stop and go traffic. But it was loaded with all the latest tech for that era, and the best rear seats on this side of Innova. So every CSUV is going to be a upgrade from the driving perspective and a couple of segments downgrade from the rear passenger perspective.

Balancing the rear seat space and comfort as well as driveability in the city, S cross petrol AT seems to be the most logical choice. Or may be a Rapid AT with 1.0 tsi and 6 speed TC AT or a Honda City with that sweet VTEC engine will be a good option too. Ciaz AT is good but a bit too long to drive in the stop and go traffic, besides looking a tad oldish.

The dark horse: Nexon EV. Perfect for someone upgraging from a Manza looking for a city car.

Last edited by Geta : 25th September 2021 at 13:56.
Geta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 14:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh Vee View Post
About Polo's 4star, Polo tested in 2014 with weaker and different global ncap protocol, rules changed in 2018 gncap made more stricter. Cars like Figo will not score same 3star if they crash test today.
Not true. Other NCAPs regularly update their assessment protocol but the SaferCarsForIndia program has been using the same test and assessment protocol since its inception in 2014 (It is identical to Latin NCAP's 2013-2015 assessment protocol). Neither the biomechanical performance limits/modifiers nor the scoring criteria have changed.

Last edited by ron178 : 25th September 2021 at 14:44. Reason: Adding links for reference
ron178 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 14:52   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Not true. Other NCAPs regularly update their assessment protocol but the SaferCarsForIndia program has been using the same test and assessment protocol since its inception in 2014 (It is identical to Latin NCAP's 2013-2015 assessment protocol). Neither the biomechanical performance limits/modifiers nor the scoring criteria have changed.
Nope. They changed the rules in 2018 and made more requirements for adult and child occupant protection.

Proof:

Watch this video from 3:21, where Technical director of Global NCAP Alejandro Furas clearly explains about this.

From 2018 onwards, cars has been tested according to this new protocol. New protocol assessment pdf is available in Global ncap website.

Last edited by Vignesh Vee : 25th September 2021 at 15:04.
Vignesh Vee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 14:59   #36
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
The 4-star rating of Vitara Brezza will not change, the facelift has brought only aesthetic improvements like the headlights, the grill and the bumper, unlike Nexon. Nexon's facelift includes not only aesthetic enhancements, but also changes in the front-end structure and roof. Because of sunroof, Nexon may lose the stable structure, Brezza will retain stable structure.........

Cars like Figo will not score same 3star if they crash test today.
Just to add to the post before me by BHPian ron178, NCAPs have a provision to grant the rating of the pre-facelift model to the newer facelift model without a crash test, provided that the manufacturer can demonstrate that the changes made do not affect the crash performance. Neither Tata, nor Maruti has taken the initiative, hence he puts them in the 'rumoured' category so that the readers aren't misled in case changes have been made to alter the crash performance; he's just erring on the side of caution here.

Also, the Aspire could potentially score a 4-star rating, provided that the structure is the same as the car tested before, and the passenger SBR (which is now standard equipment) meets GNCAP requirements.
rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 15:50   #37
BHPian

Normally I wouldn’t recommend the City but given your requirements and not being open to used cars I’d say get the City or Verna, both are relatively trouble free cars which will last long with basic maintenance. I’m not sure if he’s open to hatchbacks otherwise you can add i20 to the list. Stay away from VW/Skoda if reliable, abuse friendly and easy to maintain are top priorities. Bear in mind City is built poorly with thin sheet metal prone to dents and has high levels of road noise at moderate to high speeds (>60 km/hr). Other than that it’s a great car, also I’d say avoid the turbo variant of the Verna if you want to avoid complexity and a potential point of failure in the future. Cheers.
AJ56 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 16:05   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Watch this video from 3:21, where Technical director of Global NCAP Alejandro Furas clearly explains about this.
Sincere apologies. I believe the following paragraph was added to the scoring and visualisation section of the protocol in the August 2017 revision of the protocol, however, I will try to get confirmation and get back to you on this (I can't find the pre-2017 protocol).
Quote:
*To be eligible for 5 stars the car must score over 14 points in the ODB test (after application of modifiers).
In addition, it must have the full point on SBR, 4 Channel ABS and offer some side impact performance protection. To demonstrate the latter, a MDB test must be sponsored by the manufacturer on an actual
Global NCAP market car of the identical specification as the frontal crash car according to the test specification of ECE R95. The MDB test would need to be performed even in cases where under the regulatory requirements the vehicle would be exempted due to various reasons, for example seating position. In order to qualify for
5 stars, the performance criteria of ECE95 should be met. The test results may be published by Global NCAP. Where the car is equipped with a side protection airbag (curtain or thorax side airbag) the airbags should be standard fitted.
Nevertheless, no results should be affected since no car scored ≥14.00 points before the revision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
Also, the Aspire could potentially score a 4-star rating, provided that the structure is the same as the car tested before, and the passenger SBR (which is now standard equipment) meets GNCAP requirements.
Both driver and passenger SBR, actually. Both were missing on the test car and later made standard. Unfortunately we'll never be able to find out now.

Last edited by ron178 : 25th September 2021 at 16:27.
ron178 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 16:20   #39
anb
BHPian

Only vehicle with 4 or higher GNCAP rating and a proper automatic transmission is Brezza. But it comes with age old 4 speed auto. I suggest City CVT, Verna IVT or Astor . Astor looks promising with fantastic interiors and turbo petrol with torque converter automatic option.
anb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 16:53   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Nevertheless, no results should be affected since no car scored ≥14.00 points before the revision.
Both driver and passenger SBR, actually. Both were missing on the test car and later made standard. Unfortunately we'll never be able to find out now.
Results will be affected. The revision is not only for ≥14.00 points. As he said in the video, "At the beginning of testing in India the requirement was only a frontal crash test with certain scoring". We don't know what protocol they used to give scores in 2014-2017 tested cars.

That's why we can't compare (as an example) a 2016 tested Figo with a 2018 tested Swift.

About SBR: Now the Figo has SBR standard, but the Figo was tested in 2016 with a weaker protocol. The 2016 protocol doesn't have SBR points. SBR points were introduced in the 2018 protocol. So if Global NCAP crash tests the Figo today, it will not get the same scores.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th September 2021 at 19:25. Reason: Typos, grammar
Vignesh Vee is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 25th September 2021, 18:34   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Results will affect. Revision is not only for ≥14.00 points. As he said in the video "At the beginning of testing in india the requirement was only a frontal crash test with certain scoring". We don't know what protocol they used to give score's in 2014-2017 tested cars.
Quote:
3:39 For the adult occupant protection we have introduced changes in terms of more requirements for 5 stars. In this case, at least...
Also, the pre-August 2017 Protocol definitely had SBR points, or the adult occupant protection score would have been out of 16.00 and not 17.00. (Total frontal ODB test score is 16.00 points - in NCAPs around the world.) It's just that scoring the full 1.00 SBR point was probably not a requirement for 5 stars.

While I'm personally quite certain of it, I do not have solid evidence to prove my point about there being no changes in the scoring for 0-4 stars.

In either case, we are now extremely off-topic and should not continue this conversation until there are more updates. It will hamper readability and also hardly concerns the original post in any way. I will let you know if/when Alejandro responds.
Old 25th September 2021, 19:43   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejandro Furas (email communication)
Hello *****

Thank you for your message

Scoring threshold have not changed onto 2017, only for 5 stars and its requirements

We have also introduced a relevant change, we moved from using P dummies to use Q dummies, this was the main reason for protocols shift.

Reading both protocols you will be able to notice all differences

Thank you very much
Bests
The Q series dummies (a type of child dummy) better represent real child occupants, since the older P series dummies were archaic, and had been in use since 1981. Scoring criteria did not change.

About P series and Q series dummies

Quote:
Results will be affected. The revision is not only for ≥14.00 points.
Anyway, I think that settles that results can be compared. Hence, I stand by my original list of cars that have been tested, keeping intact the disclaimer I made earlier.

(Just for confirmation that it's really Mr Furas: )
Name:  Screenshot 20210925 at 7.33.21 PM.jpeg
Views: 620
Size:  46.9 KB

Last edited by ron178 : 25th September 2021 at 19:44.
Old 25th September 2021, 22:59   #43

Magnite xv premium turbo cvt is all I guess fits into your requirement. It carries everything you desire for, i.e :
1. SUV with 205 mm GC
2. Punchy petrol engine
3. Superbly tuned xtronic cvt
4. 4 Star safety
5. Segment first usable features such as 360 camera and wireless apple car play & android auto
6. Looks though subjective, but it is undoubtedly the best looking sub 4m SUV.
smartsubrat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 23:20   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Guys, will list a few options. Can anyone who owns these give their opinion on them here?

1. Tata Nexon XZ+(O) AMT
2. VW Vento 1.0 TC
3. Renault Kiger Turbo CVT

Familiar with build and all other factors of both cars, except the powertrains. So, specifically looking for views on the engine-gearbox combo.
I own a Skoda Rapid 1.0 MT & have driven my friend's Polo 1.0 AT extensively. (I am not sure if they have changed anything from a Polo to Vento to Rapid on Engine + gearbox combo's behavior)

But both are a hoot to drive. Especially the Polo begs to be driven hard in Sport mode. But a little bit on the noisier side than what I remember from 1.2 L engine. Gearshifts are not as fast as a DSG, but good enough & sporty enough in S mode, it's always on the boil in this mode. D mode is slightly calmer.
I would definitely recommend for them to go with a Vento/Rapid AT.

Neo
Old 27th September 2021, 12:30   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post

7. Has to have a minimum of 4* in GNCAP. Unless, it is a really VFM Product worth looking at.
This is your VFM reply (XL6 should have around 3 stars) -

I have been looking for an Automatic car in a similar price range. I checked out the XL6 and it pleasantly surprised me.

The lower-end punch is quite good as well.

The cons of this car for me are -
1. 4 speed gearbox (I don't drive faster than 100 on the highways anyway, so should be fine)
2. No auto-dimming IRVM
3. Wheels are on the smaller side, but hey, I can get around this.

I feel that it is a good and practical all-around package.

The stop-start system is a boon in traffic as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks